The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Ya its technique im still learning im playing tonight. I currently have a 4m pole. 2 manfrotto suction cups clamps n magic arm. Hoping tonights come out better with some tips i got from sduk :)

The car looks about right now, but what's with the background? Is there water on the lens or something? If I look around the streetlight there are lots of blobs which look like water drops. And in the road in the foreground, some is sharp and some is not, it looks odd.

Not a bad amount of space considering your pole is only 4m, and I like all the diagonals.
Andy

The circle things i can only asume its flare from my lens....i have a million and 1 bust bunnies too (getting them sorted asap)

As for the road...ive no idea what ove done right/wrong to get that effect lol. Ya im saving up for a 6m pole like sammys so will be selling my 4m and my first 3m pole :)

Cheers for the feedback.

You are hanging the camera under the pole, I assume, and not above it?
I got a 6.5m flagpole from ebay for £35 :) Does the job, although it's quite wobbly. My photos came out sharp enough, though, see the last page.
Andy

This is my set up.... Ya cams under pole. Im wanting to sell my magic arm and get a double balljoint adaptor :)

So today in baltic temperatures and practically a gale force wind I was shooting an R32. This was the first time I had stacked the ND400 with the CPL filter so I was interested to see how it fared :)

Starting to feel like I am getting better with the new carbon fibre rig and getting used to it :)

Sammy

Here's two from my latest shoot, not the sharpest as they're linked from Facebook.

1795810_717056561697959_1567219577382094052_o.jpg

10683643_717056541697961_3553525535407272074_o.jpg

My rig is sort of up for sale as I'm trying to make the jump to a CCR rig. I know the for sale rules but just a heads up to anyone looking in here.

Nice set of images. Im having ago tonight. What rig do u have? Ive not read the selling rules yet. Lol

great shots, I really am always so impressed by every shot you take @ReinisB. I love the processing.

What rig is it you use? Eventually I will make the step up to a CCR or RigPro boom but not sure what to go for. Much saving to do first though :)

Thanks, Rig-Pro buddy! Rigs don't get a lot of processing - just a lot of cloning :D

thought I would share a BTS shot of the golf above. The vignette is due to stacking the CPL and ND400 whilst shooting as wide as I could go at 10mm. I just removed it in photoshop rather than crop the image...

DSC06714.jpg

also this was the set up for another of the shots I did...

10411328_742880205788223_1766798666111412783_n.jpg

Apologies for the iPhone instagram pic :)

Sammy

thought I would share a BTS shot of the golf above. The vignette is due to stacking the CPL and ND400 whilst shooting as wide as I could go at 10mm. I just removed it in photoshop rather than crop the image...

DSC06714.jpg

also this was the set up for another of the shots I did...

10411328_742880205788223_1766798666111412783_n.jpg

Apologies for the iPhone instagram pic :)

Sammy
Love theres no bow well not much. Ill b upgrading very soon!!

Andy - cheers gotta love a 350z. My mate has one so hoping to rig it up one day!!

I'm not a fan of having houses or other brick buildings as a background. I guess it ruins the illusion of speed, as it's better to imagine the car's speeding down some quiet lane somewhere. But the blue metal building really works, especially with the blue car!
The first and last focus ones are my favourite, I just like the angles.

Andy

Sammy, was that a public road for the A4?

Donnie, not a bad first attempt. I can see from the lights in the distance that your rig is wobbling a lot. You need to calm it down as much as possible before opening the shutter. How long was your exposure? Often a single exposure doesn't give you the best result in all parts of the photo. For example, your road lacks detail and a shorter exposure might have helped, but the buildings on the right aren't moving enough, so a longer exposure would help. All these different settings can be difficult to mix in and keep the camera position the same. What I did on my very first shoot was to place the car on a hill and then use constant exposure settings but as the car sped up the effects on the surroundings were different, so I was able to insert different parts from different images. you can also use one of the exposures before the car starts moving to bring back detail on the car if necessary.

Andy

Andy, the first shots of the A4 were city centre at midnight so the road was empty. The last shot yeah is public and is an access road to the flats down at the docks. The road was mega wide though so could have the A4 and the rig set up and cars could pass easily. Also it was late so the road was quiet :)

How many of you guy's think about lens distortion and the trade off with rig length?

good effort for a first shot! What were your settings? Did you shoot it in RAW?

It has got potential :)

Yes mate, always shoot in raw.

Settings were 5 seconds f29 ISO 1600 shot at 24mm (Sigma 24-70) on a 5d Mark 1 on a flagpole from ebay.

Sammy, was that a public road for the A4?

Donnie, not a bad first attempt. I can see from the lights in the distance that your rig is wobbling a lot. You need to calm it down as much as possible before opening the shutter. How long was your exposure? Often a single exposure doesn't give you the best result in all parts of the photo. For example, your road lacks detail and a shorter exposure might have helped, but the buildings on the right aren't moving enough, so a longer exposure would help. All these different settings can be difficult to mix in and keep the camera position the same. What I did on my very first shoot was to place the car on a hill and then use constant exposure settings but as the car sped up the effects on the surroundings were different, so I was able to insert different parts from different images. you can also use one of the exposures before the car starts moving to bring back detail on the car if necessary.

Andy

Cheers mate, Settings were 5 seconds f29 ISO 1600 shot at 24mm (Sigma 24-70) on a 5d Mark 1 on a flagpole from ebay.

I noticed about the lights in the distance (streetlights showing the pole wobble) I see what you mean re the different exposures, so basically using layers I guess?

Back