The official iPhone 4S / 5 thread

My HTC Desire contract is up for renewal in December. I could well be tempted by the iPhone 4s - mainly due to the camera! The quality of the images I've seen from the iPhone 4 blow those from the Desire out of the water and I do use the Desire's camera a lot. If there's any 18-month contracts around then I'll take a look at those once the early adopters have had a chance to give the 4s a proper run.

Agreed, why redesign a winning package when you dont need to. People are complaining the screen wasnt made larger, it's a phone not a tablet.

Ummmm Samsung Galaxy S2? That phone has a MUCH larger screen and is in every way a massive sales success. The iPhone is NOT at optimum size.

U reckon an 'iPhone 5' will be released next summer? How long was the 3GS out for before 4 came out? Think I have 9 months or so left on contract, happy to pay off and get new one if that will last 18 mths plus but not keen on having to upgrade again in less than a year :|

I think this will be the case! I personally can't se apple releasing another phone within 12 months!

I must admit, I was a little disappointed to start off with, but looking at the new features coming out, it really is another step up..

Jordan

I would have like to have seen just some cosmetic changes like we saw from the 3GS to the 4. Not really that interested in a bigger screen as the current size is more than adequate IMHO.

I'm guessing we'll see this when they move from 4S to 5..... (next year) I would like to see this too, but as most, i'll be moving from a 3GS to this....

On that note, I was thinking how I could get out of a 24 month contract, its well annoying having the same phone for 2 years.. obviously pay more.. but was thinking the cheapest way to do this...

My contract ends in january, I pay £45 per month with O2, 1200 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet usage, now I know that most are giving you 700mb internet, but I use mine a lot, and with the sky go app, its only 2 football matches and thats about the limit used (so I'm told)

I was considering dropping to a lower monthly bill, and not taking a phone out with o2, then purchasing the phone its self from apple (selling my 3gs)

possibly get a lower monthly bill, but will have to fork out for the phone its self, BUT i'll be able to buy 5 when it comes out, rather than being stuck with 4s for 24 months!

Other alternative, would be to sign up again, then to just buy the 5 when it comes out, and sell 4s....

What do most of you do???

Jordan

Not really any features worth going back to an iPhone for, but not a big surprise. Voice control is just another one of those 'meh' features that have been around on the competition for years but Apple stick a new label on and flog to death, a la FaceTime.

I'm on a stopgap Android phone at the moment after drowning my HTC HD7, but will be getting a HTC Titan very shortly as long as the results from the camera are up to the spec.

neil_g said:
Cool I must say.. For the first time I'm thinking of getting an iPhone..

(based on all new features not just that)

It's about time Neil because once you are hooked you will not go back..... :)

ding76uk said:
TBH I am looking at that. £280 for my iPhone 4. Leaves £320 plus a PAYG/cheap contract.

Makes more sense to me with usage I have

Ding - there's a classified section if you wish to sell your phone. LOL

Going over all the comments in this sticky thread here's my tuppence.
1. The Siri is on the new iOS 5 which is compatible with 3GS onwards.
2. iPhone 4 was released only a year ago. Hence Apple is aware that customers are still tied to their 24 months contract hence they plan to bring iPhone 5 next year this time when customers are ready for an upgrade.

My HTC Desire contract is up for renewal in December. I could well be tempted by the iPhone 4s - mainly due to the camera! The quality of the images I've seen from the iPhone 4 blow those from the Desire out of the water and I do use the Desire's camera a lot. If there's any 18-month contracts around then I'll take a look at those once the early adopters have had a chance to give the 4s a proper run.

Don't compare a 2 year old device with a 1 year old device.

The Sensation has a better camera and also Ice Cream Sanwich is being released next week, so look out for new devices for that. ICS will be a big change I'm hoping for android.

Going over all the comments in this sticky thread here's my tuppence.
1. The Siri is on the new iOS 5 which is compatible with 3GS onwards.
2. iPhone 4 was released only a year ago. Hence Apple is aware that customers are still tied to their 24 months contract hence they plan to bring iPhone 5 next year this time when customers are ready for an upgrade.

Siri is exclusive to the 4s.

This is the longest wait for an iphone since the 3g.

Still a meh from me, This is the kind of upgrade I expected think 3G - 3Gs, biggest change will be the OS. Hardly ever use the camera on the phone for anything important think I will wait till next year.

On that note, I was thinking how I could get out of a 24 month contract, its well annoying having the same phone for 2 years.. obviously pay more.. but was thinking the cheapest way to do this...

What do most of you do???

Jordan

If you log onto MyO2 they give you a buy out price to upgrade early, as you spend £45 a month you should be a gold member therefore allowing you to upgrade 3 months early.

I'm a bit disappointed with the iPhone 4s, would of liked a rounded back & larger screen. Due an upgrade on the 23rd of October, so will prob go for it anyway. Siri looks good.. if it works..

