The Vintage + Classic Adapted Glass Thread

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
I don't think there's been a thread for adapting old glass to modern cameras? Kind of inspired by the Helios 44 thread, that lens is certainly popular enough to warrant it's own thread, so this is for all else.

Wasn't certain whether to add 'adopted' or 'adapted'? :D people oft get those confused, I think it's adopt a lens to a system, but use an adapter? correct me if I'm wrong.

I know many are adapting old glass these days because mirrorless camera make it so easy. You get benefits that old school film shooters never had with the same glass. We now have the likes of zoom focus, coupled with focus peaking [I know they had focus screens, but now with digital peaking it's even easier to snap to focus] and bonus features like IBIS that can breathe new life into these old classic lenses.

Feel free to recommend any great finds you've discovered, any great bargains you've had? And of course, share your vintage glass images [either of the lenses, or taken images taken with], tell us your set up, and maybe what you love about using these old gems

I received a lovely vintage Vivitar 200mm F4 this morning, sadly I'm still awaiting the MD adapter before I can test it, but the lens is in very good shape and was pretty much a steal at £22 [£36 inc p&p, but still decent] - a cool bonus for me was the lens cap from my 12-40 lens fits! :) as it came without one - it does have it's own built in hood though. Very solid build, the glass is in excellent condition, a few scratches and minor dents here and there on the body but looking down through it with a light I can't see any signs of fungus or haze and barely any secs of dust, very happy with that.

P1010356.jpg P1010361.jpg

I also have a Canon FD mount 50mm f/3.5 macro lens, also a very solid little chunk of steel and glass, also very clean optics. I've been using that one quite a bit and getting decent results. That one was pricier, I traded a Takumar 200 F4 that I paid €80 for it. But they do go for over £100 in good nick on ebay.

Last edited:
Glad this thread has been created, should be really useful and interesting comparing different lenses /system usage.
I’ve recently started to collect a few myself for use with my Fuji X-E2S but as yet haven’t really had time to try them out. I’ve got all M42 fitting ones, mainly Pentax Takumar 55mm f1.8, 135mm f3.5 &200mm f4, a Vivitar Komine Close focus 28mm f2.8 and a Zeiss Jena Zebra 50mm f2.8.
I’ll post some results when I’ve given them a proper test but from what I’ve seen so far with the 55mm, I’m going to enjoy playing around with them.
I like the fact that for a little outlay, you can get a really good focal range that would cost a lot more if using native lenses.
The only problem I’ve found so far is that I keep wanting to add more and more of them!

Thanks for creating this thread. I've been a user of vintage lenses for about a year now (on G80 and OMD10 mk II). Present collection is about 17/18 lenses and I find it difficult to stop buying!
I have 5 Minolta MDs, 4 OM Zuikos, 3 FDs, three M42s (incl Flektogon and the Helios) and the 135mm F3.2 Hexanon. Why I need all these lenses, i simply don't know. in fact, I don't need them all but want to keep them. I have another couple of lenses, sadly damaged & which I'll never get round to repairing.
Recently received/purchased a focal reducer for the MDs and below is one of my first shots with it and the excellent Minolta MD (III) 35-70 "macro". Image taken using the 1:4 macro mode, F5.6, 1/320 and ISO 800.
Posting this photo (which is nothing special) also gives me the opportunity of asking a question concerning Focal Reducers.
My issue is this;
Using MD 35-70 with dumb adapter at 35mm, 50mm and 70mm ranges, when focused (using peaking and zoom), the distance scale on the lens shows roughly what i would consider to be the correct distance of the image I'm focusing on.
When I use the Focal Reducer, everything goes haywire. For an object (say) 50/60 metres away, when focused at 35mm, the distance scale on the lens shows 5/7 metres! At 50mm, the scale shows 10/12 metres and at 70mm, about 20/25m on the scale.
It may just be my unfamilarity with how a Focal reducer works or could it be something wrong with the FR itself? Any help very much appreciated. I just need to understand what's going on.
Anyway, here's the photo mentioned above;
P1210730.jpg

Thanks for putting this thread up Keith , I have aquired quiet a few legacy lenses of late been selling some to . I will post a few pics later tonight after tea and watching the local fireworks display . My two faves at the moment are the vivitar 200mm f3.5 and the Nikkor 50mm f 1.4 ais both lenses are razor sharp and both are keepers. . Just have to be realistic about what I will keep . At the moment both of the keeper lenses are in Nikon mount though I do have some m42 ones to

Last edited:
Great thread!

