The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Andrew I'm likin the 2nd one a lot. It would make a gritty B+W.
Rhodese.

Thank you Rhodese, I have had a play converting it, but it was the colours from the early morning sun that caught my eye, so I prefer it that way.

I really like that second one! Admitedly I do have a 'thing' about cobbles, but the light and contrast is lovely (y)

Thank you Yv, glad you like it.

OK, A few more from Marrakech - specifically the famous Djemaa el Fna, the main square in the old town where you can eat all night....

Streets of Marrakech by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Nice set Yv, would love to visit that square with a camera. In fact I'd like to be there right now, it's 01.57 and I'm starving. Your pics have made my belly angry :LOL:

Are the 1500mAh no brand batteries any good? Or should I stick with the Energizer or Fuji originals (rated between 750-1000 mAh)?

Looking forward to seeing more Yv.

Have sold my X-10 but am using the XF-1 a lot here - mainly in Panorama mode. WOW! Fun using 180 degrees and shooting horizon to horizon, especially inside! Also tried 120 degrees while walking - should have tried not moving up and down... (And people kept getting into the overhead pans.) Not done any PP including resizing so nowt to post yet but a few people might get a postcard if they're lucky!

Nice set Yv, would love to visit that square with a camera. In fact I'd like to be there right now, it's 01.57 and I'm starving. Your pics have made my belly angry :LOL:

:bonk: I just realised the one where I am obviously sitting at a table, sun into lens, focuse on the stall number 95 - SORRY!! Thats a Nikon image, apologies for polluting the thread with a wrong un :confused:

LOL - that'll explain the hint of lens flare :)

:LOL: see the problem is, we mainly used the X10, but also a bit of nikon, so that started it...then I had to work out which photos were his, which made it even worse.... most of my Fna ones are the x10 but I did take the nikon one night, hence the confusion. Should check exif more closely :bang:

Are the 1500mAh no brand batteries any good? Or should I stick with the Energizer or Fuji originals (rated between 750-1000 mAh)?

Dave, I've had a couple of those 1500mAh batteries for some months now, and they do seem to hold marginally more charge than the original Fuji, but not I think, in proportion to the claimed increase in capacity.

I continue to be intrigued by the panoramic function of the X10, and not long ago found it useful for photographing a classic car line-up. Well today, I found that it works equally well for aeroplanes! I have to admit though, that those in the photo below are a pretty unremarkable bunch, but that won't stop me remarking! For those mildly interested, the nearest aircraft is of French design - the Jodel, first conceived around 1946, with a cranked wing, so efficient that it was incorporated into the Robin DR400 (second in the line) that continues to be manufactured to this day even though it has an airframe of spruce, plywood, and fabric. It easily outperforms the ubiquitous aluminium-skinned Piper Cherokee Warrior next in line, even though the latter has a slightly more powerful version of the same Lycoming engine.

In the distance, at the far end of the line, there is a very different kettle of fish.

DSCF4113 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

The "kettle of fish" is the Boeing Stearman, during the thirties and forties the ab initio trainer of the USAAF. It boasts a radial engine, and is considerably bigger and more powerful than the RAF's trainer of the period, the Tiger Moth which eventually morphed into the Chipmunk. The Stearman has been put to many uses since the war, and today seems to be beloved of the wing-walkers; a pretty aeroplane which I had to photograph.

DSCF4104 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Pete

Dave, I've had a couple of those 1500mAh batteries for some months now, and they do seem to hold marginally more charge than the original Fuji, but not I think, in proportion to the claimed increase in capacity.

Thank you all for your responses. I will get a couple of the 1500mAh batteries to hold as spares!

Guys, I've got a problem with my x-10. More often than not when I point it at something the screen blacks out. This has nothing to do with battery life as it happens with a full charge. Any ideas?

Guys, I've got a problem with my x-10. More often than not when I point it at something the screen blacks out. This has nothing to do with battery life as it happens with a full charge. Any ideas?

That doesn't sound good, I'v never encountered this problem so no real advice to offer. Sounds like it needs to go back to Fuji :shrug:

Edit: Does it still produce images when using the VF?

Last edited:

Long shot here, but you aren't wearing polarised sunglasses while shooting are you? It will have this effect when turning the camera either landscape or portrait... In my case, portrait.

Yeah, still produces images, but it's a pita. I'll call Fuji tomorrow.

