The Ultrawide and Fisheye Open Thread

Lots of interesting pictures, but for me often one thing missing, the 35mm equivalent focal length.
A 10mm lens could result in anything between 10mm on a FF camera to 20mm on a M43 camera.
ie is I used 7mm on am M43 camera, I could put it as 7mm (14mm)

I notice early on in the thread the focal length and the camera was usually given, which I liked, but maybe I am the only one interested :)
It would be nice to have such info included but focal length doesn't tell us that much with fisheyes.
There are multiple types of fisheye with very different characteristics (equidistant, orthogonal, stereographic, equisolid, thoby) many lenses being a mix of these theoretical types.
My Hanimex 7mm fisheye (sold for M42) has a smaller image circle & less FOV than my 10-17mm APSC fisheye.

Listing the actual lens & sensor size would be good, especially if these are not in the EXIF.

Hi, all my pics shown in this thread are taken with "FF" (24x36) cameras ... :)

It would be nice to have such info included but focal length doesn't tell us that much with fisheyes.
There are multiple types of fisheye with very different characteristics (equidistant, orthogonal, stereographic, equisolid, thoby) many lenses being a mix of these theoretical types.
My Hanimex 7mm fisheye (sold for M42) has a smaller image circle & less FOV than my 10-17mm APSC fisheye.

Listing the actual lens & sensor size would be good, especially if these are not in the EXIF.
I agree on the fisheye, but it is interesting on the ordinary lens to see, for instance the pictures from Justpix made me wonder about this. The last on of Aldi made me think it looked much wider than 12mm on my X9, but on the one before with the river, just looking at it I can't really tell what it is :)

I do like most of the photos here, so I do have a genuine interest in the focal length.

12mm on FF must be quite a lens!

I agree on the fisheye, but it is interesting on the ordinary lens to see, for instance the pictures from Justpix made me wonder about this. The last on of Aldi made me think it looked much wider than 12mm on my X9, but on the one before with the river, just looking at it I can't really tell what it is :)

I do like most of the photos here, so I do have a genuine interest in the focal length.

12mm on FF must be quite a lens!

Hi, the ALDI pic may appear to be taken by a lens wider than 12mm, but this may be due to the fact that one experiences the wideness induced by the lens of a familiar
environment more strongly.

I have not seen any measurements of the FL of my 12mm VOIGTLÄNDER. - VOIGTLÄNDER had a 10mm lens in their portfolio. I did not buy it, because 12mm is wide
enough (for me).

All my pictures in this thread were taken with my LEICA M9 or my SONY A7R2.

I like both! The uncropped for the top/bottom symmetry and the crop for the use of the thirds. I might be tempted to try another crop, taking the top of the sky off to give a symmetrical letterbox format shot...

I like both! The uncropped for the top/bottom symmetry and the crop for the use of the thirds. I might be tempted to try another crop, taking the top of the sky off to give a symmetrical letterbox format shot...

Hi, here you are :

L1024445_DxO-v12-cc.jpg

(It would be interesting to take a shot at the seaside, with a uniform sky and high waves. Which part would be more interesting then, and should be given more space ?)

Reactions: Nod
There's some great work in this thread.
Here's a couple of holiday snaps taken with a Samyang 7.5mm fisheye on an Olympus EP-1. I guess that makes me an early adopter for mirrorless cameras!

Attachments

• boats.jpg
    boats.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 10
  • street.jpg
    street.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 10
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 10
Hi, a museum colliery in Essen/D ... (SONY A7 - VOIGTLÄNDER 5,6/12) :

DSC09560-a7-1-v12-c.jpg

Many years ago, when I had money to spend, I bought something very gimmicky similar to this -

for the Pentax film camera I was using at the time. From time to time I have tried it with a Pentax DSLR. here is one example, of St Efin's in Warrington

st_elfins_warrington_s.jpg

and the west end

st_elfins_warrington_5a.jpg

A toy really which only comes out very occasionally.

Howard

The steps between Exeter's New Bridge Street and Western Way (Sony A65 / Sigma 10~20mm) ...

Pedestrian steps from Western Way to Bridge Street Exeter A65 DSC03686.JPG

Hasselblad Xpan 35mm Portra 160VC. Taken 2017

Back