The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Some great people shots of late and excellent late afternoon landscapes. Two subjects I struggle with.

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." ;)

DSCF5539.jpg

Popped back to this thread and thanks for the comments on my photo :) I too have dismissed the low light mode but I am now suitably impressed! Time to find it for Carols in the Cathedral on Wednesday! In fact I could have done with it today this was shot in AV mode and has had a touch of clarity and noise reduction. Oddly the video I shot was really clear :thinking:

Nativity by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." ;)

Great title - fantastic shot :D
How the heck did you spot that!

Popped back to this thread and thanks for the comments on my photo :) I too have dismissed the low light mode but I am now suitably impressed! Time to find it for Carols in the Cathedral on Wednesday! In fact I could have done with it today this was shot in AV mode and has had a touch of clarity and noise reduction. Oddly the video I shot was really clear :thinking:

Flickr isn't showing us any EXIF information, you've turned it off somewhere along the line.
So it's impossible to make any recommendations other than keep experimenting.

Another fantastic X10 related blog entry from Dan Bailey.

In Photography, Good Light Always Trumps Good Gear
http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/in-photography-good-light-always-trumps-good-gear/

You know all those times when I rant about how photography is not about the gear? Guess what? It’s true. When it comes to shooting, say… just about anything in the entire world, good light always trumps good gear. Still don’t believe me? Here’s another quick example.

Talking of X10 celebrities.....
This came through on LindsayD's RSS feed earlier.

Photographer of the Year Nomination | The Societies
http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/photographer-of-the-year-nomination-the-societies/
"I’m overwhelmed to report that I have been nominated for the title of The Societies Photographer of the Year in recognition of my fine art animal portraiture."

Can I offer my hearty congratulations :clap:
If there was another award for consistent quality of blog entries I reckon you'd be in the running for that too!

Have now got myself an X10, just going through the motions of trying it out ! Having a Canon 5D mk 1, and a Lumix GF2, there appears to be a bit of a learning curve with this camera !

A few unknowns, when zooming to the Tele end at 85mm i hear a faint click, then a bigger click at the end of the Tele end, is this normal ? Also panoramic mode, when at wide end, it asks to go wider, but in doing so it does out of focus when it says it ok, and focus can't be achieved ? This is indoors by the way, is this right ?

Talking of X10 celebrities.....
This came through on LindsayD's RSS feed earlier.

Photographer of the Year Nomination | The Societies
http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/photographer-of-the-year-nomination-the-societies/
"I’m overwhelmed to report that I have been nominated for the title of The Societies Photographer of the Year in recognition of my fine art animal portraiture."

Can I offer my hearty congratulations :clap:
If there was another award for consistent quality of blog entries I reckon you'd be in the running for that too!

:agree:

Nice one Lindsay :D

Have now got myself an X10, just going through the motions of trying it out ! Having a Canon 5D mk 1, and a Lumix GF2, there appears to be a bit of a learning curve with this camera !

A few unknowns, when zooming to the Tele end at 85mm i hear a faint click, then a bigger click at the end of the Tele end, is this normal ? Also panoramic mode, when at wide end, it asks to go wider, but in doing so it does out of focus when it says it ok, and focus can't be achieved ? This is indoors by the way, is this right ?

Hi Lee - I've never witnessed either of those issues. Check what others say before you react but I'm afraid that you may need to post her off to Fuji :(

I went playing in the garden this morning in macro mode (I love it just wish I had a tripod!) anyhow here's a few of my favourites

Very nice!
I took some frost macro shots last winter; the X10 does a fantastic job of showing the ice crystals.

As for tripod....
I hate them for macro as it takes ages to get the tripod in the right place and the image is usually compromised by battling with the setup.
For wide aperture macro like you have here, a monopod is a good alternative.
With the monopod collapsed hunt around and find the shot. Then without taking your eyes off the screen (so you can keep the composition) extend the monopod until it touched something, lock the monopod and take the shot.
This works for the big cameras too. It's not perfect, but will dramatically increase the number of keepers.

Cheers Duncan, have kind of dismissed monopods before but might be a really good idea, for my landscapes also...!

