The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Spent a lot of time editing my favourite rig shot from the Ferrari shoot I did. This was a lot of work to get looking right! Took me about 2 hours of editing...

This is the shot straight from camera, nothing done to it at all...

and after editing...

Sammy

Last edited:
Not on the forum much, but I love this thread the most out of all.

Fantastic work to all. Loving the CRX![emoji41]
Thanks!

what RAW editor did you use? did you apply any noise reduction?
My camera handle it well. I actually remember if I did. Would be in Lightroom if i did.

Loving the Ferrari shots!

Shot a friend's S2000 the other day before a meet. Quite happy with it but was a bit rushed for time.

21760973413_7f2ecee3eb_b.jpg

Last edited:
Shot a friend's S2000 the other day before a meet. Quite happy with it but was a bit rushed for time.

i really like that shot. Did you add the red/pink to the sky or is that a colour cast from your filter?

Some great shots. I quite fancy having a go at this!

do it!!! It's hard to start with but gets easier and is great fun. Loads of help in this thread and people to answer any questions :)

also today I went and got a load of parts to make a tensioner for the rig. Been wanting to do this for ages and managed to get all the bits for just over £20!

Will edit the photos and throw them up here to show what I came up with.

Anyone else use a homemade tensioner to improve the stability of the rig?

So I recently decided to make a rig tensioner to make my rig even more stable at long lengths.

My rig is telescopic but this type of tensioner could be used on any fixed length rig (homemade or pro).

I thought I would put up a guide to help anyone else that wanted to make one.

The parts are all easily accessible from your local hardware/plumbing supplies stores.

I got my parts from Screwfix, B&Q and a local plumbing and heating store.

I have tried to link to where I got them but used eBay links for the local store parts.

The parts you will need are:

2 x turnbuckle (rigging) screws - 1/4"
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hardware-solutions-turnbuckle-hook-zinc-plated/63563

1 x wire rope - 4mm x 10m
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wire-rope-grey-4mm-x-10m/57524

1 x pack of wire rope accessories (fixings)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wire-rope-accessories-grey-4mm-x-m/30192

1 x rubber lined munsen ring - M10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Li...hash=item4d3c518360:m:mw-TxarxIi8aOJ2ePAavCUQ

1 x threaded stainless steel bar - M10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Stainl...hash=item257337972f:m:mMspJFbrox3VN4lu7Q_r6FA

1 x eye bolt (nut) - M10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-316-Ma...hash=item2c8f72e5e1:m:mXYXt5LoY8aJKYJuDgtDf7Q

1 x nylon nut - M10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-Marine...hash=item53f86a7e1a:m:mO7ApJ-con6PbvWHpFurl-g

Last edited:
It is really simple to put together:

- slide the munsen ring onto the centre of your rig and fully tighten

- thread the M10 threaded bar into the munsen ring and use the nylon nut to ensure it does not come loose.

- attach the M10 eye bolt (nut) onto the top of the threaded bar.

- pass the wire rope through the eye bolt and gauge how much length is needed.

- thread the wire rope through the turnbuckle eyelets at either end.

- MAKE SURE the turnbuckles are at their longest before cutting the rope, that way you will have enough play in either end to tension the rope.

- bend the rope back on itself and use the wire rope fixings to secure (I used three for each end of the rope and hit them with a hammer and spanner to crimp together).

- hook the turnbuckles onto each end of the rig pole

- tighten the turnbuckles to tension the rope

- the end!

Some more photos of mine:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Sammy I'll give this a try I think as it's not a lot of money, does it make a lot of difference? One thing I wanted to check, you say pass cable thru eyebolt, but in your picture it looks like you have cut the eye bolt so it's open negating the need to thread thru. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Sammy I'll give this a try I think as it's not a lot of money, does it make a lot of difference? One thing I wanted to check, you say pass cable thru eyebolt, but in your picture it looks like you have cut the eye bolt so it's open negating the need to thread thru. Is this correct?

ah well spotted, when I took the photos I hadn't got the eye bolt at that time. I ordered it on eBay and it came the day later. So I used a wing nut that I had in the garage already, just to run the cable over the top :)

It does make a lot of difference at full length, adds that bit of extra stability and reduced bounce when you are using your boom as long as you can.

First post on here, this is the Carlsberg of threads for me :)
I have read every post and have been amazed at what you guys have produced.
I have sourced my equipment list and am just waiting on funds to arrive to finally purchase my kit.
I will be going with a carbon pole from Cardiff Gareth.
Will get more involved once i have the gear.

First post on here, this is the Carlsberg of threads for me :)
I have read every post and have been amazed at what you guys have produced.
I have sourced my equipment list and am just waiting on funds to arrive to finally purchase my kit.
I will be going with a carbon pole from Cardiff Gareth.
Will get more involved once i have the gear.

awesome, look forward to seeing what you create with your rig when you get it! Glad you like the thread!

