The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

No pic from me - I don't have any fresh ones from the X-10 or the camera itself any more. Thanks to all the contributors and especially Duncan for costing me close to a grand in buying the 3 baby Xs, even if I did recoup some of that when I sold the X-10!!!

Have you tried it doing pans with out the pan mode
Just take shots in manual mode and prefocus and fixed colour balance..

This is one I did a few weeks ago hand held and put up in a thread. I stitched it in PTAssembler which you can try for free (though it is not expensive)... it give you far more adjustment than Ps merge.

http://www.tawbaware.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6681

This is another I shot this weekend at the Yorkshire day in Uppermill. A bit long but I wanted to capture as much as I could.

Last edited:
...There have been so many memorable images; I think Spiritflier’s blossoming lady was special...

Thank you for such a kind comment... The images documenting Ayesha's pregnancy with the X10 are as precious as the ones I took with my 5D. :)

From day one I've been amazed at how versatile and capable this little camera has been. My daughter (not the new one) now owns my old X10 and I'm now the happy owner of the X20.

Choosing an image that best represents how good the X10 has been was difficult. I chose this one for two reasons. First of all, the image itself was meant to have a 'retro' look... very much like the camera. Secondly, it shows how good it is for deliberate, methodical working - even with off-camera lighting. I've always considered the camera's ability to produce a high-quality black and white image to be one of its strong points and hopefully you'll agree that this shot portrays that. :)

Panoramic shots aren't too bad if you lock your elbows in tight and twist from the waist (although that doesn't stop me from producing some serious wonky efforts). :D

Here's one taken in Cardiff Bay a couple of weeks ago...

Here's my parting shot. chosen because it illustrates what I found the X10 so good for - close ups of things showing the background to give context. And it's colourful. :)

I've enjoyed, and learned from, this thread. :wave:

DSCF4356.jpg

This was originally intended for posting back in June as the last of a set of four sunset shots; I decided my linking 'commentary' was perhaps too sentimental for a public forum, and have prevaricated. Despite the intrusion of modern times in the form of contrails and cars, service cables and rubbish bins, I must like it because it has remained as my 'desktop image' for weeks now.

I post it as a parting image because somehow a sunset photo seems appropriate as a farewell to the thread - but also I was reminded by Yvonne's reference to the tricky knack of taking these panoramic shots with the X10. Using the viewfinder only (in portrait orientation), I found the problems as Yv describes them on 'the other side', disappeared.

Sunset at St. Andrew's and Church Farm by wylyeangler, on Flickr

(Last autumn, Duncan drew my attention to the haloes that had appeared around a fishing rod depicted in a shot of an angler, and here they are again, most noticeably around the church, and the telegraph pole, which in shooting, I tried to disguise by confusion with the NW corner of the tower. Following observations by Martyn (Souldeep), I thought I'd cracked this problem by reducing the default 'sharpness' to -1 in every shooting mode I could, and sharpening judiciously, if at all, in ''Lightroom'' where the relevant software algorithms are possibly more sophisticated. Sadly, there seems to be no such option available in the panoramic mode, which being really an enhanced 'point and shoot' facility, would possibly stretch the X10 resources just too far. Would shooting 'RAW' have given me more control over this in PP? - I must experiment.)

Many thanks to all and cheerio,

Pete

Have you tried it doing pans with out the pan mode
Just take shots in manual mode and prefocus and fixed colour balance..

This is one I did a few weeks ago hand held and put up in a thread. I stitched it in PTAssembler which you can try for free (though it is not expensive)... it give you far more adjustment than Ps merge.

http://www.tawbaware.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6681

I have tried manual ones too Terry, and had some success using the stitching software built into Photoshop [although still cant get a good one of lords cricket ground on any stitching software, using pics form X10 or Nikon, something about the stands throws them every time :bonk: ] My frustration is that I should be able to do it using the X10's inbuilt feature but in 10 mths have managed only 1 successful one :(

However, thanks to Simons post here, and Petes closing post in the other thread, I am not going to give up and try a viewfinder technique with camera clamped to my face, elbows bruising my hip bones :LOL: I will master it!!

