The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Option three for me too... Solves any issues! :)

I don't see any reason not to include the XF as well.
Cheers,
Si

I rather suspected it wasn't possible in camera. I wanted to be able to do it in camera, as the X10 is my only digital camera, and some things I'm involved in don't allow post-processing. I'm often using film cameras, which do have multiple exposure capabilities (albeit rather clunky, hold down the rewind button while "winding on" to cock the shutter), but sometimes use my X10 like a polaroid to pre-visualise a scene. Obviously for multi-exposures I'm going to have to just wing it!

The X20 does allow you to double exposure... it even shows you a transparent version of the first shot whilst you take the second.

However it is still far better done on the computer as you have masking available and you can choose the transparency and merge type.

If we do go with option 3 - here's a thought...
Leave it open long enough for everyone who has contributed to this thread to:
Post a final single image taken with the X10.

It would be a fitting farewell from what must be one of the friendliest bunch of single model camera owners.
Over 6666 posts and hardly any disagreement or slagging off the kit.
A noteworthy occurrence!

My only problem is that I've so many to choose from - Lightroom is telling me I have kept 9387 images from the X10 of which 1416 I have given 4 or 5 stars - in my scheme 4 stars is pretty blimmin good! :thinking:
The subject matter is includes remote winter storms in Scotland, office parties, all sorts of weather in Snowdonia, some wonderful abstracts, foreign city breaks, lots of festivals and a wedding.
In that set are many photos I love and quite a few I've been attributing to the big cameras - whoops!

I reckon "X10 thread - the final cut" would be a monumentally good set of images :D

Last edited:
If we do go with option 3 - here's a thought...
Leave it open long enough for everyone who has contributed to this thread to:
Post a final single image taken with the X10.

It would be a fitting farewell from what must be one of the friendliest bunch of single model camera owners.
Over 6666 posts and hardly any disagreement or slagging off the kit.
A noteworthy occurrence!

My only problem is that I've so many to choose from - Lightroom is telling me I have kept 9387 images from the X10 of which 1416 I have given 4 or 5 stars - in my scheme 4 stars is pretty blimmin good! :thinking:
The subject matter is includes remote winter storms in Scotland, office parties, all sorts of weather in Snowdonia, some wonderful abstracts, foreign city breaks, lots of festivals and a wedding.
In that set are many photos I love and quite a few I've been attributing to the big cameras - whoops!

I reckon "X10 thread - the final cut" would be a monumentally good set of images :D

You could still close the X10 thread And put them in a special X10 end of term thread and then after a set perid perhaps merge it back into the closed X10 thread... or just put a link to it...Sounds complicated but it lets things proceed into the new combined X10 X20 thread right away.

ok, so it seems the concensus is a shiny new thread for the Fuji clan, I'll leave this running on both threads until tomorrow, then go ahead and start creating.

I do like Duncans idea of an X10 thread Swansong - so, howabout if I agree to moderate it, make sure that all posts are a single shared image, your sign off image for this thread [together with an explanation of why you chose it] and any discussion or comment posts are moved to the new thread? Leave it open for say 2 weeks, give everyone a chance to find the one photo they want to be their signature sign off and post it - in a blaze of glory, as it were :love:

That's a cracking idea Yvonne!

Thanks for your help & input with this! :)

:yv:

One pic from me taken this summer on Thassos Island, Greece to finish the most friendly thread i have ever visited. Cheers!

DSCF4436 by Iliyan Bozhinov, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some shots from this week end Yorkshire day in Uppermill.[

Terry's latest photos might have been overlooked in the excitement over the changes, and I'd like to record how nicely the X10 seems to represent the various subtleties of green vegetation - light and very varied in spring, becoming heavier in late summer. I especially liked his 'Green Man' (if that it what he was meant to represent).

Duncan's generous attempt to include me in the discussion over the imminent changes met with a flippant reply - he deserved much better.

