The silly state of dual memory card.

I can answer this, but do you want to take into account that i shoot on average 15 hours?

Do you take into account that for every photo I take minimum of 2, may be 3 because of people blink.

But what relevance are you trying to draw from this except trying to suggest I am a machine gun shooter and as a result my work is not as good as others?

Have you seen some of the greatest shots, how they shoot a roll of 36 and only ever pick 1?

And the fact that I only hit the buffer during confetti and nothing else, Nothing else, will tell you that I don’t machine gun it any other time.
Woooh hold the paranoia! I was interested to know how many shots you take per wedding. I know you stated last year you did circa 80 weddings.

That's not quite as stupid as it sounds.
I went on a photo shoot a couple of months ago. OK, it was a trainspotters job so the place was full of anoraks. One guy had two identical film cameras on a bracket and a set up that enabled him to press both shutters at once. Heath Robinson was a beginner compared to that set up. Weighed a ton, probably due to all the scaffolding needed. He had both camera set identical so his shots would be identical. Camera settings were fixed at the start of the day. I didn't understand his reasoning so left him in a discussion about flange plate bolts or something equally obscure.

I will admit to not reading the full thread:sleep: so if this has been ask sorry was this guy shooting 3D as that set up sounds a bit like it.

Last edited:
Woooh hold the paranoia! I was interested to know how many shots you take per wedding. I know you stated last year you did circa 80 weddings.

I never said that!

As for how many, average around 3500-4000 between 2 bodies.

I never said that!

As for how many, average around 3500-4000 between 2 bodies.
Ok, I thought you said last year you did 78, but I couldn’t find on which page to check. So if you do an average of 1,750-2000 shots per body per wedding that means according to Canon figures your 5D mkIV’s shutter life would be reached after 75-85 weddings. You’ve stated you have your cameras serviced, do they have new shutter units fitted? If not worrying about backing up cards would be less relevant than shutter failure.

Ok, I thought you said last year you did 78, but I couldn’t find on which page to check. So if you do an average of 1,750-2000 shots per body per wedding that means according to Canon figures your 5D mkIV’s shutter life would be reached after 75-85 weddings. You’ve stated you have your cameras serviced, do they have new shutter units fitted? If not worrying about backing up cards would be less relevant than shutter failure.

You are trying to get at whether my shutter will break during a wedding ?

You do know it’s not a number when it hits it’ll just go pop? It can go pop just as easily at 30k or at 100k.

That’s why you have 2 cameras. That’s why I have up to 4 cameras.....

You are trying to get at whether my shutter will break during a wedding ?

You do know it’s not a number when it hits it’ll just go pop? It can go pop just as easily at 30k or at 100k.

That’s why you have 2 cameras. That’s why I have up to 4 cameras.....
No actually I was trying to point out that despite all your complaints about slow slots, the need for back up cards being written simultaneously at high speed to safeguard your professional reputation, your 5d’s are rated to only a third (actually 150,000) against the 1Dxii (500,000) that as a professional I would buy. You’ve commented on why should you have to spend the additional cost of 1Dxii bodies in several replies, but to be honest after your explanation of travelling the day before and given the fees weddings command it’s a drop in the ocean for you - the right professional equipment is the right tool for the job. Virtually every sports photographer doing professional work uses 1D/D5 bodies despite earning considerably less for what according to you is an easy job, if they can see that I’m not sure why wedding photographers can’t.

No actually I was trying to point out that despite all your complaints about slow slots, the need for back up cards being written simultaneously at high speed to safeguard your professional reputation, your 5d’s are rated to only a third (actually 150,000) against the 1Dxii (500,000) that as a professional I would buy. You’ve commented on why should you have to spend the additional cost of 1Dxii bodies in several replies, but to be honest after your explanation of travelling the day before and given the fees weddings command it’s a drop in the ocean for you - the right professional equipment is the right tool for the job. Virtually every sports photographer doing professional work uses 1D/D5 bodies despite earning considerably less for what according to you is an easy job, if they can see that I’m not sure why wedding photographers can’t.

Actually I shoot like a dozen weddings a year, I sold the 5D3 at 150k shutter count sooooooo all that you’ve written don’t support the shutter life dying.

And As for sports photographs can use 1D and I can’t? Well...sports photographers put theirs with a massive 600mm lens on top but do you know what they don’t do? They don’t work 15 hours on their feet running around, they sit on a spot with the camera on a monopod.

Want to ask them if they want to run around for 15hrs with their kit?

Actually I shoot like a dozen weddings a year, I sold the 5D3 at 150k shutter count sooooooo all that you’ve written don’t support the shutter life dying.

And As for sports photographs can use 1D and I can’t? Well...sports photographers put theirs with a massive 600mm lens on top but do you know what they don’t do? They don’t work 15 hours on their feet running around, they sit on a spot with the camera on a monopod.

Want to ask them if they want to run around for 15hrs with their kit?
Well apparently several people have pointed out the 1Dxii would help solve your apparent problem but you refused that advice.

You did point out ‘it takes a man to apologise’ so having claimed that a football photographer only has to press the shutter button when a player moves their foot, and now they just ‘sit on a spot’ what’s your next point - a trained monkey could be a football photographer? Any other disparaging remarks you’d like to make about professional photographers?

Ps congratulations on making a living from 12 weddings a year. Clearly you’re managing something that no other wedding photographer I’ve ever met has and I’ve known literally hundreds over my working life!