BTW, can I just say how fantastic the farewell pics are that are appearing on the other thread too, as Duncan suggested, what a final fanfare to a great thread :woot:

BTW, can I just say how fantastic the farewell pics are that are appearing on the other thread too, as Duncan suggested, what a final fanfare to a great thread :woot:

It's looking great so far!
I suspect some of the threads legends like LindsayD, Souldeep, EdBray and many others I can't recall off the top of my head may not have spotted its demise. Fingers crossed they do :)
I'm not going to comment on all the images and it feels wrong to single a couple out - they are all wonderful!
But here's a couple of comments anyway :)

Spiritflier - that's wasn't any of the images I was visualising!
The two that stuck in my mind are one of the first ones you posted taken with studio flash that absolutely blew us all away, and a white background full length studio shot of your pregnant Mrs.

Pete - your panorama is wonderful!
I think it's the variety of light which almost makes it look like one of those lots of seasons in a single image thing we've been seeing elsewhere on the web.
I'll forgive the halo on the Church; but you are right - it does need sorting ;)

As for myself - I'm away at the moment and don't have my library with me. I'm not going to rush it by choosing something random.
I think a pleasant evening reminiscing with a few glasses of wine is in order!

One I took this morning and converted to mono.

x10_2_of_1_-15.jpg

Still trying to choose a fav for the old X10 thread..

It's looking great so far!
I suspect some of the threads legends like LindsayD, Souldeep, EdBray and many others I can't recall off the top of my head may not have spotted its demise. Fingers crossed they do :)
I'm not going to comment on all the images and it feels wrong to single a couple out - they are all wonderful!
But here's a couple of comments anyway :)

Spiritflier - that's wasn't any of the images I was visualising!
The two that stuck in my mind are one of the first ones you posted taken with studio flash that absolutely blew us all away, and a white background full length studio shot of your pregnant Mrs.

Pete - your panorama is wonderful!
I think it's the variety of light which almost makes it look like one of those lots of seasons in a single image thing we've been seeing elsewhere on the web.
I'll forgive the halo on the Church; but you are right - it does need sorting ;)

As for myself - I'm away at the moment and don't have my library with me. I'm not going to rush it by choosing something random.
I think a pleasant evening reminiscing with a few glasses of wine is in order!

If some don't see it until after its finally closed and want to add an image of their own [and they have a couple of weeks yet], I can always temporarily open it again for them ;)

I thought I would add a couple of recent X10 pics to here as I haven't posted any in a while.

The first two were taken a couple of weeks ago, I went out in London with Hugh [boyfalldown] and we did 'tourist', me with the X10, he with his X100s, and we just wandered around the central area snapping away. I like these two images just for the clarity of the structures. Mono conversions done in Lightroom

londonX10_001.jpg

londonX10_009.jpg

This one, at one of my favourite places in the world to be, has had some tweaks, pushed the sky clarity whilst pulling down the highlights and a crop. The original was a really nice photo but I wanted to give it a bit more punch - and it the reason I want to master the pano feature, I want that image, stretching round to include the famous old Lords Pavilion.

lords_001-8.jpg

Both these trips have a set of images on my hobby blog if anyone wants to see more, but these are the photos I particularly liked - you are welcome to rip them to shreds of course (y)

I have tried manual ones too Terry, and had some success using the stitching software built into Photoshop [although still cant get a good one of lords cricket ground on any stitching software, using pics form X10 or Nikon, something about the stands throws them every time :bonk: ] My frustration is that I should be able to do it using the X10's inbuilt feature but in 10 mths have managed only 1 successful one :(

However, thanks to Simons post here, and Petes closing post in the other thread, I am not going to give up and try a viewfinder technique with camera clamped to my face, elbows bruising my hip bones :LOL: I will master it!!

If all else fails You could try this ... This morning I did an experiment using my modified head on my Brasher walking pole as a monopod but any small ball head would work as easily.

You simply spin the pole slowly and it keeps every thing smooth and level.
every one I tried was a good one.... rubbish shots, but proves the pudding.

I made the pole adapter for taking high shots holding the pole above my head and using the two second delay. A bit hit and miss but it works

This is a high shot using it last week end.