Actually, I'm very sad at the inevitable demise of a thread discovered at the exact moment I needed to accelerate my understanding of digital photography in general, but very specifically of a brand new X10. All the regular contributors here, whether acknowledged by me or not, have helped me get the camera to produce the results, and better, I would have wanted from it at the very beginning.

I feel that a 'new boy' joining the emergent thread now might be confused, not immediately knowing whether he is looking at a photo from a camera exactly like his.

Unlike the regular contributors here, for me the X10 thread has continued to be mainly a learning device, albeit with very kind, generous, and entertaining teachers. Its loss (which I repeat is inevitable for all the good reasons stated) is bound to be greater for me than the much more experienced regulars.

Pete

Last edited:
... for me the X10 thread has continued to be mainly a learning device, albeit with very kind, generous, and entertaining teachers. Its loss (which I repeat is inevitable for all the good reasons stated) is bound to be great ...

:agree:

I'll go so far as to single out the kindest, most generous and most entertaining teacher!

He did not do it alone, there are lots of others, but Duncan has basically lead this thread through most of its 200+ pages and we owe him thanks for sharing things that he'd found out and for inspiring the good humour! :clap:

So here it is, the new incarnation of the hugely successful Fuji X10 thread, and its newest brother, the X20, and little sibling the XF1

So, important things first, especially if you have just come across this thread for the first time, just got yourself one of these fantastic cameras, etc - this in NOT the only thread we have for these cameras, please click on these links.

Original X10 Thread

Original X20 Thread

Both these threads contain a massive amount of information, help, advice and images, so it is highly recommended that you spend some time looking through them.

So, this new thread is for discussion about, asking questions, sharing images and advice about all three cameras, which users & members have discovered have many similarities and features.

This is part of Duncan's opening post from the previous thread - it you would like any extra links or information resources adding to this, please just drop me a pm - I have added in the bits that are relevant to all three cameras - please let me know if anything needs specifically changing

Please Note: X10 Orbs and Adobe Camera RAW issues:
Yup - they exist and are being discussed at length elsewhere. By all means post links.
Despite a few wrinkles, this is a cracking little camera.
Ta (y)

Orbs... and the X10
In the Summer of 2012 there was a voluntary recall to replace the sensor and fix the Orbs. Buying used, there is no way of telling if an X10 has had the sensor replaced, but the owner should be able to show you a service receipt.
There's no official word, but we think serial numbers starting 22 onwards have the new sensor factory fitted.
Please add a post to this thread if you have additional information.
Orbs can be elusive, some people have never seen them. Even when present they may not detract from the image.
If you want to go orb hunting then good starting points are to photograph a car with sunlight glinting off the chrome and urban night photography. If you have orbs, then you will find hard edged white blobs over the highlights. There are a few examples in this thread.

Some recommended X10/X20/XF1 resources:

Cases
- Modern all weather pouch - Lowepro Apex 60AW - available from Amazon and other retailers.
- Modern all weather pouch - Samsonite Trekking Premium DFV35 - available from Amazon and other retailiers.
- Retro - Here's a nice one on eBay that comes with two batteries for £17.68 delivered!
- Retro - Another one from Amazon, £14.99 delivered.
- Retro - Here's one from Kaza Deluxe which you can change the battery without removing the case which is fairly unique and a real plus; but it is rather pricey at US$140! Same item can be bought for £85 from eBay.
- Retro - Considered the Rolls Royce of 3rd party cases, the Gariz case available from eBay at £123.05.

Lens Hoods and filter adapters
- Lots of recommended alternatives to the official item - Links coming soon

Batteries
- Important: quite a lot of third party batteries have lower capacity than the Fuji battery; if you get one of these you will regret it; battery life is important on the X10/X20/XF1! You are looking for at least 950mAh.
- Lots of recommended alternatives to the official battery, some of them with higher capacity - Links coming soon

Soft Releases (Things that screw into the shutter button making it easier to release gently)
- Links coming soon

If you would like to recommend a link for adding here, please post into this thread or send a PM to DuncanDisorderly.

