The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

The 18mm in my eyes is a waste to keep unless you want a pancake. Could free up the cash towards the more useful 55-200.

Sounds like you'll be talking to the right person then. Good luck with it all.

Thanks. A pancake could be handy so it'll slip into a big pocket - I'll see what the chap says about his kit.

Stop it fuji! Refurb store has some reduced prices, the 14mm for £499 now! Very tempted as would like a wide angle lens, but was think more for the d700.

Has anyone bought a generic Thumb Up type grip for their X Pro? I have seen THESE on Amazon reasonably priced but was wondering if they were a decent fit and were actually long enough for the X Pro. I am also after a decent soft release button. I bought one of THESE and they are rubbish. Exactly like a drawing pin which you can't grip to tighten and if you do tighten it you cant grip it to remove it. I know you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

The thumb grips pictured with the allen key look to be the same as the one I got from china last year for the X100. I tried it on the x-pro when it arrived but haven't been using it as it's silver. But it gives that little bit of extra purchase which makes one handed holding a bit more secure.
My concern over it would be that it's putting a fair amount of sideways pressure on the hotshoe if you have a heavier lens mounted and I've seen reports of hotshoes popping off. I'll take a quick snap of it mounted to let you see shortly.

Edit: done
View attachment 5865 View attachment 5865

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! It looks really short for the X Pro and in fact all the reviews I have read on Amazon say that the generic one's are far too short. Looks like it needs to be about 20mm longer? How did you find it length wise?

It's not too uncomfortable to use at that length but then I haven't actually used the camera for any length of time with it fiited. At the moment I'm going to continue using without a grip of any sort. If I decide I need one I would be looking for a properly fitted one like the (not sure if this is right) matchtech one.

Would also be interested in seeing replies to your soft release part of your post as that is something I may want to add.

It's not too uncomfortable to use at that length but then I haven't actually used the camera for any length of time with it fiited. At the moment I'm going to continue using without a grip of any sort. If I decide I need one I would be looking for a properly fitted one like the (not sure if this is right) matchtech one.

Would also be interested in seeing replies to your soft release part of your post as that is something I may want to add.
This is the one you mean CLICKY
It does look fab.

Edit: Not sure it's worth $130.

Last edited:
Found THIS on Ebay which shows photos of it mounted on an X Pro 1. Looks decent enough apart from the "shoot" logo on the front....and only £9.99 delivered.

On the 25th, I should be collecting an X-Pr0 1, 18, 60, 18-55 and 55-200. Looking forward to it! I've still got my old LowePro Nova 4 bag which should be just the bag for it, possibly with a little spare space for a compact. For holiday use, I'll probably use a rucksack type bag but for general walking around, the Nova should be close to ideal, allowing easy access to everything while it's over a shoulder. Been digging out D800 boxes and cables for the trade-in. Tried not to see what I paid for it... After cashback, the swap is likely to cost me around £400 but considering that'll be for a complete system rather than just a body, I can live with that. How will I survive the 10 day wait?

The free lens is a claim from fuji. The retailer won't give it to you. Around 28 days wait. If that's how you got the 60.

Congrats btw.

Last edited:
So who has the 14mm and what do you think? Any sample pics?

My fave lens, I love it. It focuses really fast and is extremely sharp and is very quiet. A fraction bigger than the 35mm. I think it will be a great walkaround lens if I ever get out of the house again with this weather. I am off to Hong Kong in April and it will be the first lens in my bag. I wish I had waited a couple of weeks as you have kindly pointed out it has been reduced by 50 quid.:mad:
Sorry the pics don't help you much because they were taken in fog, but you get the idea. THIS is a pretty good review.

Village Clink, Broughton, Cambridgeshire.
by mmayson, on Flickr

Foggy All Saints Church, Broughton, Cambridgeshire. HDR
by mmayson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I was also thinking about the 14mm but not sure if it will be wide enough, I was going to wait for the 10-24mm. I am also considering the Zeiss 12mm, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has this.
Decisions decisions.....:)

The free lens is a claim from fuji. The retailer won't give it to you. Around 28 days wait. If that's how you got the 60.

Congrats btw.

Sorry, yes, the 60 will be a wait for it but they seem to be on a 10-14 day turnaround at the moment - and I'll have the D700 and 105 Macro anyway. I can hope and anyway, I'm a patient man.

Sorry, yes, the 60 will be a wait for it but they seem to be on a 10-14 day turnaround at the moment - and I'll have the D700 and 105 Macro anyway. I can hope and anyway, I'm a patient man.

My 60 took almost a month, as you say, its not an issue, its a free lens and it will eventually arrive. Bit OT but I tested my X100s today, WOW, what a nice little camera. A definite improvement over the X100 IMHO.

Knocking around Harrods today, they had a boxed special edition XP1 in yellow lizard wrap, with three lenses, filter set and goodies.

You know what? It was actually quite nice...

On the 25th, I should be collecting an X-Pr0 1, 18, 60, 18-55 and 55-200. Looking forward to it! I've still got my old LowePro Nova 4 bag which should be just the bag for it, possibly with a little spare space for a compact. For holiday use, I'll probably use a rucksack type bag but for general walking around, the Nova should be close to ideal, allowing easy access to everything while it's over a shoulder. Been digging out D800 boxes and cables for the trade-in. Tried not to see what I paid for it... After cashback, the swap is likely to cost me around £400 but considering that'll be for a complete system rather than just a body, I can live with that. How will I survive the 10 day wait?

Finally... ;) Glad you sorted one Nod.. you're gonna fall in love with this baby.

I'm very tempted indeed, but the price - even used - is well out of reach for me and will probably remain so, until this model is getting long in the tooth anyway. Pity.

I plan on reading this entire thread later today, but I just wondered if there were any words of wisdom for a new XP1 owner?

I've bought the grip and 35mm 1.4, so far so good :)

I plan on reading this entire thread later today, but I just wondered if there were any words of wisdom for a new XP1 owner?

I've bought the grip and 35mm 1.4, so far so good :)

Probably the most obvious thing is to make sure you are running the current firmware in body and lens. I am a new owner, but from reading the thread each firmware update improves the camera and lens considerably.

Body update: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xpro1/index.html

Lens update: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/lens/xf35mm/index.html

Last edited:
We managed to sell our un-used Keyton furniture over the weekend. So I am able to stay in the club.

Clare has given the okay to order the 35mm & 55-200mm. Also, I can keep the 60mm if I want too. She's good to me.

:)

I was also thinking about the 14mm but not sure if it will be wide enough, I was going to wait for the 10-24mm. I am also considering the Zeiss 12mm, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has this.
Decisions decisions.....:)

Samyang 8mm FTW.

Good news Simon!

Back