The Space and Astronomy Thread

Last Sunday’s episode of Cosmos: Possible Worlds had a section on quantum entanglement. OMG what a mindf*** that is!

Just a reminder that there will be a second attempt tonight to launch the Crew Dragon Demo 2 flight.

Reactions: mex
I was watching it on CNN. Can’t believe I didn’t see the video of the first stage landing back on the recovery ship.

First stage landing on the deck of the ship was amazing. Watched it via NASA on Twitch.

We stood out in the garden and saw both! Brilliant.

I was watching it on CNN. Can’t believe I didn’t see the video of the first stage landing back on the recovery ship.

If you find this video on the tube or somewhere could you post a link. i would love to see it.

Reactions: mex
It's crazy to think a rocket could land on such a small platform at sea. How things have progressed over the past few years. I watched the docking today. Glad everything went well any they arrived safely. It did then turn into a big propaganda show for the USA sadly. A felt for the two Cosmonauts sat there when this was all going on, having to just keep smiling. No thankyou to them for getting the us up here for the past 9 years. A big kick in the teath.

I love the names that SpaceX have given their drone ships:
  • Just Read the Instructions
  • Of Course I Still Love You
  • A Shortfall of Gravitas
For those who don't know, they're a homage to the Culture novels by Iain M Banks.

I love the names that SpaceX have given their drone ships:
  • Just Read the Instructions
  • Of Course I Still Love You
  • A Shortfall of Gravitas
For those who don't know, they're a homage to the Culture novels by Iain M Banks.

Sorry to take this off OT - but are you still working @StewartR ??? I've sent you a PM re hiring a lens and an email to your business too without reply ???

Cheers

Dave

A new study suggests that the number of habitable exoplanets within the Milky Way alone may reach 60 billion.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/103379...-way-alone-astronomers-say-yes/#ixzz2YZcqpliy

Sorry to sound horrible but one thing i don't like about our current state of affairs:

- Wishful thinking like this (60 billion habitable - really? Based on any believable evidence?)
- Underachievement (we're still cooing over Yuri Gagarin? And in awe of the ISS? Sure these are all wonders but it's all baby steps on the cosmic scale)

I don't want to die on Earth so i do hope we achieve warp drive and somewhere to go to that's actually better than Antarctica on a nasty day or living inside an erupting radioactive volcano.

Sorry to sound horrible but one thing i don't like about our current state of affairs:

- Wishful thinking like this (60 billion habitable - really? Based on any believable evidence?)
- Underachievement (we're still cooing over Yuri Gagarin? And in awe of the ISS? Sure these are all wonders but it's all baby steps on the cosmic scale)

I don't want to die on Earth so i do hope we achieve warp drive and somewhere to go to that's actually better than Antarctica on a nasty day or living inside an erupting radioactive volcano.
After 2020 it would be good to get away from all the Earth crap that is going on at the moment.

Although the Aliens won't want humans messing up the rest of the universe. They be like "stay home. Haven't you guys got lockdown or something? Don't spread your nasty virus and politics here." after they'd successfully hidden from us all this time.

Heads up. The new serialisation of The Right Stuff starts on Friday on Disney+.

I hope they treat Virgil Grissom better than the film version did.

Curiosity takes a selfie - a cracking shot, well a composite shot really but still excellent.

Dave

Blue Skies (

A heads up for a great conjunction.

Jupiter and Saturn will appear closer together in the sky than at any time since 1623.

Full info here - https://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20201221_15_100

Unfortunately they will not be very high above the south western horizon(only 12 degrees from London), but worth having a look if you have a decently clear horizon. The info suggest they will be close enough to fit in the field of view of a telescope and definitely of binoculars.

One of the theories about the Star of Bethlehem is a conjunction, or conjunctions, of Jupiter and Saturn,

Dave

Just watched it live, best thing I've watched for while, brilliant effort and great that they live streamed it.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Back