The silly state of dual memory card.

Nobody has said dont shoot back-up, I reiterate you started the thread with the question about speed of slots not about back-up, you have moved it away from the original question and I tried to answer that question, backup is important of course, there's a limit to how much you can cover all eventualities and if the write speed is so important you need to man-up and get the correct kit instead of whinging and whining that Canon have got it wrong.

What are you talking about now? For the entire afternoon we are talking about the importance of back up slot in terms of its function purely as back up. People brought up "there is more chance winning the lottery than a card failure".

Now you are going over whinging Canon have got it wrong? I haven't mentioned Canon all day today.

You keep shifting the topic…..

Hey I got one,
What if you fall ill and start being sick, do you take a spare photographer too? :D lol
I already asked that, but he ignored me. :)

Raymond,

the whole reason you are arguing for dual equal speeds slots was that you didn't want to walk backwards with two cameras incase you tripped an fell over (Post No.96):

So..............fixing the issue you have will not solve the problem; can you see this or explain where I have got it wrong?

HA, I knew you would say that.

So you are basically giving me a choice of choosing whether a camera fail during that 20s or shooting a fast consistent write?

How about I choose both? I just don't need the hassle of swapping cameras in mid shoot, because that is the biggest risk and put the 2nd camera in front of me over my neck instead of to the side of my shoulder hence if I fall, it doesn't hit the ground……..happy? LOL

What are you talking about now? For the entire afternoon we are talking about the importance of back up slot in terms of its function purely as back up. People brought up "there is more chance winning the lottery than a card failure".

Now you are going over whinging Canon have got it wrong? I haven't mentioned Canon all day today.

You keep shifting the topic…..
OK you're right and I'm wrong, the only part of this thread we can now discuss is the bit that started this afternoon.
You're right and Canon are wrong because they screwed up (twice with the 5D)

I can see a pattern emerging.

I
I asked, What would you do if the camera had a mechanical fault and you replied:

Raymond,

the whole reason you are arguing for dual equal speeds slots was that you didn't want to walk backwards with two cameras incase you tripped an fell over (Post No.96):

So..............fixing the issue you have will not solve the problem; can you see this or explain where I have got it wrong?

I usually call this Check-Mate and the game ends?

Hey I got one,
What if you fall ill and start being sick, do you take a spare photographer too? :D lol

I thought i already explained that, I said people would understand of sickness (and your reputation is less in trouble over sickness over lack of care) but how do you explain lack of due diligence?

I know you guys are having fun trying to poke fun and see how far I'd go, which you already know, I try my best. But every question you ask, I question your professionalism.

I thought i already explained that, I said people would understand of sickness (and your reputation is less in trouble over sickness over lack of care) but how do you explain lack of due diligence?

I know you guys are having fun trying to poke fun and see how far I'd go, which you already know, I try my best. But every question you ask, I question your professionalism.
That really isnt the case, I and I guess others are trying patiently to the point of exhaustion that the problem is you have the wrong tool for the job but for some reason you wont see the solution, GET THE RIGHT TOOL.

That really isnt the case, I and I guess others are trying patiently to the point of exhaustion that the problem is you have the wrong tool for the job but for some reason you wont see the solution, GET THE RIGHT TOOL.

What is the right tool?

Get in my shoes.

I am happy with the camera, practically every aspect apart from this. What other tool that I am as happy as this?

Do you think I want this little thing changed or swap for something else that i am 80% happy with?

Last edited:
As has been stated, many times, the right tool for your one particular application i.e. the confetti shot, is a pair of 1DX mk2's if you want to stay with Canon. What is wrong with that model and I suspect your answer will be weight, so you have a choice
1) Put up with the extra weight
2) Put up with what you have and carry 2 of them during the confetti shots

As has been stated, many times, the right tool for your one particular application i.e. the confetti shot, is a pair of 1DX mk2's if you want to stay with Canon. What is wrong with that model and I suspect your answer will be weight, so you have a choice
1) Put up with the extra weight
2) Put up with what you have and carry 2 of them during the confetti shots

Like i said, I am not after a fix today. I am asking for a fix in the future.

