The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Can't argue with that. Good deal (y)

Looking forward to seeing your shots, as the stuff that you did with the RX100 was really good.
Thankyou..hopefully will be posting a few shots on the thread this week if all goes well.

:D The other half just rang to say she has collected the xf1 from currys and on her way home with it..happy days:naughty:

Quick question...did anyone elses come without any protection over the screen?..It was in a sealed bag in the box but nothing over the screen.Thought it had few marks on but they have cleaned off.

ahh ok cheers for that...lovely looking bit of kit isnt it! I thought I read somewhere they were made in China but this one says Japan on it,not that I am fussed could be made in Manchester for all I care as long as it works ok.:naughty:

Thanks David. Hopefully I will get out with it tomorrow at some stage. Really like the look and feel of it tbh. I thought it would feel cheap and nasty after some reviews but it's quite nice. Go as far to say that it feels nicer than the Sony in my slightly large hands lol

Ok love the camera but the on/off malarkey will take some getting used to lol. Not a fan at this moment in time

I quite like the twisty on/off. You can always pop it out of your pocket and power it up quickly without looking...

I quite like the twisty on/off. You can always pop it out of your pocket and power it up quickly without looking...

It's a bit of a pain having to do it just to look at shots though :(

(unless there is another way.....I should really read the manual0

Well not going out in this weather so not had much of a play with it as yet..Just a quick snap of the bird giving it the once over and my refreshment from lastnight.Very pleased with it though.Will give it a proper test when it stops chucking it down!!!
Impressed with the stabilisation though,wine bottle was iso 800 and 1/10

untitled-1003
by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

untitled-1045
by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

I did try iso 1600 but found it quite noisey..I havent even set it up yet lol so sat here now going through all the options.

Had mine since xmas and still only use M A and Pano....... ruddy weather :-( ain't helping but should set up some indoor shots but best not wake the kids

ISO 1600

View attachment 5300

H

Last edited:
No David jpeg only for now mate..will have a dabble with raw files but general opinion seems to be stick with the jpegs on xf1 as they are pretty good.

lol as I say I will have a play with Raw and see if its worth the extra work load.

I always feel to get the best out of a raw file it needs more work than a jpeg.A raw file is a digital negative pretty much whereas a jpeg will already have certain chosen settings applied already in camera. I like fuji jpegs they come out pretty damn good with minimal PP.

I love PP but I've found the jpgs better than the raw on this. Could just be me but they're a lot less busy, the lens correction is there and they just look higher quality even after you allow for film simulation. May be just the way lr 4 deals with the xtrans output though

Are you shooting raw Stu and H?
Hmmm well I'm leaning towards Jpegs . This camera is not a DSLR and I don't feel is even near to one in Raw
If I really want something I've taken in Jpeg I may reshoot it but the Jpegs are very good
I do however have the Raw switch on the back control just in case

H

I shoot RAW+JPG just in case, but unless its just a limitation of LR4 the jpgs look better. I read somewhere that because the xtrans sensor does funky things in the lowlights, like use multiple pixels to capture more light at lower resolution for certain parts of the sensor, that LR may not understand this...

I shoot RAW+JPG just in case, but unless its just a limitation of LR4 the jpgs look better. I read somewhere that because the xtrans sensor does funky things in the lowlights, like use multiple pixels to capture more light at lower resolution for certain parts of the sensor, that LR may not understand this...

Have you tried the fuji raw program and compared it with lr with the raws

H

Tbh, no. I'll have a look. Is that a freebie that came with it? Will it export to dng or similar so I can edit them in lr?

I'll have to give it a whirl then with the jpegs again this weekend. I just found the quality of raw files from mine was excellent and the jpegs not so. Admittedly they were my first pics with it so maybethey were just a little boring and it made me think that they were poor quality.

(X20) Had a thought that it might be a good idea if writers indicated which of the cameras they are discussing so as not to add to any confusion.

The X20 has a different sensor ( and pattern) and no filter.
the Xf1 has a different lens to the X10 but the same sensor.
The X10 has the same lens as the X20 but different most else.
They all have different controls.

(X20) Had a thought that it might be a good idea if writers indicated which of the cameras they are discussing so as not to add to any confusion.

The X20 has a different sensor ( and pattern) and no filter.
the Xf1 has a different lens to the X10 but the same sensor.
The X10 has the same lens as the X20 but different most else.
They all have different controls.

And the XQ1 (my camera)!! has the X20's sensor and the XF1's lens in a conventional compact body and zoom motor. I love it, its more expensive than the XF1 but IMO worth it (I've had the XF1 in the past).

Is the XQ's zoom stepless? How fast is it from 25-100? How much does zooming eat into battery life?

Back