The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Ditched my 5D Mark II setup and i've moved to an X Pro 1 as i'm going to be travelling alot, grabbed it with the 35mm for a great deal. Hugely impressed so far, what are opinions on the 18mm?

I went exactly the same route.
Regarding the 18mm, it's a great lens as are the rest. It gets the least glowing reviews from the websites and the best reviews from it's users (go figure :) ).
Saying that I eventually traded in for the 18-55 because I wanted a versatile walkabout lens (again a great lens). Small & light vs less lens switching.

Well the 55-200 is a total winner, very light to work with in a wedding environment, super sharp, even shooting contre jour it doesn't suffer from flare. I was expecting the battery life to go out of the window using the OIS, I shot for several hours and was on my third battery at the end. So about par for the course.

One other thing I noticed, when using the ef20 flash, which by the way is a super little flash unit, I noticed that when you have taken a shot, the X pro won't allow another shot to be taken until the flash has recharged. Anyone else noticed the same ?

Nick

Last edited:
One straight out of the camera:

The Eye by PIPetrov, on Flickr

With my amateur post processing skills I just like the jpegs far more than anything I can achieve using photo editing software. And the 35mm is so sharp I don't think I've ever had a lens as sharp as this.

I won't spam this thread with images as these were taken with the X-E1, but I had an hour spare today so it seemed rude not to try the 55-200 out. Very, very pleasantly surprised by the AF speed (of the Fuji kit in general) after the horror stories I had heard...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157634005095926/

Castle Combe Motorcycle Raceday by Harry_S, on Flickr

I love this and the Flickr set. I was planning on keeping my 50d and 70-200 as I didn't think the Fuji would be up to motor sports. Looks like it more than will!

I love this and the Flickr set. I was planning on keeping my 50d and 70-200 as I didn't think the Fuji would be up to motor sports. Looks like it more than will!

I won't pretend it was completely straightforward, it's never going to be as good as a 50D and 70-200. It was easier than I had expected though and my keeper rate was very acceptable despite some pretty slow shutter speeds.

I was considering a cheap old DSLR and a 70-300 to compliment my Fuji kit specifically for motorsport, but I don't feel I need that now, spent the money on a X100 instead!

I came to an xp1 from a canon 5d2 and lots of l lenses. Iq on the canon was better but iq on the fuji is fine, especially with the 35mm lens which is exceptional. If I take a good picture with the fuji I sometimes think that it would have been better if i had used my canon gear. But I wouldn't have taken the picture with the canon gear due to the hassle of carting it all around.

Thanks Ian, I guess thats the main draw really.

I've been looking to replace my D7000 and was ahout to pull the trigger on a D600 but ultimately I want something thats going to be lightweight with good IQ mainly for travel but also to fulfil all of my photography needs.

The XP1 remains quite pricey (especially the lenses) but in the brief few weeks I had one to play with last year I loved it, I'm perhaps a little nervous about selling off my D7000 and lenses nad moving fully over to a X-System.

For those of you that came over from a DSLR (or still have one) and an X-Series how do you feel the IQ compares? Either to high end DX cameras (D7000, 7D) or Full Frame?

I have a K-5 with DA* lenses, including the 50-135 which is an incredible piece of glass and I also have owned the 21 and 40mm pancakes from Pentax.

I've recently acquired an X-E1 with the kit 18-55 2.8-4 lens and I am not the hunt for the 35mm 1.4 s/h so I can get it a bit cheaper.

JPEGs from both cameras are sharp and with nice colours. Still slightly prefer the 50-135 RAW results but I put that down to the quality of the lens and maybe the processing of XTrans Raw files in Aperture. If you stick to JPEGs the XE-1 is just as good if not better than the K-5.

I am not selling my K-5 because there is no alternative to the 50-135 for the X cameras yet but I am now using the X-E1 about 65% of the time... When I get the 10-24 and the 35 1.4 I think the usage will jump to 90%.

The reasons? Camera+lens is lighter than the K-5 without lens, fill flash is much better, I like the controls a bit more and the film sim modes are actually useful as opposed to gimmicky.

I'm a huge fan of prime lenses which is something that actually grew out of my use of an XP1 and OMD last year, I don't own a zoom lens at all for the Nikon and truth be told the D7000 with one of them isn't massive or that heavy and the IQ is very good, but I tend to find I'm carrying a few and it does add up.

Very attracted to the XP1 and a prime setup of 14, 35, 60 and maybe the 18.

