The official iPhone 4S / 5 thread

Not worth spending out on the 4S if you have a 4 IMO.

Only speed improvements and slightly better visuals for some apps. Certainly not worth £350(ish) and a 2 year tie in!

The 64GB is great for those that use it as their iPod too.

The 64GB is great for those that use it as their iPod too.

I have a playlist called "iPhone" which I sync to the phone. I can drag hundreds of albums onto that so keeping it under the 16Mb/32Mb limit. Doubt many people have 32+Gb of music that they want to take with them everywhere!

Not worth spending out on the 4S if you have a 4 IMO.
!

I still have a 3GS from my works contract and the replacement was due last month, so hopefully Orange will offer the 4s straight off and I can just skip the 4 altogether.

The boss said, he'd pay whatever they ask for it. So thats 5 x 64GB Iphone 4s's being ordered on Friday I expect!

I have a playlist called "iPhone" which I sync to the phone. I can drag hundreds of albums onto that so keeping it under the 16Mb/32Mb limit. Doubt many people have 32+Gb of music that they want to take with them everywhere!

I have 120GB of music on my Classic....

I have 120GB of music on my Classic....

But how much of it do you actually listen to every day!

EVERY album I own would fit on the 64Gb version and I don't really want half of them there all the time. I have the 16Gb iPhone and I've barely hit 10Gb at any point.

Why do they always have to break their site to update it.. Getting access denied errors all over the place..

They're probably running their site on Windows 7 server :D

Working now..

from £499 to buy outright.. Ouch

That's a similar price to the last couple of versions but how many people are actually going to get one without a contract?

3GS is up for renewal now so will be pre-ordering as soon as I can :) great if can be done online, if not am off next week so an early start I guess :)

I'm up for renewal with Orange at the mo. Been waiting to see what the new IPhone was going to be like. Although a bit disappointed that it still looks like the old 4, I suppose it's no different to when the 3GS replaced the 3G. It's in reality like an IPhone 4.5.:)
It has got enough new functions (particularly the Siri) to push me to getting one, although it will be interesting to see what prices Orange will be touting. :shrug:

Gareth

I didn't move from the 3gs to the 4 because the form of the new handset didn't feel right in my hand, gonna have to have a looooooooooooong think about moving to the 4.5 in a couple of months.

For a company that is supposed to be design led this is a major disappointment in my eyes. By the time this one is replaced the same form factor would be about for nearly 3 years which is an age when you consider the iPhone itself has only been about for 4.

I think you'd have to be a serious fan boy or an idiot to ***** a lot of cash on this minor update if you have an iPhone 4 already.

This has not gone down well for apple and I think they've missed a trick by not redesigning fully especially after the extended wait.

Most of the stuff today was software based.

Last edited:
For a company that is supposed to be design led this is a major disappointment in my eyes. By the time this one is replaced the same form factor would be about for nearly 3 years which is an age when you consider the iPhone itself has only been about for 4.

I think you'd have to be a serious fan boy or an idiot to ***** a lot of cash on this minor update if you have an iPhone 4 already.

This has not gone down well for apple and I think they've missed a trick by not redesigning fully especially after the extended wait.

Most of the stuff today was software based.

Most contracts are 24 months now so most people are now skipping every other model or selling their current one and paying a bit extra. With that in mind most will be going from a 3Gs.

As for the design, it is a good looking phone, why change the look if you don't need to. Anyway the design is about 15 months old and likely to be changed next summer which would make it 2 years old at the end of it's life.

cowasaki said:
Most contracts are 24 months now so most people are now skipping every other model or selling their current one and paying a bit extra. With that in mind most will be going from a 3Gs.

As for the design, it is a good looking phone, why change the look if you don't need to. Anyway the design is about 15 months old and likely to be changed next summer which would make it 2 years old.

Agreed, why redesign a winning package when you dont need to. People are complaining the screen wasnt made larger, it's a phone not a tablet.

You change the design to keep people interested and give people what they want. The general consensus that the form should have been updated to accomodate a bigger screen.

That's my point, most are 24 month contracts so you'll be committing yourself to an old design for another two years.

And it's not a winning package. Glass back and an antenna that is flawed.

I love apple products dont get me wrong, I'm typing this on my iPad, previous 2G and 3Gs owner and I have a new iMac but as a product designer I think they've missed the boat.

Last edited:
If it ain't broke don't fix it just improve it - seems this is there approach on a tried and tested basis.
Agree big screens aren't the be all and end all. I like my HTC's 3.7" screen, it fits nicely in one hand and is big enough to scour the net with out squinting - it also slides nicely into my back pocket.

Kudos to apple for sticking to a similar design concept, can't go far wrong.

Agreed, why redesign a winning package when you dont need to.

So why change the 3Gs model? This was still a winning package when the 4 came out. :shrug:
As I can only change my phone every 18 months, I'd like to have a nice new shape handset rather than a dated design that's been around for a year or 2.

PDub said:
You change the design to keep people interested and give people what they want. The general consensus that the form should have been updated to accomodate a bigger screen.

That's my point, most are 24 month contracts so you'll be committing yourself to an old design for another two years.

And it's not a winning package. Glass back and an antenna that is flawed.

I love apple products dont get me wrong, I'm typing this on my iPad, previous 2G and 3Gs owner and I have a new iMac but as a product designer I think they've missed the boat.

Read the thread the antenna is improved..

wippers said:
So why change the 3Gs model? This was still a winning package when the 4 came out. :shrug:
As I can only change my phone every 18 months, I'd like to have a nice new shape handset rather than a dated design that's been around for a year or 2.

Minor changes, same size screen and rough dimensions though. People calling for larger screen would alter the dimensions substantially.

Minor changes, same size screen and rough dimensions though. People calling for larger screen would alter the dimensions substantially.

I would have like to have seen just some cosmetic changes like we saw from the 3GS to the 4. Not really that interested in a bigger screen as the current size is more than adequate IMHO.

As for the design, it is a good looking phone, why change the look if you don't need to. Anyway the design is about 15 months old and likely to be changed next summer which would make it 2 years old at the end of it's life.

U reckon an 'iPhone 5' will be released next summer? How long was the 3GS out for before 4 came out? Think I have 9 months or so left on contract, happy to pay off and get new one if that will last 18 mths plus but not keen on having to upgrade again in less than a year :|

Back