The TP Cook Book

Just made a quick and lazy curried Winter Veg Soup which turned out pretty tasty.

5 Carrots
1 small Swede
1 small onion
1 parsnip
(all of above cme in a tesco seasonal veg pack for £1.50 :))
1 handful of split lentils
1 litre Vegetable Stock
1 handful Sultanas
3 table spoons of medium curry powder

Grate all veg and add to a pan with the stock and curry powder.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 mins until all veg is soft and stock has reduced a little.
Throw in a handful of lentils and the sultanas (some people prefer to soak first, I let the stock do the job)
Simmer until lentils are soft

Season to taste, add more curry powder if required.
Blend to your preferred consistency, or leave rustic as it is.

This will be left over night ready for tomorrow evening.

Not really a recipe as such but its a nice change to sausage and onion gravy.

Creamy honey mustard gravy
Make up half a pint of instant gravy but use milk not water.
1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
half to 1 teaspoons of honey.

I had some veg which needed to be used up last night along with some sausage.

I used

1pk 8 sausages (beef sausages are very nice if you havn't tried them)
4 Parsnips
4 or 5 Carrots
1 and a half courgettes.
Some rashers of bacon

I grated all the veg up, and fried it for a few minutes.
The sausages and bacon were fried for around 5 minutes.
I mixed everything together and stirred in to jar of honey and mustard sauce, popped in the oven and cooked for around 30 minutes ish at around gas mark 6.

This made a lovely meal and we had cranberry sauce with it, which surprisingly went well with the flavours of the sauce. This also did 5 adults and my daughter.

Ok, as promised Carrot & Coriander Soup

This is for 4 people

Ingredients:

1 red chilli (finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 red onion (finely chopped)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
6 rashers of streaky bacon (chopped)
6 Carrots (peeled and chopped into approximately 1/2 inch pieces)
1 Large Leek (sliced)
1 litre of chicken stock
Handful of fresh coriander

Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan. Add the cumin, garlic, chilli, bacon and onions and cook until the onions are softened and the bacon cooked. Add the leeks and carrots and stir in. Turn the heat down low, cover and leave the vegetables to sweat for 10 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the roughly chopped coriander. Stir and add the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and liquidize using a hand blender.

Serve with crusty bread ad a large glass of red wine.

The last time I made this, Sue had bought a large sack of carrots for the horse from an animal feed store, for £1. They may not have looked as pristine and perfectly shaped carrots you get from the supermarket, but they were absolutely fine for cooking with. So there you go, today's money saving tip, buy a horse! :D

The day after boxing day leftover pie

You could have it on boxing day if you wish, we’re are eating chips that day!

Apart from the leeks, the rest you will probably have in the house leftover. This pie is lush so make sure there is some leftovers!
Make or buy pastry puff or shortcrust. I make my own shortcrust and its in the fridge ready. I like paster base and top but whatever you prefer.

The filling
• 2 tbsp butter
• 1 large onion , finely chopped
• 3 leeks , finely sliced
• 2 large potatoes , cut into small cubes
• 2 tbsp plain flour , plus extra for dusting
• 300ml chicken, turkey or ham stock
• 100ml leftover double cream
• 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
• 200g leftover ham , shredded or diced
• 200g leftover Turkey shredded or diced (I don’t like the taste of reheated poultry so I double up on the ham. You could try some leftover sausage meat stuffing if you like)

Heat a large frying pan, melt the butter, then add the onion and leeks. Cover, then very gently cook for 15 mins until soft. Add the potatoes after 5 mins cooking.
Stir in the flour, turn up the heat, then add the stock, stirring until the mix thickens a little. Take off the heat, then stir in the cream, mustard and meat. Season to taste, then cool

Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.

Assemble and bake for 30-40 mins until golden

Don’t forget to grease the dish and egg wash.