Theres definitely little reason to get this phone if you already own an iPhone four. I think the voice assistant 'Siri' will be a gimmick to all but a small proportion of the iPhone userbase .

On the contracts as I've found with the four (if you can afford it) you're better off buying the phone outright and then getting a cheap contract (around £20 p/month) without a handset this way you're only locked into 12 months (the way it should be).

This way you're not tied into the 18-24 month contracts the providers want you locked into and your total cost of ownership (cost of phone + (line rental x contract duration)) is lower than if you get a subsidised phone from one of the providers.

Here's an example (from last year) for iPhone 4 I assume for the iPhone 4S the prices remain the same.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub...lTNVZYc2c&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html

If you log onto MyO2 they give you a buy out price to upgrade early, as you spend £45 a month you should be a gold member therefore allowing you to upgrade 3 months early.

I'm a bit disappointed with the iPhone 4s, would of liked a rounded back & larger screen. Due an upgrade on the 23rd of October, so will prob go for it anyway. Siri looks good.. if it works..

I mean I don't want another 24 month contract, just a 12 month one next time, my contract ends january, so i'm going to wait till then to get something...

However, i did log onto my o2 to see what I can do, and this is the upgrade message I get..
As a silver customer you can upgrade early with O2 Rewards. You can do this from 18 December 2011, or you can pay £91.92 to Fast Track Upgrade now.

I won't be paying anything to fast track upgrade!

i have recently moved from Apple - I hope the "siri#" or whatever the voice activated thing is is much better than it was on the 3gs. - as that was pants.

Theres definitely little reason to get this phone if you already own an iPhone four. I think the voice assistant 'Siri' will be a gimmick to all but a small proportion of the iPhone userbase .

On the contracts as I've found with the four (if you can afford it) you're better off buying the phone outright and then getting a cheap contract (around £20 p/month) without a handset this way you're only locked into 12 months (the way it should be).

This way you're not tied into the 18-24 month contracts the providers want you locked into and your total cost of ownership (cost of phone + (line rental x contract duration)) is lower than if you get a subsidised phone from one of the providers.

Here's an example (from last year) for iPhone 4 I assume for the iPhone 4S the prices remain the same.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub...lTNVZYc2c&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html

This is great info.. i'm going to have a look at this in more depth!

Last time, even tho they were selling the 3gs for £100 on a £45 month contract, I got the phone for free... so i'll have to look into shelling out for a 4S, and paying less per month!

I've currently got unlimited internet, but for the next contract, it seems that they don't do unlimited internet anymore! Boo!

i have recently moved from Apple - I hope the "siri#" or whatever the voice activated thing is is much better than it was on the 3gs. - as that was pants.

How have you managed to get siri onto the 3GS ?

Jordan

How have you managed to get siri onto the 3GS ?

Jordan

he's talking about the voice recognition, not siri. Iphone 3gs has voice recognition where you can do siri type things but not to the same extent.

I know that apple bought a startup voice recognition company for siri so it's different technology - whether it will actually work smoothly or not remains to be seen.

I'll not be upgrading as I only recently got an iphone4. But if I was, I would be buying it outright. I think it's ridiculous that people sign 24 month contracts for these phones. You have to be mental to tie yourself into anything for 2 years unless it's a fixed rate mortgage or a car etc. for a phone? No thanks!!!

he's talking about the voice recognition, not siri. Iphone 3gs has voice recognition where you can do siri type things but not to the same extent.

I know that apple bought a startup voice recognition company for siri so it's different technology - whether it will actually work smoothly or not remains to be seen.

Yeah, thats what i was going to get at next, i know the 3GS has voice control, and it isn't the best, i've never used it... so we'll see if siri is any better!

The iPhone typo's are annoying enough, so wonder what they are going to be like with siri.... if its as good as they say, it will be great!

I'll not be upgrading as I only recently got an iphone4. But if I was, I would be buying it outright. I think it's ridiculous that people sign 24 month contracts for these phones. You have to be mental to tie yourself into anything for 2 years unless it's a fixed rate mortgage or a car etc. for a phone? No thanks!!!

Yeah, i just need to work out the cheapest combination to do it! or should i say, find the best deal!

I have a business line, so need to keep my number!

I'll be ordering 5 of these tomorrow.

Have a number of people in the office (inc me) who have been waiting for the upgrade before moving across.

mark1616 said:
Will tell you in 3 hours.... well there might not be a 4s, it could be a 5, only a few people know :)

Have heard rumours from US it's a 5

I dont get why some people are moaning its not a 5. I mean, they could have called it a 5, would that make so much difference. Also, what are people expecting, a whole new phone every 18 months or so. The 4 is a very good phone, no need to change size, screen is great, they are adding voice, adding a better camera... what physical difference could they really add that is so lacking?? Cant think of anything.

Im very tempted by the 4s, i have a HTC Desire at the moment, and haven't had any issues, BUT i used my brothers iPhone 4 a little while back and the camera is sooooo much better, the rest of it im not too fussed about as already have an iPad 2 with the same internal... BUT in a phone, thats COOL though!!!!

