The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

hi, i have been follwing this thread some amazing photo's and knowledge :clap:
so not long bought a X10 and loving it, keep it coming look forward to seeing more.

It's good to see the X10 thread going strong...Unfortunately, it's not much fun over in the X20 thread. :(

Nigel,

That sunset cityscape pano is brilliant! (y)

This one's from the XF-1 rather than the X-10 but same guts! Just a play with the pan mode...

DSCF0467 by gpn63, on Flickr

Nothing puts me off my porridge at this time of day but this shot sure did. You're on the wrong section you should be posting shots like this on the 'Nude & Glamour' section :LOL:

PS What's the circular squiggle under your left side arm pit?

PPS Next time I see you I will bring you a commercial strength waxing kit.

Last edited:
some brave posters on here:eek:
so a couple of mine.
courgette flower by liecoll, on Flickr[/IMG]
9133057189_2da6c06b7b_b.jpg
[/url] strawberry flower by liecoll, on Flickr[/IMG]
not great but just seeing if i can post pics.

Let's keep this thread alive guys!

Afternoon :)
I've been keeping an occasional eye on this thread and the images being posted are still superb. Keep up the good work! (y)

Meanwhile - back at the Funny Farm here in Somerset.
20130615-210919-DSCF1359-XL.jpg

If you are interested, the rest are over in this gallery.

And one from Snowdonia this 'Spring'.
20130316-124716-DSCF0916-X3.jpg

Really chuffed with that set, the rest are over here.

Nothing puts me off my porridge at this time of day but this shot sure did. You're on the wrong section you should be posting shots like this on the 'Nude & Glamour' section :LOL:

PS What's the circular squiggle under your left side arm pit?

PPS Next time I see you I will bring you a commercial strength waxing kit.

#1, as pointed out in Terri's Jamie Oliver thread, I'm neither nude nor glamourous!
#2, the squiggle is where a "wardrobe malfunction" had revealed a little more of my wife than I realised! (I didn't spot it while resizing and only noticed it when I'd already posted it in Terri's thread, necessitating a swift edit of post and shot!)
#3, Again referring to Terri's thread, I pointed out to Pete BSM that that was shortly after a full BSC...

still got mine despite a brief dalliance with an x-e1 (which in fairness is just a gorgeus camera and i think i might get another one!) But i just love the x10 so damn much and its just the perfect size. The x30 better be aps-c in the same size case.

APS-C? I want FF and will settle for nothing less!!! I would also like a better implementation of in VF exposure info (I found that the info got lost in the X-20's VF since it's superimosed over parts of the image) as well as an in VF level. Maybe the X-40?

I was thinking, in terms of advice for the Fuji engineers on what tweaks we'd like to the X10/X20 lineup next... what I'd like would be an OVF at 110% rather than 85%, with framelines. Oh to be able to see what's about to happen rather than what just has happened! With the X10/X20 it can't be that hard, just slightly different optics in the OVF!

[EDIT to add: and it would make it even more rangefinder-like!]

(Maybe I should have put this in the X20 thread, but then I don't have one and this is still where the action is!)

My X-10 has apparently developed a fault, days after I sold it to a friend. The lens is apparently jamming sometimes, preventing the thing from turning on let alone zooming. I've been of the 'phone to Fuji and have been told that the warranty is transferable and that it's still within warranty - it had a new sensor fitted almost a year ago (10/7/12) and the warranty was reset from then. Having registered the thing on the website, Fuji have sent me a box lined with pre-cut foam and a pre-paid envelope to return it to them.
None too shabby customer service methinks, especially compared to Kipax's current Canon experience (although I believe that is resolving itself).

had that go 3 times on mine, im really not a fan of that twist on system. CS is top notch with them though.

Wow - to both of you; stunning shots!

I don't find the skylights too distracting; if you'd gone OTT with the HDR to get details then they would have been distracting to the interior (which is lovely). So I think it's fine as is, and the composition is superb.

I'm gonna be picky about the flower shot, but only because it is so good :)
Try a light vignette; this will increase the saturation of the edges, reduce the distraction of the OOF area in the bottom left and hold the viewers attention on the gorgeous centre of the flower.
Like I said - I love it :)

Hi,
I appear to have a dust bunny almost in the centre on the shot. It is quite faint but sticks out a mile in sky backgrounds.
Is there a quick way to clean the sensor ?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Andy

Wow -

I'm gonna be picky about the flower shot, but only because it is so good :)
Try a light vignette; this will increase the saturation of the edges, reduce the distraction of the OOF area in the bottom left and hold the viewers attention on the gorgeous centre of the flower.
Like I said - I love it :)

I'll give that a go and appreciate your feedback Duncan.

