The Space and Astronomy Thread

For those that like a bit of space fiction, series 2 of the alternate history space race drama For All Mankind, started today on Apple TV+.

I thought the panel fixed to the robot of a serpent and staff holding up the earth as a tribute to the perseverance of all medical staff during the pandemic a touching tribute.

Success. Well done SpaceX. That was very impressive!

Well, until it went boom.

Last edited:
SN11 had some kind of catastrophic failure on approach to the landing pad earlier. Hard to say what happened because the place was very foggy.

This was a fascinating read. I've long wondered if what,hitherto, cannot be explained is because of laws of physics in deep space we're not aware of. The article I originally read re so-called 'beauty quarks' is behind a pay wall but I found this one in the link dated March 23rd.As stated in the article, in the link, the findings have yet to be peer-reviewed but there's great optimism it hasn't been chance.

Here is the article I read. It maybe be better to read this first as it's more of an overview before going to the link which is more detailed.

Deep underground in Switzerland, the beauty quarks are not behaving as they should. In the tunnels of Cern, these tiny particles exist for just an instant before decaying into other particles — electrons or muons.

But for every 100 electron decays, physicists have found there are 85 muon decays. In that tiny discrepancy may lie a clue to the greatest puzzle in particle physics: the fact that its central theory is wrong.

What scientists at the European particle physics laboratory have discovered is new physics unless they aren't sheer randon chance. One of the jobs of the Large Hadron Collider particle accelerator has been to explore physics beyond what is known as the Standard Model which successfully describes the atomic world but is completely incompatible with general relativity,which describes the larger world..It also cannot explain dark matter, the mysterious substance that makes up much of the Universe, or where matter comes from. Despite its poweful predictive abilities the standard model must be wrong. The latest findings are exciting because, according to the Standard Model, a beauty quark has just as much chance of decaying into a muon as an electron. If that doesn't happen then something else is going on. .

Dr.Paul Alvarez Cartelle of Cambridge University, one of the leaders of the team that found the result said.. "The forces of nature we know of are not able to explain this ..if indeed the effect is real ..it means there is a new force of nature that comes with a new range of particles":

Whilst physicists say there is only 1 in a 1000 probability the findings happened by chance that does not meet the standard they rely on to claim a discovery,especially one of such significance. Dr Cartelle said " We know the Standard Model cannot be the whole story. There are big questioins it cannot give us answres to. What we do is test it in specific situations and find a crack"

Last edited:
Well there is air there, just not very much of it.

I can’t believe how quickly SpaceX are doing the Starship test flights. SN15 will fly tomorrow.

Even if I used a space elevator, that would be over my head!

Quite amazing!

Impressive (y)

So they've managed to spend less time in space than Yuri Gagarin did in 1961, 60 years ago ... that's progress :exit:

I think the technological advances far outweigh the physical time spent in space.

Four civilians there and back without needing to press a button or pull a lever?

Incredible.

Back