Last edited:
After some thought, here's my choice. It has appeared before, in my very first post on the thread, but in a smaller size (when I was using the TP Gallery). I'd only had the camera a month, and the family went for a couple of days to a small hotel in Wales. One night we had our evening meal in a pub in Harlech; I took some shots of Harlech Castle before we went in. When we came out, we went for another look, and I took this (ISO 1000, f/2.5, 1/28, -0.67 ev, handheld). Ten minutes to nine at night in April! I'd never seen anything like it!

Hope you like it. See you on the other side...

Last edited:
a fond farewell to an awesome thread. I dont use it much as im shooting more film than anything these days. But the x-10 holds its own incredibly well and punches far above its weight. See you all next door i hope :)

youre taking your swivel chair outside! i think we need to see local cctv footage of this :)

Shame that Jon's not competent enough to snap an action shot!!!

:LOL: Not quite - but I did try the above technique, sans swivel chair, but with my back braced against an upright of the cat run we have, and bingo, it worked. Crap photo as the sky is completely blown, but not bothered about that, I have at least found soe sort of technique that works. So, this evening my plan is to go and walk the dogs as the sun is getting low and try it somewhere a little more photogenic than that back garden. (y)

I've found that the 120 works best and most reliably and shoot it in a similar way to panning a race car but I "preset" my most comfortable position to the end of the pan. I can just about do the same for a 180 but need to talk to a yoga instructor!!! The panoramic function is one of the few features that works much better on the X-x0 cameras than the XF-1 (for me) since I can use the viewfinder so there's less parallax error. It does work fine with the XF-1 but you do need to take care if there's a lot of foreground detail. My problem when using the XF-1 is that I'm now of an age where close focussing with the mark one eyeballs is rather poor so I can't see the screen properly, especially if I've got contacts in!

TBH, the 360 pans are a bit of a gimmick, although they're quite fun! They work better as video pans than as prints IMO.

Must have a good play with the D800 and fisheye to compare a crop from that with a 180 pan from the baby Xs. Not sure there'll be a lot in it apart from in the convenience stakes - I know which set up I'd rather carry all day!!!

Because of the subtle colours, the amount of detail and the JPG quality in general, straight out of the box (and what a beautiful box it is...)

S0072384-01 by Robenroute, on Flickr

P.S. reading the sentence above I thought it needed a little clarification: the shot above is cropped (obviously) and slightly sharpened, but I meant the JPG quality in general is so wonderful.

Last edited:

Have you got a set of Jpegs of the cricket ground that won't stitch that I can have a go at... I might well not succeed but I might find where the problem is. In those difficult situations you often have to select your own control points.

I've just imported a set of photos from my X10 into Aperture, and noticed something odd. A pic taken a few days ago was numbered DSCF5838, as per normal. The shots I took yesterday started as numbered _DSF5839 [EDIT: changed _DSC to _DSF after checking], and they all continued that way.

I don't remember seeing this before. I've not updated the firmware or anything else for ages. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I've just imported a set of photos from my X10 into Aperture, and noticed something odd. A pic taken a few days ago was numbered DSCF5838, as per normal. The shots I took yesterday started as numbered _DSF5839 [EDIT: changed _DSC to _DSF after checking], and they all continued that way.

I don't remember seeing this before. I've not updated the firmware or anything else for ages. Any ideas?

Mine say DSCF....?

Rhodese.

If all else fails You could try this ... This morning I did an experiment using my modified head on my Brasher walking pole as a monopod but any small ball head would work as easily.

You simply spin the pole slowly and it keeps every thing smooth and level.
every one I tried was a good one.... rubbish shots, but proves the pudding.

I made the pole adapter for taking high shots holding the pole above my head and using the two second delay. A bit hit and miss but it works

I’ve used a similar method with a 90’ flip monopod, also with an ordinary monopod with a bracket I made to bring the lens over the centre of axis.
As you indicate, it does give more control.

BRKT-4-X10_2.jpg

I do my over the heads shots with the mirror brkt I made.

As an aside how many of you do high-resolution panoramas and convert them with ZOOMIFY in PS?

Rhodese.

I've decided to finally let go of my X10 so its up in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

I had a great time with my X10, although there were little niggles here and there overall it was just a fun camera to use - onwards and upwards now though!

