The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

So which combo would you have? 14, 18, 35, 60 or 18, 35, 56. I can manage to get either. I currently have 18, 35 and 60 and can find enough to either get a refurb 14 when they are back in stock or sell the 60 and get the 56. Thoughts?

The 60 is a very nice portrait lens so is a reasonable substitute for the 56. But the 18 isn't very wide so the 14mm is probably important if you want to go wide regularly. I've got the 14 and the 56 and with the 35 that is my ideal three lens kit. The 18 and 18-55 zoom are not worth selling at current prices so I keep them just in case.

I was thinking about purchasing the 56mm which looks superb but have pre-ordered the Carl Zeiss Touit 50mm f2.8. Although it's a stop smaller than the 56mm it is a true macro lens with 1:1 magnification. It also has 9 blades which should make for some interesting bokeh when opened up. The 50mm is equivalent to a 75mm full-frame (1.5cf) so it's an ideal portrait lens.

I opted for this lens because of the flexibility of being used for both portrait and macro. I considered taking the 60mm as a free lens as part of the ongoing promotion until the end of the month but instead opted for the 35mm for its f1.4 capability. The 60mm gives good results on the subjects I tried out, however, the 56mm is better. The 60mm is not a true macro and has a few close-focusing issues on shiny metal such as mortise keys. The 56mm, although a blistering fast lens is not a macro.

There is high demand already for the Zeiss Touit 50mm and I'm looking at the end of April, beginning of May for delivery. Hopefully it will live up to expectation and be well worth the wait.

This will complete my line up of X lenses: 8mm (Samyang) 18mm (free), 23mm, 35mm (free), 18-55mm & 55-200mm. The 23mm f1.4 in my opinion is the most versatile lens of the whole lot and stands out as being incredibly sharp from corner-to-corner. If I could only choose one lens this would be it!

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Last edited:
Fuji now just need to get their flash system up to the same standard as their lenses and bodies ! Hopefully, this will happen
In the very near future .

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Fuji now just need to get their flash system up to the same standard as their lenses and bodies ! Hopefully, this will happen
In the very near future .

Hi, "Shhh" please don't tell anyone!

My son who is not too bad with electrics etc has made me up an adapter to use with my Fuji X cameras that enables me to use my Nikon SU800/SB800 system in TTL mode on the Fuji X cameras.

Not as many facilities of course as the Nikon system as Fuji cameras don't have them but everything the Fuji system does have works with my Nikon system when using this adapter. It's not the prettiest thing to look at as it's homemade but it works perfectly.

Also as I mentioned in another thread, recently one of the reps from the Metz importers (Intro 2020) recently called in to see us and said there is a very strong feeling in their camp that Metz are working on something for the Fuji X cameras. We live in hope.

Hi, "Shhh" please don't tell anyone!

My son who is not too bad with electrics etc has made me up an adapter to use with my Fuji X cameras that enables me to use my Nikon SU800/SB800 system in TTL mode on the Fuji X cameras.

Not as many facilities of course as the Nikon system as Fuji cameras don't have them but everything the Fuji system does have works with my Nikon system when using this adapter. It's not the prettiest thing to look at as it's homemade but it works perfectly.

Also as I mentioned in another thread, recently one of the reps from the Metz importers (Intro 2020) recently called in to see us and said there is a very strong feeling in their camp that Metz are working on something for the Fuji X cameras. We live in hope.
Oooooh details?

Oooooh details?

Hi Andy, He asked me not to say too much as quite a few people have asked him if he would knock one out for them.

But just for you, I understand that what he basically did was to make up a little box that attached to the hot shoe of the Fuji cameras with the contacts in the correct place and then adapt that with a bit of electronics wizardry to one end of a Nikon SC17 TTL cord and then obviously the Nikon gear attached to that. God knows how he managed it but it works and that's all that really matters to me.

He did first try it by adapting a Canon to Nikon cord arrangement but it just wouldn't work properly, so he ended up making the adapter box etc his self.

Hope this helps.

George.

Hi Andy, He asked me not to say too much as quite a few people have asked him if he would knock one out for them.

But just for you, I understand that what he basically did was to make up a little box that attached to the hot shoe of the Fuji cameras with the contacts in the correct place and then adapt that with a bit of electronics wizardry to one end of a Nikon SC17 TTL cord and then obviously the Nikon gear attached to that. God knows how he managed it but it works and that's all that really matters to me.

He did first try it by adapting a Canon to Nikon cord arrangement but it just wouldn't work properly, so he ended up making the adapter box etc his self.

Hope this helps.

George.

Would it be possible for him to make one that works with canon flashes? I'd be happy to pay for it

Would it be possible for him to make one that works with canon flashes? I'd be happy to pay for it

Hi Andy, I really haven't the faintest idea if he can or would do that (as I think he may try to market them) but what I'll do is email him your website link that I have taken from TP (he's in Tennessee at the moment) and if he's interested then I guess he'll get in touch with you direct.

