The Space and Astronomy Thread

Did Musk say the first flight would be in two weeks? Seems optimistic but fingers crossed :)

Celia Payne -

Cecilia Payne’s mother refused to spend money on her college education, so she won a scholarship to Cambridge.
Cecilia Payne completed her studies, but Cambridge wouldn’t give her a degree because she was a woman, so she said to heck with that and moved to the United States to work at Harvard.
Cecilia Payne was the first person ever to earn a Ph.D. in astronomy from Radcliffe College, with what Otto Strauve called “the most brilliant Ph.D. thesis ever written in astronomy.”
Not only did Cecilia Payne discover what the universe is made of, she also discovered what the sun is made of (Henry Norris Russell, a fellow astronomer, is usually given credit for discovering that the sun’s composition is different from the Earth’s, but he came to his conclusions four years later than Payne—after telling her not to publish).
Cecilia Payne is the reason we know basically anything about variable stars (stars whose brightness as seen from earth fluctuates). Literally every other study on variable stars is based on her work.
Cecilia Payne was the first woman to be promoted to full professor from within Harvard, and is often credited with breaking the glass ceiling for women in the Harvard science department and in astronomy, as well as inspiring entire generations of women to take up science.
Cecilia Payne is awesome and everyone should know her.

View: https://www.facebook.com/TheCountryLady51/posts/318046559682407

Celia Payne -

Cecilia Payne’s mother refused to spend money on her college education, so she won a scholarship to Cambridge.
Cecilia Payne completed her studies, but Cambridge wouldn’t give her a degree because she was a woman, so she said to heck with that and moved to the United States to work at Harvard.
Cecilia Payne was the first person ever to earn a Ph.D. in astronomy from Radcliffe College, with what Otto Strauve called “the most brilliant Ph.D. thesis ever written in astronomy.”
Not only did Cecilia Payne discover what the universe is made of, she also discovered what the sun is made of (Henry Norris Russell, a fellow astronomer, is usually given credit for discovering that the sun’s composition is different from the Earth’s, but he came to his conclusions four years later than Payne—after telling her not to publish).
Cecilia Payne is the reason we know basically anything about variable stars (stars whose brightness as seen from earth fluctuates). Literally every other study on variable stars is based on her work.
Cecilia Payne was the first woman to be promoted to full professor from within Harvard, and is often credited with breaking the glass ceiling for women in the Harvard science department and in astronomy, as well as inspiring entire generations of women to take up science.
Cecilia Payne is awesome and everyone should know her.

View: https://www.facebook.com/TheCountryLady51/posts/318046559682407
Though perhaps not on the same scale as her, the NASA space programme would not have been as progressive & successful without the cadre of female mathematicians (including African Americans) who were key to 'making it happen'.

But have only in the past 5 years have they been officially recognised and spoken about.

Last edited:
I see William Shatner is going to do a sub orbital hop on Jeff Bezos’ rocket machine next week.

All ahead warp factor 1, he's got to say it!

Jupiter mission Lucy

I don't think this has been mentioned on here. I heard an astrophysicist talking about it on Radio 4 a couple of days ago. It was successfully launched yesterday. I never fail to be impressed with the sheer enthusiasm scientists like her talk about these missions and for me tops is Maggie Aderin-Pocock (MBE). She lives it and crucially, her enthusiasm is contagious. I think this project/missionis fantastic and unless it's a manned mission to the moon or next..Mars, most times it goes unnoticed by the general population.

First image from the JW Telescopeenppk11y8y781.jpg

Apologies to Kendo1 who posted it first in the joke thread. :)

There was a thread on the JWST but I don't see it since I last posted in it...(a reply to AF) Shouldn't it have been in here ?

Here's a link to a NASA website that shows the progress,in real time, of the mission. Maybe this post will be moved to the other thread for continuity.

It is nearly that time of year again.

The Council for the Protection of Rural England(CPRE) are asking people to count stars.

It is to do with the effect of light pollution on how we see the night sky.

Although the name of the organisation suggests England only, they would like info from anywhere in the UK.

Link to signing up -

Dave

Orion's belt - a waist of space? ;)

The launch and progress went so well that NASA have said that the fuel burn was minimal and it will allow it to operate for twice the 10 years anticipated . It's been a resounding success.

SN20 stacked and the man who fell to earth makes an announcement later today .... ;)

Last edited:
I’m massively excited about the launch of Artemis 1 later this month. This first flight of the SLS will show us the rocket that will take mankind back to the moon.
I really wish it was painted like the Saturn V as it was in the early renders.
It’s going to be spectacular.

I am watching NASA TV the Firestick.

Caught it part way through the commentary about the "tanking" and now no audio ..... afteral unlike 'normal' TV where the commentators appear to be paid by the word, there is obviously not a lot to say!

A few minutes ago they showed a view from a public viewing area and in the shot was one of those big matrix screens showing a (countdown) clock set at 40minutes.

Edit ~ unplanned hold at T minus 40 minutes with an issue with the hydrogen line on one engine!

Last edited:
View: https://BANNED/nadiamdrake/status/1565712880602730497?s=21&t=raNgknjIVaLUMOw61DDlSg

View: https://BANNED/michaelgalanin/status/1566471435295539202?s=46&t=_3a2vdNs72NsKMZFdJm67g

Jupiter will be closer to Earth than it has been for over 50 years. It won't be this close again for another 100 years!
So tonight is your chance of a lifetime to take its picture.

OK, there will be clouds but for many, there will be big gaps in the clouds and clear skies between them with lots of chances to capture Jupiter and its moons.

Fortunately, due to the Earth - Jupiter distance, it moves slowly in the night sky and will be still easily visible for a few months.

Dave

Well, it would be if it wasn't hidden behind the trees in our back garden!!!

Nod's law also dictated that the X-H1 battery was flat so when I went out to get a shot, it died... :(

Back