The TP Cook Book

im a bit lost what dough do you have to wait four hours before you use?. I hope its not the chocolate brownie cookies as i fancy them now and its only ment to be 32mins till they are ready lol :D

look at it this way the best things are always worth waiting for. the long they are left in the fridge the better. but worth it.

look at it this way the best things are always worth waiting for. the long they are left in the fridge the better. but worth it.

very much worth the wait!

we used the mix in 3 batches over 4 days and the last batch were just as good as the first. strangely, a new batter will be mixed today for baking tomorrow :D

Andrew glad to hear it. please share the recipe with your friends and family. you did what i do too..

silly idea but home made cookie dough ice cream?!

Andrew glad to hear it. please share the recipe with your friends and family. you did what i do too..

silly idea but home made cookie dough ice cream?!

I will Terri, certainly a hit in our house, thanks for sharing!

now, we have an icecream maker, so...... experimentation WILL begin when I'm off work next week :D

Cold Chicken Curry / Coronation Chicken

3 ½ lb chicken (approx)

Sauce

1 tblsp clear honey
4 tblsp mixed chutney (spiced fruit chutney or similar is our preference)
2 good desert sp. Medium curry powder
scant glass white wine
1/3 pt double cream
1/2 pt mayonnaise

Method:

• Cook chicken.
  • Melt honey and add chutney and curry powder
  • Simmer for 2-3 minutes then add white wine.
  • Stir well then remove from heat to cool.
  • Beat the double cream until thick and add the mayonnaise.
  • When spice mixture is cool add the cream and mayonnaise stir well.
  • Strip the chicken and add to the mixture put in a large dish.

A firm family favourite for any get together great with rice or salad on a summers day (if you can remember what they were!)

No photo unfortunately, will take one next time I make it. (y)

Last edited:
That sounds really good! What chutney do you use? :)

That sounds really good! What chutney do you use? :)

Pretty much any spiced fruit chutney or similar.
If the chutney doesn't have a large number of sultanas in, then throw in a handful of sultanas too, they seem to hold up well to the mild curry taste while still remaining sweet.

Thanks Andrew. I'll definitely give that a go! It sounds right up my street :)

No problem Paul, hope you enjoy it. (y)

Take freshly caught octopus and batter it around the rocks a bit to help tenderise - now, I live inland a bit and well, the rocks are a bit dusty, so I tend to freeze and defrost it :) But that is how I've seen it done on the coast :LOL:

IMG_7821 by Sonriendo, on Flickr

Slice onions, and potatos, tuck a couple of laurel leaves under it's armpits and add a good slosh of beer. Into oven at 180° for about 1/2 an hour per kilo. Keep an eye on it and turn it half way through so it doesn't dry out.

IMG_7826 by Sonriendo, on Flickr

It comes out looking like this.

IMG_7828 by Sonriendo, on Flickr

Chop into pieces and serve with crusty bread

IMG_7831 by Sonriendo, on Flickr

It's also nice omitting the beer and using red wine and tomatoes.

My roast parsnips, this is one I've been doing for years but I can't remember where I got it from or how much it has been adapated over time. Everybody who has these just loves them and they are perfect with a Sunday roast.

Take some large, fat parsnips (I usually allow 1 per person), top and tail them and quarter them lengthways and if need be cut them in half if really long. Cut out the woody core (very important) and place in a pan of cold, salted water.

Place a roasting tin in a hot oven (200-220C) with 2-3 tbsp of oil in the bottom and allow to heat up.

In the meantime, make the coating:

2-3 tbsp of sifted plain flour
1 tbsp sifted mustard powder
1 tbsp of rosemary
Finely grated parmesan cheese - about 1-2 oz
Good grind of black pepper

Mix all the dry ingredients together and place in a large freezer bag. Allow the parsnips to come to the boil and simmer for about a minute, drain immediately and while still steaming place them in the freezer bag. Twist the top of the freezer bag and shake vigourously so the parsnips get a coating of the mixture.

