The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Yes, because the camera processes the JPG files if they are shot as JPG. So colour settings, noise reduction etc will be automatically applied.

A RAW shot with only a JPG conversion will still show RAW noise because you havent added any noise reduction in post.

Last edited:
Yes, because the camera processes the JPG files if they are shot as JPG. So colour settings, noise reduction etc will be automatically applied.

A RAW shot with only a JPG conversion will still show RAW noise because you havent added any noise reduction in post.
Ok Thanks :)
H

Fuji jpg are pretty good. So id be tempted to try that.
Yes going to try that today
Has anyone used the fuji studio and raw convertor software, what do you think ?

H

I did a quick side by side with jog and RAW in LR 4.4 and the RAW looked fine so I'm sticking to that I think. Anyone have a lens profile for LR for the xf1?

I did a quick side by side with jog and RAW in LR 4.4 and the RAW looked fine so I'm sticking to that I think. Anyone have a lens profile for LR for the xf1?
The only one I can see is the x100

Ta. Believe some in camera correction happens so maybe I don't need it but if anyone happens to notice if theres a profile in lr5 and wouldn't mind sharing....

Thanks for the replies
At 13.2mm = about 50mm,f4. 2 pm plenty of light really. I would have expected somewhere around 1/100 and no grain at ISO 200

Will be out again today with it, see how that goes.

H

The camera seems to have set the right exposure, though a peep at the Histogram would give you a better idea.
Could do with a touch of clarity and colour adjustment to compensate for the natural shady light.

Not sure why you needed to crop or why you have cut the poor fellows tail.

I'm in a similar boat but mine's been ordered for home delivery. Plan is to return the unopened £150 one for a refund and buy a cheaper one in store (as long as they have a black one in stock). Pretty sure I'm allowed to do that under DSR - they may even just give me the difference back.

RESULT! Called their customer services number and pressed a series of what were the right buttons to speak to a human and absolutely no quibbles, got a refund for the extra £20 I had paid before the sale started. So, in effect, the case I've ordered (a tan one to match the tan camera - the black one is for the car! [and the tan camera currently lives in a black case {to match the car upholstery...}])* is going to cost me £11.99 on top of the £149.99 I would have been happy to pay for the camera!

*Yup, I'm that sad that I had to swap the tan case just so the thing matched the car!

The camera seems to have set the right exposure, though a peep at the Histogram would give you a better idea.
Could do with a touch of clarity and colour adjustment to compensate for the natural shady light.

Not sure why you needed to crop or why you have cut the poor fellows tail.
Exposure was a touch dark but over all the Histogram was very good
I only cropped a bit off the top and yes framing off, losing a bit of the tail but this was just a test out

This a jpeg/ just cropped
M 1/50 f2.8 ISO 160 6.4MM
Looks a lot better, to me anyway
View attachment 2897

Last edited:
RESULT! Called their customer services number and pressed a series of what were the right buttons to speak to a human and absolutely no quibbles, got a refund for the extra £20 I had paid before the sale started. So, in effect, the case I've ordered (a tan one to match the tan camera - the black one is for the car! [and the tan camera currently lives in a black case {to match the car upholstery...}])* is going to cost me £11.99 on top of the £149.99 I would have been happy to pay for the camera!

*Yup, I'm that sad that I had to swap the tan case just so the thing matched the car!
Good to hear

H

My £149.99 arrived Friday, took it to Rugby Currys and asked if they'd give me a refund for the 20quid they'd reduced it by.
No problem!
In my shirt pocket now, v happy with results so far. Anyone who's used a recent Fuji will feel totally at home with one in a second.
What's this critism I read about the on/off lens pulling out difficulty? Obviously far too complicated for some of the (pro) camera reviewers :)

*Mine's a black one Nod, to match my thoughts!

