The TP "Official" guide to sports stadiums

Gillingham FC - Priestfield Stadium

Getting there/parking
I got the train from London to Gillingham, Station. The ground is a 10 min walk from there. Trains are either quick from London St Pancreas or London Victoria. There are slower local ones from London Bridge. Parking, dunno, but there are lots of local residential street around, so it can't be too bad.

Collecting your accreditation
The 'new' stand is on Redfern Avenue. In the corner near Linden Road is a big sign saying Coaches, Press and Media. That's where you go in. The Steward will let you thru the door and then you got thru the 2nd door on the left. Sign in at reception and then head to the press room on the 4th floor. Access to the pitch is from this room, down in the lift to the ground floor. You can sit anywhere, apart from the first two advertising boards either side of the goal. No bibs issued.

Connectivity
They have Wifi, but no idea how to connect to it. 3 connection was speedy, didn't test O2, but I would of thought it was fine.

Food/treats
Help yourself to tea/coffee and biscuits in the press room.

i'd bet on Tony having been there ;)

Sorry guys only just seen this and presume all sorted now :(

Rotherham has good parking and laods of room pitchside but its cold and open to the elements more than most

The biggest downside to rotherham current ground is its in a hole... masses of steps with all yer gear

Sorry guys only just seen this and presume all sorted now :(

Rotherham has good parking and laods of room pitchside but its cold and open to the elements more than most

The biggest downside to rotherham current ground is its in a hole... masses of steps with all yer gear

The parking was the main thing...I'll do a full review at some point.

Kingsholm???

Could one of the South West regulars give me a review of Kingsholm. Shooting Glaws v Rovigo tomorrow. Last minute assignment so had no chance to ask the questions.... Parking, shooting locations, and wifi standard are the main queries.

cheers guys

Rogan,

Sorry, I didn't get your PM and this message till this afternoon as I was straight out this morning to the football...

Hope you got it all sorted for Kingsholm in the end?

One to add for Villa Park

Flood lights are utter garbage 1/640th and ISO 3200, lights are very contrasty and "mucky" :puke: even Deepdale has better lighting!

Rogan,

Sorry, I didn't get your PM and this message till this afternoon as I was straight out this morning to the football...

Hope you got it all sorted for Kingsholm in the end?

yeah all good thanks James. Duncan there was a good guy and i managed to get in the car park without a permit by sweet talking the security ***. Wifi covered the pitch so happy days! Think i'll be up Glaws way a bit more frequently now too.

yeah all good thanks James. Duncan there was a good guy and i managed to get in the car park without a permit by sweet talking the security ***. Wifi covered the pitch so happy days! Think i'll be up Glaws way a bit more frequently now too.

Nice one...I'm generally covering Bath these days, but if I'm up there, I'll drop you a line on here!

One to add for Villa Park

Flood lights are utter garbage 1/640th and ISO 3200, lights are very contrasty and "mucky" :puke: even Deepdale has better lighting!

Not to mention only on street parking in dodgy area, no food, rubbish press area and dont sit infront of the advertising boards! They do have wifi though when it works. May have improved as not been for a while.

Swindon Town anyone :shrug:

Ha ha the joys of Swindon's magic roundabout! google it....... five roundabouts on a roundabout, mental
From memory the County ground has a car park but they charge (can't remember if it's £5 or £10 for footie) not sure about anywhere else.
The car park is on one end of the ground and you walk round to the left (as you look) and the press entrance is about a third of the way up this stand, just past the hospitalty bar (I think). Go in here and the guys will sign you in and then you go upstairs (think you get shown up) to get you bib etc, hot drinks and sandwiches in the little press room.
Entrance to the pitch is from the corridor near the stairs that you come up, out onto the stand and down to pitchside, shooting all round the pitch I think.

HTH,
Shaun

Millwall - The New Den

Getting There/Parking
There is parking at the ground, book early. Trains, Surrey Quays Overground is about 10 mins walk away, New Cross Gate about the same too. London Bridge for normal trains, the old east london line for the overground.