Last edited:
250ml/9fl oz single cream
1x 397g/14oz tin condensed milk
350ml/12fl oz Irish whiskey
1 tsp Camp coffee essence
3 tsp chocolate sauce
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp almond essence

Sterilise the bottles for the liqueur: wash in very hot water or on the hot cycle of a dishwasher. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Place the bottles on a baking tray and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Leave to cool.
Pour all the ingredients into a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Add extra Camp or chocolate to taste.
Pour into sterilised bottles and store in the fridge. (The liqueur will keep for up to two months.) Shake well before using.

Ooooh, must try this, never done it before although I'm a bit of a whizz at the old limoncello now :D

Posh Doner kebab

Where does kylie minogue get her kebabs from? Jasons Doner van!

Right less of the bad jokes and on to the recipe. Its not even a doner kebab but inspired by.

Marinate the hard way
1 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of cinamon
1/2 teaspoon of dried ginger
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
Small handful of fresh mint
a drizzle of honey
1-1.25kg boneless shoulder of lamb

1. Cut the red onion into quarters and add them to a food processor. 2. Add the garlic, mint and all the dry ingredients into the food processor and blitz until it becomes a rough paste. 3. Add the olive oil and the worcestershire sauce and the blitz a little bit more to mix well. 4. Spoon out the paste onto a chopping board or large plate. 5. Score the outside of the lamb. 6. Get the lamb and roll it into the paste rubbing it in all over the meat. 7. Put the lamb in a roasting tin drizzle some honey and set the oven to 220℃. 8. Cook the lamb for 20 minutes and then turn the oven down to 150℃. 9. Cook for a further 1 hour at 150℃. 10. Remove the meat from the roasting tin and place somewhere warm to rest, Then shred.

Serve with
Flat bread
crisp salad
sliced red onion
olives
pickled chilli's
hummus
minted yoghurt
cous cous
hot chilli sauce

If you can't be bothered making the marinate just use harrisa paste and honey.

Last edited:
350ml/12fl oz Irish whiskey
3 tsp chocolate sauce
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp almond essence

Sterilise the bottles for the liqueur: wash in very hot water or on the hot cycle of a dishwasher. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Place the bottles on a baking tray and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Leave to cool.
Pour all the ingredients into a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Add extra Camp or chocolate to taste.
Pour into sterilised bottles and store in the fridge. (The liqueur will keep for up to two months.) Shake well before using.

Sounds interesting - certainly better than the "BSM aged 16 patent recipe" which went something along the lines of

Sit in the shelter down the rec with some unsalubrious mates

Take a bottle of whisky (type is unimportant as you'll be limited by what you can steal from your parents cocktail cabinet) tip half the whisky into a milk bottle

add 250ml of single cream

watch as the mixture curdles while thinking "bugger that never happens on the baileys ads"

Try to drink it anyway

realise that this is an incredibly bad idea and throw up in a conveniently placed litter bin

Drink the rest of the whisky neat

Fall over several times on the way home then collapse on your parents kitchen floor

Get grounded for 6 months.

On balance I think i much prefer your recipe ;) :LOL:

Thank god i found this thread maybe now i can revive my cooking skills!:D

350ml/24fl oz Irish whiskey
3 tsp chocolate sauce
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp almond essence

Sterilise the bottles for the liqueur: wash in very hot water or on the hot cycle of a dishwasher.Check quality of whiskey, 3 oz. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3. Place the bottles on a baking tray and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Check quatly of wisky. Leave to cool.
Pour all the ingredients into a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Cheque whisking. Add extra Camp or chocolate to taste. Check where whickes is.
Pour into sterilised bottles and store in the fridge. Tes wispk agagain. Sen somwun owt fer more whecksy... (The liqueur will keep for up to two months.) Test regliery for 2 months then buy a bokkle of Lidl's own brand and relabel...

There you go Terri, customised for the real world!

Tasdainsbury's own bran'll do! Nodas cheap az the Aldidl stuff though!

One of my regulars that I'm making tonight so thought i would put it up here. Its so easy and a good hearty winter warmer.