Mine is Hot Red to match where I came from and where I'm going
I like how the lens unlocks it, it's stumped a few people trying to get it to work when I've showed it to them
H

Last edited:
Mine is Hot Red to match where I came from and where I'm going
I like how the lens unlocks it, it's stumped a few people trying to get it to work when I've showed it to them
H

Will there be an opportunity for you to post any shots from where you're going Helen?:):)

Owned up to No.1 daughter that I'd bought more kit, showed her the XF1 and the on/off mechanism. Her reaction was " OMG Dad! How retro, wonderful!"
I agree:)

Will there be an opportunity for you to post any shots from where you're going Helen?:):)

Owned up to No.1 daughter that I'd bought more kit, showed her the XF1 and the on/off mechanism. Her reaction was " OMG Dad! How retro, wonderful!"
I agree:)
I'll try but you know how it goes, someone with say the highlights are burnt out :rolleyes:

My youngest daughter said much the same as yours did :)

H

Fwiw, I got the official xf1 case and I don't think its worth the money. Its quite nice looking but it adds bulk and you cant use the camera without completely removing it, I thought it was a half and half case where the bottom remains on the camera with access to the controls. It's not a terrible case, just not worth the money imho

As I said in post #420, I already have a black case for the new one and a tan one on order for the old one. Since the cameras will spend a certain amount of time in pockets or kicking about in the car, the extra level of protection is a plus - and the case is real leather too. Comes with a matching strap as well. As always, it's up to each individual as to whether the case is worth what it'll cost them - to me it is, to landwomble it isn't! It doesn't add much bulk when the camera's in it, still fitting in a shirt pocket.

XF1
Am I right, as can't find it, that there is no exposure compensation in Manual mode

H

Not sure there ever is! Manual gives you complete control over all the parameters, so no need to compensate, just dial in more or less exposure than the meter suggests!

Not sure there ever is! Manual gives you complete control over all the parameters, so no need to compensate, just dial in more or less exposure than the meter suggests!
Hmm then it's not full control, you are just changing speed or aperture

Also you can't change the aperture in the EXR Mode, only changes with focal length of the lens

H

Hmm then it's not full control, you are just changing speed or aperture

Also you can't change the aperture in the EXR Mode, only changes with focal length of the lens

H

Just like any other camera, in manual you can change shutter, aperture and ISO, the only three components that go into exposure - can't see why you would need or even want exposure comp when you have full control over the exposure anyway.
EXR is a fully automatic mode and always has been, its mainly designed as an "upgraded" automatic mode except only produces jpegs whereas auto can produce RAWs.

Last edited:
Just like any other camera, in manual you can change shutter, aperture and ISO, the only three components that go into exposure - can't see why you would need or even want exposure comp when you have full control over the exposure anyway.
EXR is a fully automatic mode and always has been, its mainly designed as an "upgraded" automatic mode except only produces jpegs whereas auto can produce RAWs.

I was thinking in the way of bracketing but then there is no way of doing it and no program mode

H

There never is exposure compensation in Manual mode in any camera.
You can bracket or compensate by changing the shutter speed or aperture yourself.

Modes were invented for people who did not understand exposure relationships they are fairly recent inventions.

EXR is unique to Fuji and does strange things like combining pixels to reduce noise at high ISO, it is fully auto and works surprisingly well. You need to read the hand book to see what it does.

I just bought an LCD screen protector for my XF1, and, I don't say this a lot, but it really is probably the best film type screen protector I have ever bought.
It fits perfectly, no air bubbles and it just settles onto the screen and leaves a great finish.
I wish I was selling these, they are from Germany..DisGuard anti reflective screen protectors from Amazon.
Allan

There never is exposure compensation in Manual mode in any camera.
You can bracket or compensate by changing the shutter speed or aperture yourself.

Modes were invented for people who did not understand exposure relationships they are fairly recent inventions.

Err yes there is, I can change the ev +- and keep the same shutter and aperture on my D7000 or any other DLSR

H

Last edited:
Err yes there is, I can change the ev +- and keep the same shutter and aperture on my D7000 or any other DLSR

H

I have never met that on a DSLR or other camera, and can not see how it would work.
Ev +- works by changing either a shutter speed or aperture, in some auto modes it can do much the same by changing the ISO.
Fundamentally you only have three exposure settings on a camera.

