The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

City-Link turned up at 12.15 today, bang on schedule - thumb's-up to the driver who apologised for not being able to leave it with a neighbour on Friday, but it was addressed "Consignee-Only". "I was amazed you weren't in," he said. "You're usually one of my 'certs' to be home." The guy knows me far too well, which suggests I order waaaaaay too much stuff online :oops: :$

Lens fitted & f/w updated.

I'm still waiting on a few accessories - wrist strap, thumb-grip & soft-release that are on order, but basically good to go :)

Just need the pigging rain to stop (and my cash-back to turn up)!

Last edited:
Well that didn't take long (second trip outside) where is the best place to get those stupid rubber lens caps from?

Jeeeez, just seen the price of the dam things.

Last edited:
Binned my Fuji hood off and got a 52mm metal one with a 55mm pinch cap and that does the job nicely, leaving the Fuji in the box if I decide ever to sell my 35mm.;)

any thoughts on the 56mm vs 60mm?

I'm leaning towards the 60mm (indeed, now regretting not getting it as my free lens) on the basis that I use a Nikon 60mm macro for nearly all my studio portrait work and I've a 85/1.4 that gathers dust

As a freebie, the 60 can't be faulted. But there's heaps for sale unopened on "the bay". I'm guessing it's people who have got them free and are selling them to fund the 56 (or the zoom).

My guess is you wouldn't notice the extra 4mm much, but the obvious difference is the max aperture - that extra couple of stops could be crucial and, arguably more importantly, the ability to have a shorter DoF for portraits.

I think the Fuji promotion finished on the 31st March. I'm not aware of if being extended.

At the time I opted for the 35mm f/1.4 because of the speed. I tried out the 60mm but it was very sluggish by comparison. It took a bit of locking on to the subject in macro too.

The 56mm is a lovely lens, I put a few frames through it and all the reviews and images are very good.

I have pre-ordered the Carl Zeiss Touit 50mm Macro. Not only is it a true 1:1 macro (unlike the 60mm), it's a beautiful lens for portraiture which is my main objective. That said, I do like macrophotography for quiet days and those long winter nights and inclement weather. I have opted for this lens not only for the outstanding quality but also the flexibility it offers.

Just another consideration for you to add to the mix :)

Last edited:
yeah the promotion is over (I too chose the 35) - I've got quite a bit of macro gear (including this: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-contraption.536346/ ) so ironically I'm more looking to get the 60 for portraits mainly (and some lightweight macro along the way)

I was initially certain that I would go for the 56 (hence choosing the 35 as the freebie) but the image quality and small size of the 60 is pulling me in that direction

The 60 is stunning in the IQ department. Focusing isn't that slow. Can hunt sometimes but not too bad imho

For portraits the 60mm IQ is indeed very good. I would like to see a side-by-side comparison with the 56mm though which is another brilliant performer. The quest for the the. 'Perfect portrait lens' has begun !

Took the X-Pro and the 35 to the Armadillo in Glasgow for a Cbeebies kid's show, coped quite well with poor lighting conditions. Missed a few shots due to the autofocus being a bit slower than I'd have liked. Is the 18-55 basically the same quality as a DSLR 'kit lens' or is it a bit better?

Much better, it's not even in the same league as the Nikon or Cannon kit lenses. It's metal construction complete with an aperture ring. Very sharp at f/22 and nice bokeh at f/2.8 it's a very good all-rounder. I have not used it on the X Pro1 but the AF is very fast on the X-T1 with no hunting issues.

Can't speak for Nikon, but it is much better than any Canon kit lens I've had. Solid metal construction, quick and silent autofocus, nice sharp images and f/2.8-4.

I used to have the sigma 17-70 (new Contemporary range) and the build quality reminds me of that, but much smaller.

Is the 18-55 basically the same quality as a DSLR 'kit lens' or is it a bit better?

Hi, As others have said it's an excellent lens. I can't speak for Canon but lens for lens it's as good as any zoom lens (pro glass included) that I have used on my Nikons. As is the 55-200 Fuji lens.

For portraits the 60mm IQ is indeed very good. I would like to see a side-by-side comparison with the 56mm though which is another brilliant performer. The quest for the the. 'Perfect portrait lens' has begun !