If i can get a fix for the card slot speed instead of having to spend for the cost for the 1Ds and the weight? why wouldn't I want that?

What i am asking is small, at least to me, because i see Fuji and Nikon have implemented.

Sorry I was just trying to lighten the mood, we are now on page 9 of this thread :D

:)

Anyway, i am happy for this thread to be closed ! Going round in circles (2 days ago)
Indeed, there's a fix, of sorts, available today but you choose not to use it and wait for the 5D5/6/7 or whatever.
Incidentally, do you use a battery grip? Multiple batteries?

Indeed, there's a fix, of sorts, available today but you choose not to use it and wait for the 5D5/6/7 or whatever.
Incidentally, do you use a battery grip? Multiple batteries?

Hence the thread is a rant, not a request for recommendation.

I have around a dozen batteries, lost count tbh….used to use gripes, not any more because I find them to be kind of useless. A single battery is enough to get me through 80% of the day, but I always change it during the reception when i am eating to ensure I have enough battery to get through the rest of the evening.

Backing up on the go is using dual cards.

Backing up on the go is not get your laptop out and transfer it over.

You check you card by seeing the camera is working at every minute.

How are you going to do something about a corrupt card? Honestly? Are you going to say “stop everyone, hold the ceremony while I run a recovery software to see if I can recover these images, we might have to run through the whole ceremony again if I can’t !”

Are you seriously arguing the merit of shooting dual cards? Unbelievable. Using the excuse of just because it never happens to you so you can put someone’s wedding on the line is absurd.

I have it happened to me but as luck have it, it was not a paid job, now are you going to argue lighting isn’t going to strike twice?

What a load of rubbish trying to justify not shooting back up on a paid job and compare it to winning to a lottery. Ridiculous.

The only rubbish being spewed in here sonny, is coming from yourself. 8 pages of you bouncing around arguing with every solid point put your way. You don't sound in the slightest professional, dual slots should be the least of your client's concerns IMO. I don't shoot weddings, so why should that side of it bother me? I'm not the only try-harding to be super 'pro' here. I don't need dual slots, my camera only has one as it happens. And if you don't have an assistant who backs up EXTERNALLY [for the third f'ing time] then you shouldn't be charging pro services, you are about as amateur as you can get depending on dual card slots to save the day. Sheesh ... have you 'eard yerself mate? :hungover:

Last edited:
Like i said, I am not after a fix today. I am asking for a fix in the future.

Now the thread makes senses, you should have said that as your first line in the first post. I agree, all tech trickles down eventually.

You will live with the problem today and hope it gets rectified in the 5dv, if not I look forward to the same conversation when it is released

However Canon will probably upgrade their ‘flagship’ professional camera before the 5D mkIV....
Working in sports I needed to be professional and I bought 2 of the then best cameras for the job EOS1D’s, if I was still doing professional photography I’d have 2 EOS1DxII

The irony of this afternoons debate is that by canon not including two fast card slots is that another backup is being created-cameras are being swapped due to the card issue and resulting in potentially the part of the same moment be taken on two cameras rather than one with four copies of data rather than two. More copies of images covering the same moment so less likely for all images ever to be lost from one shoot (unless you are really, really unlucky). Silver lining and all that.

Now the thread makes senses, you should have said that as your first line in the first post. I agree, all tech trickles down eventually.

You will live with the problem today and hope it gets rectified in the 5dv, if not I look forward to the same conversation when it is released

I thought that was obvious? but if I didn't I am SURE I mentioned it like 3 or 5 times since lol But anyway, that's what I meant.

The only rubbish being spewed in here sonny, is coming from yourself. 8 pages of you bouncing around arguing with every solid point put your way. You don't sound in the slightest professional, dual slots should be the least of your client's concerns IMO. I don't shoot weddings, so why should that side of it bother me? I'm not the only try-harding to be super 'pro' here. I don't need dual slots, my camera only has one as it happens. And if you don't have an assistant who backs up EXTERNALLY [for the third f'ing time] then you shouldn't be charging pro services, you are about as amateur as you can get depending on dual card slots to save the day. Sheesh ... have you 'eard yerself mate? :hungover:

Stop talking rubbish, if you want to have unprotected sex, you got no one else to blame when you catch something.

