THE PP GAME!

Ok - well done all, it's actually the engine from the "first automobile"

Ended up about even on the B&W / colour in the end.....

Love them all, not a bad edit in there, AndrewP - great idea with the crop, a little too much colour for me. Neil - tone down the yellows and could have been in there at the end. Did like the pencil drawing Rhodese, I followed your directions and was surprised at how easy and quick it was. (y) Just a bit dark in the shadows on Dan's first B&W edit.

Fave of the B&W entries,
AHILL - lovely bright, silvery metallic feel to this edit..... Liking Johns and Bens too, but not quite having the "metallic" (can't describe in any other way :LOL:) feel of Andrews....

And of the colour edits....
Solo Mans stood out, perfect balance of the amount of colour for me, David and RobL very similar and hard to crit either.

But overall - I give my decision to Andrew (AHILL), not sure if its the tiny hint of colour that does it, but I like it, and a nice smooth look to the roller on the right.

Mine below,
Bit of HDR in the colour one, B&W conversion and then hit with the "Holga-ish" button in Picasa :eek:, did also find a tutorial and did same manually, but preferred the Picasa one.

(y)

Last edited:
Ok - well done all, it's actually the engine from the "first automobile"

Ended up about even on the B&W / colour in the end.....

Love them all, not a bad edit in there, AndrewP - great idea with the crop, a little too much colour for me. Neil - tone down the yellows and could have been in there at the end. Did like the pencil drawing Rhodese, I followed your directions and was surprised at how easy and quick it was. (y) Just a bit dark in the shadows on Dan's first B&W edit.

Fave of the B&W entries,
AHILL - lovely bright, silvery metallic feel to this edit..... Liking Johns and Bens too, but not quite having the "metallic" (can't describe in any other way :LOL:) feel of Andrews....

And of the colour edits....
Solo Mans stood out, perfect balance of the amount of colour for me, David and RobL very similar and hard to crit either.

But overall - I give my decision to Andrew (AHILL), not sure if its the tiny hint of colour that does it, but I like it, and a nice smooth look to the roller on the right.

Mine below,
Bit of HDR in the colour one, B&W conversion and then hit with the "Holga-ish" button in Picasa :eek:, did also find a tutorial and did same manually, but preferred the Picasa one.
(y)

Thanks Graham. I wondered what it was.
I was trying to force the focus point of the picture on the gears

Whoohoo. I'm gobsmacked. :banana:

will get one up this evening

Last edited:
Well done Andrew
I also had no idea what I was editing...
Thanks for the comments Graham (y)

Another late night LR4 edit (which I'll probably mildly detest tomorrow).

IMG_4627.jpg

Straighten
Crop
Burn foreground water in places to emphasize reflections
Cross process effect with curves
+1 exposure
+25 contrast
H -100, S -25, W -100, B -43, CL +12, V +15
Split tone
Soften edges
Adjustment brush to brighten some pitch black areas in rocks
Vignette

this one was all about the clouds for me.

landscape_BTedit2 by btyreman, on Flickr

large: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/8743021908_eec60b26a6_o.jpg

LR4.4.
cropped to a 16:10 ratio and zoomed in a bit within that ratio.
then straightened the horizon.

here's what I did in screenshots this time:

LR_pt1 by btyreman, on Flickr

LR_pt2 by btyreman, on Flickr

after this I then opened it in colour fx pro and applied the 'fujifilm velvia 100' film effect instead of using vibrance and saturation in LR which looked too unnatural,

added a filter on the rocks increasing clarity and decreasing saturation slightly,
finally a filter on the left side with moire' removal on the sea and at the same time clarity boost.

Last edited:
about 30-40 mins sunk into this one. :eek:

CLICKIT FOR BIG

5 exposures (with no adjustment except exposure) blended together
treated sky and rocks separately to increase midtone contrast
Then, straightened, moved foreground rocks to start from bottom left corner
cloned out tree
crop
B&W conversion using channel mixer
added slight violet filter to sky
High pass filter sharpen on rocks only
border / drop shadow in picasa :D

added a little blue into the shadows, yellow in highlights, vignette, contrast some reduce noise and sharpening, a selective colour layer to tweak the colours a touch, and that was that 10 mins or so.

Click for large:

ACR:
Slight bump to exposure and lifted shadows
Rotate

Photoshop:
Contrast boost with curvers layer
Colour boost with lab colour overlay
Dodged the reflections, then added a little warming with brush - (tried) to be subtle.
Cropped
High pass filter overlay

adjusted rocks for clarity and removed shadows
save
adjusted the rest of the pic and sharpen
open both and combine the two
reduce noise in sky only, also use blur where artifacts where too big
high pass hard light overlay
finish

In LR:

Lens profile
remove CA
slight sharpen

In PS:
Curves
added a black and white layer reducing blue and cyan
faded black and white layer back by 10% then flattened
increased saturation
added blank layer, added gradient, then used hard light mix with opacity at 15%

That's it

5 mins.