Beef n Guinness stew

2-3 large onions
1 garlic
1kg braising steak
seasoned flour
tyme
sugar
parsley

If you have a casserole pot that can go on the hob fry straight in there otherwise fry 2 onions in the pan for 10mins add the garlic in for a few min's at the end. Empty into casserole dish. Dice the beef then cover in salt & pepper seasoned flour then then brown off in the pan, then add to casserole dish. cover with a can of Guinness if its not covering top up with water. Sprinkle in a beef stock cube a pinch of thyme and a tea spoon of sugar. Lid on and cook in an oven for about 3hr on 150c until the meat falls apart. Once out of the oven cover the top with fresh parsley.

No veggies in that casserole robert? Id bung in some spuds and carrots I think :)

Probably work well in a slow cooker too.

It must be casserole weather, we've just made a nice casserole last night using local butchers sausages.

a dozen or so Sausages chopped in half
half a dozen small potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
(each piece about the size of a golf ball)
4 Carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch lengths
2 Parsnips cut into 1" lengths (remove woody centre if required)
2 small onions quartered
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
and a pint of rich gravy/stock (we opted for a thick pint of bisto)

All whacked into a casserole pot with a lid and a bit of seasoning.
Then cooked in the oven at 170 or so, for 2.5 hours.

Ladled out into bowls with a wedge of crispy loaf. By no means fine dining, but perfect comfort food for a wintry night, and plenty left over for tonight too ;)

No veggies in that casserole robert? Id bung in some spuds and carrots I think :)

Probably work well in a slow cooker too.

I like it with mixed root veg mash on the side. carrot, parsnip, sweet potato and white potato lovely. I've tried it in the slow cooker but it doesn't seem to thicken enough for my liking.

I like it with mixed root veg mash on the side. carrot, parsnip, sweet potato and white potato lovely. I've tried it in the slow cooker but it doesn't seem to thicken enough for my liking.

Fair point.

Had a very satisfying lamb stew this evening

Serves 4

2 pounds lamb leg, cubed
1 large onion, sliced
6 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
2 large carrots, slice in 1/2 inch pieces
1 large potato, cubed to roughly the same slice as the lamb
Plain flour, enough to coat the lamb pieces
1 tbspn butter
1 tbspn olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
A good sprig of Rosemary, chopped
1 litre of stock (I actually used a lamb Oxo cube)
Salt & pepper to taste

Coat the lamb cubes with the flour and season. In a large lidded pan, heat the oil and butter and brown the meat. Remove the meat from the pan and keep to one side. Add another tbspn of oil to the pan if necessary and add the garlic and onions. Cook the onions until softened and add the bacon.

In the meantime, put the carrots and potato into a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Once the water is boiling, remove from the heat and drain.

Once the bacon is cooked, return the meat to the pan along with the vegetables. add the rosemary and seasoning to taste. Add 2/3rds of the stock, cover the pan and turn the heat down low.

Cook for two and a half hours. Check every half an hour and add more of the stock if necessary.

Serve with crusty bread and a full bodied red wine.

Had a very satisfying lamb stew this evening

Must be nice to have money! Good recipe though.

Ok, Q for all, I have a jar of madras paste languishing in my cupboard. How do I go about making a curry using it can anyone tell me? Obviously Im gonna need diced chicked or something but do I need anything else?

Thanks

Must be nice to have money! Good recipe though.

Not sure what was particularly expensive about it. :thinking:

Ok, Q for all, I have a jar of madras paste languishing in my cupboard. How do I go about making a curry using it can anyone tell me? Obviously Im gonna need diced chicked or something but do I need anything else?

Thanks

Fry some onions, add some diced chicken and the paste and make sure the chicken is cooked. Add some coconut milk and simmer until the consistency is right.

Eat. :D

Not sure what was particularly expensive about it. :thinking:
Price of the lamb these days!

Fry some onions, add some diced chicken and the paste and make sure the chicken is cooked. Add some coconut milk and simmer until the consistency is right.

Eat. :D

That sounded good until I got to the coconut milk bit...:puke: Don't recall any madras's Ive eaten out having coconut milk in 'em....

So are we saying onions and chicken should do it basically? Not much of a sauce though then would there? Maybe a tin of chopped tomatoes might work?
Any advances?