It's a metaphor, unless i need to explain what that is.

I am not asking whether you shoot weddings, I never asked you that. I did say you would be reckless and unprofessional for a paid job for not doing so. A paid job doesn't need to be a wedding. If you are getting paid for the shoot, you need to have back up. I am not trying to be a super pro, I am doing the MINIMUM required as a professional, for shooting dual cards for back up.

Now tell me, how is that unprofessional?

Last edited:
What i am asking is small, at least to me, because i see Fuji and Nikon have implemented.

I assume you're ignoring my posts #312 and #319 as they don't tell you what you think the answer should be. Nikon haven't implemented your wish. The D850 and D500 have 2 different speed cards and the D5 with 2 of the fastest card slot currently available gets a slower write rate in backup mode than in single slot mode- in your approach the D5 is gimped because you have to choose between fastest throughput for images or backup mode.

Even the 1DX ( I cant find info on a 1DX2) with 2 CF slots suffers the same issue, link and extract below.

"The EOS-1D X is the first Canon camera to have dual CF card slots. Performance using both slots was tested with two Lexar 1066x cards in the camera. In 30 seconds of continuous shooting, recording the same images to both cards, RAW+JPEG reached 63, RAW 93 and JPEG 198. This is slightly less than the 84, 126 and 259 shots observed when recording only to one card. Setting the camera to record separately (RAW to one card and JPEG to the other) yielded 87 shots versus 84 when recording both RAW+JPEG to one card." See link below

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-1d-x/fastest-cf-cards/

When I grew up there was a saying that a bad workman blames his tools and a good workman knows which is the right tool for the job. You might be a good photographer, I don;t know as I've not looked at your website, but as a professional you aren't very inspiring with the attitude shown. When your clients point out issues with things you would like to do, do you listen to them and take their advice, opinion and knowledge on board and recognise that they might know more than you or have described that what you want doesn't actually exist anywhere in the world from any manufacturer? If so how long do they typically stay as clients?

I assume you're ignoring my posts #312 and #319 as they don't tell you what you think the answer should be. Nikon haven't implemented your wish. The D850 and D500 have 2 different speed cards and the D5 with 2 of the fastest card slot currently available gets a slower write rate in backup mode than in single slot mode- in your approach the D5 is gimped because you have to choose between fastest throughput for images or backup mode.

Even the 1DX ( I cant find info on a 1DX2) with 2 CF slots suffers the same issue, link and extract below.

"The EOS-1D X is the first Canon camera to have dual CF card slots. Performance using both slots was tested with two Lexar 1066x cards in the camera. In 30 seconds of continuous shooting, recording the same images to both cards, RAW+JPEG reached 63, RAW 93 and JPEG 198. This is slightly less than the 84, 126 and 259 shots observed when recording only to one card. Setting the camera to record separately (RAW to one card and JPEG to the other) yielded 87 shots versus 84 when recording both RAW+JPEG to one card." See link below

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-1d-x/fastest-cf-cards/

When I grew up there was a saying that a bad workman blames his tools and a good workman knows which is the right tool for the job. You might be a good photographer, I don;t know as I've not looked at your website, but as a professional you aren't very inspiring with the attitude shown. When your clients point out issues with things you would like to do, do you listen to them and take their advice, opinion and knowledge on board and recognise that they might know more than you or have described that what you want doesn't actually exist anywhere in the world from any manufacturer? If so how long do they typically stay as clients?

I didn't ignore you, I just didn't quote you….I talked about this last night when I said "so in which case Nikon is doing it wrong?"

I have NEVER blame the tools, I have never said I missed any photos due to it. If you read back the whole 10 pages, you will see I never said I hated the camera or the tools.