Sorry guys, not had chance to try out my new technique, things keep cropping up or too busy. Hoping to have a day out tomorrow, taking a throwaway to get some shots with that and will take the X10 too so will hopefully have a chance to test a bit more. if that fails, my next trip to lords is going to include a monopod that I almost threw away because the weight of a DSLR causes one of the legs to collapse, but it might just be the perfect tool for the job. :|

...my next trip to lords is going to include a monopod that I almost threw away because the weight of a DSLR causes one of the legs to collapse, but it might just be the perfect tool for the job. :|

:wacky::wacky:;)

anyone noticed a lot of flare coming off their x-10's Ive just started noticing it more with scenes of large contrast. Not sure how to deal with it tbh. This was an overcast day, average metering.

anyone noticed a lot of flare coming off their x-10's Ive just started noticing it more with scenes of large contrast. Not sure how to deal with it tbh. This was an overcast day, average metering.

I don't think that's lens flare :thinking:
I kinda looks more like it is smeared on the diagonal.
Can I suggest having a look on the front of the lens for fingerprints and report back :)

well, no fingerprints but it needed a wipe. I'll give the shot another go on monday and see what happens :)

One of the special things about the lens on the X10 and X20 is how well they deal with into the light shots. Of course some flare and internal reflections are inevitable in these situations.

lenses need to kept totally free from dirt and especially greasy smears, or even traces of them if you want to take this type of shot.
Just a huff and a rub with a hankie just makes things worse.

One of the special things about the lens on the X10 and X20 is how well they deal with into the light shots. Of course some flare and internal reflections are inevitable in these situations.

lenses need to kept totally free from dirt and especially greasy smears, or even traces of them if you want to take this type of shot.
Just a huff and a rub with a hankie just makes things worse.

I must actually relate a story about a huff and a rub with a hanky - not X10 related, but still worth the telling in here. Back in my early days with a DSLR, I bought a Sigma 10-20 wide angle lens [pretty sure it was under Nod's encouragement having had a look at his when we were at Silverstone one day] Anyway, a few weeks into ownership I was photographing one of our mutts paying with the hosepipe, as she does, using the 10-20 so I could get some fun wide angles. Of course, it got splashed by water, so I wiped it when finished and didn't think about it. Next time I used it i noticed circular marks on the front element. I tried a lens cloth, lens cleaning fluid, nothing would shift them. They weren't affecting images, but I was a bit gutted, permanently marking a nearly new lens. A few months later, we on a driving holiday around Norway, up a mountain with a boot full of luggage and a fantastic scene that needed to be photographed. Stuck the 10-20 on the camera and managed to put a bloody great finger smear on it in the process.... knowing my lens cloth was in the boot full of luggage and the light was changing rapidly, I asked him for his handkerchief, a quick huff and a rub with a normal pocket handkerchief and not only was the smear gone, but the funny watermark circles too :eek: To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement, I just kept looking at it afterwards, twisting it into the light to check and check again they had really gone. I didn't even rub hard at it, just a wipe round. Not sure to this day if it was the hank, or the 'breath' that did the trick :LOL:

Now whilst I wouldn't condone doing this everytime you clean, hankies are probably a bit abrasive for ongoing use, but when needs must, they won't do any harm on modern lenses ;)

I must actually relate a story about a huff and a rub with a hanky - not X10 related, but still worth the telling in here. Back in my early days with a DSLR, I bought a Sigma 10-20 wide angle lens [pretty sure it was under Nod's encouragement having had a look at his when we were at Silverstone one day] Anyway, a few weeks into ownership I was photographing one of our mutts paying with the hosepipe, as she does, using the 10-20 so I could get some fun wide angles. Of course, it got splashed by water, so I wiped it when finished and didn't think about it. Next time I used it i noticed circular marks on the front element. I tried a lens cloth, lens cleaning fluid, nothing would shift them. They weren't affecting images, but I was a bit gutted, permanently marking a nearly new lens. A few months later, we on a driving holiday around Norway, up a mountain with a boot full of luggage and a fantastic scene that needed to be photographed. Stuck the 10-20 on the camera and managed to put a bloody great finger smear on it in the process.... knowing my lens cloth was in the boot full of luggage and the light was changing rapidly, I asked him for his handkerchief, a quick huff and a rub with a normal pocket handkerchief and not only was the smear gone, but the funny watermark circles too :eek: To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement, I just kept looking at it afterwards, twisting it into the light to check and check again they had really gone. I didn't even rub hard at it, just a wipe round. Not sure to this day if it was the hank, or the 'breath' that did the trick :LOL:

