The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mail on Sunday are blaming the EU for infecting Boris (specifically Barnier). Rather than the fact he was boasting about shaking hands with Corona virus patients...
Don't worry, Andy - apparently "Rishi 'Dishy' Sunak is the voters choice to stand in for Boris Johnson".

Don't worry, Andy - apparently "Rishi 'Dishy' Sunak is the voters choice to stand in for Boris Johnson".
That‘s why Bojo wants to come back to work early — to cough near Sunak :). I’m a bit worried about all these letter Bono is sending out to us — is he licking the flaps/stamps :).

Actually, joking apart, maybe the letter will help the spread of virus, if the postman has the bug, to people who are not getting any post :(

Now that so many are in "lock down" and we are all frantically washing our hands, it would be interesting to see if there is a reduction in other bacteria and viral infections when compared against trends for the same period in past years?

Regarding risks and numbers of deaths in U.K.. David Spiegelhalter* on BBC More or Less on 25th (first part of programme) & particularly 28th March is worth listening to.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p087n42r
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p087x9sf

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Spiegelhalter
David Spiegelhalter is very good - heard him give an excellent talk at a cancer conference a few years ago. Here he sets out his take on this in a blog post:

https://SPAM/wintoncentre/how-much-normal-risk-does-covid-represent-4539118e1196

His calculations are based on Neil Ferguson's estimates of the infection fatality ratio, the same ones used in the model that is informing the government. There are still substantial uncertainties about the true IFR, of course. Hopefully serological surveys will help make these estimates more accurate in the near future.

Now that so many are in "lock down" and we are all frantically washing our hands, it would be interesting to see if there is a reduction in other bacteria and viral infections when compared against trends for the same period in past years?
I did read that there had been a fall in stomach bugs and food poisoning.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-boris-johnsons-letter-to-the-nation-in-full-11965165

I'm sorry but this is just a huge waste of money and resources at a time when the NHS is crying out for equipment, people are worried how they will survive this and our Prime Minister the leader of the country thinks? OK lets send everyone a letter, what a complete and utter waste. They estimate the cost at £5 million the postage alone would be £19.5 million never mind the cost of paper ink and envelopes. Glad to see they have got their priorities right.

If it has reduced other illnesses, I wonder if people will be smart enough to keep their hygiene standards high? Hope so.

The Mail on Sunday are blaming the EU for infecting Boris (specifically Barnier). Rather than the fact he was boasting about shaking hands with Corona virus patients...

And there I was thinking that the Free Trade Agreement between the E.U. and the U.K. was going to cover goods and services, not viruses.

Glad to see they have got their priorities right.
Perhaps on the back are instructions describing how to turn the letter into a face mask? :exit:

That‘s why Bojo wants to come back to work early — to cough near Sunak :). I’m a bit worried about all these letter Bono is sending out to us — is he licking the flaps/stamps :).

Actually, joking apart, maybe the letter will help the spread of virus, if the postman has the bug, to people who are not getting any post :(
Only a couple of days ago the Postal workers union were pleading for a reduction in the amount of 'non-essential' mail being sent out, clearly the Government have listened intently by adding 30m letters to their workload.

David Spiegelhalter is very good - heard him give an excellent talk at a cancer conference a few years ago. Here he sets out his take on this in a blog post:

https://SPAM/wintoncentre/how-much-normal-risk-does-covid-represent-4539118e1196

His calculations are based on Neil Ferguson's estimates of the infection fatality ratio, the same ones used in the model that is informing the government. There are still substantial uncertainties about the true IFR, of course. Hopefully serological surveys will help make these estimates more accurate in the near future.
You possibly know, but he’s fairly frequently on More Or Less, probably my favourite podcast (I don’t listen to the radio any more and there‘s often extra stuff on the podcasts) probably because I have ‘dabbled’ in statistics in the distant past :).

Last edited:
They should have read Leviticus on self-isolation: 'All the days wherein the plague shall be in him he shall be defiled; he is unclean: he shall dwell alone; without the camp shall his habitation be.'

How come you know that ?

UK fatalities rise by 209 in one day
Here's a little more detail on the news that 1,228 people have died in the UK since the outbreak began.
The latest figures show there have been a further 209 deaths over the past 24 hours. That's slightly lower than Saturday's rise of 260.
The vast majority of those - 190 - have come in England.
Wales has reported 10 new deaths, there have been a further six in Northern Ireland, and one in Scotland.
The Department of Health and Social care said there were now 19,522 confirmed

I would think that would be a likely outcome: less contact, less spread. This would be most clearly manifested between the people or their family members with weakest immune systems and those normally in contact with the most amount of people. Think of busy public transport users or school teachers and care workers.

Don't forget you can still eat bad or contaminated food, and likewise develop non-infectious diseases like heart failures just the same,

I'm thinking thats a running total, and not necessarily over 24hrs. While I really hope that its a true figure, considering there were 1000 deaths in 3 days it seems unlikely..
Probably just the timing of data release. It's 7.30 AM Sunday on the west coast right now.