Long shot here, but you aren't wearing polarised sunglasses while shooting are you? It will have this effect when turning the camera either landscape or portrait... In my case, portrait.

That might be happening actually. Let me check...

Edit: Well I'll be a ...... That's exactly what was happening! Thanks!

Last edited:
I feel more relieved than daft... I'm always daft.

I feel more relieved than daft... I'm always daft.

So called daft mistakes are often the obvious, we've all been there done that..

Only way to learn?

Glad it's sorted, plan on going out this eve to catch the sunset. X10 in tow..

That might be happening actually. Let me check...

Edit: Well I'll be a ...... That's exactly what was happening! Thanks!

Glad it was only that. I did the same thing when I first got it and was gutted until I took my glasses off to try and work it out :)

My first thought was it must be something linked to the electronic level because it went off every time I turned it to portrait aspect :)

Glad it was only that. I did the same thing when I first got it and was gutted until I took my glasses off to try and work it out :)

My first thought was it must be something linked to the electronic level because it went off every time I turned it to portrait aspect :)

I would never have thought of that so thank you. :)

Hi, was wondering if I would be able to use my SB800 on my X10? bit worried to try it without advice? any advice re settings should it be ok gratefully received.

Sorry not been on for some while, mega busy at work and just not been able to do much. Anyway having being diagnosed with a very big recurring hernia am having trouble carrying the slr just for everyday stuff.

I have just bought Calumets last x10, waiting for delivery, took me long enough to finally get one, looking forward to it as a backup camera.

stevensteady.

Blimey… are these strait out of the camera? I just love that colour.
By the way the one you have left out, the low angle boardwalk shot is my favourite.
Rhodese.

After Steven's and Andrew's lovely shots, I hesitate to post what follows: I'm actually a "happy snapper" who only occasionally fancies himself as a 'real' photographer. As such, I'm so pleased to have discovered the X10, and along with it, this thread that taught me how to use it. Unlike any camera I've previously owned, it's nearly always in my pocket, forgotten most of the time, but ready when something presents itself.

The few photographs I take are mostly for personal/family record, and as such are not appropriate to post, but last week the fine weather saw me using the camera for the sort of thing I had in mind when I bought it last October. I had the pleasure of taking a gentleman to the general area in Cornwall where, as a young boy, he had been evacuated during the war.

There are opportunities for sea- and landscapes everywhere of course, and others do it much better, but here we reminded one 'whipper snapper' of the ''Last of the Summer Wine", and so I removed myself from the seat, and took a panoramic shot to disassociate myself:

DSCF4142-2 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Sometimes a bit of humour slips in: here my friend's hand, accidentally in shot, seems to be encouraging the elderly gentleman to observe the view closer to the sheer drop of 200 feet plus. In reply, the body language is, "Blow that for a game of marbles!" (or similar).

DSCF4152 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

On the return journey, the X10 took up little space under the aircraft seat, and was available for immediate action. To this end, I asked the old gentleman to take the stick whilst I got a few snaps. He had been dying to do this, and steered up the coast from Newquay to Minehead. Look at the lips, pursed in hard concentration!

DSCF4214 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

'White knuckles' on the stick are not unusual for an absolute beginner, but our intrepid aviator here insists on using both hands, with a thumb whitening under the pressure:

DSCF4208 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

At nearly 85, he made a good job of it, with only minimal help needed keeping about a quarter of a mile out to sea, at about 1500 feet so as to easily make land in case of engine failure. As with most, he found holding exact level tricky at first. In this shot, the 'ghost' of the propeller can just be seen, and to its left on the nose, Bude appearing as displayed by both GPS units:

DSCF4203-2 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

None of the photos are works of art, but the X10 helped make the day out memorable - I ran off a few prints for us all.

Pete

I thought that this shot might interest some: whilst my hands were free, I was able to photograph the panel - rather badly, but I did have other things on my mind!

DSCF4211-2 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

This shows the airspeed to be about 113 knots (GPS showing 101 kts over the ground); this with an engine speed of 2350 RPM. At this setting we should be making 120 kts airspeed if level, but we are climbing at 300 feet per minute, even though already 100 feet above the target level (keeping exact height is difficult at first). The direction indicator is set by reference to the compass - both show a heading of 050 degrees. The artificial horizon confirms a slight bank to the right. The red LEDs of the radio stack are all over the place; presumably because of the camera shutter speed.

Please forgive an obsession with aircraft, and the X10's ability to record this stuff!

Pete

Back