The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

11148802_10155626989745613_5425575642224629102_o.jpg

BTS :)

whats the benefit of mounting on the side window like that? is it not putting more pressure on the cup? could you have mounted on the top of the roof and taken the extension off? or used an extension on the second cup to keep the higher shot? just curious :)

I wanted the low shot and always always always mount on glass over paintwork where I can. Simple as that really, especially in summer when paintwork is going to be warmer and crucially, softer.

I shot this camera upside down. Hate it hate it hate it. Brain does not compute.

i-kTvxH5t-XL.jpg

Nice shot, angle is a little funny for me the tilt and turn combo hurts my brain. Lovely backdrop and sharpness.

Seen your shoot on instagram of Chris' R8 from dedication blog, great stuff - watch their videos on youtube now and then. Keep it up, great shots all round fella

first one for me Matt, love the sky especially! What was the aperture for the 2nd shot? sharp front end but blurry rear and background has gone a little bit strange?
Settings was around f11 i was on gravel.. plus had very little time... Sprung the rig idea on owner just b4 i was leaving lol

Nice shot, angle is a little funny for me the tilt and turn combo hurts my brain. Lovely backdrop and sharpness.

Seen your shoot on instagram of Chris' R8 from dedication blog, great stuff - watch their videos on youtube now and then. Keep it up, great shots all round fella

Nice chaps, the pair of them. Was a good day. Got his GT86 out at the end too.

Planned to do a shoot with my mates T25 pickup before he sells it and as usual, the weather tried it's best to shut us down! Super windy with showers meant we were limited in time so only got one shot done! Still had fun though, first non-car for me so new struggle with the height of the van and a curved roof limited mounting options! All good fun though

T25 Pickup by Matt Smith, on Flickr

A before and after shot of the Ultima GTR I did a while back.

This was a composite of a few shots plus a different sky dropped in. The exposure for the car was 30 secs, the road 7 secs. Both at ISO50, 10mm, F10.

Noticed I have missed a bit of the rig reflection on the side of the windscreen below the mirror. Oh well haha

Ultima GTR Rig Shot by Sammy Donaldson, on Flickr

Ultima GTR Rig Shot by Sammy Donaldson, on Flickr

Sammy

I looked into them @Kristian Armitage but was put off. You need something with a thick enough wall to not flex but also still be lightweight. Even with 2 combined you'd only be around 3m so personally I'd try for 3 if it does work!

So would you get a thicker wall if you was in my boots?

Yeah, there are no specs listed, but I bet it's about 1.5" in diameter and 1.5mm wall. Larger diameter and wall thickness means less flex, but also more weight, so you need to find a balance.

Audi R8

10999495_631207236979596_8814183472956706412_o.jpg

& the video to go with it quickly running through retouch steps from RAW to final.

Managed to finally get a quick half hour the other day to finally try out the Rig pro setup i got from this forum. Pretty happy with the windy day rush job! :)
View attachment 39474

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool - is it the semi pro one? as im torn between one of these or building another DIY one.

as while i can by a CCR one its a lot of money for something i may not use alot

I picked the bits I wanted, but the booms are pro booms, not semi pro. A bit stiffer I gather, but I haven't used the semi-pro stuff so can't directly compare to anything other than aluminium.

I've been looking at this thread for a while now and it's been a excellent resource so thanks to all who've inputted.

I went full time as a photographer a couple of years now but am embarrassed to say I haven't done much with rigs.

I built a basic setup (suction cup with one short extension arm) and have more parts arriving tomorrow which I'm eager to use.

This is one of my first tries last night in Macdonalds car park. I got a lot of random questions, like what are you filming etc...

Last edited:
It's won't let me share my photo. Is there a minimum amount of posts I need before I can post pictures?

vMytEL

I've been looking at this thread for a while now and it's been a excellent resource so thanks to all who've inputted.

I went full time as a photographer a couple of years now but am embarrassed to say I haven't done much with rigs.

I built a basic setup (suction cup with one short extension arm) and have more parts arriving tomorrow which I'm eager to use.

This is one of my first tries last night in Macdonalds car park. I got a lot of random questions, like what are you filming etc...

hi, thanks for posting, always good to have more people involved, the thread has got a bit massive now haha.
Glad it helped!

Do you use Flickr? I find it easier to load them on there and then share from there. Keeps the quality high and you're not limited by how much you upload.

People do tend to stare at you when you rig. They either come over and ask or look at you like you're completely bonkers!

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did try to use the flickr link option but it still gave me the red cross.

2G0aV4

strange, are you clicking on the image you want to post, then clicking on the arrow in the bottom right? then selecting the size you want to share and then copying the code into the reply box on here?

19396092210_26140a5601_b.jpg

I had an interesting shoot this evening with my new rig. I defiantly need a thicker and stronger pole as I was getting a whole load of bounce.

Back