Remove roasting tin from oven and plave over heat, place parsnips in hot oil and spoon the oil over the parsnip until they are coated. Place in oven. After about 20 minutes remove from oven, turn the parsnips over and coat with the oil again. Before placing back in the oven remove any excess oil with a spoon, this will help them to crisp up. After a further 20 minutes remove from oven and enjoy!

(y)

i Can't try sarah's as i am not allowed anything out of the sea. but the parsnips i am going to try.

mmmm the best thread on TP.

Haven't read through them all, but some good recipes on here. Colin's parsnips look good - but not read through them all yet.

right,

I hate you all. Just read through this and am starving now!!!!!!!

Mmmm those parsnips are on my to do list once it cools down enough to make a roast :)

523376_10151044896788667_1218542320_n.jpg

558549_10151044897118667_548976983_n.jpg

394198_10151044897438667_1529539428_n.jpg

561472_10151044897798667_1823240739_n.jpg

431007_10151044898108667_432529777_n.jpg

403985_10151044898438667_678061420_n.jpg

I have the recipe but it is not mine if you would like it for the normal or the lacto free i will add it tomorrow when i have made the cheese cakes from this mix.

Layla's strawberry cheese cakes ((lactose free) From the bbc web site)

562935_10151047163053667_190879420_n.jpg

260408_10151047164113667_1981926840_n.jpg

378770_10151047165123667_239434824_n.jpg

Makes 6.

50g butter
6 digestive biscuits, finely crushed

for the filling
250g tub ricotta ( i made my own)
50g icing sugar
zest 1 lemon, juice of 1/2
1 egg and 1 yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150 double cream
For the topping
2 tbsp strawberry jam, melted
3 strawberries

1. Heat the oven to 150c/130fan/gas 2 and line 6 muffin tin holes with muffin paper cases. Melt the butter and stir in the biscuits crumbs until well mixed, then press as firmly as you can into the bases of each case ( i used the end of a rolling pin) chill them while you make the filling.

2. Beat the ricotta with the sugar, lemon zest and huice, and the eggs. in another bowl, whisk the cream until it holds its shape, then fold into the cheese mixture. spoon evenly into the paper cases, then tap the tin on the work surface to flatten the filling. bake for 30 mins, then turn the oven off and allow to cool completely inside the oven.

3. to decotate, top each cheesecake with 1 tsp jam and a strawberry half.

Terri,

where did you get that thermometer......

Lynton it was a gift, i am getting a new one from lakeland they are £20.

Last edited:
Well that's what the family call them :D, if you like light fluffy cakes look away now as these are heavy and solid.

Ingredients:
100g white self raising flour
200g wholemeal bread flour (adjust the flour ratios if you want a lighter cake)
1 tea spoon baking powder
375 grams raisins
225 grams margarine/butter
4 eggs
milk

Throw all the flour, baking powder and margarine into a mixer and churn away until it is just getting lumpy.

Add the raisins - adjust the amount if you want less or substitute sultanas for some of the raisins if you want.

Crack 4 eggs in a measuring jug and beat a bit, add milk to get 400ml in total and beat a bit more, add to the mixer, churn it up again until it looks mixed.

Put the oven on at 160ish.

Spoon the mixture into those baking tray things - this makes 24 altogether.

Cook in the oven for about 25 mins, I usually give them 20 mins, take them out and swap the 2 trays around in the oven so they get cooked evenly, at that point I can decide whether to give them another 4, 5 or 6 mins.

They should look something like these:

BreadCakes.jpg

The walnut bread is another story :nuts:

Last edited:
All these recipes are for cakes or puds, whilst this is to be applauded obviously, anyone got one for a main? Anyone got one for Caesar salad for instance? The easier the better preferably.
Ive had a go using shop bought dressing, I wouldnt go to the bother of making my own, and it was pretty tasty. The croutons in a packet were a bit hard though.

All these recipes are for cakes or puds, whilst this is to be applauded obviously, anyone got one for a main? Anyone got one for Caesar salad for instance?

Keith, No Caesar Salad recipe on here yet, but posts 8,9,55,87,93 and 94 are all mains, or part of. There may be others but these are ones that came to hand easily :)

but lets be fair, we all want the fattening cakes :D

just asking your advice.......

tried to make fudge the other night....

it won't set. why?