There is one of these on the fuji v fuji blog, I think. I cannot find it at the moment but I am just on an ipad on my travels and you will have more luck I guess. If I remember right the 56 edges it in almost all respects but only just. But the biggies are the significant gain in minimum focus with the macro and the shallow depth of field with the 56. Pick which is most important to you and you know the lens you need, I think.

Well that didn't take long (second trip outside) where is the best place to get those stupid rubber lens caps from?

Jeeeez, just seen the price of the dam things.

For information the best/cheapest place I found was the Fuji page themselves. A not too bad £14.99 for both the 18mm and 35mm, much better than the eye watering £35 I came across somewhere.

There is one of these on the fuji v fuji blog, I think. I cannot find it at the moment but I am just on an ipad on my travels and you will have more luck I guess. If I remember right the 56 edges it in almost all respects but only just. But the biggies are the significant gain in minimum focus with the macro and the shallow depth of field with the 56. Pick which is most important to you and you know the lens you need, I think.

The Fuji 56mm, as good as it is for portraiture is not a macro lens. That's why I have opted for the Carl Zeiss Touit 50mm. Ideal focal length for portraiture and a true macro lens giving 1:1 reproduction. Image quality is top class for both portraiture and macro. For me this offers more flexibility and scope.

The Fuji 56mm, as good as it is for portraiture is not a macro lens. That's why I have opted for the Carl Zeiss Touit 50mm. Ideal focal length for portraiture and a true macro lens giving 1:1 reproduction. Image quality is top class for both portraiture and macro. For me this offers more flexibility and scope.

Makes sense to me. I don't do any macro and would find f2.8 too slow on a crop body but each to his own. The ability to not hit the minimum focus point was a big plus when I used the canon 100 macro. I hit it too often when using the 85/1.2.

Where did you buy your Zeiss from and how does it compare in size to the other Fuji lenses please?

I haven't actually got my hands on it yet. They are virtually impossible to get hold of and there is already a huge demand for them. I have an order in with Dale Photographic, Leeds. I have seen some sample images and it looks an amazing lens both fir portraiture and macro. I can't really comment on how it compares to the 56mm as I haven't had the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison. The Zeiss as you are aware already has a fantastic pedigree, the 56mm is excellent and I have put a few frames through it at my local store. For me the deal breaker is the ability to be able to do 1:1 macro in addition to portraiture.

Well, my 35mm 1.4 and 50-230mm free lenses turned up from Fuji today (exactly 2 weeks after I sent the forms off)

The 35mm is as i expected...but the 50-230 has been a complete surprise. I was planing on selling this lens and maybe getting the 50-200 later down the line, but after taking a couple of test shots in my living room this evening I'm starting to think again. The lens is sooo light, it focuses quickly and the image quality is really impressive. The lack of an aperture ring is no big deal as its still really easy to change on the camera.

Although I am really supposed to being selling it...:(

I bought the X-E1 with the 18-55 and the 50-230 came free. I really only bought the it all so I could get the 18-55 cheap by selling the other two. It does seem quite nice though

I was thinking the Zeiss again the 60mm F2.4. I think the Fuji should have been 1:1 macro :(

The 60mm is great for portraits ( but the 56mm is superior), but it's not a true macro in that it can't record 1:1. The 60mm AF really should be called a macro lens due to its inability to get very close to subjects. In addition, it really does have to hunt very hard to lock on to a subject and struggles when trying to focus on something shiny like a bunch of keys. It's macro capabilities are limited but for portraiture it's a very good lens.

Last edited:
Expect to see lots of 'as new' XEs and XE-1s flooding the market. I wonder how many people will buy this's just for the lens offer ? :)

Well, my 35mm 1.4 and 50-230mm free lenses turned up from Fuji today (exactly 2 weeks after I sent the forms off)

The 35mm is as i expected...but the 50-230 has been a complete surprise. I was planing on selling this lens and maybe getting the 50-200 later down the line, but after taking a couple of test shots in my living room this evening I'm starting to think again. The lens is sooo light, it focuses quickly and the image quality is really impressive. The lack of an aperture ring is no big deal as its still really easy to change on the camera.

Although I am really supposed to being selling it...:(

It looks like I might keep this one. The way I see it, it actually saves me money by not having to buy the 55-200...