George.

Hi Andy, I really haven't the faintest idea if he can or would do that (as I think he may try to market them) but what I'll do is email him your website link that I have taken from TP (he's in Tennessee at the moment) and if he's interested then I guess he'll get in touch with you direct.

George.

Cheers

Andy

So where's the shots ? :) I am seriously thinking of going for one of theses and ditching the 18mm, gonna keep my 35mm tho, it's a great lens.
Seriously though I really want to see the output from the 10-24 before I go for one.

It wasn't me who got the lens Jim, it was someone else, i was just saying I was interested to see how they got on and stating the issues that I had found through my research as I am looking at this lens (10-24) or the 14mm.

I need to re-jig the dividers in my Retrospective 7. My Ebay rear lens caps arrived last week, and I glued them back-to-back yesterday. That's made a significant improvement in using the space inside the bag with the 35mm on the body, the 18mm and 65mm back-to-back, plus the 55-200mm.

I'm thinking of getting a retrospective 7 but unfortunately there are no shops around me to see one in the flesh and try it for size.

How much extra space is there when you have body and all 4 lenses inside? Would I fit a 14mm and 8mm samyang along with what you have?

Trying to do a bit more research this time before adding yet another bag to the collection.

I'm thinking of getting a retrospective 7 but unfortunately there are no shops around me to see one in the flesh and try it for size.

How much extra space is there when you have body and all 4 lenses inside? Would I fit a 14mm and 8mm samyang along with what you have?

Trying to do a bit more research this time before adding yet another bag to the collection.

I think you'd be pushing it to get another two lenses in - it might be possible, but access to get any specific lens out might be awkward. With the four lenses I mention, I was able to pack for a weekend away with chargers, tablet, kindle, EF-X20, travel documents, medications, etc. all comfortably in the Retrospective 7 - the front pocket was still empty - but no useful space for an additional lens. If you don't have the 55-200 you should be able to get two shorter lenses back-to-back in its place.

In summary, Retrospective 7 - comfortable with body and four lenses plus the usual bits and pieces, I couldn't really recommend it for more than that.

Thanks Alastair. The chances of me ever carrying them all at one time are slim, but having the option would be nice.

I have a Retro 7 and easily get an XP-1, 14mm, 35mm, 56mm, small flash, cards, batteries, iPad Mini, charger, filters in the main compartment, you can stack the lenses and still have the front and rear pocket for other stuff.. Great bag and highly recommended.

There is one in the classifieds, new and unused at a good saving too. (y)

I have a Retro 7 and easily get an XP-1, 14mm, 35mm, 56mm, small flash, cards, batteries, iPad Mini, charger, filters in the main compartment, you can stack the lenses and still have the front and rear pocket for other stuff.. Great bag and highly recommended.

There is one in the classifieds, new and unused at a good saving too. (y)

Thanks for the marketing, I have just sold it on here. :ty:

Fantastic bag, but due to my disabilities I will be better keeping the weight down and sticking with the Crumpler Light Delight.

I have a Retro 7 and easily get an XP-1, 14mm, 35mm, 56mm, small flash, cards, batteries, iPad Mini, charger, filters in the main compartment, you can stack the lenses and still have the front and rear pocket for other stuff.. Great bag and highly recommended.(y)

I recommend it too, just not for the load-out that Colin is considering (XP-1, 8mm, 14mm, 18mm, 35mm, 60mm, 55-200mm) - it's at least one lens too many, probably two too many for this bag.

And I can really recommend the lens stacking idea, I can't remember if I found it on this thread or Fujix.

I know there not cheap but I love my Billingham Hadley Pro, its a great bag to cart around ;)

I get my X-pro, 18mm, 27mm, 18-55, 35 and 55-200 plus a flash in mine, its like a tardis

Last edited:
FROM POST 2042: I was thinking about purchasing the 56mm which looks superb but have pre-ordered the Carl Zeiss Touit 50mm f2.8. Although it's a stop smaller than the 56mm it is a true macro lens with 1:1 magnification. It also has 9 blades which should make for some interesting bokeh when opened up. The 50mm is equivalent to a 75mm full-frame (1.5cf) so it's an ideal portrait lens.

I agree with the sentiment above that the CZ lens looks really interesting is it not though more-or-less three stops slower than the 56f1.2 ? I might have misunderstood the above ? Please excuse if I have.

It`s actually 2.33 stops slower.

There you are that's clarified that one. Thank you !

For me, I don't see this as a major issues as I have the 23mm f1.4 - 35mm f1.4 in my bag which are both very fast. The benefits of the CZT 50mm f2.8 outway the extra 2.33 stops.

On the topic of bags. I highly recommend a Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 10. It took me a little while to figure out the best layout for the camera itself but it's really a great bag with a surprising amount of room and very comfortable to wear.

