The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Rig-Pro has posted some Rig-Shot tips @ his FB site. Here they are, maybe they'll help some of you guys :).

A Rig-Pro Top Tip's list I put together last night for a friend. If you like the tips, share the page!!

- location scouting is essential, and you're looking for smooth, with curves, and on a hill
- set up early in the day, it'll save you valuable time during the shoot
- wax the spots where the cups will be on the car
- mark the cups "F" & "R" with masking tape, as well as where they were located
- always bring an assistant if possible
- choose an interesting focus point, like a headlight, or wheel
- low angles work good for car with big cabin's, like Subaru STi's
- high angles work good for cars with small cabin's, like Lamborghini's
- once you install the rig, don't move it, then you can use any part of any shot in post
- mark your circular polarizer spots with masking tape, so you never have to look through the viewer
- pushing is a last resort, just releasing the brake, or using a cable pull are much better options
- start at f22 and work your way down to f11
- start at 1.5 seconds, and work your way up to 4-6 seconds
- make sure to do several static shots
- use your 1.5-2-second shots for the wheels, and ground, as they will have more detail, and convey motion better
- use your 4-6 second shots for the background, as it will be more streaked, and smoother, and give the best impression of speed
- parking lights, headlights, brakelights, passing cars, use everything
- straight wheels for straight backgrounds, turned for curves
- wheel-face towards the viewer 98% of the time, but tire-towards the viewer can work
- hold, or push down slightly on the camera during the shot, it'll keep it more steady
- however slow you're going, it's not slow enough
- never have the engine running if you can help it
- if you're shooting in daylight, make sure to have your ND handy
- check your cup pumps often
- remember that rig shots with the driver visible have much more impact
- windows up usually works best, but consider the driver here

HAVE FUN!

My latest not the best removal of the rig but ill give it a better go when i have time

used and abused daily rs by Martin woods images, on Flickr

nice shot, although a longer exposure might have blurred the background more and given a better sense of movement :)

for the rig removal I would just select the car as a new layer then extend the top of the roller door to the right so it blends in nicely, should remove easily that way :)

tonight I went out with a mate and had a play about with the rig with his lovely S5 :D

Took quite a few and did one quick edit before I go to bed...

steve1.jpg

really happy with these ones, its a nice change doing the rig shots indoors and under artificial light. :)

more to follow tomorrow!

Sammy

Only just noticed this thread haha

I use a mega modified B Hauge rig which i bought thinking it would be perfect but it was far from it lol. Only the suction mounts remain pretty much

Here is a pic of the rig

486635_376745449063008_544876214_n.jpg

Anyway, some of my rig shots

rig-23.jpg

rig-21.jpg

derek-rig.jpg

mint-rig.jpg

rig1.jpg

Comments welcome

I bookedmarked your blog yesterday after seeing it on DS.
Makes for a good read. Out of itnetest is your rig built by you or can you buy them? I know for most it's proberbly well out of our price ranges.

I bookedmarked your blog yesterday after seeing it on DS.
Makes for a good read. Out of itnetest is your rig built by you or can you buy them? I know for most it's proberbly well out of our price ranges.

The rig was built by a guilder company back in 1999 cost 15 k basic, probably spent the same again in dev!

Under car rigs are a thing of beauty, and way out of the reach of the 99%!

Totally agree "way out of the reach of the 99%!" but you can rent rigs by the day.

This is also not cheap and probably not worth the expense if you are just taking the image for pleasure?

Read More

I also have a couple of short rig set ups and will be testing another next week.
These rigs can be brought off the shelf prices start @ £600 and rise to £1500 (probably most people here already know that) and again not worth the expense if you are just taking the image for pleasure?

Take a look at the Move and Shoot or the R1 rig sets if you would like to see really expensive rigs. BTS Move and Shoot rig outside the Disney Concert Hall LA

Most of my rig work is business related, to invest in a piece of kit is a simple business decision. ;)

My social media links for anyone who might be interested?

Harniman Website
Latest thoughts and info Blog
Join us on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Flickr
500px

RigShotDickBirdpromo.jpg

Last edited:
Some new RIG shots. Unfortunately, still using Canon 18-55 kit lenses, 3.2m aluminum boom and no ND filter (already bought one - it's being shipped now)

8600054793_ea51b88d3f_z.jpg

8601160458_9855cc3761_z.jpg

8601159848_531322a230_z.jpg

Before / After

biforyrig.jpg

Last edited:
Nigel - that rig is awesome, how is it secured under the car, this has always been something that ive wanted to know with the under car rigs.

Ive been at it again, got the rig on the A4 last night for a quick photo, The rig is still at 4.5m but wanting to get to 6m asap as the cups are a little close together for my liking, and i also need a cable support system put in. Ideally id like to upgrade the cups and mounts to a ball joint system

BTS
72899_10151586704424402_608372615_n.jpg

Finished shot

My A4 Rigged by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

edit was done in about 5 mins, but this was only really a tester / shot done out of boredom waiting for my girlfriend to finish work lol

#2 is by far the better of the 3 imo, #1 and #3 are both blown from the sky and the way they have been editted has blown the headlight area and front bumper, the side of the car looks good as does the tarmac.

Maybe something to look at next time :)
Thanks for your opinion - it's always good to have some constructive criticisizm ;).
However, the editing of the sky and this white gradient have been done on purpose to add that bright sky notion ;).

Cheers!

Last edited:
hello, new here. Just a question, I need to shoot some trucks and would like to know how long could one make these rigs?

Last edited:
i agree with the virtual rig, but a bit expensive and i would much rather shoot in in camera...

shooting again tomorrow, will try and get some distance measurements and start planing!

I places and order for a 6m carbon rig from Car Camera Rig yesterday and I've done nothing but look through rig threads since. I want to play with it now, but it won't be here until late next week :(

I places and order for a 6m carbon rig from Car Camera Rig yesterday and I've done nothing but look through rig threads since. I want to play with it now, but it won't be here until late next week :(

Blimey! Splashing the cash! Still, supposed to be the best suction rig out there.

I went for the whole kit. But with the double ball joint head instead of the magic arm. I also got a 24" carbon camera extension arm as Justin who works for Car Camera Rig said that's the best configuration.
The 24" extension gets the camera further away from the boom and it weighs less than 100g without the clamps.

I'll be posting pics of the kit and the set up on a vehicle of some sort as soon as it arrives :D

Back