The SELECTIVE COLOUR (oh no!) thread

yep I agree wally. Quirky and clever

Considering what has been posted already
...I don't think this makes the grade!

DSC_2228.jpg

that's so weird graham, I was thinking of doing something similar, but using the view of a church from the street. It works well :)

I had to show some students the very basics of editing in Photoshop because Picasa wasn't able to put on the PCs we were using, and the first thing a handful of them wanted to do when I showed them the Layers, was selective colour. I said to them, 'you know this has been out of fashion for a few years?' They didn't seem to mind. :LOL:

fashion? pah! I thumb my nose at fashion! just ask anyone who's seen me lol.

I use Gimp for mine :)

I had this up a while back (another thread) but it fits in here so what the hell :)
Went for a quite subtle colouring. My one and only, so far.
(Indecently, it's as I found it, not posed)

Shell by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

'nother one from me

6257237821_fdbe8c9a13_z.jpg

I deliberately used SC on this one to bring the guy out from the other surrounding people most of which were in bright clothing. I had a fraction of a second to get this shot and I just love the look of despair in his eyes contrasting with the hat as his cricket team (England) are losing, badly, and he's a long long way from home.

Tears of a Clown
tears.jpg

Taken on my old 300D.

Nick_Jeffels_2_465x700_.jpg

I like SC now and again, some images are it better for it than others.

that's so weird graham, I was thinking of doing something similar, but using the view of a church from the street. It works well :)

Great minds think alike Summer!! Your latest one is very clever.

Thank you so much.

Sounds like a guilty pleasure for many! I like it anyway and it seems that those who are the subject of selective colour like it too.

The Toastmaster liked this one.

Toastmaster by Simon Reynolds, on Flickr

nice one Matt - love the colours :)

Here is a shot I took at the beginning of the year and was my first in the 52 challenge. Alas, work and family meant that I didn't manage to keep up with the 52 challenge. New Year's resolution already made for next year ;)

5320559315_7032527744_z.jpg

Have to say I don't dislike a bit of selective colouring here and there when done well, but there are some really poor ones on here with a few superb efforts inbetween IMHO.

Have to say I don't dislike a bit of selective colouring here and there when done well, but there are some really poor ones on here with a few superb efforts inbetween IMHO.

Not everyones great at editing pics, you wont improve if you dont try.

My effort most definitely falls into the 'really poor' category but having never done it before I followed a tutorial by another poster and it worked...so I shared it.
My editing skills are very basic to say the least, I'd like to think they'll improve given time and expert guidance from others on here. ;)

Not everyones great at editing pics, you wont improve if you dont try.

I don't think it's the actual editing that I don't like, it's more the choice of what subject is left in colour and in what image. A lot of people think the umbrella in colour for example is a bit cliche and has been done to death, but the one on here in the old building I like. It works well bringing your eye to the subject, that being the umbrella.
However, colouring a few green leaves in an image, yet leaving the main subject (a horse in this case) in B&W I don't find very pleasing on the eye. I just think more time could be spent thinking about what you're trying to achieve by selective colouring, rather than just randomly picking something to "colour in". :shrug:
I know it's all subjective though. ;)

Gareth

Back