The Real Beauty Project Revived – Group Therapy **NSFW**

Another one from me, yes I have slap on (I usually do though) and of course a facinator, but no photoshopping on me, just a few tweaks to the background and contrast. :D All me, warts n all... Not the greatest one by a long shot and not my favourite from the shoot...

nb3.jpg

Hmmm, I am worried I cant view pictures anymore :(

Moved jobs, and they are a little stricter here with web viewing, having to use quota time to view this :D

Will have to have a look when I get home :)

Betty, I am gutted that I've missed this thread up until now :(

In September 2007 I was admitted to the eating disorders unit of Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge. At the time I was 35 years old weighed 6 stones and 8 pounds. I had suffered with Anorexia Nervosa for over 9 years at the time and at lost just over 5 stones during that time. As you can imagine, I have never been happy with my body image and one too many dents to my self esteem lead to the horrors I went through.

Now, nearly 12 years after my "diet" started I am a much healthier 9 stone 10 pounds and am living my life again. I am working full-time AND working as a professional wedding photographer. When I was at the worst of my illness I didn't have the energy or strength to do part-time work, let alone two jobs!!

It was the staff in the eating disorders ward that encouraged me to consider professional photography and I certainly owe them so many "thank yous" that I never know where to start. One thing I am determined to do at some point is to combine my love of photography with the experiences I have gone through so that I can highlight the dangers of E.Ds and that men as well as women can suffer from them. A suppose an illustrated book would be most appropriate.

Before I go, I haven't taken a picture of myself for this thread. But here's one my girlfriend (and greatest support) took a couple of months ago.

4111994629_dd3322bd7a.jpg

Ta for reading

All the best,

Ryan

Well done to you fella for not just coming out it with good strength but for excelling at what you do. Well done.

:clap:

Another one from me, yes I have slap on (I usually do though) and of course a facinator, but no photoshopping on me, just a few tweaks to the background and contrast. :D All me, warts n all... Not the greatest one by a long shot and not my favourite from the shoot...

Very nice Mynxie, Very natural looking (y)

And of course lol @ Betty's new title :D

Well done to you fella for not just coming out it with good strength but for excelling at what you do. Well done.

:clap:

Thanks so much mate. Reading this has been a great help - me and the mirror were not getting on at all well last night :(

So if all my comments on TP today are horrible you all know why now :D

In September 2007 I was admitted to the eating disorders unit of Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge. At the time I was 35 years old weighed 6 stones and 8 pounds. I had suffered with Anorexia Nervosa for over 9 years at the time and at lost just over 5 stones during that time. As you can imagine, I have never been happy with my body image and one too many dents to my self esteem lead to the horrors I went through.

Now, nearly 12 years after my "diet" started I am a much healthier 9 stone 10 pounds and am living my life again. I am working full-time AND working as a professional wedding photographer. When I was at the worst of my illness I didn't have the energy or strength to do part-time work, let alone two jobs!!

It was the staff in the eating disorders ward that encouraged me to consider professional photography and I certainly owe them so many "thank yous" that I never know where to start. One thing I am determined to do at some point is to combine my love of photography with the experiences I have gone through so that I can highlight the dangers of E.Ds and that men as well as women can suffer from them. A suppose an illustrated book would be most appropriate.

Before I go, I haven't taken a picture of myself for this thread. But here's one my girlfriend (and greatest support) took a couple of months ago.

Ta for reading

All the best,

Ryan

:clap: Good for you Ryan - thanks for sharing. Anorexia in men is something that's not heard about very often, it's great to read of a success story.

Not really sure how suitable or how related my image is for this thread. I HATE my picture. With a vengeance. So thought I'd post one. Although its been taken with the webcam :)exit::coat:) No makeup. Just me as me. Although I like the idea of (properly :D photographing myself more in the studio. Will give it a go. Congrats to everyone who has posted on here too. (y)

4432464609_2ff8ae649a_o.jpg

Not really sure how suitable or how related my image is for this thread. I HATE my picture. With a vengeance. So thought I'd post one. Although its been taken with the webcam :)exit::coat:) No makeup. Just me as me. Although I like the idea of (properly :D photographing myself more in the studio. Will give it a go. Congrats to everyone who has posted on here too. (y)

4432464609_2ff8ae649a_o.jpg

I like it. Well done for posting. But your mole has swapped sides! (Seem to remember that from a film or comedy series where a mole kept moving around?)

lol it wanders about. :D I have no idea why its different! Maybe the webcam flips it? - the image that is, not the mole! :D

Last edited:
Ok flipped the image and this is what I look like normally, no make up.
Makes sense coz of the window light! :bonk:

4433056207_0f4fc826d7_o.jpg

Well, after reading through this thread (a few times) I finally decided to lay myself bare, figuratively speaking. Just a little background, I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for the past few months, nothing serious probably a mid-life crises coupled with having to do a job I don't enjoy, and I'm just now starting to feel a bit more like normal. So, what I thought I would try and do is a sort of before and after shot. This what I have felt like for a while.....

and this is what I used to feel like and what I am starting to feel like recently....

I've tried to do an honest portrait, no wrinkles removed or chins reduced, and up until recently I would not have been able to post this but as I get better confidence is returning. I'm not much to look at but I've got my happy face back.

Cheers

Andy

Well, after reading through this thread (a few times) I finally decided to lay myself bare, figuratively speaking. Just a little background, I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for the past few months, nothing serious probably a mid-life crises coupled with having to do a job I don't enjoy, and I'm just now starting to feel a bit more like normal. So, what I thought I would try and do is a sort of before and after shot. This what I have felt like for a while.....

and this is what I used to feel like and what I am starting to feel like recently....

