The SELECTIVE COLOUR (oh no!) thread

I took this a long time ago when I was still trying out the auto modes on my husband's camera - it's not a great pic but in the spirit of the thread :)

beach1 by Iris_255, on Flickr

There are some really great photographs in this thread, some would easily debunk the bad press spot-colouring gets and would certainly teach a lesson to many out there who get it wrong

(and I saw the green car too :) )

Last edited:
This is the first one I have done as selective colour - I am sure there must be a more accurate way to do this rather than the way I did it: by opening the image, desaturating, then erasing the area I wanted to remain coloured? Not used PS much so dont really know what I am doing with it? But hey ho, this is my first attempt and I am quite pleased really!!

ladybugselective.jpg

This is the first one I have done as selective colour - I am sure there must be a more accurate way to do this rather than the way I did it: by opening the image, desaturating, then erasing the area I wanted to remain coloured? Not used PS much so dont really know what I am doing with it? But hey ho, this is my first attempt and I am quite pleased really!!

ladybugselective.jpg

Hi Sam
good first attempt, but the bug looks oof to me, perhaps someone can say it's not and my monitor needs to be calibrated?

I just found my first ever selective colour attempt:

snug as a bug by Iris_255, on Flickr

I was so proud of this shot and it was probably on that day out that the bug really got me (no pun intended)

Hi Sam
good first attempt, but the bug looks oof to me, perhaps someone can say it's not and my monitor needs to be calibrated?

No, its not your monitor - he is a little bit soft - he was actually really motoring along (nearly said 'beetling' but thought that was a bit of a duff pun! LOL!) and inconveniently wouldnt stay still!

I did get a sharper one of him, but it was just as he dived under a leaf so only go half of him!

Daniel-023t.jpg

Thought I'd have a go at this.
1. This is a pretty bad photo, missed focus and blown out windows (it's one of the first shots I ever took!), but I thought it lends itself to this colour trick quite well

Deadmau5 by LeonJB, on Flickr

2. I took this specifically for this thread

Back Catalogue by LeonJB, on Flickr

Any C&C will be very appreciated.

Dont shoot me, but I actually really like colour selection!! LOL!!

What is the best way to do this? I googled it, but it seems overly complex and when I have tried it, I dont get the colour as bright as I would like. I have only managed to do it once, but would like to do more of it in future so any advice/ pointers towards a thread explaining would be most gratefully received!!

What is the best way to do this? I googled it, but it seems overly complex and when I have tried it, I dont get the colour as bright as I would like. I have only managed to do it once, but would like to do more of it in future so any advice/ pointers towards a thread explaining would be most gratefully received!!

Try youtube for some tutorials on the software you use. It's pretty easy really (y)

If you hve some photo editing software such as Photoshop which allows layers it's really quite easy. Take the colour image and make this the bottom layer and then duplicate that layer and convert this to black and white. You should now have two layers, one in colour and one in black and white, with the B&W one sitting above the colour and hence visible. To get the bits you want in colour simply erase those bits from the B&W image to leave the colour image below showing through.

Last edited:
Back