The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Had an idea of a shot I wanted last evening - kind of one that reflects the boys playing on a warm summer's evening. Unfortunately, it didn't really come out how I wanted - I really wish I could gain some PP skills

summer evening games
by damianmkv, on Flickr
I like it but I can see why you'd want to do a bit of pp, but I like the way the lad in the white t shirt isn't obvious at first, and the smaller lad is very nicely framed. Personally I think cropping the sides to give an illusion of a longer bridge would be better, but hey, I'm a beginner, so what do I know :).

One afternoon on the beach I decided to play around with some of the effects

Miniature effect beach by helen_goldthorpe, on Flickr

Helen, that works very nicely. The whole miniature thing is probably going to become cliche soon I guess, but that's a great example, giving just the right focal point I reckon. The bather far right is very convincingly miniaturised. A jolly nice little scene :)

The choice of focal point is entirely the camera's choice so I can't take much credit ;)

All the people on the beach are my family (one nephew in the water, one in the pram, my sister is far right and my brother in law, uncle and grandmother are at the waters edge). I decided it was more than my holiday was worth to shout at them to get into better positions...

(speaking of which, the photographic highlight of my holiday was being trusted by my dad to take the "official" Mum's 60th birthday group photo. I did it with the DSLR so it doesn't really belong on this thread, but normally my dad guards the role of official family photographer quite fiercely. I'm quite pleased that the photos I took during the week convinced him to let me have a go. It's not a particularly exciting photo, but all 11 people are at least in focus, decently exposed and looking in the right direction so I'll take that as a result!)

Anyone get a blue cast on their xf-1 ? It's barely noticeable but if you look hard enough...

bug's life
by damianmkv, on Flickr

:)

How long has it been gone? Give em a ring and chase it up!

As Kev said think it takes 2 weeks. sent it off Friday. there is a tracking on fuji site, will look in a couple of days, not sure how often they update it

H

Dont know if you can track on fuji site if you sent it via Currys. Just give them a call or go to the store if you are near by to see if they can provide an update.

I went as crew on a narrow-boat across The Wash yesterday, a novel experience as I been on them since I was a kid and have never been more than 20metres from the shore! Went from Boston to Wisbech but we had to go around all the sand-banks so it was a trip of 36 miles with 20 of them in open sea.
Took the X10 and took plenty of snaps. Got to say that even with ARC 8.4 and PS, I still can't get much if any improvement over the JPEGs. The XF1 however is a different kettle of fish and the RAW from that are very nice!
Here's some from yesterday (and day before)
Boston Stump 5am by Farmejim, on Flickr
Boston Stump 4.30am by Farmejim, on Flickr
Freighter and narrow boats by Farmejim, on Flickr
Alone On The Wash by Farmejim, on Flickr

Last edited:
ace:D, showing my naivety here I was not aware that narrow boats where used any ware but rivers and canals!

Dont know if you can track on fuji site if you sent it via Currys. Just give them a call or go to the store if you are near by to see if they can provide an update.
I sent it to fuji, got a tracking number, could not be bothered to go to Curry's

H

ace:D, showing my naivety here I was not aware that narrow boats where used any ware but rivers and canals!
They're not usually found at sea but a few brave souls have even crossed the English Channel! Even though it was fairly flat yesterday you'd have to pay me well to do a channel crossing :)

Isn't the xf1 the same as the x10 with regards to the processor?
I think that the XF1 shares processors with the X20 and that's the difference. I may be wrong, I'll check tomorrow.

Nope it doesn't, it shares its gubbins with the x10. The xq1 shares the x20's in'ards.

Edit: I THINK. :D

The x10 and xf are EXR sensors and the x20 and xq are x-trans.

Hi David, What you have said is correct (X10 & XF1), (X20 & XQ1), this only applies to the in'ards not the lens and other bits etc.

They're not usually found at sea but a few brave souls have even crossed the English Channel! Even though it was fairly flat yesterday you'd have to pay me well to do a channel crossing :)
Jesus that sounds scary!

i need to fiddle with my settings as I don't seem to be able to get a lot of sharpness in PP from a RAW file. Would like more detail from my shots really...

Just buy the Sony ffs. :D

I've never really struggled with sharpness, what are you doing in PP to the images?

Just took some banging ladybirds (literally!!!) whilst at work. As you do. :D Hope they come out ok.

its too expensive at the moment. Maybe I should've gotten the mk2 that was on here last week and went for £355 elsewhere

Not a lot to the images - just trying to sharpen them. Even 40% seems impossible at times but perhaps thats user error and they're slightly OOF meaning that its mission impossible

yes, with a slower shutter. What is your in camera sharpness set to ?

( off to look at yet more kit. Thanks :cautious: )

Nothing as I shoot RAW so making any changes in camera won't have any effect.

The Siggies are pretty much the best compact IQ wise but they're quirky. Maybe even more so than the XF. The battery life is crap, (they ship with 2 batteries and you would be lucky to rattle off 100 shots before they went dead) higher iso is crap and so is the speed of them with regards to focus, but for IQ you'd be looking at a top end FF dslr with top end glass to match it. And they're about £300.

maybe a bit too niche for me. And I can't live with that battery or crap high ISO performance....( phew - wallet breathes a sigh of relief ! )

I wonder about the x100...:whistle:

In all seriousness, I do need some sort of zoom range. 35mm is OK but not always ideal as I shoot wider ( i sold my 10-20 recently ) and also shoot longer. Of course IQ is important - there's no point taking photos with no detail but i realise that there are compromises to be made

Last edited:
Nope it doesn't, it shares its gubbins with the x10. The xq1 shares the x20's in'ards.

Edit: I THINK. :D

The x10 and xf are EXR sensors and the x20 and xq are x-trans.

I think you're right David and I'm wrong :(
Just did some test RAW exposures using the X10 and XF1 using exactly the same settings and although the metering cannot have been the same (I used A priority and the X10 was a little darker, realise should have been in manual mode) I couldn't find much difference. I'll do another back to back test later and maybe post up some examples.

Thought so George. :)

@AESamuel do you still have your xq?

Still got it, still loving it! I think the only camera I'd swap the XQ for would be the sony rx100 Mk III but that ain't gonna happen for a long time :)

I've not been taking many photos recently other than holiday snaps, although now that uni has finished for the year hopefully I'll be getting out a bi more, haha.

Back