I don't have a large collection yet (5 so far...) but I'll be acquiring more for sure - value-wise they cannot be beaten, and it's jolly satisfying to get what may have possibly cost hundreds back in the day, for next to nothing today.

My stuff:

Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8
Olympus OM Zuiko 135mm f3.5
Helios 44-2 58mm f2 M42 fit (for the other thread I know)
Vivitar 28mm f2.8 OM fit
Paragon 35mm f2.8 M42 fit

No pics yet....got a trapped nerve in my shoulder, and a gout attack at the moment....which is not fun.

I would like to ask for recommendations for retailers though....not eBay, ...long story!
I've used Harrison Cameras - https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk - and I've been looking at West Yorkshire Cameras too - https://wycameras.com

:)

I've had quite a few. I've also sold quite a few..... :) :D

I still have my Yashica FX-3 body so I have several C/Y fit lenses - Tokina 28-70, Tokina RMC 80-200, ML28, ML50/1.9 & f/2, 2x extender & tubes.
Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4
Helios 44-2

My most used by far (inc Sony FE lenses!) is the CV40/1.4 followed by the ML28 with a tilt adapter.

I have been through & sold........

Yashica ML50/1.4, 50/1.7
Canon FD28/2.8, FD50/1.4, FD50/1.8, FD85/1.8
Helios 77M-4, 135/2.8, 44M-4
Leitz Tele-Elmarit-M 90/2.8 (beautiful!! the only one I wish I still had!)
Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8
Pentacon 50/1.8

Glad this thread has been created, should be really useful and interesting comparing different lenses /system usage.
I’ve recently started to collect a few myself for use with my Fuji X-E2S but as yet haven’t really had time to try them out. I’ve got all M42 fitting ones, mainly Pentax Takumar 55mm f1.8, 135mm f3.5 &200mm f4, a Vivitar Komine Close focus 28mm f2.8 and a Zeiss Jena Zebra 50mm f2.8.
I’ll post some results when I’ve given them a proper test but from what I’ve seen so far with the 55mm, I’m going to enjoy playing around with them.
I like the fact that for a little outlay, you can get a really good focal range that would cost a lot more if using native lenses.
The only problem I’ve found so far is that I keep wanting to add more and more of them!

I had the Takumar F4, also used it on Fuji :) I've thought on the 55 many times, still on my list.

Takumar 200f4.jpg

Posting this photo (which is nothing special) also gives me the opportunity of asking a question concerning Focal Reducers.
My issue is this;
Using MD 35-70 with dumb adapter at 35mm, 50mm and 70mm ranges, when focused (using peaking and zoom), the distance scale on the lens shows roughly what i would consider to be the correct distance of the image I'm focusing on.
When I use the Focal Reducer, everything goes haywire. For an object (say) 50/60 metres away, when focused at 35mm, the distance scale on the lens shows 5/7 metres! At 50mm, the scale shows 10/12 metres and at 70mm, about 20/25m on the scale.
It may just be my unfamilarity with how a Focal reducer works or could it be something wrong with the FR itself? Any help very much appreciated. I just need to understand what's going on.
Anyway, here's the photo mentioned above;
View attachment 137863

Not sure which FR you use, but I do know that many had issues with the Viltrox EF FR adapters when it came to infinity focus, someone figured out that to get it to do so you had to turn the glass element a quarter turn clockwise - or something like that. Could be a similar issue here?

Thanks for putting this thread up Keith , I have aquired quiet a few legacy lenses of late been selling some to . I will post a few pics later tonight after tea and watching the local fireworks display . My two faves at the moment are the vivitar 200mm f3.5 and the Nikkor 50mm f 1.4 ais both lenses are razor sharp and both are keepers. . Just have to be realistic about what I will keep . At the moment both of the keeper lenses are in Nikon mount though I do have some m42 ones to

I really hoped the adapter for my Vivitar would be here for the weekend, not to be though. Pretty slow of the seller considering they charged £10 for p&p for a little piece of steel

despite having other more modern macro lenses I often use a old Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 macro on my Pentax gear.

It gives a totally different look to pictures which I quite like and I have ordered an adapter to use it on my Canon M5

Lens

Vivitar 105mm f2.5 Series 1 Macro lens
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Spider
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickruple of sample shots.

Bee on Heather

Nice, I am a sucker for a nice macro lens, does this one do 1:1? or is it 1:2, many old macro lenses are 1:2 and with extenders/adapters they can achieve 1:1

I've had quite a few. I've also sold quite a few..... :) :D

I still have my Yashica FX-3 body so I have several C/Y fit lenses - Tokina 28-70, Tokina RMC 80-200, ML28, ML50/1.9 & f/2, 2x extender & tubes.
Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4
Helios 44-2

My most used by far (inc Sony FE lenses!) is the CV40/1.4 followed by the ML28 with a tilt adapter.