Now whilst I wouldn't condone doing this everytime you clean, hankies are probably a bit abrasive for ongoing use, but when needs must, they won't do any harm on modern lenses ;)

Modern lens coatings are very strange beasties. some times they can be impossible to remove smears. I have several different lens cleaning fluids and cloths. The most important thing is not to rub dust into the surface. A lot of dust out side is silica or quartz which can do an instant scratch job on any lens. People used to swear by well washed old linen hankies for cleaning optics. and it certainly does a good job. But perhaps not used ones out of a dusty pocket with sweet wrappers for company.

I am sure we have all used what ever we have to hand including shirt tails or skirt hems. new Clean soft paper hankies can do a good job.

Modern lens coatings are very strange beasties. some times they can be impossible to remove smears. I have several different lens cleaning fluids and cloths. The most important thing is not to rub dust into the surface. A lot of dust out side is silica or quartz which can do an instant scratch job on any lens. People used to swear by well washed old linen hankies for cleaning optics. and it certainly does a good job. But perhaps not used ones out of a dusty pocket with sweet wrappers for company.

I am sure we have all used what ever we have to hand including shirt tails or skirt hems. new Clean soft paper hankies can do a good job.

the only problem I find with paper hankies is the fluff they can leave behind - though in preference to a greasy smear, I would rather have the dusty fluff ;)

Mind you, I am the person that carried on using a 70-200 with a half inch proper scratch on front element [long story involving a set of keys]for 3 months before I could afford the time without it to send in for repair. Needless to say it had absolutely no effect of photos, even when tested at narrow apertures, and certainly not at the f2.8 - f4 I normally shoot at with that lens. (y)

I will accept responsibility for introducing Yv to the joys of UWA lenses but it was my 12-24 she fell in love with (well, the width of it!!!) since I've never owned a 10-20. in fact, the only 10-20 I've ever used was Yv's and that was just to see how bad the vignetting is on FF.

WRT watermarks, cleaning fluid and "huffing", the deposits left by tap water aren't organically soluble so lens cleaning fluid is unlikely to shift them since even if it's mixed with water, salts (such as water marks) are insoluble in it. However, huffed breath is mildly acidic - not usually enough so to cause problems with coatings - so will usually remove mild water marks, although more stubborn ones may need a dampened tissue (or hankie!).

One last point. If using nose blowing tissues, make sure they're a) clean (unused!) and b) not the balsam impregnated ones - either sort of contamination can introduce smears that are more of a problem!!!

In the old X10 thread I confessed that the best technique I've found for shifting salt spray off the lens is to lick it followed by a good rub with the lens cloth.
In a high salt environment the lens cloth gets rid of the smears OK; I normally just use a clean corner of my t-shirt but it doesn't get the salt off effectively.
I've found the lick and lens cloth technique gives better results than any other method!

Important: wash the lens cloth when you get home as dried salt rubbed against the lens will scratch it. Also important to give the whole camera a good rub down with a damp cloth to get rid of all the salt you can from the body and lens barrel.

These are conditions I am reluctant to take the big camera out the bag, but I have no hesitation putting the X10 through the abuse. It's stood up to the punishment remarkably well :)

Here's one I took earlier where the lens was coated with salt after 20 seconds. Event though I was stood in the relative shelter of a cliff, the air was filled with a fine salt mist that soaked everything.
20111228-122246-DSCF4030-M.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't let this thread pass with all the fantastic knowledge and support it has given (and we all know who I mean by that!). And, yes, its responsible
for 'making' me buy my beloved X10 too :)

9489201642_2f2f095f1a_b.jpg

This shot was taken from the balcony of our villa whilst we were in Monte Carlo late last year. Its of a storm approaching across the Ligurian Sea.

It was a wonderful experience being out on the balcony with the X10, the warm wind blowing the stars around, and a cold glass of wine in hand. Quite special!.

Last edited:
Back