Shutter speed which controls how long the shutter is open.
Aperture which controls the size of the opening that lets light through.
And the film speed or sensor sensitivity (ISO)

All the other modes and settings are simply changing these three in an automated or semi predetermined way.

On your D7000 hand book page 302 it says
Exposure compensation can not be used... Chose mode P,S or A (pages 68,69,70)

Last edited:

H

Look on page 302 of your D7000 manual
You will find that you can not use the exposure compensation in manual.

My x10 is about to get some company. Couldn't pass up amazons offers on the xm-1. £400 for it with kit zoom, plus £100 from fuji cash back, and £100 amazon credit. So will have cost £200 to get an x-trans sensor like the x-pro 1. Can't even buy an x10 for that amount.

Finally got outside after the rain and wind to try out the XF-1. It's still very gloomy but here's a shot of a sheep's skull, using it wide open at 1.8 I'm pleased with the results, I'll try some RAW tomorrow.
Tried out the little flash as well on Boost, he was feeling miserable 'cos I didn't take him on my walk!

Boost
by Farmejim, on Flickr

Sheep's skull
by Farmejim, on Flickr

Used Silver efex on the skull shot.

H

Hi, Isn't what your saying just altering the setting to the meter? when in manual mode.

It's not actually changing the exposure or compensating in any way, just indicating that what ever ev +- you have dialed in is what the manual exposure would be should you wish to over or underexpose by that amount.

I have a separate EV dial on my X100s. When in manual mode, it doesn't seem to do anything.
If I remember correctly, on my now sold Nikon DSLR, when in manual mode, I could adjust the exposure compensation, but only the metering scale in the LCD was shifted by the amount of compensation set and the lcd gave a preview of the effect of the change, I still had to manually change the aperture and/or shutter speed setting to bring the meter back to 0 to actually achieve the compensated exposure.
Does this make sense?
Allan

I have a separate EV dial on my X100s. When in manual mode, it doesn't seem to do anything.
If I remember correctly, on my now sold Nikon DSLR, when in manual mode, I could adjust the exposure compensation, but only the metering scale in the LCD was shifted by the amount of compensation set and the lcd gave a preview of the effect of the change, I still had to manually change the aperture and/or shutter speed setting to bring the meter back to 0 to actually achieve the compensated exposure.
Does this make sense?
Allan

Hi Allan, That's correct and is exactly what I was trying to explain in my last post.

Just had a quick play with my X-20 (which has a dedicated exposure compensation dial) in M mode and dialling in any amount of EC has no effect on the settings chosen or the image produced. Similarly, pressing the +/- button on my D70 when in M mode and dialling in 5 stops or overexposure makes no difference. However, on both, dialling in the chosen exposure compensation DOES change the meter reading (as pointed out by George and Allan above.) EC in manual mode makes no change to the settings - they're fixed by the user but the camera's meter will take the intention of the user into account and adjust its meter to add (or subtract) to (or from) the exposure.
(The above makes [sort of] sense to me, hope it does to others!)

There are 3 variables for exposure - shutter, aperture and ISO. In manual you're fixing them all so EV +/- in manual makes no sense. Although having said that I guess it would be possible to have an ISO-priority mode...;-)

My x10 is about to get some company. Couldn't pass up amazons offers on the xm-1. £400 for it with kit zoom, plus £100 from fuji cash back, and £100 amazon credit. So will have cost £200 to get an x-trans sensor like the x-pro 1. Can't even buy an x10 for that amount.

No OVF though:( I'm not getting any more cameras without a viewfinder. (Apart from the XF1:))

H
Buy an old manual film camera you'll soon understand.

Anyway after recently selling my X10 to fund a Tammy 17-50 for my D7000 I'm in the market for another compact.
Looking at the XF1, but still not convinced so c'mon ladies and gents show me some shots and help me cure my GAS :runaway:

Back