Good to see Duncan back here; I last saw a car similar to that years ago in Wedmore, when it was being driven by a then famous - later infamous - personality!

Sorry to see Dave's (Ed Sutton) 'departure', but hope he will continue to offer helpful advice; after all he certainly knows his way around an X10. At the very least, he still needs to confirm the true identity of our 'crucian' carp when I can get a photo of one to him!

I appreciated the images posted by "siwiwid" of Jakarta, and "licoll's" too, demonstrating the versatility of this little camera.

In particular, I was very impressed by "nigelwill's" remarkable creation based on shots taken at The Old Naval College, Greenwich - and subsequent photos - I was astounded that it drew no comment, but perhaps to the experienced, this sort of thing is 'old hat'. Nevertheless, I thought it beautiful.

For my own part, I felt that were I ever to post photos again, they should be a little less contentious than my last, and so...

It was late, my having put off the weekly visit to the dreaded supermarket until the last minute; I loathe shopping - except for fishing tackle and tools - and for food especially, but most times I compensate for the displeasure with a stroll around Wells's cathedral and the Bishop's Palace. Before the X10 I would not have had a camera with me, but because of it, I saw the cathedral in a new light - literally.

The glorious west front of the place glowed softly with a sort of rich honey colour in the declining sun of late evening:

DSCF4423 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Of course, the north transept seldom gets direct sunlight, and I've never before bothered to photograph the external face of the medieval clock that resides there, almost perpetually very flat-lit in the gloom. (The original C14th mechanism, now in the Science Museum, London, is still in working order apparently.) But I was in luck: close to the summer solstice, the sun sets significantly north of west, and the clock face was lit up in a way I don't remember hitherto ever seeing:

DSCF4417 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Leaving Cathedral Green, I took a last shot of the cathedral's lambent stonework from Sadler Street, before crossing to ogle yet again the X20 displayed in the window of the little shop where I believe Duncan acquired his X10. Of course, it wasn't there, having been removed for the night with all the rest of the cameras!

DSCF4430 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Pete

Leaving Cathedral Green, I took a last shot of the cathedral's lambent stonework from Sadler Street, before crossing to ogle yet again the X20 displayed in the window of the little shop where I believe Duncan acquired his X10. Of course, it wasn't there, having been removed for the night with all the rest of the cameras!

Hi Pete!
Yup - that's the shop I buy most of my kit.
Knowledgeable staff and very helpful.

The colour of Wells Cathedral is dramatically affected by the light, as your shots nicely demonstrate.
We are very lucky to live in the South West.

Sorry to see Dave's (Ed Sutton) 'departure', but hope he will continue to offer helpful advice; after all he certainly knows his way around an X10. At the very least, he still needs to confirm the true identity of our 'crucian' carp when I can get a photo of one to him!

Thanks Pete, it's nice to be missed. :D Looking forward to the crucian photos. ;)

I keep checking in now and then as, apart from the sales section, this is the only part of TP I don't seem to jump into pointless arguments with people! The pictures are great here too. :) The results from the various X10s continue to impress me, and I always enjoy Pete's 'mini blog posts'.

I'm hanging on to my X10 as I have it in mind for something. If I get round to it I'll make sure to post here - but don't hold your collective breath! But for general knocking about with a small camera I much prefer the ergonomics, viewfinder, and 'user interface' of the Panasonic G2. With a pancake lens on it's not much bigger than the X10. The results are good, but not it's not as capable of handling a wide dynamic range as the X10. I miss the pano feature though. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

Thank you for your kind comments Pete. Nice pictures of the cathedral, the evening sunshine really shows off the building.

I did some experiments with RAW at the Natural History Museum. My plan was to take 3 shots in portrait of the main hall to capture it from floor to ceiling. I extracted a -2, 0 and +2 jpg from the RAW files using Silkypix and processed them in Luminance. I repeated this process to produce 3 HDR shots and tried stitching them in PS Elements. But the irregular shape of the resulting image meant cropping through the main stairs to get a rectangular image. So I settled for the left and middle shots which give a slightly unbalance composition, but I like the HDR effect and the way Darwin is lit by the skylight.

Natural History Museum by nigelwilliams2001, on Flickr

The set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigelwill2001/sets/72157634514792955/

Blimey some stunning shots of late, love the flower Andrew brilliant!
Pete - that cathedral set is really amazing gorgeous in the warm light! well done.
nigelwill - I do like that a lot! very interesting effect and it works for me!

Good shots Pete love the first.