What a great colour range. love the golds. As Duncan's just mentioned - all about the light and this is a great example. Well spotted and composed!

I was one of those I saw, framed and snapped then tried to improve on and failed!

You about 10 foot tall!?! Doesn't look like hip height. Well caught.

When I say 'from the hip' I really mean without looking through the viewfinder. Sometimes it works and the un-composed framing gives the shots an edge.

Ok thanks, can anyone else confirm i have a faulty X10 ?

Doesn't sound right to me. My zoom doesn't click.

(y)

I went playing in the garden this morning in macro mode (I love it just wish I had a tripod!) anyhow here's a few of my favourites!

Very nice.

A few unknowns, when zooming to the Tele end at 85mm i hear a faint click, then a bigger click at the end of the Tele end, is this normal ?

No, I can't hear anything like this. OTOH when I listen with my ear right up against the zoom ring, it's surprisingly "graty".

Also panoramic mode, when at wide end, it asks to go wider, but in doing so it does out of focus when it says it ok, and focus can't be achieved ? This is indoors by the way, is this right ?

I didn't understand this. Are you in the Panorama mode under the Adv selection on th top of the camera? I've just done a 120 degree pano at the wide end, and see no signs of it either "asking to go wider" or changing the focus. Focus can be a bit difficult to achieve indoors, depending on what you're looking at, at the start of the pano (I just failed 3 times before realising I was starting with a blank wall). Focus shouldn't change during the sweep (although it might be nice if it did!).

As folks have said, this sounds like a job for the Fuji service centre. Ring them up, they are very helpful, and if in warranty they may send some post-free packaging.

Souldeep thanks for the comments everything done in lightroom. I used to use elements but haven't touched it since i got lightroom its an awesome program, I just used a custom preset and then used the print module to make the borders. Hope that helps :)

After my troubles using the camera in subdued and very low light, mainly because with my shakey shakey, no feel, rheumatoid useless chunks of meat I call hands. Them letting me down and thus not being able to hold the little fella still (the camera that is not my?) and even with the onboard flash utilized my keep rate must have been down to about 10%. I asked Metz if my 45CL-4 (non-digital) would be OK with the SCA301 adapter, a chap by the name of Simon Biggs informed me it would. So on it went. The camera looks a little lost (see picture) but the flash is big and chunky and that suits me as it helps to hold cameras steadier even when not using the flash.
So after seeing the super shots of frost (Ferj) and seeing the frost this morning I thought I would have a go. The missus hit the roof! The cold really gets to me and I moan about it for hours, but ay its photography one has to make sacrifices doesn’t one.
Not having used the flash on such a camera before it came as a bit of a surprise to find it synchronizing at as high a shutter speed as 2000th of a second. The fastest I’ve ever used was a 500th on 2+¼ square and 250th on SLRs. The camera and flash don’t talk to each other, other than the camera firing the gun (non of that through the lens nonsense ha ha). I set the flash to f2.8 (its lowest aperture set output) and controlled the exposure with the camera in manual, f4 being the main aperture and shutter speeds varying to suit, the majority of the time it was hit and miss but unlike film it costs nothing to try again and again.
Boy was it cold, I soon felt it creeping into my feet and legs, ten minuets and I had had enough, so there you go.
The only PP was levels, contrast, crop, and I cloned a wayward leaf out of the Pyracantha.

I forgot to mention they were taken into the light (contre-jour I think is the posh term). Note the highlighted frost on the sides of the prop in No 3.

The setup.

X10-AND-FLASH.jpg

No 1. The sky a funny colour but I left it as is.

WEB-AND-FROST-003.jpg

No 2.The sky's not so bad?

WEB-AND-FROST.jpg

No 3.

WEB-AND-FROST-002.jpg

No 4.

web-and-frost-004.jpg

No 5. The Blackbirds have stripped all the bushes.

THE-BLACKBIRDS-LEFTOVERS.jpg

Not as good as Ferj, but I was flippin frrrrreezzin.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Hey Rhodese - 2, 3 and 4 all have something about them.