I have been through & sold........

Yashica ML50/1.4, 50/1.7
Canon FD28/2.8, FD50/1.4, FD50/1.8, FD85/1.8
Helios 77M-4, 135/2.8, 44M-4
Leitz Tele-Elmarit-M 90/2.8 (beautiful!! the only one I wish I still had!)
Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8
Pentacon 50/1.8

I've heard good things about Yashica 50mm lenses, how do they compare in comparison to the Canon FD 50s?

I've heard good things about Yashica 50mm lenses, how do they compare in comparison to the Canon FD 50s?

Of all the Yashica ML50's I had, the f/1.9 was my favourite. It's also the smallest/lightest :)

I can't knock the FD's. They were of similar sharpness, feel, weight, size.... I did just prefer the images from the ML50/1.9

You wouldn't go far wrong with either imo.

Time to wheel out my cherished Kilfitt Pan-Tele-Kilar 300/4 again. Produced in 1958 at Heinz Kilfitt's Munich factory. It covers a 90mm image circle and is a multi-mount lens whereby the back end of the barrel can be unscrewed and replaced with any of a variety of mounts. Not as clinical as modern 300/4's although acceptable nontheless. Main focussing is accomplished by a rack and pinion setup and this can be augmented by the ftont helicoid for fine adjustment or close focus.

p544770192-4.jpg

p996759474-4.jpg

A few from over the years with various adapted glass:

Vivitar Series 1 70-210:
Hex petal by K G, on Flickr

Minolta 50mm 1.7 [it's on a Sony A200, but you could still call it adopted, this one is still popular today]
drip in motion by K G, on Flickr

SMC Takumar 200mm F4
Blue tit by K G, on Flickr

Helios 44-2
Summer's end by K G, on Flickr

Canon FD 50mm 3.5
Calm by K G, on Flickr

ATm I have adapters for Canon FD and M42 with a Minolta MD on the way, so any recommendations for those mounts I'll check out

Time to wheel out my cherished Kilfitt Pan-Tele-Kilar 300/4 again. Produced in 1958 at Heinz Kilfitt's Munich factory. It covers a 90mm image circle and is a multi-mount lens whereby the back end of the barrel can be unscrewed and replaced with any of a variety of mounts. Not as clinical as modern 300/4's although acceptable nontheless. Main focussing is accomplished by a rack and pinion setup and this can be augmented by the ftont helicoid for fine adjustment or close focus.

p544770192-4.jpg

p996759474-4.jpg

I love those unique looking lenses! You certainly don't get anything like that today

I often use old lenses but I also often forget which lens I used to take which picture.

I hope I don't miss any...
Minolta Rokkor 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 45mm f2, 50mm f1.7, f1.4 and f1.2, 85mm f2, 135mm f2.8. Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro. Tokina 70-210mm. Vivitar 20mm f3.5. Tokina 17mm f3.5.
Olympus Zuiko 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, 85mm f2, 135mm f3.5.
Canon FD 28 and 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and f1.4, 85mm f1.8. Miranda 24mm f2.8.
Nikon pre ai 35mm f2.8, 50mm f2 and f1.4.

My Nikon pre ai 50mm f2 is a current favorite. I like the colours and shapes in this picture and the little fly just below the centre.

1-DSC01961.jpg

The Minolta 45mm f2 is a nice lens, it's light and compact, sharp from wide open and it has nice colour, contrast and bokeh. It's cheap too...

1-DSC08690.jpg

One favourite is the Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 as it's a bit of a dual personality lens being a bit funky wide open but when stopped down it's just a nice old lens.

1-DSC06100.jpg

Last edited:

p544770192-4.jpg

p996759474-4.jpg
I’m very jealous, this lens looks amazing.
I’m in the market for a decent 300mm lens but this is way out of my price range I’m afraid to say.
Do you have any realistically priced options at all?

My collection of legacy glass started when I was working house clearouts in the U.S. Someone was throwing away (among every item in the house; a regular occurance for me; so wasteful) some lenses, and were happy for me to take them for free. They were

Rokkor 58/1.4 MC
Zuiko 40/2
Zuiko 135/3.5
Tamron 70-210/3.5 (19AH)
Tamron SP x2 tele converter

I have also aquired since then,

Tamron 35-80/2.8-3.8
Minolta 50/1.7
Minolta 100/2.8 Soft Focus
Zuiko 300/4.5

All great lenses, except the Zuiko 135/3.5 which is nothing special.