I'm thinking thats a running total, and not necessarily over 24hrs. While I really hope that its a true figure, considering there were 1000 deaths in 3 days it seems unlikely.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/29/health/us-coronavirus-wrap-sunday/index.html

Edit, Using that table Italy and France have reported no deaths which is almost certainly not going to be the case.
It's not a case of reporting no deaths, it is a case of not having reported their deaths etc yet.
I have been following that site for a week or so and have never known the figures to change once submitted until the next set are submitted the following day.

It's not a case of reporting no deaths, it is a case of not having reported their deaths etc yet.
I have been following that site for a week or so and have never known the figures to change once submitted until the next set are submitted the following day.
Hmm, so you're saying there'll be 10 deaths the US today? I think that extremely unlikely. I'm sorry I don't believe that to be a 24hr figure.

Hmm, so you're saying there'll be 10 deaths the US today? I think that extremely unlikely. I'm sorry I don't believe that to be a 24hr figure.
It had risen to 25 about 10 minutes ago, just checked it a minute ago and it is now 107. I thought the idea was that each country reported their figures at a given time not keep updating throughout the day, that's why some countries haven't updated since yesterday.

It looks like each US state releases the data for the day separately, and not necessarily at the same time. Worldometer is then working out the total for everything received so far (within the US, and globally as other countries report).

It's not a terrible idea to remove all envelopes or parcel packaging and chuck them straight in the bin, then wash your hands. Since we already know what's in this one, no need to open it first!

There is just so much BS and hatred and misinfo I want to throw up. That's pretty much why we have corvid unleashed. There you go I've just said it. And the more it goes on the worse it will get next time, and there will be next time.
One good point you figured out was a very careless decision by the Pope to send unprotected priests to catch virus and die. That's stupid and reckless, I only hope it wasn't intentional. The need to consider using hazmat suits in that case. However their services are absolutely vital and necessary. Denying a dying person sacraments is an absolutely horrible thing to do. I just needs to be organised safely for everyone.

Ok. I can see you're somewhat aggrieved. To help me better understand your response could you be specific about what is the 'BS -hatred-and misinformation' in my post and I'll take a look those points and get back to you.

Also, you seem to be entertaining the idea that the Pope might have intentionally urged priests to visit COVID-19 patients. "I only hope it wasn't intentional" you wrote and I don't understand why you've written "There you go,I've just said it " as if it was something you shouldn't really be saying. I anticipated I might get some irate response(s) to my post, people don't like their religion being brought into question in any way which includes criticism of its actions or as we've seen re child abuse, lack of action. I'm talking about any denomination, by the way.

Another issue. When you say 'the more it goes on the worse it will get next time...what is the 'it' you're referring to. ? I understood you meant COVID-19 until you wrote..'next time.'

I'd also like to know from you why you claim that "That's pretty much why we have corvid unleashed " in relation to your first sentence. I don't see the connection.

Re Sacraments (of Penance ?) Doesn't that involves anointing first the head then the hand with oil or maybe just the dying person's confessions ? I defer to you on that one.

I appreciate the value the dying of your faith put on having their priest or a priest to carry out that ritual but unfortunately the extreme condition of patients caused by this virus negates that. The hospitals won't even let a family member attend, a spouse most likely, let alone a priest. I haven't read of anyone dying at home so the scenario is a hospital and to quote you again..'organising it properly' isn't an option so this policy renders your suggestion, that priests wear a hazmat suit, redundant but here's what Dr Ashish K Jha, Director of the Harvard Global Health Institute has to say on that matter. "The suits are about as effective as cocaine or garlic in the fight against coronavirus. It's fun but from a safety and hygiene point of view it's a little bit of a disaster"

However, all is not lost because the Vatican, in the form of the Apostolic Penitentiary, has looked at this situation regarding hospitals and ruled that.. quote..'In places hard hit by the virus a blanket absolution can be offered (it's covered by the 'times of grave need' exemption) It goes on to say that 'a priest or bishop, for example ,who is unable to enter a hospital should use the amplification of the voice so that the absolution may be heard". Have they thought that through ? I get an image of a priest/bishop standing outside a hospital shouting an absolution through a megaphone. I'll resist the temptation to put an appropriate emoji/emoticon as I feel you think that you been offended enough already. Having seen tv footage of patients in a Italian/Spanish hospitals I doubt they hear the medical staff let alone a voice from a megaphone outside the building. I checked exactly what an absolution is too. 'Formal release from guilt, obligation or punishment' and I have to say that it's widely accepted (not amongst Catholicks of course) that it uses guilt as a form of control but that's another issue for another day..or maybe not.

As I say at the top of my response, hopefully, you'll respond for the reason I outlined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back