Tutorial The TP Tips Bank

1. get a green garden waste bag and cut of hole in it for the camera then put it over yourself. extremely cheap hide.

2. use a carrier bag with hole in it for a waterproof shelter for your camera.

3. use a bin bag for kneeling or sitting on natural round.

4. this is probably the best, if you press that little button on your grip it takes a picture.

Put some rice in a small freezer bag, just enough so you can manipulate it, it will mold to trees, back of chairs, fences, stone walls etc, just rest or press your lens against it for instant IS.

Or use a party bag of M&M's in case you get hungry :naughty:

Works a treat.

More than one battery?

If you carry more than one spare battery, put a rubber band around the one that's fully charged. Once used, put back in your bag without refitting the 'band. This way you'll know, the ones with the 'band are charged and the ones without are used-up!

Macro with twigs in the way?

Carry a couple of clothes washing clips. Use them on twigs / weed that are in your frame. The weight of the clips will cause them to sway out of your view. Make sure to use the "hole" bit so as not to harm the plants.

Whenever outdoor, keep a couple of garbage bags (small and large) in your bag along with a couple of rubber bands. You'll never know when they may come in handy. If you need to lie down, sit on wet bench, put dirt / used stuff, protect your gear from rain? Very light and take up almost no space what so ever.

De-Fog & Pop

First thing to do when you open an image you want to keep/print/publish:
Filter->Sharpen->Unsharp Mask set to 20, 60, 0.
You won't believe how the image becomes brighter & clearer. Select/deselect the "Preview" checkbox to see the difference.
Save this as an Action (.atn) & get into the habit of running it every time.

Last thing to do with an image (especially portraits, not so effective for landscapes but try it & see on different images):
Filter->Sharpen->Unsharp Mask set to (go with me here):
500 (yes, 500), 0.1, 0
Highlight the 0.1 value with your cursor & use the "Up" & "Down" arrows on your keyboard to increase/decrease the value. Usually around a value of 0.3 or 0.4 (for portraits - other types may need a bit more) you'll suddenly see the image "Pop" as the colours & contrast just all come together.

Trust me & try them.

Could anyone tell me what application is this used in?

Keep one of those nicely folded charity bags that pop through the post in your kit bag, comes in handy when sitting on wet ground

For that ultra low level capture fit your monopod, set the camera on self timer press shutter button for focus and exposure, turn camera upside down onto the toe of your shoe, you might have to experiment for level and angle but it does work.

I always say that there is nothing in nature that cannot be improved with Photoshop!

Example of low level capture!
Abandoned.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
As a complete newbie, I would like to thank all of you for putting your tips here. Just had a very interesting 30 minute read of them all. :clap:

Just cos your camera has a high fps doesn't mean u have to use it, even with motorsport, spend the time to see where the cars/subject are going and compose, think about it and take a single good panning shot, rather than just machine gunning it, not only do you think more about your picture/settings etc you don't end up with hundreds of the same pic to sort through when u get home and i find i get a much better hit rate as well :)

Just cos your camera has a high fps doesn't mean u have to use it, even with motorsport, spend the time to see where the cars/subject are going and compose, think about it and take a single good panning shot, rather than just machine gunning it, not only do you think more about your picture/settings etc you don't end up with hundreds of the same pic to sort through when u get home and i find i get a much better hit rate as well :)

:notworthy:

essential kit:

sharpies, ideally 2 colours, 1 black
carry tape. I use blue/red electrical insulation tape, so it's dark but you can still write on it with said sharpie.
Blackberries or similar smartphones are godsends. GPS and a 3g connection just make life so much easier...
Lanyards - shoot a lot of events, and quite often they'll give you a dangerous piece of ribbon, or worse, string, to hold your ID pass. Replace it with a snap release lanyard.
EARPLUGS. I haven't had any problems working in some of the loudest enviroments you'll find outside of reading festival pit, with surefire EP3's, and they're acoustic tube compatible too if you use radios.
A climbing style carabiner lets you quickly attach your camera bag to the bottom of a light stand as a sand bag.
If you are charging, you need public liability insurance and at minimum 2 bodies and 2 lenses and 2 flashes. End of.