NB* Can we also suggest at this point, that if you are answering a particular point raised, you use the forum quote feature to ensure your answer makes sense. One of the reasons we opted not to merge the previous two threads was because of the utter confusion it might cause and what posts were answering which other posts. ;)

I have an x-e1 but nobody bloody talks in that thread. Can I join in? :LOL:

As far as I know no threads on these forums are in any way private.
so any one can post. However unless there is a connection to the three mentioned cameras or a general photographic topic, a post concerning the Xe1 might not be appropriate.

You are of course free to start a new thread covering all Fuji X series cameras, though it does seem that the smaller sensor ones have established a very friendly and community like following.

You might even be convinced to get an X10 or X20... used ones are very affordable.

At a pixel peeping level and functionality the Xe1 offers a step change in quality, but not usability.

Terry's latest photos might have been overlooked in the excitement over the changes, and I'd like to record how nicely the X10 seems to represent the various subtleties of green vegetation - light and very varied in spring, becoming heavier in late summer. I especially liked his 'Green Man' (if that it what he was meant to represent).

Duncan's generous attempt to include me in the discussion over the imminent changes met with a flippant reply - he deserved much better.

Actually, I'm very sad at the inevitable demise of a thread discovered at the exact moment I needed to accelerate my understanding of digital photography in general, but very specifically of a brand new X10. All the regular contributors here, whether acknowledged by me or not, have helped me get the camera to produce the results, and better, I would have wanted from it at the very beginning.

I feel that a 'new boy' joining the emergent thread now might be confused, not immediately knowing whether he is looking at a photo from a camera exactly like his.

Unlike the regular contributors here, for me the X10 thread has continued to be mainly a learning device, albeit with very kind, generous, and entertaining teachers. Its loss (which I repeat is inevitable for all the good reasons stated) is bound to be greater for me than the much more experienced regulars.

Pete

Fully understood Pete, as you say, this thread is now so huge, it was perhaps inevitable that it would have to move into new territory anyway. Hopefully, members will take it upon themselves to make a point of which camera they using when posting photos. I definitely think it will be a continued learning tool and continue in the same vein as both previous thread. :hug2:

Previously unseen or new?

Either - your hat raised to this thread, totally your choice of what picture you use. (y)

After this post - can we make all posts your sign off post please. One photo, new or seen before, that is your own personal sign off to this thread. Please feel free to add a comment with it about why you chose the photo, any comments about this thread and any thanks or whatever you want add. However, no additional posts, they will be moved to the new thread. I will leave this thread running for a couple of weeks to give everyone that helped to make this thread what it is chance to post.

As far as I know no threads on these forums are in any way private.
so any one can post. However unless there is a connection to the three mentioned cameras or a general photographic topic, a post concerning the Xe1 might not be appropriate.

You are of course free to start a new thread covering all Fuji X series cameras, though it does seem that the smaller sensor ones have established a very friendly and community like following.

You might even be convinced to get an X10 or X20... used ones are very affordable.

At a pixel peeping level and functionality the Xe1 offers a step change in quality, but not usability.

I have been using an X10 for a year and a half before upgrading to my x-e1 :)

Here is my Cap Doffed to this thread. The X10 [thankyou John for allowing us to give yours a new forever home] has been to Morocco with us twice already and despite it always being accompanied by it's Nikon big brother, has been the most used on both trips. When we first got the camera, a lot of information and knowledge was picked up very quickly from this thread. I want to say huge thanks to everyone that has made this thread probably one of the most successful TP has ever seen and hope the friendly, helpful ethos is carried on in the new thread.

So, here you go, the famous square in Marrakech as night falls, from the loveliest little camera. (y)

Streets of Marrakech by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr​

Hi, I'd just like to say I think putting the X10 & X20 threads together is an excellent idea. Great stuff.(y)

Hi, Looking forward to chatting with everyone on the new thread.(y)

It would probably be worthwhile Inserting Duncans First post from the X10 thread ...suitably modified ....at the front of this new thread. Perhaps by editing YV's opening post....
Just an Idea.:)

Any chance you could do a similar one for the X100/X100s/Xe-1 etc ... or one for all fuji X models not just select ones?