Not cooked enough i think Lynton.. it is tricky to do but you need a sugar thermometer i would say.. and make sure it heats to the soft ball stage. i hope that helps. give it another go..

Scallops and king prawns with bacon

Just something I knocked together the other night, as I had a tin of scallops that seemed to be calling out to me. How could I refuse? Bacon seemed an obvious match, and as the tin wasn't particularly large, some prawns would help bump up the quantity.

First, I set some red rice going, given that takes around half an hour to cook.

I began by sautéeing some buna shimeji mushrooms (like a chestnut variant of enoki) along with some nonpareille capers, in the bit of scallops' sauce (a simple affair: the ingredients list declares Scallops (52%), Olive Oil (15%), Tomato, Onion, Natural Flavourings, Spices, Salt), plus a little olive oil.

After they'd both cooked well (the mushrooms had a slightly worrisome DO NOT EAT RAW note on the packaging, and I wanted the capers to be quite well done), I added two slices of maple cured smoked bacon, cut into thin strips (roughly 1/4") using scissors.

Once the red camargue rice was cooked, it was time to finish the dish off, for immediate serving on a ring of that rice.

I added several raw king prawns, and after turning those, the aforementioned scallops as well. Soon after, a little boiling water, and a sachet of instant spicy butternut squash soup, to make up the sauce.

To put the finishing touches on the flavors, a teaspoon of minced garlic, and about half that of Dijon mustard.

I'd have been delighted to have eaten that in a restaurant. ^_^ (I'll spare you the photo, though - my cooking is seldom photogenic..)

A quick hint when cooking cheeseburgers. Once the burger is nearly done, put the cheese on top, quickly splash a little water into the pan and then put a lid on top. The cheese melts nicely and it helps keep the burger moist! Obviously only works if you are cooking in a frying pan or some other thing you can cover.

Great idea Jim, Thanks, I'll try that next time I have burgers! (y)

Just discovered this thread, and I'm on a diet too.
I made a meat loaf at the weekend, something I haven't cooked for donkeys years and the kids/grandkids demolished it at a bbq. Delicious when thin cold slices ...nice when hot too. If you fancy a go here's what I used.

Serves: 8, (thinly sliced it will go a lot further).
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Ingredients:
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• 1 carrot, peeled
• 1 rib celery
• 1/2 onion
• 1/2 red pepper, seeded
• 4 white mushrooms
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 ¼ lbs pork mince
• 1 ¼ lbs beef mince
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup plain bread crumbs
• 2 tbsp brown sugar
• 2 tbsp ketchup
• 2 tbsp Dijon mustard

Preparation:
1. Cut the carrot, celery, onion, red pepper, and white mushrooms into 1-inch pieces. Add to a food processor with the garlic, and pulse on and off until the vegetables are finely minced, but not quite a puree.
2. In a saute pan, on medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the vegetable mixture and saute for about 5 minutes. The vegetables do not need to be completely cooked, as they are going to cook in the meatloaf, but we do want to give them a head start. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Preheat oven to 325º F /180º C /Gas mark 4
4. In a large bowl add the beef & pork mince, the vegetables, and all the remaining ingredients except the breadcrumbs. Mix gently with your hands, for about 1 minute to start to incorporate the ingredients. Add the breadcrumbs and mix until everything is just combined, and then STOP. Do not over-mix! Remember, we still have to form the mixture into a loaf, which requires additional handling.
5. Lightly grease the bottom of a shallow roasting pan with a few drops of olive oil. Wet your hands with cold water and form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf shape, about 6 inches wide, by about 3 to 4 inches high. Wet your hands again and smooth the surface so there are no cracks, which can cause a loss of moisture.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. While it's baking combine the brown sugar, ketchup, and Dijon mustard in a small bowl for the glaze. After 30 minutes, remove the meatloaf from oven and evenly spread the glaze over the top with a spoon. If you like, you can paint a little of the glaze on the sides, but most of it should go on the top.
7. Put back in the oven. This should take another 35 to 45 minutes. Do not over cook (40 mins gave a good result for me). Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.

Back