Shot this matt camo green Focus RS yesterday! It was such a dull day I had to up the ISO and aperture to compensate, this was at f5.6. I wouldn't normally go that high but seems to be okay...

Focus RS Rig Shot by Sammy Donaldson, on Flickr

Saw this last night on Facebook and thought it was great. Really makes me want to get a rig but can't justify it. Guess I'll just continue to lust after the images created on here

Saw this last night on Facebook and thought it was great. Really makes me want to get a rig but can't justify it. Guess I'll just continue to lust after the images created on here

thanks! came out not too bad consider it was such a dark day! Rigging doesn't have to be expensive. My first and second rigs were homemade (first few pages of this thread) and didn't cost much at all.

Shot this matt camo green Focus RS yesterday! It was such a dull day I had to up the ISO and aperture to compensate, this was at f5.6. I wouldn't normally go that high but seems to be okay...

Focus RS Rig Shot by Sammy Donaldson, on Flickr

Hi Sammy, did you still use an nd filter ? And how far did you push the iso, it certainly doesn't look like it's suffered because of it. I Suppose that a longer exposure was out ?

Yet another cracker :)
Derek

Hi Sammy, did you still use an nd filter ? And how far did you push the iso, it certainly doesn't look like it's suffered because of it. I Suppose that a longer exposure was out ?

Yet another cracker :)
Derek

thanks Derek, yeah used my Hoya ND 400 filter and had my CPL stacked too, had the ISO up to 320 (not that high really but I usually rig at ISO50, this was a 30 second exposure :)

thanks Derek, yeah used my Hoya ND 400 filter and had my CPL stacked too, had the ISO up to 320 (not that high really but I usually rig at ISO50, this was a 30 second exposure :)

I've no experience yet of this type of shooting, (yet :) ), but would stepping down to f13 or there abouts and no nd filter have allowed you to keep the iso down ? With a similar exp time ? Or is it just better to keep the nd on ?

I've no experience yet of this type of shooting, (yet :) ), but would stepping down to f13 or there abouts and no nd filter have allowed you to keep the iso down ? With a similar exp time ? Or is it just better to keep the nd on ?

nah you really need an ND filter, I used to rig without one and I don't know how I ever did it. Without the ND (and even with F13+) you couldn't get near the 30 second exposure time I like to use. Usually on a bright day the ND400 is perfect for me, just yesterday was a really dull day.

Also we have just created a Facebook rig group called - Car Rig Photography

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1031850470212387/

Trying to build up the group so please join if you are interested in this type of photography :)
nah you really need an ND filter, I used to rig without one and I don't know how I ever did it. Without the ND (and even with F13+) you couldn't get near the 30 second exposure time I like to use. Usually on a bright day the ND400 is perfect for me, just yesterday was a really dull day.

Have just joined it,
And thanks for the info, it's always great to get useful information from people who know their stuff.
Cheers
Derek

I'm just back from a drive into Dublin, where I have managed to buy,
Manfrotto magic arm
4 super clamps
Manfrotto 155 double ball joint + bracket
2 manfrotto avenger f1000
3 neodymium 110 km pull 60mm dia magnets
Ali pole boom 5.5 mtrs
2 tensioners, one for cup mounting and one for magnet mounting
and a few other bits and bobs.
This gear is as new, not a mark anywhere on any of it, he has gone into product photography, was used twice.
I had planned on waiting till the new year to get the gear, but I stumbled across this and couldn't pass it up. Will still get a carbon pole from Garreth when the funds arrive but in the mean time, I shall practice when the wet weather allows.
I paid equivalent £185. I thought it was a bargain.
Can't wait to try it all out.

I'm just back from a drive into Dublin, where I have managed to buy,
Manfrotto magic arm
4 super clamps
Manfrotto 155 double ball joint + bracket
2 manfrotto avenger f1000
3 neodymium 110 km pull 60mm dia magnets
Ali pole boom 5.5 mtrs
2 tensioners, one for cup mounting and one for magnet mounting
and a few other bits and bobs.
This gear is as new, not a mark anywhere on any of it, he has gone into product photography, was used twice.
I had planned on waiting till the new year to get the gear, but I stumbled across this and couldn't pass it up. Will still get a carbon pole from Garreth when the funds arrive but in the mean time, I shall practice when the wet weather allows.
I paid equivalent £185. I thought it was a bargain.
Can't wait to try it all out.

That's awesome. Can't wait to see your shots. If you need a hand give me a shout here or in the rig group. You will love rigging. Gets really good fun especially as you see your shots improving with practice.

Back