Keep your kit packed to go.

Know the sandisk cases that pro cf cards come in? Or other nicer, card cases (sd users, 7dayshop have them cheap atm). Card label up = ready to use, card pins / write on label up, used, do not touch. Alternatively, Two card cases, preferably that are different, and stored on different parts of you. Format all your cards before you start shooting so that you never have to format in the field, all this reduces the likelihood of mistakes. Be methodical but fast. What goes where needs to be habit.

Your camera is a tool, it does not need to be overly mothered. Look after it, yes, but overly obsessive lens polishing and sensor cleaning will probably just rub in dirt (especially in the field) or whatever and at some point make it worse. And it being in (light) rain for a couple mins probably won't hurt it either. Insure it, and you're covered either way. Job done.

Shooting events, carry a small LED torch and a lighter. If working with bands, promoters or similar, a pack of smokes can buy you extra shooting time or favours too.
'available' light is anything that you can get to hand... the sun, a 1980s speedlight, or profotos.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. be meticulous but fast. This comes only with practice.
You can get plastic AA battery holders off ebay, dealextreme or 7dayshop. Sharpie this onto them:
+ <--------
alive
to know whether batteries in them are dead or alive. Put some tape on one side if you need to be able to tell in the dark.

Get it right in camera. Never mutter the words 'I'll fix that in post' (unless presented with really bad raw material... :p ).

Where it matters, buy well, buy once. Where it doesn't, getting a piece of plastic that doesn't have the nikon or canon sticker on it will leave you money for stuff where it does matter.

It's all too easy to blame your own inexperience, lack of skills or scope on the equipment that you have, and use this as justification to spend money on new shiny toys that will just further distract you from taking photos. Get comfortable with the kit that you've got. Learn to use it as an extension of your eye. Only when you regularly come up against barriers imposed by your equipment (or the need for additional equipment to securely take on paid jobs) do you need to investigate new expenditure. We can all have a quiet moment alone in the toilets with the D3s/1D4 spec, but would it really help me take more creative photos? More original ideas? No.
That said, sometimes a new gear purchase can provide the motivation to shoot more, or new things, or from a new perspective, so aren't always a bad thing. A tripod, or a fast prime, are probably 2 of the best examples of this. Sometimes it's something as small as an ND filter or a wireless flash trigger, neither of which need run you over £20 at the start...

It is often better to fix the technical stuff, and then worry about what you are shooting. minor adjustments to the technical stuff can come quickly while you're at ease with the subject, but if you're at ease with the technicalities and not the subject, you won't get great pictures. Technically accurate, maybe, but often...missing something. Look at most photos that make you go 'daaaamn' and it's not the execution as much as the content that evokes that kind of response.

'Nice shot!' 'criticism' doesn't help anyone. Some people might be more up themselves than myself, but I would far prefer one deeply critical but indepth comment to a thousand 'nice shot!'s. Even one thing that you like about it (and don't just say 'the colours'....) is better than nothing if you can't see anything wrong with it! On the other hand, some people don't like having their work torn to shreds when they post it online, so be polite...compliment sandwiches work well :)

Many years ago I read an article by a famous photographer who maintained that there is an excellent photograph of absolutely anything. You just have to find it.

Shoot lots, and enjoy what you shoot.

a very very informative post, some of it I do already some of it I will do Asap :D the lanyard thing is v useful as I got something coming up

essential kit:

carry tape. I use blue/red electrical insulation tape, so it's dark but you can still write on it with said sharpie.
Blackberries or similar smartphones are godsends. GPS and a 3g connection just make life so much easier...
Lanyards - shoot a lot of events, and quite often they'll give you a dangerous piece of ribbon, or worse, string, to hold your ID pass. Replace it with a snap release lanyard.
EARPLUGS. I haven't had any problems working in some of the loudest enviroments you'll find outside of reading festival pit, with surefire EP3's, and they're acoustic tube compatible too if you use radios.
A climbing style carabiner lets you quickly attach your camera bag to the bottom of a light stand as a sand bag.
If you are charging, you need public liability insurance and at minimum 2 bodies and 2 lenses and 2 flashes. End of.

