The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Nice set, especially the last two.

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? If shooting JPEG then have a look at what you have the NR set to in the menu and it tends to smear the images a little. I believe it's a common complaint with Fuji's. If not then i don't know. :D

Few from me...

Larvae-ing on the edge
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Lonely Lady

Damian Styleee...

Stars and Flare

Dandelion

Rose

Rose

Rose

Orange Hawkweed

I like your other hobby Alan :D. I think they're damn good - the night ones have come out really well.

I must admit that sometimes my photos aren't great - no idea why, they just don't come out as I'd hoped. One of those things maybe...

Thanks Damian. There are some other shockers but all in very bright sunlight and they have a blue cast. Thanks for looking
I too thought that the night shots were really good capture by the camera

Impressive Alan, were they hand-held or did you use a tripod or rest? I've not yet fired up the XF1 at those high ISOs, I'm waiting for it to get dark now :)

Thanks Jim - all hand held but at that ISO it is about 1/12 or 1/14 sec so prob not too slow as xf-1 is very light.
I have it set at auto 3200 ISO and aperture priority so shutter speed has to take care of itself. For e.g., the shot of the glass on the plank table comes out at 100ISO with a shutter speed of 1/2000

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? If shooting JPEG then have a look at what you have the NR set to in the menu and it tends to smear the images a little. I believe it's a common complaint with Fuji's. If not then i don't know. :D

Thanks David. Shooting JPEG - I am not as knowledgeable on RAW so have not got into it , plus, in any event, where I am at moment I do not have any way to convert from RAW.
NR is set to Low - what is your experience of that?

Your photostream would suggest you're more knowledgeable than you think. ;)

My advice on the smudgyness would be to shoot RAW. :LOL: I have no experience of it as i don't shoot in JPEG so haven't really had that issue. Are you sure it's just not because the shutter was low? TBH though, your shots at iso 3200 are pretty good, i'd be happy with them.

Few from me...

Larvae-ing on the edge

Lonely Lady

Damian Styleee...

Stars and Flare

Dandelion

Rose

Rose

Rose

Orange Hawkweed

Wow, David some nice shots there. You are now getting me hooked on taking pics of flowers...

It's easy when you have the subjects to hand. Lol.

David,

Thanks

It's not just having the subjects but also having a a vision which I am lacking.

I'm very impressed by all the macro efforts on here so I went out and had a play on the way to the corner shop. There's nothing but jungle in my garden, but some peoples front gardens overhang the pavement and gave me something to play with... I'm still getting to grips with how close you can get before it fails to focus, and trying to find insects that move less quickly than bees...

trying macro 2 by helen_goldthorpe, on Flickr
Bee tea by helen_goldthorpe, on Flickr
trying macro by helen_goldthorpe, on Flickr

Any tips?

You have plenty of vision Kev!! Get out to a local park or some stately home and have a wander around with the xf, but beware, on sunny days it tops out at 1/1000 at f1.8 so you'll need to stop down the aperture until the shutter speed changes from red to white.

Well done Helen, love the last one, it's glowing!

The lens was right inside the flower for that. I got some strange looks as people walked past...

Hi David, Great set of flower shots there, I'm amazed at some of the images you get from that little camera and your enthusiasm leaves most of us standing.(y)

George.

Defeated by the screen today. What I thought was a perfect silhouette on the screen turned out not to be on the PC. I can sort it in PP but it was a little annoying

That's a hilarious price. As good as it is, you'd be nuts to pay £750. I think £450 is too much really but if you want one, I guess you'd agree to that albeit reluctantly.

No idea about the screen. Very odd.

Testing linking to Flickr.

Was out and about trying to get used to the XF1. MUST remember to only use iso 100 for small things so as to keep the detail.

I cannot get the image to show up here???

DSCF3715 by MykylR, on Flickr

DSCF3664 by MykylR, on Flickr

DSCF3672 by MykylR, on Flickr

Mike

Last edited:
Click the pin, select the BBCode then c&p it here. Make sure you choose the size you want. It's a nice pic btw, love the focus and colour. :)
Perfect. Finally posted properly. Thank you.

Not really used Flickr in the past so will have to work my way through it all. :)

Oh and then post them without passing through Picassa. That was just for a quick export.

Last edited:
Don't think the sun cam out yesterday, David :( the camera didn't do too badly yesterday, considering we were in a dark restaurant with a window behind us which is always tricky when the subject sits by it as the flash can blow things out.

Think my brother in law was impressed with the xf1 - he said he's going to look at one for his holiday but wants a waterproof housing too. I have no idea if you can get them ?

just a heads up, the xf1 referbs are back in stock.
at that price it would be rude not to, so I did in brown:D hopefully it will work as my pocket cam. I love fujis. ive had a x-10, x-pro and x-100 so I hope this is as good!

Last edited:
Back