I wanted a far moodier look rather than the safe :)nuts: ) option.

Up a bit Exp, up a bit more Cont, Shads, up a lot Clarity. Down a bit Blacks, down a lot HL’s & Whites. Sats halved.
Tone curve a sexy slow bendy shape.
Reds & Orange up a lot, Aqua down a lot, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple & Magenta down a bit.
Split Toning twiddled
Sharpening 150, Rad 0.9 & Detail 8
Vignette HL priority

Last edited:
I too took the warmer approach.
Open ACR, just hit auto and opened in PS.
Copy layer.
On BC layer, dodge and burn sky water and hill shadows.
SAVE.
Pick brown as the foreground colour, with a soft round brush set at 5% opacity and with the slightest of pressure on the pen apply colour to trees and distant hills. With a light green selected, paint just a touch to the hillside and the tiniest amount of blue to the water.
SAVE.
Apply a warm filter (85) at 35%.
Crop 3x2 and straighten.
Create new layer, apply 50% grey grad from top to water line, adjust opacity to liking, erase from hillsides.
Flatten.
Select all, use stroke to create border.
SAVE.
Save for web.

The painting in is a favourite technique of mine, its something I’ve done since my mono darkroom days. If done gradually with low opacity and little pen pressure the build up of colour can be quite subtle.
Its not for everybody especially the mono purists, a bit like colour popping today. In my camera club days, we had one judge who refused to appraise such images, it didn’t stop us doing it though.

lake-warm.jpg

Rhodese.

A bit of a fiddle in camera raw - added a blue grad filter to the sky, altered exposure in the sky and the lake with a couple of adjustment brush bits and pieces. Also boosted the clarity setting and the saturation setting.

Then into photoshop and a touch of high pass sharpening, added a levels adjustment layer and tweaked the contrast just a touch.

Not much done to it really though. About ten minutes worth.

The full size original doesn't have that pixellated, claggy, grainy mess in the sky there but that must be the extra compression or photobucket trying to ruin things!

Hey thanks to everyone for the great response. (y)

its amazing how many different styles there are that look equally good with an image like this.

I think everyone did a great job well done.

The processing that really stood out for me were:

DayDreamer - lovely warm detail and highlites, very moody.
Pookeyhead - very nice & clean with a nice saturation balance.
Rhodese - again another nice warm version of the image.
symmetricalOCD - very high contrast (those clouds).
overbez - for the stunning contrast and lighting.

when 5 images say something different it gets hard. :thinking:

No, its got to be DayDreamer for his very moody warm interpretation.

Well done John....

lets see what you have. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew - this one was a lot harder than I first thought it would be - I am well chuffed as the other edits were to a high standard. I have been an avid follower of this thread for over a year & there is no doubt the overall PP'ing standard must be the highest I've seen :clap:

Sorry there is no RAW for this one. I do shoot RAW even though I 'only' use a P&S (but it is a good one - I think? (Nikon P7700)) - I can't lift anything heavier (health reasons) like a DSLR or even a Compact System Camera. If you click the picture it goes to Photobucket & then if you click bottom right hand corner - to enlarge - you can save the resultant full sized JPeg - I hope :LOL:

Deadline 8.00 p.m. & I will announce once I 've taken a good look through over the following half an hour next Tuesday to keep the quick turnaround

Last edited:
Firstly congratulations John on your win, a nice edit indeed.

Brixham harbour ay, I’ve had many a stroll there, about 1963 first time, I was on my first holiday, camping with a youth club. Blimey that’s 50yrs ago, where’s it all gone?

But I digress,

TPBrixhamHarbour-web2.jpg

My edit,
Open in ACR, hit auto, and dropped exposure 1stop. Open in PS, copy layer.
Convert to mono, name layer "Mono", remove the “thing” on the floor in front of the box.
Add foreground to give the box of tackle space.
SAVE.
New layer, apply grey (black) grad from top to the rooftops and from the bottom to half way up the box.
Adjust opacity to liking.
On the "Mono" layer, dodge and burn rooftops and windows, but mainly the box and its contents to give it more umff.
Flatten image.
Select all, use stroke to make border.
SAVE.
Save for web.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Edit in LR4.

TPBrixhamHarbour_zps05b53514-2.jpg

Temp -6, Tint 0

H -20, S +8, W -8, B +22

CL +20, V +12

Custom tone curve
Spot of split toning to add warmth
Graduated filter to boost blue tones in sky
Graduated filter in foreground to add detail to the ground

Firstly congratulations John on your win, a nice edit indeed.

Brixham harbour ay, I’ve had many a stroll there, about 1963 first time, I was on my first holiday, camping with a youth club. Blimey that’s 50yrs ago, where’s it all gone?

But I digress,

Rhodese.