Last edited:
Well apparently several people have pointed out the 1Dxii would help solve your apparent problem but you refused that advice.

You did point out ‘it takes a man to apologise’ so having claimed that a football photographer only has to press the shutter button when a player moves their foot, and now they just ‘sit on a spot’ what’s your next point - a trained monkey could be a football photographer? Any other disparaging remarks you’d like to make about professional photographers?

Ps congratulations on making a living from 12 weddings a year. Clearly you’re managing something that no other wedding photographer I’ve ever met has and I’ve known literally hundreds over my working life!

God, you are unbelievable.

You ask a question. I answer you.

You assume wrong facts, I tell you the truth.

And to prove that I didn't pick 150,000 number just to win the argument, check the date when I posted that. The truth.

MDPUt1m.png

You use that then to try to use it against me.

I prove to you that the truth is within your own original assumptions with goes against your own argument of risk of shutter dying.

The entire exercise is you trying to prove something that you are unable to, you are back to “just get the 1D!” I have told you many times that why I don’t want to with reasons.

Sure not all sports photographs sit on their bum, I am making a general assumptions there, I apologise but what sports photographs really run around for 15hrs with both bodies all day stopping for only 15mins once? What kind of sports would that be? I’m struggling to think of a sport that do that. And I never ever said the term "trained monkey". You did.

I never said I make a living out of 12 weddings a year (or that’s all I do), I didn't even want to say in the first place, you make it sound like I said that to prove something. You just assumed some incorrect facts so I told you the truth afterwards. I have never asked for congratulations or adoration for it. You forgot that is something YOU personally asked, I just answered. You asked for a number, I told you. You make it sound like I said “i shoot 12 weddings and that’s all I need”.

You are hell bent on trying to prove something from the start. What is wrong with you?

Last edited:
Raymond there’s nothing wrong with me, but you seem hell bent on maintaining the arguement that the 5Dmkiv is ‘gimped’ to use your words because you and you only appear to have a desire for Canon to provide two slots which will write at exactly the same speed. You finally admitted you haven’t spoken to Canon, but after this rant you will at a show.
Despite attempting to justify your comments so far you’ve stated that sports photographers don’t have any timing difficulty with a shot to the level you have with one confetti shot, followed by a sit in one spot comment. Then you announce that no one else carries all their equipment around for 15 hours! You know what you’re probably right, because I know no other wedding photographer who would spend 15 hours at a job.

Raymond there’s nothing wrong with me, but you seem hell bent on maintaining the arguement that the 5Dmkiv is ‘gimped’ to use your words because you and you only appear to have a desire for Canon to provide two slots which will write at exactly the same speed. You finally admitted you haven’t spoken to Canon, but after this rant you will at a show.
Despite attempting to justify your comments so far you’ve stated that sports photographers don’t have any timing difficulty with a shot to the level you have with one confetti shot, followed by a sit in one spot comment. Then you announce that no one else carries all their equipment around for 15 hours! You know what you’re probably right, because I know no other wedding photographer who would spend 15 hours at a job.

I never ever claimed no other wedding photographers spend 15 hours on the job. You assumed. I said show me a sports photographer that shoots a particular sports and run around all day with it with 2 x 1Ds for 15 hours. If you can think of a kind of sports that the photographer needs to be on his feet all day like that then I would happily apologise and stand corrected.

And why did I mention sports photographers? because in post #449, you did.

I never said sports photographers don't have difficulty timing, I said they would know when the key moment will come. And those key moments and generally enough for a bursts and add to the fact that they mostly shoot JPEG (because it needs to be wifi to the laptop up on the press box) and the images require less editing, their buffer won't fill up as fast. And I am not criticising them for using JPEG, so don't assume that i did, please.

I have never pretend I have spoken to Canon, I never lied, you assumed I did.

I already said I apologise if you are a sports photographer and you don't sit on the same spot all day. What more do you want? I apologise again? Okay, I am sorry.

I don't know what you are trying to do here now, except assuming a lot of things. What are you trying to do now? Read back the post from today…what is your intention today?

I don't even want to talk about this anymore, i am just answering your question about shutter count which lead down this rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I never ever claimed no other wedding photographers spend 15 hours on the job. You assumed. I said show me a sports photographer that shoots a particular sports and run around all day with it with 2 x 1Ds for 15 hours. If you can think of a kind of sports that the photographer needs to be on his feet all day like that then I would happily apologise and stand corrected.

And why did I mention sports photographers? because in post #449, you did.

I never said sports photographers don't have difficulty timing, I said they would know when the key moment will come. And those key moments and generally enough for a bursts and add to the fact that they mostly shoot JPEG (because it needs to be wifi to the laptop up on the press box) and the images require less editing, their buffer won't fill up as fast. And I am not criticising them for using JPEG, so don't assume that i did, please.

I have never pretend I have spoken to Canon, I never lied, you assumed I did.

I already said I apologise if you are a sports photographer and you don't sit on the same spot all day. What more do you want? I apologise again? Okay, I am sorry.

I don't know what you are trying to do here now, except assuming a lot of things. What are you trying to do now? Read back the post from today…what is your intention today?

I don't even want to talk about this anymore, i am just answering your question about shutter count which lead down this rabbit hole.

So, did you go to the Photography Show and have a chat with the Canon person (better be pc)?

From scanning the Sony thread (at least a few recent pages of the nearly 700) you can’t use some of the eye control AF with a Canon adapter, however on burst mode apparently where he was getting 3 shots with his Canon he’s managing 12....

Back