Weather finally improving allowed me out for some fresh air today. Got a bit lost and found a rather impressive derelict building which I didn't know existed. Really enjoyed using the X-pro today.
This shot straight from camera jpeg resized using LR.

14mm ISO200 1/125th f11

View attachment 9797

Just back from a weeks holiday in Hong Kong with the X Pro attached to me full time! It performed impeccably. However the biggest PITA in the whole universe is the constant accidental movement of the exposure compensation wheel when the camera sits on your hip and you are walking along. I lost count of the times I took quick shots only to discover that the wheel had moved. It was such a problem that I went into just about every camera shop in Kowloon to buy a Thumbs up grip to try and cure the problem. Can you believe that there is no camera shop in Hong Kong which sells one?????? Genuine or otherwise. Has anyone on here bought a thumb grip that actually cures this problem? If so which one is it and do you have a link?
My 35mm lens was on the camera for just about the whole holiday and it really is a fantastic lens. I took my 14mm lens with me for a few landscapes but have decided to out it for a 23mm, so if anyone who has a 23mm and fancies a trade with a 14mm let me know. (Obviously I would put a Classified advert out if that was the case to keep things above board!)
I'll post the photos of the trip on Flickr soon if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I have a Lensmate Thumbgrip on order to avoid this very issue. Teasingly, it's sitting in the post office - got stung for Customs (£9.01) plus the lovely Royal Mail handling charge (£8.00). Should have it Tuesday.

Amazed you couldn't get one in Nathan Rd.

HK is such a photogenic place.

Hi Bob, I'll wait to see if the Lensmate actually works before I commit myself. I did every camera shop in and around Nathan Rd, including the famous Tin Cheung's in Hanoi Rd and Mody Rd but they didn't even know what I was talking about. They did however sting me an eye watering $150 for a soft touch ladybird shutter release :oops: :$
Bad luck on the customs charges.

Just back from a weeks holiday in Hong Kong with the X Pro attached to me full time! It performed impeccably. However the biggest PITA in the whole universe is the constant accidental movement of the exposure compensation wheel when the camera sits on your hip and you are walking along. I lost count of the times I took quick shots only to discover that the wheel had moved. It was such a problem that I went into just about every camera shop in Kowloon to buy a Thumbs up grip to try and cure the problem. Can you believe that there is no camera shop in Hong Kong which sells one?????? Genuine or otherwise. Has anyone on here bought a thumb grip that actually cures this problem? If so which one is it and do you have a link?
My 35mm lens was on the camera for just about the whole holiday and it really is a fantastic lens. I took my 14mm lens with me for a few landscapes but have decided to out it for a 23mm, so if anyone who has a 23mm and fancies a trade with a 14mm let me know. (Obviously I would put a Classified advert out if that was the case to keep things above board!)
I'll post the photos of the trip on Flickr soon if anyone is interested.

Used to drive me mad on the XE-1 as well, as I don't use the button that much used to put a piece tape over it :)

The exposure compensation dial is a PITA, but occasionally it produces serendipitous results - I was shooting tulips in the garden and missed that it had been knocked to +1.33, but truth be told the results were better with the over-exposure than without!

(what catches me out coming from a DSLR is having to flick the focussing switch when using manual focus lenses if I want the manual focussing aids - it would be nice if we got a firmware update that automatically set the camera to manual focus mode if there's no lens detected)

They did however sting me an eye watering $150 for a soft touch ladybird shutter release :oops: :$

WOW!!! I looked at loads, settled on a Gariz. You HAVE to post a photo of a $150 soft release!!!!

I've just recently bought an MT thumbs up, took the x-pro 1 out yesterday while walking the dog and I still managed to accidentally hit the exp comp dial. Not as often though it has to be said. It's a seriously overpriced (but useful) accessory IMHO.

(what catches me out coming from a DSLR is having to flick the focussing switch when using manual focus lenses if I want the manual focussing aids - it would be nice if we got a firmware update that automatically set the camera to manual focus mode if there's no lens detected)

+1

Follow-up to my previous observation..

.. why does Fuji think it's such a good idea for focus-peaking/zoom view to switch off when the shutter is half-pressed in manual focus mode? - or have I just missed an option somewhere? I'd really like focus peaking to remain displayed (I'd also like in red/blue/green/yellow as well).

Back