I've tried to do an honest portrait, no wrinkles removed or chins reduced, and up until recently I would not have been able to post this but as I get better confidence is returning. I'm not much to look at but I've got my happy face back.

Cheers

Andy
like both of those andy thats a nice smile you,ve got there don,t put yourself down (y) glad you,re feeling better :)

Well played mate. I've been taking AD's for a few years and really do know what the darkness feels like. So pleased your getting there :)

On first viewing I thought I was looking at The Edge from **!! :D

Thanks guys. I think I've been lucky after reading of other peoples troubles, sometimes I feel a bit of a fraud but I know thats part of the problem. Long live the happy pills......

Andy

The Edge you say, blimey I'm not sure my missus would agree. :LOL:

Well done Andy, your second portrait really bought a smile to my face! You look just like a friend of mine, and he has a lovely cheeky smile too :D

Well done :clap:

Ta for reading

All the best,

Ryan

That's pretty inspirational, Ryan. Thanks for sharing. Think I'll share a bit of my story now...

Although I do post quite a few selfies I felt it important to support this thread. Ryan's candid and honest post about his challenge to overcome his condition prompted me to say a little about the past decade for me.

I currently have PVFS/CFS and at my lowest ebb weighed Les than 8 stone due to developing terrible digestive problems and an utter fear of food. This is mostly under control now and I'm the heaviest I've been in all that time, but during those days I was yellow from jaundice and had an awful body image. Anyway, this shot is kind of an attempt to convey that.
Clickable.

Hi all,

I've finally got around to spending the time going through this thread and I wish I'd done it sooner... There are some fantastic images in here and some really inspirational stuff.

I absolutely hate having my picture taken... There are a number of reasons why. Mainly it's 'cos I hate my smile. Over the years, I've had a few accidents and problems which mean that my teeth aren't as healthy as they should be. I have an absolute fear of dentists and I don't go near them unless it's absolutely necessary and the visits always leave me shaking and vowing never to go back.

I'm also a big fella... Not as big as I was and at my worst, I got up to over 21 stone but now I'm back down to 17 1/2 which is much better... I've had grey hair since I was about 20 and now that I'm over the 40 mark, it's getting a bit thinner too. :)

I'm lucky in that my girlfriend is 20 years younger than me so I guess I must have done something right (although I swear her eyesight is faulty). ;)

Anyway... Here's a selfie that was taken last year in a moment of madness and boredom. Feel free to print it off and hang it over the fireplace... It should keep the kids away! :D

This was a great read and very enjoyable... I'll be keeping a regular eye on this from now on.

Si

IMG_3438self1resizetp.jpg

Si, that's a wonderful selfie, mate. Thanks for sharing.

That, Si, is a very nice portrait. And Dean, yours does portray, very well, your problems. What a handsome bunch of fellas we are, the girls on here must be thanking their lucky stars.......:thinking::D

And thank you too Dee. A cheeky smile you say, my wife says it looks like I've just secretly farted.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
I love your self portrait Dean makes me wonder what was it you're thinking so disappointedly about and then i read your post - so it definitely works for me!

Si, yours is really strong - immediately drawn to your eyes then i kinda wanna hide cos it makes me feel like i am in trouble lol

Here's one i did the other day as a part of the whole loving myself thing :)

4430903008_cb7499f8f9.jpg

Well done everyone, some amazing new images!

You're all just brilliant, I cant believe this thread is still going strong :):)

I love your self portrait Dean makes me wonder what was it you're thinking so disappointedly about and then i read your post - so it definitely works for me!

Si, yours is really strong - immediately drawn to your eyes then i kinda wanna hide cos it makes me feel like i am in trouble lol

Love the angle of this. It's a really nice shot and you should love yourself cos you're very beautiful. :)

Thanks a lot Matt, I really appreciate it. Never considered myself to be "inspirational" before but if I can help others along the way I'll do my best.

Ryan, you're certainly an inspiration, every one of the images posted here is an inspiration. Its made me think about going in front of the camera instead of hiding behind it. :thinking:

Ryan, you're certainly an inspiration, every one of the images posted here is an inspiration. Its made me think about going in front of the camera instead of hiding behind it. :thinking:

Thats the way to do it :clap:

...Si, yours is really strong - immediately drawn to your eyes then i kinda wanna hide cos it makes me feel like i am in trouble lol

You're not the first to think the same thing with that look of mine! It's a standard 'pose' for me though... My daughter says I should smile more! ;)

Funnily enough, I used that shot as part of my SWPP portrait submission and the mentors didn't like it 'cos they said my face was too square on to the camera and the hollows of my eyes were too dark! :wacky:

Your portrait is beautiful... a hint of a smile would have made it perfect. :)

Take care,
Si

I thought I'd join in :) Never done nething like this before, I'm not a very confident kinda person. I'm also not very good at photos of people :crying: I need to steal some of my friends to be models so I can practise :LOL: This is the best I've come up with so far ...

C3.jpg

:runaway::exit:
Chris

I thought I'd join in :) Never done nething like this before, I'm not a very confident kinda person. I'm also not very good at photos of people :crying: I need to steal some of my friends to be models so I can practise :LOL: This is the best I've come up with so far ...

C3.jpg

:runaway::exit:
Chris

Ooh this is cool, i'm liking the double shadow too :)

Stunning eyes, really draw you into the photo.

Back