The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

The XF is a truly Pocketable camera that delivers the same IQ as an X-10. IMO, the only thing the X-10 brings to the party is the OVF. Seriously considering another XF as a car based camera for when I forget to take one!

I liked my X10, so if it produces similar images, then I will be happy. I pick mine up this afternoon.
In response to Nod's earlier post about viewfinders, the X10's bigger brother, the X100/s has an optical viewfinder well over 100% which is fantastic for framing shots in good light. Probably the best digital camera I have ever had.
Allan

Picked up my xf1. It's going under the tree for me on Xmas day from the wife. Be rude not to charge it up first and make sure it works, though! ;-)

Picked up my xf1. It's going under the tree for me on Xmas day from the wife. Be rude not to charge it up first and make sure it works, though! ;-)
Me too, we picked mine up this afternoon, just going through the manual to see if everything works as it should. Bit of a bonus with X10/20 batteries being the same type.
Allan

First impressions: it's pretty cool but why the hell can't you set the rotation dial and the rear thumbwheel to control different things like aperture and shutterspeed!
How is everyone finding RAW conversion in lightroom? it definitely works on 4.4. but I keep reading reviews suggesting JPG is better and would like to make sure I'm making the most of this cool little camera...

How is everyone finding RAW conversion in lightroom? it definitely works on 4.4. but I keep reading reviews suggesting JPG is better and would like to make sure I'm making the most of this cool little camera...

I'm still having probs with RAW from my X10, can't seem to get much improvement over JPGs. Using ACR 7.0.0.308 in PS, it takes me ages to get a small improvement and I usually end up with awful noise type artifacts. Any suggestions? Please? For Christmas?:)

Promised myself "No more new kit", until I've saved up for an XE-1..... but Currys doing the XF1 at that price..... what's a camera addict to do, there should be laws against firms tempting weak willed people like me:)

Looking back through this and the old X-10 thread will show that few people bother with raw on their baby X cameras - the JPEGs they give are good enough to make it all but redundant.

Looking back through this and the old X-10 thread will show that few people bother with raw on their baby X cameras - the JPEGs they give are good enough to make it all but redundant.

Well that's been my thinking as well Nod but I thought someone might have come up with a devious way of doing it. It's the (great) idiosyncratic (think that's the right word) EXR sensor that ACR can't handle isn't it?

From a walk today, taken with the XQ-1:

Tehidy Fungi
by AESamuel, on Flickr

Its a real joy to use, and very nice photos come out of it - similar to my x10. The lens isn't as sharp as the X10 but that is the compromise of the (much) smaller body and isn't a big deal at all, I'm more than happy with the pictures so far.
It fits great in my pocket and is really flexible with what you can shoot with it. I missed the super macros from my x10 so its great to be able to take them again.

I'm still having probs with RAW from my X10, can't seem to get much improvement over JPGs. Using ACR 7.0.0.308 in PS, it takes me ages to get a small improvement and I usually end up with awful noise type artifacts. Any suggestions? Please? For Christmas?:)

Promised myself "No more new kit", until I've saved up for an XE-1..... but Currys doing the XF1 at that price..... what's a camera addict to do, there should be laws against firms tempting weak willed people like me:)
I was tempted by the Currys offer too, and have an XF1 sitting next to me :sneaky:
I had an X10 and upgraded it to an X20, even though I played around with Raw files, I came to the conclusion that it was just to much work to try and tweak the already excellent Jpegs, so didn't bother anymore. Same with the XF1, I've not even bothered to look at the raw files, after all, its a point and shoot type for a quick fix. Images are excellent and I really like the collapsable lens design, reminds me of days gone by with Leica Summicron and Zorki Industar collapsables.
Sometimes handling the camera and making it work are just as much part of the image recording process, especially if you get pleasure out using well designed and manufactured kit. Speed isn't everything.
I did read one review of the XF1 where the reviewer was saying that opening the lens could be awkward, especially when wearing gloves.
Taking a pee wearing gloves is awkward too.......

Allan

But surely if you can process raw (ie have lightroom) you should? I do this with every shoot from my 650d so its no trouble. Or are the jpgs considered 'better'? Would really appreciate some pointers as my default position would be to shoot raw..!

I guess if you are used to processing raw you know the sort of results you want. Try both JPEG and raw and see which gives you that result. I gave up with raw processing when I got my X10, still stick to Jpegs with my X20 and only occasionally shoot raw with my X100s, but they all give such good results with Jpegs, I don't bother too much, unless there is a specific effect I am looking for or shooting an event or tricky landscape.
I prefer to spend less time in PP nowadays.
Allan

The X10 does produce excellent jpg files, I've had great results. It seems to default to jpg when using panoramic or special mode settings like sunset, but I got some better shots handheld on my X10 than my Canon 550D on a tripod.

Fair enough, just checking that there wasn't a problem with the xf1's raw files!