Collecting your accreditation
Go thru the main gates and walk along the stadium. Just after the ticket office is little door for players and executives. Go in there, and you'll pick up your pass. You can leave your kit downstairs and go upstairs to the press room where you can get a coffee and sandwich.

When you are done here, you go to gate W14, thru there you are instructed to go block 32 to pick up your bib. Thru the stand down the stairs on to pitch-side, you will be greeted an given a team sheet. You can go anywhere on the blue bit around the pitch. Away supporters are on your left as you look at the pitch and they only use the upper tier.

Connectivity
3 fine, O2 fine. There is WIFI, but didn't attempt to connect to it.

Lighting
Middle of the pitch 1/640 @ 2000 ISO, drops off to the touchline so you are at 1/640 @ 3200 ISO.

Other...
Staff are lovely, Fans, not so :)

Long shot I know, but has anyone photographed at Carlisle United, Brunton Park please?

Plenty of times but a few yrs ago.. they had a go anywhere policy.. street parkign was easy... stupid stand thats longer than the pitch down one side.. comical even..not a lot i remeber TBH

Long shot I know, but has anyone photographed at Carlisle United, Brunton Park please?

Yup been there before, no press room or "proper" facilities, sit anywhere you like, lovely press officer, ISO 3200 @ 1/640th for floodlights, dont remember any colour cast though when i was there the ground was covered in fog :nuts:

Top tip, don't use the club carpark. i went to car to wire after the game and got locked in :LOL: had to drive across a field to get out:wacky:

Late one due to a change of plan - anyone been to St James Park before? I know there isn't press parking there but just wondering about street parking near by and the facilities inside.

Parking is a nightmare, get there VERY early if you don't want a Himalayanesque trek with your gear!

According to Kenny from the P&J, Pittodrie once switched off Wi-Fi at half time while everyone was filing. Very clever move....

White Hart Lane?

Ditto... Someone must have shot there. I'm doing my first footie game on Wednesday for Spurs' Champions league game with Werder Bremen at White Hart Lane. I've been told theres no media parking so:

- Is there local parking or is it a tube job?
- Full Pitch WiFi?
- Where can you shoot?
any any other info on the place.

thanks

Ditto... Someone must have shot there. I'm doing my first footie game on Wednesday for Spurs' Champions league game with Werder Bremen at White Hart Lane. I've been told theres no media parking so:

- Full Pitch WiFi?
- Where can you shoot?

thanks

Might be worth dropping James a PM as he's done a few games there now ;)

- Full Pitch WiFi?
- Where can you shoot?

thanks

So.... White Hart Lane

No street parking at all around the ground, there are some local businesses that offer match day parking at about £15. I haven't use any of these.

Best station to travel to is White Hart Lane BR station (from Liverpool Street), about a 5 min walk from the ground. Nearest Tube i believe to be Seven Sisters which is about a 25 min walk.

No wifi for photographers, you'll be lucky to be able to wire from pitch side. My advice is to take an ethernet cable and plug into the wired internet offered in the togs room (get there early or you will struggle for a seat.).

Shooting is limited to the pits at each end of the pitch, 1 either side of goal. Spurs have a couple of funny rules that only allow you to take 1 bag out with you and if you have your laptop out with you you cant use it by your side, only on your lap. However if there is enough room you can get away with it by your side.

Hope this helps

I still don't understand why some clubs charge £5-£10 for wifi.

I didn't have any problems with the big agency togs when i was there. Best thing to do is once you have signed in is to head to one of the pits and put your monopod down to reserve a place

Tranmere Rovers anyone?

Juts back from a cold night at the cliff.. man utd girls.. there a bit precious there :(

Tranmere yeagh.. suprise suprise i just got offered more than my usual rate to do that game tommorow night but already booked in at bradford

Tranmere dont even bother trying if you ahvent a car park pass they will knock you back.. however theres loads of street parking and you can park right outside the ground in not in car park.. loads chippies and stuff near by

Lighting is great... real good

Only thing I dont like.. when shooting at one end.. your made to sit in the front row of the seats with all the tranmere fans..mostly kids pinging stuff at you...