... due to the hassle of carting it all around.

This ! I've had mine for nearly a year with the 35mm and I have done more photography in that time than the previous 10 years with my host of Canon equipment. I'm sure it's not for everyone but portability makes a world of difference to me and limiting myself to one focal length has made me put more effort into shots.

That said I picked up a 55-200 today ( holiday next week ) and I'm already having second thoughts having nearly doubled the weight of my gear ;)

This ! I've had mine for nearly a year with the 35mm and I have done more photography in that time than the previous 10 years with my host of Canon equipment. I'm sure it's not for everyone but portability makes a world of difference to me and limiting myself to one focal length has made me put more effort into shots.

That said I picked up a 55-200 today ( holiday next week ) and I'm already having second thoughts having nearly doubled the weight of my gear ;)

It's a great lens pun sharp and quite light, especially when compared to my old Nikon 70-200 vr11. Though sometimes the focus can be slow, when locked on its bang on every time. My kit now weighs pretty much the same as a D3 and big zoom combo.

Like you I can and do take my kit everywhere I go now. It fits quite nicely into a small Domke bag.

For those of you that came over from a DSLR (or still have one) and an X-Series how do you feel the IQ compares? Either to high end DX cameras (D7000, 7D) or Full Frame?

I came from a lowly 500D & fast glass, the iQ of the fuji blows the canon out of the water, even when the canon is shooting with a sharp F2.8

As the other Ian has said the 35mm is to die for, the results it produces are stunning, the OOC jpg's from it & the XP1 blew me away and still do every time I use it.

Similarly with the 60mm, though if your not into macro it might be better to hang on for the 56mm F1.2 for portraits.

To be honest the only things I'd want a DSLR for now is to cover the long end (300mm +) and even then you know your going to have to go full frame & back to shooting raw + processing to get the iQ your used to with the fuji.

I was very happy with the XP1 plus 18-35-60 prime setup. I am not quite sure why but I swapped my 60 for the 18-55 zoom (which I've barely used since). I like a long prime but the slow AF on the 60 was driving me mad and I'm happy enough to have the zoom until the 56/1.2 comes out. If I could sell the 18mm for a reasonably price I would and get the 14mm instead.

I've started using MF lately with all lenses with all 18mm, 35mm and the 60mm and I can say it is faster and it focuses exactly where I want :)

I've started using MF lately with all lenses with all 18mm, 35mm and the 60mm and I can say it is faster and it focuses exactly where I want :)

That's interesting, whilst the AF clearly could be faster, I could never fault it for accuracy. I'm 1500 shots in to Fuji X life now and I don't think I've missed focus once. Having got used to Micro 4/3 gear I instinctively look for a bit of contrast to aim at, but even shooting fast moving cars it's much, much more accurate than any DSLR I've owned.

I have been trying out my new 18-55 zoom, swapped for a 60mm. The zoom is handy, the IS great and I'll keep it for the holidays but I prefer using the 60mm. I am now dithering between buying a used 60mm or waiting for the 56mm which is what I think I really want.

Anyway, a summery snap with the zoom to brighten up the post. Please don't pixel-peep at the reflections of the builders' rubble in my daughter's sunglasses!

9192531568_5f1d8ddea5_b.jpg

I so want one of these. The pending 23mm and 56mm would be perfect for me. Just need to raise some funds! Kidney anyone?

Get the 35mm too. Lovely lens. I could probably live with just that one if pushed.

I couldn't agree more, its a gem of a lens, in fact my 60mm spends a lot less time on the camera since I got it.

Ian - Unless your going to shoot macro as well then it might be worth hanging on and making do with the zoom for now as there is bound to be a small flood of secondhand 60mm's and resultant drop in secondhand price when the 56mm hits the shops.

PS cracking shot of your daughter.

Get the 35mm too. Lovely lens. I could probably live with just that one if pushed.

Ok! :)

Just pulled the trigger so to speak on the Fuji refurb store with their 10% discount. £719 seems a good price. My X100 came from their and was as good as new. Just need to source a lens now. Will just be the 35mm until the 35 and 85 equivalent come out.

Edit:- managed to get a 35mm from a Facebook group for a decent price too. Should all be here tomorrow! Beltin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's here! You know, aside from the camera itself, which I haven't used properly yet, I cannot say enough about the simply superb Fuji customer service.