However, I want more, I want that ever close to perfection. Is that wrong?

Last edited:
Nope, you just posted that's what you said last night

You're not addressing my point. I assert that having one fast slot and one slower slot is actually good design.

Ergo, 2 fast card slots is bad design.

and when I asked….

3NiPo6f.png

Then what's the problem that needs fixed in the next release of the CAnon 5D?

Like I said, I want better. I am happy with what got now today, tomorrow I want better, I want to be better, I want to learn more and I want my photos to be better.

That's how we become better photographers, and I want the tools to grow with me.

Ergo, 2 fast card slots is bad design.

and when I asked….

I'm not asking what other people think, I'm asking what you think.

I've posted showing reference to camera manufacturers top cameras, flagship pro cameras, none of which can write to 2 same speed slots in backup mode at the same rate they can write to a single slot. I've explained it's a pro's choice for any given situation which mode they use the second slot for if at all. The writing to the cards is limited by technology and the laws of physics. It's not good design or bad design to have different slot speeds they're design choices and a good professional will decide how to use his tools properly in different situations having chosen the appropriate tools for the job at the outset, knowing the limitations and constraints as well as the abilities of said tools. You've just said that despite your perceived gimping of the 5D4 by Canon and presumably the 5D3 et al, you've NEVER missed a shot. because of it. What will a gimped version of two slots of the same speed in a 5D5 do that 2 slots of different speeds do better if you've NEVER missed a shot?

I'm not asking what other people think, I'm asking what you think.

I've posted showing reference to camera manufacturers top cameras, flagship pro cameras, none of which can write to 2 same speed slots in backup mode at the same rate they can write to a single slot. I've explained it's a pro's choice for any given situation which mode they use the second slot for if at all. The writing to the cards is limited by technology and the laws of physics. It's not good design or bad design to have different slot speeds they're design choices and a good professional will decide how to use his tools properly in different situations having chosen the appropriate tools for the job at the outset, knowing the limitations and constraints as well as the abilities of said tools. You've just said that despite your perceived gimping of the 5D4 by Canon and presumably the 5D3 et al, you've NEVER missed a shot. because of it. What will a gimped version of two slots of the same speed in a 5D5 do that 2 slots of different speeds do better if you've NEVER missed a shot?

No, I don't think Nikon is doing it wrong, because even with the buffer bottle neck, at least I know with 2 fast card slots, the card slots won't be the bottle neck. The idea is not to even have any kind of shooting cap whatsoever and the image will flow from shooting to card endlessly. That's the dream…..but if you imagine that is the goal, then having 2 card slots that is fast is a must, other areas being the bottleneck…that's for another thread.

One problem at a time, but Nikon and Fuji seems to be doing that at least, if then the bottle neck becomes the buffer or the CPU, then upgrade those? I think we've hit a point now where megapixel war has plateaued so we should be catching up the amount of photos we can shoot before we hit that limit. The 5D2 to 5D4 the pixel increased by 50% in 10 years. The A9 and A7III have settled at 25mp thereabouts so file size are not getting better.

Blimey Keith ...................I got bollocked for saying this earlier in the thread: (It was after some posts I had made having a 'dig' and trying to put some humour into it.)

Fraser Euan White said:
" I'm just trying to get you to wake up and smell the coffee"

I know the pro threads round here can get a bit blunt, but I’ve never read a bunch of rude personal attacks on someone for no good reason.
Your posts over the last week don’t paint you in a particularly good light, I’m sure they’re not really reflective of your attitude. You might want to have a think :).

P.S. I have since apologised to Raymond for my posts that were, in hindsight a bit rude.

Last edited:
Blimey Keith ...................I got bollocked for saying this earlier in the thread: (It was after some posts I had made having a 'dig' and trying to put some humour into it.)

P.S. I have since apologised to Raymond for my posts that were, in hindsight a bit rude.

That he has and I appreciate it, it takes a real man to apologise and for that he has my respect. :)

That's how we become better photographers, and I want the tools to grow with me.