I dont get why some people are moaning its not a 5. I mean, they could have called it a 5, would that make so much difference. Also, what are people expecting, a whole new phone every 18 months or so. The 4 is a very good phone, no need to change size, screen is great, they are adding voice, adding a better camera... what physical difference could they really add that is so lacking?? Cant think of anything.

I can.

for a start the not rounded back of the phone is ergonimically poor, it doesn't feel as nice to hold as the 3gs.

Second the back of the phone is glass and this weekend i dropped mine and it cracked right near where the camera is so there is a week spot there where there is no need for the back of it to be made of glass.

Both of these could have been improved upon.

joescrivens said:
I can.

for a start the not rounded back of the phone is ergonimically poor, it doesn't feel as nice to hold as the 3gs.

Second the back of the phone is glass and this weekend i dropped mine and it cracked right near where the camera is so there is a week spot there where there is no need for the back of it to be made of glass.

Don't drop it.

I hope people don't mind me posting this on the thread, but it is iPhone related..

I don't want another 24 month contract, so i'm working out the cheapest, best way of keeping up with the new releases....

I was thinking a 12 month sim only contract could be the way forward, and purchasing the phone from the apple shop direct! Here are the price comparisons i've worked out from o2....

Oh and apple have released the 4s prices, £499 for 16gb, £599 for 32gb, and £699 for 64gb.... so....

12 months SIM only contract...
£21 per month.
500mb data
600 minutes
unlimited texts
total cost £258 per year..
Phone cost £599 32gb
Total £857

As apposed to (based on iphone 4 NOT 4s) prices on o2
£42 per month
600 minutes
unlimited texts
500mb data
phone cost £243.99
over 18 months the cost would be £1000

Any help advice on this guys?

Thanks.
Jordan

I can.

I was disappointed with the 3, i thought it felt cheaper than the original. The 3 got scratched more than the 4 too on the back. I like the feel of the 4 and cant honestly think of how it can be improved looks wise.

joescrivens said:
damn, if only you'd said that to me before. I would have made sure I didn't drop it.

ah well, I guess I'll know for next time

That's the ticket.

Yes! With the speed at which technology is moving on mobile phones, there's no reason why they don't produce a new handset every 18 months or so. :thinking:

If apple brought out new phones all the time, then customers would get frustrated, nothing worse than buying something, then the newer model comes out in a few months!

Also, they probably wouldn't sell as many, people will be constantly waiting to see what the next one is.. just incase its better!

I think 2 years is a decent time for a face lift, with upgrades in-between!

I'm sure apple know what they are doing in relation to updates, and marketing..... its clearly working what ever they are doing!

A lot of people are annoyed because it looks the same, fact is, all the other info on the web is purely rumour and guess work! And all those people were wrong!

Jordan

If apple brought out new phones all the time, then customers would get frustrated, nothing worse than buying something, then the newer model comes out in a few months!

Also, they probably wouldn't sell as many, people will be constantly waiting to see what the next one is.. just incase its better!

I think 2 years is a decent time for a face lift, with upgrades in-between!

I'm sure apple know what they are doing in relation to updates, and marketing..... its clearly working what ever they are doing!

A lot of people are annoyed because it looks the same, fact is, all the other info on the web is purely rumour and guess work! And all those people were wrong!

Jordan

Iphone released June 2007
Iphone 3G released July 2008
Iphone 3GS released June 2009
Iphone 4 released June 2010

All of the above were released a year apart.
All of the above sold in their millions.

Nuff said. (y)

Gareth

Yes! With the speed at which technology is moving on mobile phones, there's no reason why they don't produce a new handset every 18 months or so. :thinking:

It has SIRI, a much better camera, full HD and a better processor. How is it not a new handset? An iphone 5 or 6 will still look the same or similar.

12 months SIM only contract...
£21 per month.
500mb data
600 minutes
unlimited texts
total cost £258 per year..
Phone cost £599 32gb
Total £857

As apposed to (based on iphone 4 NOT 4s) prices on o2
£42 per month
600 minutes
unlimited texts
500mb data
phone cost £243.99
over 18 months the cost would be £1000

Unless you don't want/need the minutes&texts&data then you need to be comparing the price over the same period of time, i.e. 18months. That makes the cost benefit of buying the phone outright a bit less.

Why anyone would we willing to spend up to £700 just on a phone is well beyond my comprehension :shrug:

I've been waiting for the upgrade from my 3GS, I'll wait to see what the prices are from 14th Oct when they come on sale, but at the moment It's £35 a month minimum for an iphone 4, paying £250 for the phone, getting 200 mins talk, 200 texts and 500mb data

A Samsung galaxy S II is £21.50 a month, 200 mins talk, unlimited texts, 500Mb data, £105 for the phone. Car phone warehouse will give me £200 for the old 3Gs.

Seems an awfully huge premium to have an iphone now.

Back