I highly recommend the Zuiko 40, Tamron 70-210, Tamron 35-80, Minolta 50 and Minolta 100 SF.

31813505388_532d610d45_c.jpg

Tamron 70-210/3.5 (19AH).

Last edited:
My collection of legacy glass started when I was working house clearouts in the U.S. Someone was throwing away (among every item in the house; a regular occurance for me; so wasteful) some lenses, and were happy for me to take them for free. They were

Tamron 70-210/3.5 (19AH)

I have one of these, the Adaptall lenses were a great idea and the SP versions are very good even today.

I also have:

SP 17mm F/3.5
SP 90mm macro F/2.5
SP 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8
SP 70-150mm F/2.8 SOFT

Nice, I am a sucker for a nice macro lens, does this one do 1:1? or is it 1:2, many old macro lenses are 1:2 and with extenders/adapters they can achieve 1:1

1:1 ... I also have a 90mm Tamron Adaptall which is 1:2 or 1:1 with it's adapter.

Shot of my mums dog many years ago ... 70-210mm f/3.5 19AH

Jack The s***zu

Last edited:
Another from me. This is the picture that got me into using film era lenses on mirrorless cameras. It was taken with a very cheap Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 MC and I like it a lot :D I'd used a couple of film lenses on my 5D but focusing wasn't easy but on my Panasonic G1 it was a breeze.

Yszzdkh.jpg

I’m in the market for a decent 300mm lens but this is way out of my price range I’m afraid to say.

Just looked it up there, and yup, it's certainly not cheap! I won't add that one to my list so ... :D

I have one of these, the Adaptall lenses were a great idea and the SP versions are very good even today.

I also have:

SP 17mm F/3.5
SP 90mm macro F/2.5
SP 35-80mm F/2.8-3.8
SP 70-150mm F/2.8 SOFT

1:1 ... I also have a 90mm Tamron Adaptall which is 1:2 or 1:1 with it's adapter.

Shot of my mums dog many years ago ... 70-210mm f/3.5 19AH

Jack The s***zu

Nice doggy :)

The Canon macro I have is just 1:2, there is an original adapter for it that brings it to 1:1 but mine didn't come with. What I do is attach a Raynox 250, this pushes it just above 1:1 and works pretty well with no noticeable loss in IQ. I would like a little more working distance though, at 1:1 using this method, I am pretty damn close to the subject, luckily it's got a well recessed front element - pretty much has it's own built in hood - there's a little oil on the aperture blades but it's never caused any issues, if anything helps them open and close smoother

P1000905.jpg

Another from me. This is the picture that got me into using film era lenses on mirrorless cameras. It was taken with a very cheap Minolta Rokkor 55mm f1.7 MC and I like it a lot :D I'd used a couple of film lenses on my 5D but focusing wasn't easy but on my Panasonic G1 it was a breeze.

Yszzdkh.jpg

It's got that quirky bokeh a bit like the Helios 44-2, I like that, adds nice character IMO. I was always sorry I sold on my copy of the Helios, was in real nice condition. I didn't even have it advertised, the guy who came to buy my CZJ 135 3.5 made an offer when I showed it to him. He offered more than I had paid so I thought why not. I may well buy another, though I do fancy one of these Minolta 50/55, have you used the 1.4?

Speaking of the Carl Zeiss Jena 135, forgot to add that one in earlier. I sold it with the intention of buying a faster 135, but never did get around to it.

New visitor by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
vivitar 200mm f3.5 plus Panasonic g80 hand held . thought I heard someone say you can't do b.i.f with manual focus and his mate said you cant do b.i.f with MFT cameras oh dear s*** appens :banana::banana::banana::banana:

manual focus no.3 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

manual focus no.2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

manual focus no.4 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I can't wait to try this lens, annoying to have it right here and not be able to do so - hopefully I haven't ordered from a dud seller because I emailed them this morn asking why the tracking number suggests it's not even in transit yet :( and no response yet. I ordered the lens same day and that's here. It was a UK seller too, I would have got same adapter from China for 1/4 the money

Last edited:
Last edited:
I love those unique looking lenses! You certainly don't get anything like that today
It's beautifully engineered and everything works as well as the day it left the factory in its customised wooden box with test detailed certificates.