Nope. Better as you appear to define it is available to you today but you dont want better today you want to whinge about better tomorrow and how the camera is only currently 99% perfect as it is. You don't actually define what the missing 1% would do for you as you NEVER miss a shot.

I would suggest that it's likely the specs on a 5D4 would last you the rest of your life perfectly functionally if the camera remained serviceable. It's NEVER currently missed you a shot despite it's apparent limitations and I suspect that there's a lot more room for you to grow into being a better photographer with the 5D4 than there is in the 5D4 holding you back from being a better photographer.

Is this a case of buyers regret? Despite NEVER having missed a shot with it, it's not good enough for the perfectionist in me, perhaps I should have bought some other tool? Maybe even a case of transference- I've got my signature Chuck Berry duck walk confetti shot pretty much nailed now at every wedding but it's not floating my boat (or my clients boat?), maybe I'm in a rut caused by my camera and it's the lack of 2 card slots of the same speed that's doing it?

I'm not having a dig when I say these as possible causes, these things happen to us all- they're well recorded as buyers regret and losing your mojo about something that was once great for you and seeking the next big thing to get it back.

It's been shown by a number of us on here that the backup slot is technology limited not manufacturer limited but you won't define a satisfactory end game other than you want 2 slots of the same speed in some future camera even if they can't write as fast as a single slot and will remain 'gimped'. You'll take 2 UHS-I slots in principle but them being different and faster than this is a no-no.

We don't become better photographers by wishing different features on our cameras- if that was the case then I'd be wishing for a camera sensor that only took perfect photos when the light was exactly how I imagined it with the exact focus lock and depth of field I needed to suit the shot and the shutter speed did what I needed to freeze or blur along with the composition being perfect. But then again that's a photographer I've just defined, not a camera. Explain to me how 2 same speed card slots will make you a better photographer and improve your creative composition, understanding of light and make it easier to choose the right shutter speed, iso and aperture along with what and where to focus.

Nope. Better as you appear to define it is available to you today but you dont want better today you want to whinge about better tomorrow and how the camera is only currently 99% perfect as it is. You don't actually define what the missing 1% would do for you as you NEVER miss a shot.

I would suggest that it's likely the specs on a 5D4 would last you the rest of your life perfectly functionally if the camera remained serviceable. It's NEVER currently missed you a shot despite it's apparent limitations and I suspect that there's a lot more room for you to grow into being a better photographer with the 5D4 than there is in the 5D4 holding you back from being a better photographer.

Is this a case of buyers regret? Despite NEVER having missed a shot with it, it's not good enough for the perfectionist in me, perhaps I should have bought some other tool? Maybe even a case of transference- I've got my signature Chuck Berry duck walk confetti shot pretty much nailed now at every wedding but it's not floating my boat (or my clients boat?), maybe I'm in a rut caused by my camera and it's the lack of 2 card slots of the same speed that's doing it?

I'm not having a dig when I say these as possible causes, these things happen to us all- they're well recorded as buyers regret and losing your mojo about something that was once great for you and seeking the next big thing to get it back.

It's been shown by a number of us on here that the backup slot is technology limited not manufacturer limited but you won't define a satisfactory end game other than you want 2 slots of the same speed in some future camera even if they can't write as fast as a single slot and will remain 'gimped'. You'll take 2 UHS-I slots in principle but them being different and faster than this is a no-no.

We don't become better photographers by wishing different features on our cameras- if that was the case then I'd be wishing for a camera sensor that only took perfect photos when the light was exactly how I imagined it with the exact focus lock and depth of field I needed to suit the shot and the shutter speed did what I needed to freeze or blur along with the composition being perfect. But then again that's a photographer I've just defined, not a camera. Explain to me how 2 same speed card slots will make you a better photographer and improve your creative composition, understanding of light and make it easier to choose the right shutter speed, iso and aperture along with what and where to focus.

What bugs me is hitting that buffer, which takes about 3 seconds.