I'm impressed you got out there - 7am this morning it was -4 and pure white across south london but I didn't have the brass to go out into the garden to photograph. Silly me - so well done!

Thank you both so much! And the icing on the cake came today with three further Gold Medals - one of which WAS TAKEN WITH MY X10! That camera is a little darling. I think that goes back to your point Duncan about light and narrative being everything and equipment often making up just a small part of the equation. The X10 shot is obviously the bottom one:

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/the-societies-competition-gold-medal-upgrades/

LOL - I wondered from the aspect ratio if it might be taken with the X10 :D
There's no way of telling without the meta data. :bonk:

Congratulations!
Thinking back over the last 12 months, it has been quite a year you have had. Fantastic that your hard work has been recognised.
If the other X10ers reading this haven't already done so, then I recommend subscribing to Lindsay's blog, it's a cracker.

I've just remembered what that Brighton shoot was like .... it was dusk and I was on the beach getting the low light images of the pier. It was still fairly busy for some reason. A guy was standing about 3 feet from me, talking on a mobile phone. He unzipped his pants, and proceeded to have a waz. The guy on the other end of the phone line must have asked for some info because the chap let go of his willy to rummage around in his pockets for a business card, from which he proceeded to read out some details. I stood there clutching my X10 trying to keep a straight face. Eventually he remembered his willy and did himself up. It was hysterical.

Possibly the youngest Fuji x10 user. This is my son who will be 3 in january, he really enjoys walking round the camera, these are a couple i took of him off my iphone.

IMG_2108 by rupek, on Flickr

IMG_2106 by rupek, on Flickr

IMG_2116 by rupek, on Flickr

IMG_2113 by rupek, on Flickr

He does snap the occasional good photo, as you can see from the pics, he lines it all up and checks his pics after. Get lots of pictures of blurry ground or blurry dogs feet at the moment though, he doesnt stand still for very long.

A couple of autumnal shots from a woodland walk. These 2 are mine not his :LOL:

S0552682 by rupek, on Flickr

S0562683 by rupek, on Flickr

love the colours from this camera.

Possibly the youngest Fuji x10 user. This is my son who will be 3 in january, he really enjoys walking round the camera, these are a couple i took of him off my iphone.

IMG_2108 by rupek, on Flickr

IMG_2106 by rupek, on Flickr

IMG_2116 by rupek, on Flickr

IMG_2113 by rupek, on Flickr

He does snap the occasional good photo, as you can see from the pics, he lines it all up and checks his pics after. Get lots of pictures of blurry ground or blurry dogs feet at the moment though, he doesnt stand still for very long.

A couple of autumnal shots from a woodland walk. These 2 are mine not his :LOL:

S0552682 by rupek, on Flickr

S0562683 by rupek, on Flickr

love the colours from this camera.
Well done to your little man, I was going to say he has a good eye looking at the first tree shot until I read you took it :LOL:

He has taken a couple of wonky sunsets. Mostly likes stones and mud though.

Did a comparison with my X10 @40mm and my Lumix GF3 with a 20mm 1.7 lens both @f2.5/ISO6400, I was surprised at how good the X10 was compared to the GF3 !! Both in Av mode, same AWB, AE etc.. even the colour balance is way out on the GF3 ! The only plus with the GF3 is the extra shallow DOF you get with the slightly larger sensor. I guess this is down to Fuji's noise reduction magic ?

DSCF1511 by Leeboy22001, on Flickr

P1020913 by Leeboy22001, on Flickr

DSCF1513 by Leeboy22001, on Flickr

P1020915 by Leeboy22001, on Flickr

DSCF1514 by Leeboy22001, on Flickr

P1020916 by Leeboy22001, on Flickr

Last edited:
Did a comparison with my X10 @40mm and my Lumix GF3 with a 20mm 1.7 lens both @f2.5/ISO6400, I was surprised at how good the X10 was compared to the GF3 !! Both in Av mode, same AWB, AE etc.. even the colour balance is way out on the GF3 ! The only plus with the GF3 is the extra shallow DOF you get with the slightly larger sensor. I guess this is down to Fuji's noise reduction magic ?