All round not a bad place..

Juts back from a cold night at the cliff.. man utd girls.. there a bit precious there :(

Tranmere yeagh.. suprise suprise i just got offered more than my usual rate to do that game tommorow night but already booked in at bradford

Tranmere dont even bother trying if you ahvent a car park pass they will knock you back.. however theres loads of street parking and you can park right outside the ground in not in car park.. loads chippies and stuff near by

Lighting is great... real good

Only thing I dont like.. when shooting at one end.. your made to sit in the front row of the seats with all the tranmere fans..mostly kids pinging stuff at you...

All round not a bad place..

Ok thanks alot mate!

I had the pleasure to shoot at Wembley yesterday. By far the best stadium I've been to so far...

Getting there
Predictably very busy on a match day, but get there early. I was on the motorbike and parked in the Green car park about 20 yards from the photographer's entrance (just to the left of the "Wembley Way" bridge under the concourse).

Get there early because all the photographers also get there early. I checked in, did the bag search and got my creds, then onto the Photographers Lounge. As a first timer I asked where to go and a nice media steward took me through.

Once in, the advice is to get pitchside and book your place pronto by laying down your monopod/stool. I did this at 2pm (5pm kick off) and most of the good spots had already gone.

Getting away is predictably very tricky too if you are in a car. Expect a long slow dribble out of the estate and onto the main roads. By motorbike I was back in Guildford in 40 mins :D.

Comms & Power
In your creds pack is a bit of paper with login details for the network connectivity. Dont lose this! In the Photographer's Lounge there is wired network and power. Rather fantastically, you can get the same pitchside as well. There are wired LAN ports all around the pitch. There are also numerous large plastic boxes full of LAN cables as well. If you sit near one of the covered green power units you can plug in your laptop too. Some togs take an extension lead with them as well. The networking is awesome - snap, caption, send. I was pinging pictures away 2-3 mins after taking them. Bloody brilliant!!

Lighting
I was there in daylight. There's a pretty harsh shadow that comes across the pitch but that's nothing unusual.

Other Stuff
You'll get a wee bag with sandwiches, crisps, chocky and a drink. Also there were hotdogs post match. Tea and coffee are on tap and there's a fridge with cold water in. The staff are exceptionally helpful. Overall an excellent experience.

How about parking at Wembley for togs?? I'm there on boxing day and given theres a tube strike on that day it could end up a total nightmare.

How about parking at Wembley for togs?? I'm there on boxing day and given theres a tube strike on that day it could end up a total nightmare.

for the Championship Playoff Final it was £25 :eek: not sure if it will be better for the Rugby, as far as i remember there is no public parking on the estates around the ground, it's all permit holders only

suprised you ahvent been allocated a space as thats usual if got a pass.. otherwise a lot of little business open there yards and charge fopr parking so theres plenty... although boxing day who knows... all different then.. you wont get in anywhere official wihtout an actual pass IMHO

The again I ahve been a couple of times and different organisations who run the events ahve diff ways of doing things..

I am rambling now:)

I thought I'd have been allocated parking too.... Even contacted Sarries press man a fortnight in advance to ensure I would have it.... Accreditation comes through saying 'unfortunately we cannot offer parking.' Will just try and blag it with a press card... Stewards often just wave u thru but I guess those at Wembley will be 'efficient!'

kieranmcmanus said:
Are the trains running okay? You can park up at a station on the outskirts - maybe High Wycombe? and then get a train directly to Wembley. If you are coming from Bristol area as well, it is handy as it is on the M4 or nearby.

Unfortunately not.... There's NO rail services anywhere in the country on Boxing day apart from heathrow and gatwick rail replacement buses ... News to me and a complete pain in the arse!

Back