Know the sandisk cases that pro cf cards come in? Or other nicer, card cases (sd users, 7dayshop have them cheap atm). Card label up = ready to use, card pins / write on label up, used, do not touch. Alternatively, Two card cases, preferably that are different, and stored on different parts of you. Format all your cards before you start shooting so that you never have to format in the field, all this reduces the likelihood of mistakes. Be methodical but fast. What goes where needs to be habit.

Your camera is a tool, it does not need to be overly mothered. Look after it, yes, but overly obsessive lens polishing and sensor cleaning will probably just rub in dirt (especially in the field) or whatever and at some point make it worse. And it being in (light) rain for a couple mins probably won't hurt it either. Insure it, and you're covered either way. Job done.

Shooting events, carry a small LED torch and a lighter. If working with bands, promoters or similar, a pack of smokes can buy you extra shooting time or favours too.
'available' light is anything that you can get to hand... the sun, a 1980s speedlight, or profotos.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. be meticulous but fast. This comes only with practice.
You can get plastic AA battery holders off ebay, dealextreme or 7dayshop. Sharpie this onto them:
+ <--------
alive
to know whether batteries in them are dead or alive. Put some tape on one side if you need to be able to tell in the dark.

Get it right in camera. Never mutter the words 'I'll fix that in post' (unless presented with really bad raw material... :p ).

Where it matters, buy well, buy once. Where it doesn't, getting a piece of plastic that doesn't have the nikon or canon sticker on it will leave you money for stuff where it does matter.

It's all too easy to blame your own inexperience, lack of skills or scope on the equipment that you have, and use this as justification to spend money on new shiny toys that will just further distract you from taking photos. Get comfortable with the kit that you've got. Learn to use it as an extension of your eye. Only when you regularly come up against barriers imposed by your equipment (or the need for additional equipment to securely take on paid jobs) do you need to investigate new expenditure. We can all have a quiet moment alone in the toilets with the D3s/1D4 spec, but would it really help me take more creative photos? More original ideas? No.
That said, sometimes a new gear purchase can provide the motivation to shoot more, or new things, or from a new perspective, so aren't always a bad thing. A tripod, or a fast prime, are probably 2 of the best examples of this. Sometimes it's something as small as an ND filter or a wireless flash trigger, neither of which need run you over £20 at the start...

It is often better to fix the technical stuff, and then worry about what you are shooting. minor adjustments to the technical stuff can come quickly while you're at ease with the subject, but if you're at ease with the technicalities and not the subject, you won't get great pictures. Technically accurate, maybe, but often...missing something. Look at most photos that make you go 'daaaamn' and it's not the execution as much as the content that evokes that kind of response.

'Nice shot!' 'criticism' doesn't help anyone. Some people might be more up themselves than myself, but I would far prefer one deeply critical but indepth comment to a thousand 'nice shot!'s. Even one thing that you like about it (and don't just say 'the colours'....) is better than nothing if you can't see anything wrong with it! On the other hand, some people don't like having their work torn to shreds when they post it online, so be polite...compliment sandwiches work well :)

Many years ago I read an article by a famous photographer who maintained that there is an excellent photograph of absolutely anything. You just have to find it.

essential kit:

+ <--------
alive

excelent post, cheers dave (y)

Cling film and an elastic band make a decent temporary lens cover for when you erm "misplace" the real ones and need to go hunting for them[emoji15]

holy thread revival bat man

stick a piece of self adhesive velcro to your lens cap, and the other half to your camera back - et voila never lose your lens cap again (although you can now wander round like a prat with it velcroed to your camera bak wondering where the hell it is)

I have just applied the rule of Turds and now have no photos left !

I number my batteries as if you use a grip, then spare set =4.Also, if you have more than one camera with batteries which are non interchangeable but superficialy look the same then mark the camera model as well (eg Canon 500d, Canon 550d)

LH pocket of camera bag - spare memory card(s) charged spare batteries, RH pocket - full cards and flat batteries

If you use more than one camera make, label the cards and keep one set for (say) Canon and a second set for (sa) fuji

Last edited:
Back