I bought the 35mm used as I said above and the chap told me it came with everything except the wrapping cloth that ships with it. I rang fuji, told them about my order for the body and the chap said it isn't really a part they sell but he would take my order number and if one was knocking about, they would send it out. Well, the X-Pro1 arrived today and attached to a compliment slip was the lens cloth. I had to ring them to thank them. Just excellent. Now, I need to finish work so I can take some photos.

Any body know where I can the 55-200? Every where I look it's out of stock?!

Thanks

You won't be dissapointed. It is a stunning lens.

WEX doesn't know if I have one or not, they took my money and saying they are waiting for stock?! Really? I ordered @ 21:15 last night. Not good.

WEX doesn't know if I have one or not, they took my money and saying they are waiting for stock?! Really? I ordered @ 21:15 last night. Not good.

Call LCE in Derby and check their stock. If they have they will hold for you then demand that WEX give your cash back. That is NOT good.

Call LCE in Derby and check their stock. If they have they will hold for you then demand that WEX give your cash back. That is NOT good.

Hi, I bought one today from "Seymour Harrison" (Folkestone) and got it slightly discounted. I don't know if they have any more but their telephone number is as follows if your interested.

01303-253328 the man to speak to is Adrian Harrison.(y)

Hope this helps.

Right gents, I'm seriously considering a fuji x1-pro and dropping my canon gear. I've read all the reviews on the net and keep changing my mind!

So..no ********* what's the AF really like? My main concern is that on the Internet it sounds like it's basically impossible to take pictures of moving subjects?

I mainly shoot documentary style, cities etc... and pictures of my 2 daughters (2 & 7 months).

I was going to go with the body, 35 f1.4 and the 18mm which fuji are giving you for nothing if you buy the body and 35mm.

I've currently got a 5d mkii, 35L, 85 1.4 and 135L but I'm getting annoyed with carrying the lot around. I want portability and IQ as I'm use to FF but I want it still get photos of my daughters!

I was also going to get a x100s to go along with the x1 pro as I love the 35mm on full frame.

Thoughts guys?

Hi Paul
Its got a lot better due to continuous firmware updates and there's a major one due later this month for both bodies and lenses that will also give X-Pro1 owners focus peaking as well.
(note ..Fuji are great for support and firmware updates, its like they're constantly working to not only develop newer models but also get the best out of current models too)

It's not as fast as a dslr but its very accurate and certainly fast enough for most things, I've even managed birds in flight.

Like most changes with gear its getting used the the quirks and nuances, but its so intuitive that it becomes second nature very quickly.

Last edited:
I agree with Ian. AF is slow on most lenses (I find the 18 perfectly fine) but accurate. Reasonably static subjects are ok, anything that moves needs good technique which I haven't got. Local wedding pro now uses an xp1 alongside his Nikons and says he is slowly using the fuji more and more as he gets used to the quirks.

Late to the party but I got there in the end :D

I've been dallying over buying one of these for about 3 months, played with one in the camera shop around the corner from work a few times, made the decision today but the only one they had in stock was the display camera. I was offered a small discount but the guy couldn't tell me how long it'd been on display and it had clear marks from handling. The clincher was getting back to the office and checking WEX, who not only had brand new cameras in stock but were also cheaper than the discounted price I'd been offered. Bit of a no-brainer, really.

I sprung the extra for Saturday delivery, we're off to see the Creatures From The Deep parade thing in Newbury in the evening so hopefully I'll get a chance to see the high ISO performance for myself. (y)

The high ISO really is fantastic for when really needed. I'm also really impressed with the medium ISO. When out in the early morning I keep thinking I need to get the ISO really low to get the best shot. Nothing of the sort. I can happily let it go to 1600 and it's still clean enough for a big print.

It's arrived, though ParcelForce gave me palpitations by not delivering until just before the Saturday morning delivery cut-off time :D

I've got the 35mm lens and as part of the deal I get a free 18mm lens but I have to wait 14 days after purchase to submit my claim. Wonder how many people forget to submit? Or if there's going to be an updated version released soon and the deal is to encourage people to buy existing stock?

No matter, I'm as happy as a spaniel in a pond. No test shots yet, I'm restraining myself until the battery is fully charged and I've got a few chores to do in the meantime, part of my arrangement with Enjoyment Control when I buy new toys.

Does anyone want to buy a dozen film cameras, by any chance? ;)

Does anyone want to buy a dozen film cameras, by any chance? ;)

Well... stick 'em on the trade page and we'll see! (Your Camera Bag is uninformative, maybe becaues it changes so often, Dean?)

Back