Last edited:
There you are that's clarified that one. Thank you !

For me, I don't see this as a major issues as I have the 23mm f1.4 - 35mm f1.4 in my bag which are both very fast. The benefits of the CZT 50mm f2.8 outway the extra 2.33 stops.

It's horses for courses. Having spent Saturday evening shooting with the Fuji 60mm in very low light I can see circumstances where the extra speed of the 56mm is very desirable if it will translate into faster low-light focussing.

Got my Nikon adapter feels pretty solid for £20. Mounted the Zeiss Otus for a test:

31647m0.jpg

I'm thinking it might be a bit of overkill. Think I might look at this Fuji 56mm.

It's horses for courses. Having spent Saturday evening shooting with the Fuji 60mm in very low light I can see circumstances where the extra speed of the 56mm is very desirable if it will translate into faster low-light focussing.

As you say 'horses for courses' but my other two will cover that, or up the very good ISO of course. If shooting portraits in very low light I would be using diffused flash anyway if it really was that bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the marketing, I have just sold it on here. :ty:

Fantastic bag, but due to my disabilities I will be better keeping the weight down and sticking with the Crumpler Light Delight.

I just sold my Think Tank for the same reason,and brought a lowepro under half the weight of the Think Tank :)

ISO was maxed out, 60mm was wide open, shutter speed was as low as 1/30 at times.. I did get the EF-X20 out, but with a party situation complex flash diffusion isn't always practical - and can alert the subjects and spoil the candid moment.. It's certainly got me considering the 56mm, although this type of photography isn't something I generally do a lot of. Although I may holdout to see if a 75/1.8 or 85/1.8 makes an appearance in the line up. A decent portrait tele prime is desperately lacking at the moment.

Edit: corrected focal length in opening sentence..

Last edited:
I've just pulled the trigger on the 14mm. I'm trying to work out what to do with the 18mm as I have the 35 and the 60.ideally I would like to have the 23 and then just abandon the 18 altogether but it will be a long time before I can afford the 23. I'm consider trying to swap the 18 for the 27. I will have 2 bodies so I'm thinking maybe a 2 lens combo of 14 and 35 would cover most things and swap the 14 over to the 60 for closeups when wide angle not needed. Maybe I don't need the 18 at all.......

I bought the 27mm Christmas time but still find myself going for the 18 or the 35 or even the 18-55, I think I have used the 27mm once tbh

I'm going to give the 18 a test out on Saturday and see what I think as I've only played with it indoors so far

Got my Nikon adapter feels pretty solid for £20. Mounted the Zeiss Otus for a test:

31647m0.jpg

I'm thinking it might be a bit of overkill. Think I might look at this Fuji 56mm.

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "That ain't overkill..."
I stuck ChrisWilson's 600mm f/4 on the front of my 1AW (Nikon)...

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/56065759@N00/11482884123/player/" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe> Thanks, Flickr - make it easy to share private shots!

Only snapped a quick shot of my XF-1 with it (and a 1.4x telecom!) so not really worth posting the result!

Last edited:
27mm is a great compact lens but tbh I think you be better saving for the 23mm ;)

The 23mm f1.4 is a brilliantly sharp little lens, if I had to choose only one lens this would it. Equivalent to 35mm I prefer this is as my standard lens. There is nothing 'standard' about it, the all metal construction is very good quality. The optics are very sharp from corner-to-corner, I often just go out with the camera and this lens only, it's a very versatile combination.

Here is one of the Glass Caves in York last weekend. The 1st is straight out of the camera, the 2nd taken at the same time but with a little bit of PP
1)

2)

Last edited:
The 23mm f1.4 is a brilliantly sharp little lens, if I had to choose only one lens this would it. Equivalent to 35mm I prefer this is my standard lens. There is nothing 'standard' about it, the all metal construction is very good quality. The optics are very sharp from corner to corner.
I often just go out with the camera and the lens only, it's a very versatile combination.

I always used to do that with my canon 35L. So it makes sense I get it at some point. It would have made sense to get it before the 14 but I just really wanted that!

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "That ain't overkill..."
I stuck ChrisWilson's 600mm f/4 on the front of my 1AW (Nikon)...

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/56065759@N00/11482884123/player/" width="500" height="333" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe> Thanks, Flickr - make it easy to share private shots!

Only snapped a quick shot of my XF-1 with it (and a 1.4x telecom!) so not really worth posting the result!

Wow. You must be able to see the flag on the moon with that.

Picked an X-Pro1 up from on here for a good price with the 35. Had a play about with it quite impressed so far, just bought an adapter to use some Nikon glass on it. Is this a battery hungry camera?

Where did you get the adaptor from please? Does it give you aperture control? thanks

All my Nikon lenses are the G type so that's not going to be ideal. Annoying as I was able to find lots of cheap ones 'Nikon G to NEX' when I had my NEX6 camera

Back