Thanks for your congratulations (y)

Digress all you want :clap:

My honeymoon was 43 years ago in Torquay at which point was possibly my first trip to Brixham. A few years later than you. An 'OK' place when the sun shines but grim when it doesn't. Still not found a decent place for a coffee there though :thinking: And me being a caffeine addict :LOL:

Good edit Andrew & looks like it's a two horse race with Rhodese unless we get more entries - bump - bump - bump - bump :love:

Well done John...

My edit, in Lightroom 4.
I rotated then cropped.
I increased the whites and clarity, and decreased the blacks.
In the split toning bit I adjusted the highlights and shadows...
Then used the adjustment contrast brush...
Then sharpened slightly
Took 5 minutes.

'part time thread cop'
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Here ya go John, Brixham harbour, Hockney style

CLICKIT FOR BIG.

Took jpg into CS2
No adjustments
selected a rectangle
Copy and paste onto new layer
auto levels, contrast and colour
(manual levels if auto doesn;t work)
move slightly
repeat until whole area covered
ones at an angle created by selecting all layers and rotating everything then select etc.
drop shadow effect as layer style applied
white layer placed under all cut out sections
Auto level on finished collage
Picasa, slight "boost" to increase contrast and saturation overall
border
drop shadow

20-30 minutes

Last edited:
Click for big:

ACR:
Very slight exposure reduction and highlight reduction
Photoshop:
Burned water reflections
Curves adjustment layer to increase contrast
Curves adjustment layer to lighten
Masked adjustment layer to desat sky a little
Black & white adjustment layer, with: increase to yellow and cyans everything else decreased
Lowered opacity of b&w layer to 50%
High pass filter
Finished, took about 10 minutes.

here's my re-posted edit which I MUCH prefer, as you will see there is more detail and less artifacts...not quite as saturated this time.

Brix_harbour_BTedit2 by btyreman, on Flickr

LARGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8253/8758895964_9e23780533_o.jpg

I used LR5 BETA for this one,

first thing was to open it in Colour fx pro,

added kodak ektachrome ISO 100 film effect,

then in LR I used the new improved perspective correction which just straightened the horison slightly,

decreased the highlights,
increased highlights in tonecurve,
added a small amount of grain,
vignette,
sharpened and exported as jpeg,

I was going for a more mediterranean look because it's been so dull lately. (y)

Last edited:
and to RobL + Grayham how are you turning a 1024 pix photo into a bigger size one? and getting it looking that good?:thinking:

Just did what John said in his first post.... :LOL:

If you click the picture it goes to Photobucket & then if you click bottom right hand corner - to enlarge - you can save the resultant full sized JPeg - I hope :LOL:

reposted in place of the original....

Hey Ben

Looks like I should give points for your enthusiasm :clap:

I was thinking of trying the LR5 beta if I'm not too late. Is it worth a try?

Hey Ben

Looks like I should give points for your enthusiasm :clap:

I think it expires in june so there's time yet, it's well worth it on my system because it is a very fast machine...it's noticeably faster and I'm liking the new perspective correction a lot, get whilst it's still free!

O.K
I really didn't have a clue what to do with this one so I had a fiddle with the lightroom presets. :thinking: 60's?

TPBrixhamHarbour_zps05b53514-4 by Hill_Andy, on Flickr

LR5 - Beta

preset - yesteryear
preset - vignette 2
preset - grain (heavy)
auto white balance
highlights -76
export

Last edited:

Yes give it a go. it wont expire until they release it for sale.
as already said it is very fast but still a little raw around the edges (y)

Yes give it a go. it wont expire until they release it for sale.
as already said it is very fast but still a little raw around the edges (y)

Yes I will take a look tomorrow - too much staring at my laptop so far today :puke:

56 Minutes to go so surely there may be the odd last minute entry :wave:

Thanks all for the entries & so sorry but I’m not going to give detailed critique for each entry because I don’t really feel expert enough. Be assured it’s not because I can’t be bothered.

It’s bad enough doing the edits & then if you are the ‘chosen one’ it’s really bad trying to pick a shot that will be OK but now judging the winner has become another layer of stress – but enjoyable. Do I choose based on studying every pixel in entries – no not my style – I can only choose on the one/ones that look right by my standards of a ‘good looking’ edit & one I may have printed & may even have hanging on my wall :clap:

I was surprised no edits were more adventurous with the cropping as (in my eyes) I felt the shot was not right but hey that’s me!! I was also surprised there was only one B&W edit as I tried one & thought it looked OK – unless someone tells me “oh no it doesn’t”. I did cheat & add a few clouds :D

Right -- the winner & second place were less than 1% apart & I really had a problems deciding on which one but Neil you are the winner :1st: (not you again its getting a habit of yours – but you deserve it as you do some bloody good edits) & second place to AndrewP :2nd:

Here’s mine a colour one & my cheating B&W version – am I allowed to put two up :LOL:

Back