I have six 300/4's if I include the current Canon version. The Kilfitt, Pentax 67 M*, Meyer Pentacon, CZJ Sonnar and a Pentax FA-645. I took a some comparison shots with the Canon on a 5DSR and the others on a Pentax 645Z....so 50Mp+/- for the lot. The scene shot and 100% crops of each are in this gallery (lens details under the image if it's off your screen. 300/4 lens tests
The Canon and Pentax lenses probably take the podium places but the others don't do too badly considering their age and the fact that 100% crops from 50Mp is quiet a harsh test.

Bob

Last edited:
You done well, seems to average £50 on ebay
Don't search under the lens look at old praktica cameras, keep your eye out you will find one in a week or two.:)

I think that the bubble bokeh often gets used for the wrong subject type but this is ideal fodder for a Trioplan or similar design.
I think they are great used for the right subject.

Interesting thread :)

This was with an old Sigma 300mm f4 on a Fuji X-T1. When I first got the lens it had some haze/fungus but I noticed recently that either leaving in the sun or just being in a better environment has cleared the glass, so I need to use it again...

RNAS Yeovilton 2014
by JJ_Glos, on Flickr

And another:

RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2014
by JJ_Glos, on Flickr

Interesting thread :)

This was with an old Sigma 300mm f4 on a Fuji X-T1. When I first got the lens it had some haze/fungus but I noticed recently that either leaving in the sun or just being in a better environment has cleared the glass, so I need to use it again...

RNAS Yeovilton 2014
by JJ_Glos, on Flickr

And another:

RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2014
by JJ_Glos, on Flickr

For the brave this one, or if it's a lens that cost buttons to begin with:

UV light apparently kills or at least discourages fungus growth too. For lenses that have recovered, or have yet to suffer, silica gel packs are your best friend. Just pack a couple in with each lens, prevents condensation and in turn any nasty little fungi

Last edited:
I think they are great used for the right subject.

Same. The Helios 44 series for example, famous for it's 'swirly bokeh' - which was actually a manufacturing fault to begin with, but is sought after today. As I said earlier, there is a whole thread dedicated to that series of lenses alone that inspired this one. I had that lens for a while, and it was fun when you got it to play ball, it's all about finding the right distance between subject and background:

Helios 44-2, 58mm F2 on the Fuji X-T1 here
Irish winter weather report 2017 by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Same. The Helios 44 series for example, famous for it's 'swirly bokeh' - which was actually a manufacturing fault to begin with, but is sought after today. As I said earlier, there is a whole thread dedicated to that series of lenses alone that inspired this one. I had that lens for a while, and it was fun when you got it to play ball, it's all about finding the right distance between subject and background:

Helios 44-2, 58mm F2 on the Fuji X-T1 here
Irish winter weather report 2017 by K G, on Flickr

That's very "Petzvalesque" It's quite bizzar to think that the Helios "suffered" from the same aberrations as Petzval's original design despite being 120 years younger.

On the cusp of being vintage (around 30 years old) is the Pentax 67 M* 300/4 ED IF which was the final corrected version of the earlier 300/4's. Things were improving rapidly in the late 80's but still an achievement to produce a lens like this with a 90mm image circle.

p2517230947-3.jpg

p2517236168-4.jpg

I had the Takumar F4, also used it on Fuji :) I've thought on the 55 many times, still on my list.

View attachment 137881

Not sure which FR you use, but I do know that many had issues with the Viltrox EF FR adapters when it came to infinity focus, someone figured out that to get it to do so you had to turn the glass element a quarter turn clockwise - or something like that. Could be a similar issue here?
Hi Keith. thanks.
It's a Zhonghyi Lens Turbo II.
Since posting, I've found just a few comments on another forum suggesting that FRs can often play havoc with the distance scales on old manual lenses. And although I don't understand the science behind the comments, apparently the wider the lens the more it is likely to be "out" and zooms are worse than primes.
Over the weekend, I'm going to try the FR with my MD 28mm, 50mm and 70-210s. If I can show that all distance scales are not reading correctly and that the longer focal lengths are not as bad as the shorter lengths, then at least I'll be content that there's nothing wrong with the FR.
I have also read that you can adjust infinity settings on some FRs. However, not so on the Lens Turbo II apparently. That said, some chap on-line reckoned he'd disassembled his LTII including ungluing/regluing some components! I'm not in that league.
Stuart

A quick photo from my Helios 44m after cleaning. Having diassembeld the whole thing and put it back together again (I think it was my first effort with the lens spanner), i was keen to take a few shots to make sure I hadn't b-------- anything up.
Anyway, this photo wasn't given much thought or time but i do like the colours.
Next task is to try out the Helios on my new Focal reducer.

P1130250.jpg

Back