Any chance you could do a similar one for the X100/X100s/Xe-1 etc ... or one for all fuji X models not just select ones?

Only if the existing threads want it... best asking in them first - and the idea with this one is that it has been worked out that these are basically the same cameras with a LOT of cross over features, etc - I am not sure that applies to all the ones you mention? :shrug:

The problem with the X100/s threads, is they aren't very active. So there isn't anywhere really to talk about them :( I could try a revival on the X100s one, but doubt it'll work, it'll be all about timing. No real biggy, I'd just like a home for it :D

I no longer own an X10 & don't own an X20 so am I allowed to be part of this thread :thinking:

Seriously thank you Yvonne & Duncan for the work in getting this far - amazing support for just one model (or three) of what is after all a P&S (y)

Well it’s said that as one door closes another opens, Let’s hope the new path is as enlightening as that that has gone before.
There have been so many memorable images; I think Spiritflier’s blossoming lady was special.
Then there’s all that advice, Duncan’s expose for the highlights works so well, I have a 2/3rd of a stop underexposure dialled in permanent.
As for my favourite image, I think I would go with “The cold tap” posted by “cube”. It’s on page 44 - post #1291. Its just ….. Well it is. So simple but so in your face.
The favourite from my humble efforts is “After the rain”

After-the-rain_.jpg

Onwards and upwards ay, let the band play on.
Rhodese.

Last edited:
...and now you are.... ;)

"Can I suggest at this point, that if you are answering a particular point raised, you use the forum quote feature to ensure your answer makes sense."

:LOL:

"Can I suggest at this point, that if you are answering a particular point raised, you use the forum quote feature to ensure your answer makes sense."

:LOL:

:p :LOL: ... it is is actually answering the post immediately above my own... which I had moved form the other thread - too busy multi tasking - must try harder :bonk:

Ah, the new fangled Baby X thread!!!

As an owner of 2 of them and an ex owner of t'other, I'm at home here. While there's no doubt that there are some differences between the 3 models currently covered here, there are definitely enough common features to warrant the threads being converged - the X-10 and XF-1 share the same guts (albeit with a few minor differences in features) and the X-10 and X-20 sharing the same exoskeleton.

Can't say that I've noticed much difference in picture quality between the 3 yet - the XF-1 goes marginally wider and the X-x0s go slightly longer but all 3 are basically 4x zoom. I like some things on each of my current ones but prefer other things on the other one - depends what I'm after on a particular occasion! If I'm just wanting to have a camera with me on the off chance, I'll slip the XF in a pocket but there are times I want the X-20 instead, hence me having both. I'll definitely be taking both away at the end of the month and will do some vaguely sensible comparison shots in specific situations to see if I can separate them; I know that identical shots I took at the beginning of the year with the XF and the X-10 were all but inseparable, with an even split as to people in the X-10 thread's taste, maybe the X-20 will show up a difference!

In the real world, any of the 3 will do the job they're designed for extremely well - certainly a couple of steps up from a P&S compact, although not a replacement for a good SLR kit. I've played with plenty of the other options available but IMO (and YMMV!), the baby Xs are the nicest handling of the pack. Gotta love the pan stitching they do too - so easy to use and so effective - must get some frames made for all 3 aspect ratios!

I wish I could get the pano feature to work but generally all it does is frustrate me. It forever stops telling me to keep the camera straighter. I have tried and tried and tried again, but it is truly the only thing about the X10 that leaves me wanting to throw it a long long way away... :bang:

I've found it easiest to keep in portrait orientation in pano mode and to move faster rather than slower through the required angle.

I've found it easiest to keep in portrait orientation in pano mode and to move faster rather than slower through the required angle.

thats what I have been doing, portrait mode gives you greater scope anyway normally, and tried moving fast, slow, medium, bracing my elbows on something, etc etc... at some point I need someone that can normally do these with no problem to have a go with it, confirm it is just me with one leg shorter then the other. :nuts:

If/when you come down again!

Back