The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Before_zps7636e1f6.jpg

Is that a real rig or virtual rig? The vehicles look great but the motion just looks weird. Like it's been painted in at the sides.

tbh i rarely light/shoot/edit car images to make them look 'natural' - they are processed images and stylised as such so I understand its a matter of taste (though i accept there are technical points with the images im never 100% satisfied with my work). But i much prefer to put an artistic take on the images than attempt to recreate what the eye might naturally see.

You want around effective 15mm I think.

Tempted to get the Samyang 14mm for my 5D3 but it can't take bloody filters! Easily at least, and it would vignette even with a 105 filter I think.

Got a quick question for you guys. What are you using between the Suction cup and the Super Clamps?

Cheers in advance!

Ive just purchased two of the Woods suction cups, fixed thread on top. So looking for the part that threads on.

Not sure whos image I used to illustrate my point:

(http://tinypic.com/r/20i82g8/5)

Will be posting results when the parts arrive this week.

Cheers!

You want around effective 15mm I think.

Tempted to get the Samyang 14mm for my 5D3 but it can't take bloody filters! Easily at least, and it would vignette even with a 105 filter I think.
Just spotted this. I have that lens and use a 120mm filter with elastic bands.

Really great thread guys!

Got the final parts of my very basic rig together a few months back and have had a few goes with it. Scrolling through some of the crazy shots here makes me want to experiment with the set-up more.

Pretty much everything I shoot now is cars, and most of what I shoot is for StyleCase, so would be awesome to add rig photography to one of my styles.
Will make the effort to get the rig involved more over 2014!

Here's my favourite two shots I have managed so far.

1003008_10200588610267769_97930341_n.jpg

1476325_10151707668805448_296215517_n.jpg

1471294_460832647361538_1918394224_n.jpg

A few from me.. Only used my rig a handful of times and i broke the suction cup and didn't bother with it looking forward to using it this year though but i'm unsure about using the 1D and rig on supercars etc. wouldn't mind a carbon one! one of my first rig shots.

Scirocco on the go
by Riad Ariane, on Flickr

Renault Sport 200 AG

FF Racing

RiadArianeMedia

RiadArianeMedia

Love the Porker and the M1.
I find the open warehouse door (?) on the Clio shot with the white distracting, but great shots nonetheless

Love the Porker and the M1.
I find the open warehouse door (?) on the Clio shot with the white distracting, but great shots nonetheless
Cheers, Its actually daytona in Manchester go karting track. Literally had 15 minutes to set up and shoot not ideal but was worth a shot! Client was happy. Will be doing a lot more with the rig this yearlooking at carbon options but there so expensive.

It's a different rubber on the suction cup which doesn't leave the black mark that the standard cups sometimes leave.

If the rubber is a bit tougher and lasts longer then it would be worth going for. The standard cups can be a bit fragile in my experience!

Hi, I'm currently working on my rig. And have ordered Avenger F1000 Pump Cups, Manfrotto Super Clamps and a Manfrotto Magic Arm. The order is is due to arrive first week of March.
I have a few questions regarding the rig itself. Firstly the boom pole, any ideas of what I should be looking for(material, Length, Diameter, Sections...etc). Secondly I'm a full frame user and and using Tokina 16-28 for Ultra wide shots, since this lens doesnt takes any kind of filters as it doesn't have any thread. What are you people using for long exposures (full frame camera owners using ultra wide).

Cheers.

Hi, I'm currently working on my rig. And have ordered Avenger F1000 Pump Cups, Manfrotto Super Clamps and a Manfrotto Magic Arm. The order is is due to arrive first week of March.
I have a few questions regarding the rig itself. Firstly the boom pole, any ideas of what I should be looking for(material, Length, Diameter, Sections...etc). Secondly I'm a full frame user and and using Tokina 16-28 for Ultra wide shots, since this lens doesnt takes any kind of filters as it doesn't have any thread. What are you people using for long exposures (full frame camera owners using ultra wide).

Cheers.

hi mate, i made my own rig and if you look back near the start of this thread I posted up a guide of what it is made of. Might help you, should be near the first few pages.

you are going to struggle without any ND filters if you want to use the rig in daylight. I use a 10-24mm lens and usually an ND8 filter if it is bright. I am only on a crop sensor though.

Hopefully someone can answer your question :)

Well tonight I dusted off the rig and went out, man I am rusty! Haven't used it for a few months. Coupled with the fact it was freezing and I wasn't too happy with the location I did my best :D

Here are my favourite too...

I need to get back into it!

Hi all, first time poster here, after reading the entire thread over the last couple of days.
I was wondering if anyone has had the Manfrotto F1000's fail on them during a shoot? The official load capacity on them is only 2KG, which doesn't sound like a lot. By comparison, the Powrgrip's are rated at 32KG!
I'm looking to make up a rig and don't want to get the wrong thing.
Cheers
Andy

Hi all, first time poster here, after reading the entire thread over the last couple of days.
I was wondering if anyone has had the Manfrotto F1000's fail on them during a shoot? The official load capacity on them is only 2KG, which doesn't sound like a lot. By comparison, the Powrgrip's are rated at 32KG!
I'm looking to make up a rig and don't want to get the wrong thing.
Cheers
Andy

Mine have never budged and my pole / camera is well over 2kg

You have to remember it's not the same as putting upside down and hanging 2kg off, it's leverage etc, so you'd need to work out how much force is being but on the outside cup. Saying that mine have never failed and my camera+lens is 1.5kg alone.

You have to remember it's not the same as putting upside down and hanging 2kg off, it's leverage etc, so you'd need to work out how much force is being but on the outside cup. Saying that mine have never failed and my camera+lens is 1.5kg alone.
Of course. The length of pole has a lot to do with it as well. The longer the pole, the greater the pulling force on the furthest suction cup. I'm sure there's an equation to work it all out :)

I've looked at aluminium flag poles for the pole part of my rig. There's a guy on ebay selling 20ft (6m) poles for about £38, and he says the pole weighs 5kg. Add to that about 1kg for the magic arm and approx 1.5-2kg for the camera and lens.

Andy

Back