The X10 has a sensor a quarter the Area of the G3
17.3x13 against 8.8x6.6 mm
You would expect the G3 to have more detail with 16.3 Mpx against 12.1Mpx
And a similar amount of noise.
At these higher ISO settings the X10 does a wonderful job, for both detail and noise.
I would say your G3 results are unacceptable for any purpose.

Totally agree with you, also the x10 @ ISO6400 has a 2816 x 2112 image, so is probably using adjacent pixel horizontally and vertically to improve sharpness and image noise :)

The X10 has a sensor a quarter the Area of the G3
17.3x13 against 8.8x6.6 mm
You would expect the G3 to have more detail with 16.3 Mpx against 12.1Mpx
And a similar amount of noise.
At these higher ISO settings the X10 does a wonderful job, for both detail and noise.
I would say your G3 results are unacceptable for any purpose.

It's a GF3 - not a G3. The GF3 uses the old 12mp sensor. Were these OOC JPGs or RAW? If JPG, I can well believe the Lumix results. Using RAW improves the output considerably though it still isn't brilliant.

Originally inspired by a quick fondle of Yv's (well, tecnically, Jon's!), I almost bought an X10 a while back, after that original inspiration was backed up by this thread. The only factor against it was that it doesn't slip into a shirt pocket. It's skinny brother does (XF1) so I ended up with that instead! The only slight problem with that is the lack of an optical VF (well, that and the fact that it's in tan rather than black - no real problem since the camera and case look better in tan than black BUT the interior leather of the new car (coincidentally an XF!) is black.) I've been so impresed with the XF1 in so many ways that when I spotted THIS thread, well, you can (as they say) "Read all abahtit!". Whoops - just a slight relapse as far as GAS goes... In severe danger of having all my cards confiscated but that'll be after the XF's paid for!

One thing I would like for the X10 is an underwater housing - rather cheaper than Recsea's one which isn't exactly cheap! I would ideally like a proper housing rather than a bag arrangement but if anyone has a personal recommendation for a bag type suitable for snorkelling use (down to 10m at most), I would consider it. That way, I could have a Fuji only kit bag for holiday and leave the Canon :)spit:!) D10 behind. I could simply buy one of the Fuji waterproof compacts but I would far prefer to use a real camera.

Originally inspired by a quick fondle of Yv's (well, tecnically, Jon's!), I almost bought an X10 a while back, after that original inspiration was backed up by this thread. The only factor against it was that it doesn't slip into a shirt pocket. It's skinny brother does (XF1) so I ended up with that instead! The only slight problem with that is the lack of an optical VF (well, that and the fact that it's in tan rather than black - no real problem since the camera and case look better in tan than black BUT the interior leather of the new car (coincidentally an XF!) is black.) I've been so impresed with the XF1 in so many ways that when I spotted THIS thread, well, you can (as they say) "Read all abahtit!". Whoops - just a slight relapse as far as GAS goes... In severe danger of having all my cards confiscated but that'll be after the XF's paid for!

One thing I would like for the X10 is an underwater housing - rather cheaper than Recsea's one which isn't exactly cheap! I would ideally like a proper housing rather than a bag arrangement but if anyone has a personal recommendation for a bag type suitable for snorkelling use (down to 10m at most), I would consider it. That way, I could have a Fuji only kit bag for holiday and leave the Canon :)spit:!) D10 behind. I could simply buy one of the Fuji waterproof compacts but I would far prefer to use a real camera.

:LOL: livin the high life!! [or lowlife if manage to take it snorkelling] (y)

Well, having done Birmingham with the X10, it seemed only right that I took it round London earlier this week when showing my folks the capitals festive bits. So, here we go....

1 - Carnaby Street

DSCF1213.jpg

2 - Regent Street

DSCF1219.jpg

3 - err...something street...

DSCF1232.jpg

4 - Covent Garden

DSCF1240.jpg

5 - Santa stops for a slice of Pizza

DSCF1252.jpg

There are some more on the blog, once again the X10 performed very well, given the circumstances.

Back