Thank you, Andrew - very kind. Power to your flower! - apart from the stunning effect, it further revealed to me the extent of what can be done with an X10.

Hi Pete!
Yup - that's the shop I buy most of my kit.
Knowledgeable staff and very helpful...

We are very lucky to live in the South West.

Shop - I'm afraid I'll be too tempted by its delights if I actually go in!

South West? - dead right - keep it a secret?!

...I'm hanging on to my X10 as I have it in mind for something. If I get round to it I'll make sure to post here - but don't hold your collective breath! But for general knocking about with a small camera I much prefer the ergonomics, viewfinder, and 'user interface' of the Panasonic G2. With a pancake lens on it's not much bigger than the X10. The results are good, but not it's not as capable of handling a wide dynamic range as the X10. I miss the pano feature though. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

Relieved that reports of Ed Sutton's demise on this thread are 'greatly exaggerated'!

Nigelwill - I echo Simon's comment on your photo and thanks for letting us know how it is done; thanks too, for your kind words.

Simon - many thanks.

Pete

Last edited:
Hi,
I appear to have a dust bunny almost in the centre on the shot. It is quite faint but sticks out a mile in sky backgrounds.
Is there a quick way to clean the sensor ?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Andy

Since the lens isn't removable, I suspect the only way is back to Fuji... Is the X10 still in warranty?

I had a number of sensor defects on a Sony DSC-P200 (amazingly capable little camera); they looked a bit like smears or fingerprints and as you say were really only noticeable in the sky. I ended up living with it for years, and just dealing with the occasional problems in post with Aperture. Cheaper than the £100+ I was quoted for a replacement sensor (and the (clueless) guy said "don't bother, I can sell you a higher spec replacement for less than that"... I think he meant more megapickles not sensor size or quality... any way, I digress).

Thanks everyone. I did find a limitation on the X10 a few months ago where the AEB was limited to 1/4 second on all 3 exposures. Bizarre, since it's capable in every other situation. So I tried a couple of different methods on this day out, AEB with JPG and shooting RAW. The small set I uploaded to Flickr contains a mixture of each.

There is a some extra legwork required for RAW, but when you need a single shot like the interior of the museum where there are people moving about, it works well. Also, I set the ISO to 400 so that the DR can be 400% to capture the great range of colour.

Need to practice this on some landscapes before I head off to the US later in the year.

Here is an article I've been trying to digest on how to setup the X10 and other EXR sensor cameras.

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/fuji-f70exr-how-to-shoot-it-mkii.html

Be good to get some feedback from the long term users of this camera on his views...

Just skim read it, and it all seems to tie up with my experience.
However... It is a tad complicated!
Definitely more to be gained by using the camera than trying to understand that article...

Mine is currently on factory settings; not really felt the need to go tweaking anything as the image quality is very acceptable :)
Most of the time I use P mode, saving RAW + JPEG. JPEG is needed as ACR can get sky colours badly wrong converting from RAW, but RAW is great for sorting out white balance problems - storage isn't an issue, hence I take both.

I just picked up another X10 as I sold mine a year ago and was missing it!
I had forgotten how great they are to use and was surprised how quick the focusing was (had been using a Nex 5). Was thinking about an X20 but I got a mint X10 for £190 so the price difference is too great at the moment.

The key part of that article is covered in a couple of lines really - use M, DR400 and whatever ISO you fancy.

Since the lens isn't removable, I suspect the only way is back to Fuji... Is the X10 still in warranty?

I had a number of sensor defects on a Sony DSC-P200 (amazingly capable little camera); they looked a bit like smears or fingerprints and as you say were really only noticeable in the sky. I ended up living with it for years, and just dealing with the occasional problems in post with Aperture. Cheaper than the £100+ I was quoted for a replacement sensor (and the (clueless) guy said "don't bother, I can sell you a higher spec replacement for less than that"... I think he meant more megapickles not sensor size or quality... any way, I digress).

Thanks for the reply Chris. Unforunately the warranty has long expired so it looks like a job for Fuji !
Andy

Hey guys and gals,

first time poster here from Germany.

I must say this thread made me register on the forums. Stunning pictures from the beginning and very friendly and helpful people here.

I just bought the X10 today and so far pretty impressed by it.

Went out a bit and made some pictures. This one is the only one which I like. The iso was pretty high (1600) so it is a bit grainy but still looks ok I hope.

Take care!

couple.jpg

Hey guys and gals,

first time poster here from Germany.

Hi memorire and welcome to TP.
I love the grain particularly around the girl's chair.
Was the shot taken in Germany?
Rhodese.

Back