For my needs, if it can be 20 or 30 seconds, that'd be perfect….of course, if i find something that needs 31 seconds, I'll come back and rant about it :p

I don't have any regret with the 5D4, outside that 1 shot, I love it, but when it hits that buffer, I am like "ARGH!". I wouldn't change it for anything else, hence I want Canon to improve this aspect for the future. That's all there is to it.

Last edited:
No, I don’t think Nikon are doing it wrong, because even with the buffer bottleneck, at least I know with 2 fast card slots, the card slots won't be the bottle neck.
But only the Nikon D5 has two of the same XQD cards. The Nikon D850 and D500 have cards that are different types and in reality different maximum speeds (see https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d500/sd-and-xqd-card-speed-test/). The second SD UHS-II card slot is still slower (nearly half the write speed of the XQD on a D500) than the XQD so won’t have fully solved the issue you were talking about in the OP as there will still be that potential bottle neck when writing to two cards in backup, but they are faster than the current CF/SD combo. Nikon are using faster cards but in reality there is still that discrepancy between the maximum write speeds that doesn’t solve your initial problem.

Last edited:
But only the Nikon D5 has two of the same XQD cards. The Nikon D850 and D500 have cards that are different types and in reality different maximum speeds (see https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d500/sd-and-xqd-card-speed-test/). The second SD UHS-II card slot is still slower (nearly half the write speed of the XQD on a D500) than the XQD so won’t have fully solved the issue you were talking about in the OP as there will still be that potential bottle neck when writing to two cards in backup, but they are faster than the current CF/SD combo. Nikon are using faster cards but in reality there is still that discrepancy between the maximum write speeds that doesn’t solve your initial problem.

Part of my gripe is the slower UHS-1 slot but the other part is the lack of real improvement between 5D3 and 5D4 in this respect. Much like the AF between 5D1 and 5D2 remained largely the same.

Last edited:
it takes a real man to apologise and for that he has my respect. :)

I'm waiting ... man up

i don't see why anyone would apologise to you, but you talk with this kind of uppity tone to everyone else. So be a man, and apologise for calling my post rubbish, I've got time.

God forbid a bit a humour! :D

This isn't the first time I've seen OP stir up drama over nothing, don't see why you would apologise at all.

Last edited:
I'm waiting ...

i don't see why anyone would apologise to you, but you talk with this kind of uppity tone to everyone else. So be a man, and apologise for calling my post rubbish, I've got time.

Your post regarding not shooting back up for a job is rubbish. Your thinking that it has as much chance as winning the lottery is rubbish.

Card failures happen, I've had one let go suddenly and one give warning signs and errors then let go.

Not using the dual write feature in my experience would be an act of utter stupidity and such a person wouldn't be doing their job properly.

I've had about 3 or 4 cards fail on me throughout my career.

I've even had a situation where the camera died, and it turned out to be the card pulling the camera down. It would not power up with that specific card.

Why would you not take advantage of a dual card setup?

Noticed the other day that I have over 2 million images backed up during that time I have had 4 card failures. All 4 where genuine Sandisk cards which they replaced.

I also back up to a second card and while it’s only been an issue 4 times, for me that’s enough to keep on doing it.

There are a lot of lottery winners.

God forbid a bit a humour! :D

This isn't the first time I've seen OP stir up drama over nothing, don't see why you would apologise at all.

What drama? link?

As for this thread? You call this drama? Narh…...

Losing a memory card which has wedding photos on, that's drama. This is just a thread.

I don't remember specifics, but your name rings many bells. Name 5 people who've had serious SD card failures during paid sessions .... I bet I can name more than 5 lotto winners [didn't say Jackpot] ... nothing rubbish about it.

What was really, genuinely rubbish, was your parachute 'metaphor' :rolleyes: seriously, when i said get a grip, I meant it. A failed card, if it ever was to happen, is no matter of life and death. You should be more than sufficiently prepared for such occurrences. If one card fails, 2 can in the same camera. What then? That's rhetorical, i don't care what your answer is, never have, i didn't even address or quote you when I first posted until that daft parachute post.

Last edited:
Back