Hi, My wife has an XF-1 and shoots RAW files with it. I convert them to DNG in Lightroom 4.4 with excellent results. The JPEGs are also very good indeed but if you decide to shoot at a higher ISO ie 400 and above the RAW files are without a doubt better than the JPEGs. "ENJOY"

Hope this helps.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS"

Had my eye on an x10 or xf1 for a few months so when I saw the curry's deal I had to go for it, black xf1 being delivered to my local curry's Saturday, away visiting family and friends in Norwich for xmas over the weekend so will have to wait until Monday to play with it :)

I went for the black too, but then thought, should I have gone for the tan to be a bit different?
Allan

Posted elsewhere Xf1 £129 at Curry's just reserved one in red
H

:runaway:B****r, just paid £149 for mine on Saturday!

I'm in a similar boat but mine's been ordered for home delivery. Plan is to return the unopened £150 one for a refund and buy a cheaper one in store (as long as they have a black one in stock). Pretty sure I'm allowed to do that under DSR - they may even just give me the difference back.

A decent store would give you the difference when you collect it. Tell them you are taking delivery but only at the new price, otherwise say you don't want it and ask for a refund. I'm sure that would work.
Allan

I ordered it for home delivery so under DSR I'm pretty sure I can return it for refund. I'll try for the partial refund since that's the most logical way to play the game but I'm happy to waste a little time getting a full refund and buying a new one in store!

Just take it into the store for a refund and ask them to order you one at the new price.
I'll be interested to hear what they do
Allan

I picked mine up at £149 on sat. TBH, great they've lowered the price and good on anyone else who gets it at that price, but I'm not going to quibble. It's a lovely little device and I was happy to pay £149 for it.

I was happy to pay a lot more than £150 for my first one but since the 2nd is basically to live in the car for when I forget all other cameras, I want to get it as cheaply as possible!

Ditto here :) Trudged into Rugby only to find none in stock so came home and ordered on line for home delivery. Don't know if I'll bother with all the shenanigans of returning it to save £20, might find they've sold out and end up with nout!

Happy Christmas y'all :banana:

I see Amazon has the X-M1 for 469 but with £100 cashback and £100 Amazon credit. So £269 all in. Pretty good deal for a recent camera which uses the same sensor as the X Pro.

Picked up the XF1 from Curry's, battery is on charge, so time for a bacon sarnie

H

Scratching my head here a bit. testing out the XF1
Unedited apart from crop
Can't work out why this shot so slow in Ap?
Clear sky's, was in a bit of shade but not dark, was a bit windy
Ap 1/55 ƒ/4.2 ISO 200 13.2 mm
pretty grainy too
A few others were very blurred

Hugo7 ue-1
by HS-uk, on Flickr
Any ideas as to what's going on

H

Last edited:
[snip]
Can't work out why this shot so slow in Ap?
Clear sky's, was in a bit of shade but not dark, was a bit windy
Ap 1/55 ƒ/4.2 ISO 200 13.2 mm
Any ideas as to what's going on[/snip]

Well even in aperture priority you can't get the fast f1.8 aperture once you have zoomed in a little. At 13.2mm you are about half way between the 6mm wide end and 25mm long end of the lens hence why you are at f4.2 and getting a slow shutter speed. Only thing you can do is either try to stay at the wide end of the lens where the faster apertures are or to bump up your ISO.

Hope this helps,
Asa

Midwinter and in shade - not perfect lighting! As Asa said, the XF-1 does drop from its f/1.8 fairly quickly as you zoom in. ISO is useable up to 800. Doesn't look too grainy/noisy to me, even at full size; yes, there is a little visible noise but it's not obtrusive.

Thanks for the replies
At 13.2mm = about 50mm,f4. 2 pm plenty of light really. I would have expected somewhere around 1/100 and no grain at ISO 200

Will be out again today with it, see how that goes.

H

Last edited:
These little cams can be awkward with their settings, if you up scaled them to their full frame equivalent you might get a shock. At f4.2 that's nearly f17 in full frame speak and not an aperture I am sure you would select for that scene if using a full frame cam. 13.2mm also equates to a focal length of roughly 55mm so your shutter speed was at the bare minimum to avoid handshake.

These little cams can be awkward with their settings, if you up scaled them to their full frame equivalent you might get a shock. At f4.2 that's nearly f17 in full frame speak and not an aperture I am sure you would select for that scene if using a full frame cam. 13.2mm also equates to a focal length of roughly 55mm so your shutter speed was at the bare minimum to avoid handshake.
Hmm interesting. supposed to have a kind of IS, it was switched on
I shot in Raw (fuji Raf) I noticed here that raw files look to have more noise

H

Last edited:
RAW files always have more noise... with any camera. JPGs are processed incamera.
Ok understand that, the photo above is shot raw the converted to jpeg to display and showing the noise
If then had it been shot in jpeg, would there be any less noise, don't make sense to me

H

Back