Price of the lamb these days!

Was on special offer in tescos, 3 320g packs for £10. Serves 4 so not too expensive, not what I'd spend for an every day meal though.

That sounded good until I got to the coconut milk bit...:puke: Don't recall any madras's Ive eaten out having coconut milk in 'em....

So are we saying onions and chicken should do it basically? Not much of a sauce though then would there? Maybe a tin of chopped tomatoes might work?
Any advances?

Sorry, don't eat madras and don't like tomatoes so probably can't help with the sauce then. All the currys we eat have coconut milk it.

Most of the pastes (and the sauces) have recipes on the label. The joy of home cooking is experimentation! If the tomatoes don't really work, the curry will still be edible and you can try something different next time!

I usually use the ready made sauces with left over roasted meat as the fleshy component. Add an onion or 2 and some left over veg and hey, presto, something warm and filling.

Ive done a bit of googling and tomatoes seem de rigueur for a curry so I'll give it a go I think.

Spaghetti with Tuna, Lemon & Rocket

I made this last night. It’s quick and easy to make and tastes fabulous. It’s an ideal meal for during the week when you don’t have lots of time to spend in the kitchen.

Serves 2

1 x 150g tin tuna steak in olive oil (best quality you can get)
200g Spaghetti
1 x Lemon
4 x Spring Onions
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Chilli Flakes
Salt & Pepper
1 bag Rocket Leaves

Boil the spaghetti for 10 mins
While it’s boiling empty the tuna into a bowl. Add in the zest and juice of the lemon, the spring onions finely chopped, chilli flakes to taste and the salt and pepper. I find it benefits from quite a lot of salt. Add a drizzle of the olive oil and mix everything together. Drain the pasta but reserve half a cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the hot saucepan, add in the ingredients from the bowl and the reserved cooking water. Give it a good stir and plate up. Dress with a good handful of rocket leaves.

Lamb, bacon, leek, and erm other stuff soup

Take the lamb bone from a roast half leg of lamb ( I note previous comments about price but this cost 6 quid and has done 3 meals already before the soup) with the bits of meat etc still attached.

Put it in a caserole dish with a quartered onion - add sufficient lamb stock to cover the bone (this will vary depending on the size of your dish I used about 800 mil) - cover and bung in the oven for 2 hours at 150c

after two hours all the meat will have fallen off the bone and marrow and all that goodness - remove the bone (use tongs it will be hot) and bin it

Add two chopped leeks, a chopped carrot, a couple of spoons of pearl barley , and whatever else you can find in the fridge that looks good .

Fry four rashers of bacon then chop up three of them and bung them in the dish with the rest of the ingredients.

Wander round the kitchen aimlessly eating the fourth rasher of bacon smeared with philidephia (If your missus isnt currently away you may want to omit this step)

Stir everything together and top up with more stock to cover everything ( I added about another 400ml) - recover the dish and stick it back in the oven for another 45 minuites at 150c

et voila - serve with crusty bread and enjoy (this made enough for me to have two hearty helpings and still have a serving left over for lunch tommorow)

Last edited:
came across this recipe a few years ago and we use it quite a bit (or variations of).

Creamy Mushroom Sauce

700ml Stock (Chicken or Veg )
50g Butter
1 Onion, finely diced
400g Mushrooms (sliced or diced as preferred - we generally stick to button mushrooms)
300ml Dry White Wine
284ml Double Cream

Heat the butter in pan and add onion and sweat onion for 5 mins until soft, but not coloured.

Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms, then fry for 3 mins until they soften and start to smell wonderful.

Pour over the white wine, raise the heat to maximum and boil rapidly for 6-8 mins until reduced by two-thirds.

Pour Stock into the pan bring back to the boil and reduce again by two-thirds until it is thick and syrupy.

Pour in double cream, bring it to the boil, season as required.

Great poured over chicken
A little mustard powder or Wholegrain Mustard mixed in with the stock gives a nice variation too

Thank you so very much for this one just used it for dinner (turkey pie) and they cleared the plates.. loved it...:D

Back