The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we seen the figures on sales of hand cream? If people are washing their hands correctly there should be an uptick in sales :).

The hand wash we've got is moisturising. Not perfect but better than normal soap. I am using O'Keefe's hand cream as well though but only once a day.

Have we seen the figures on sales of hand cream? If people are washing their hands correctly there should be an uptick in sales :).

Ah,Yes...my wife said that the antibacterial gel dries the hands so that made me feel better that we couldn't get any..lol.

I was under the impression that self employed could claim upto £2.5k dependent on their previous years income, the same as employers can claim for their furloughed employees.
Self employed can claim (according to www.gov.uk website) :

Taxable grant of 80% of the average profits from the tax years (where applicable):

• 2016 to 2017
  • 2017 to 2018
  • 2018 to 2019
To work out the average HMRC will add together the total trading profit for the 3 tax years (where applicable) then divide by 3 (where applicable), and use this to calculate a monthly amount.

It will be up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for 3 months.

They will pay the grant directly into the claimants bank account, in one instalment.

This FT article from yesterday shows the lack of communication between the Construction Leadership Council and the construction industry, which actually partners it, leading to confusion. about working on building sites . Conflicting advice and retraces by HMG have contributed to confusion generally. Schools had it, the advice to the elderly re going out back in March.Advice by the chief scientific advisor not to take ibuprofen as it makes COVID-19 worse which was in conflict with the advice by NHS England given out the day before (16th March) Most recently issues with police oversight of travel. In defence of HMG I suppose with these times being unprecedented it's a case of two steps forwards..Ooops..one step back. It's like being on a l perpetual learning curve. I suppose it's all moving fast too. It seems to me that the weak link is co-ordination and liaising with those concerned and shouldn't there be people at the top ensuring the departments are singing off the same song sheet ?

https://www.ft.com/content/465042ca-e6a1-475c-a021-fd81e68ab4e3

The hand wash we've got is moisturising. Not perfect but better than normal soap. I am using O'Keefe's hand cream as well though but only once a day.
Surely the deaths per million population is more relevant? Though we’d still be 6th :(. Though that arguably biases the China figure if most were in one city/province.

Last edited:
This FT article from yesterday shows the lack of communication between the Construction Leadership Council and the construction industry, which actually partners it, leading to confusion. about working on building sites . Conflicting advice and retraces by HMG have contributed to confusion generally. Schools had it, the advice to the elderly re going out back in March.Advice by the chief scientific advisor not to take ibuprofen as it makes COVID-19 worse which was in conflict with the advice by NHS England given out the day before (16th March) Most recently issues with police oversight of travel. In defence of HMG I suppose with these times being unprecedented it's a case of two steps forwards..Ooops..one step back. It's like being on a l perpetual learning curve. I suppose it's all moving fast too. It seems to me that the weak link is co-ordination and liaising with those concerned and shouldn't there be people at the top ensuring the departments are singing off the same song sheet ?

https://www.ft.com/content/465042ca-e6a1-475c-a021-fd81e68ab4e3
It’s difficult to blame anyone for the steps they are taking at present (except the likes of Trump) in an evolving situation. They can definitely be criticised for slowness to react and for historic lack of planning/preparation for a foreseeable problem :(.

Surely the deaths per million population is more relevant? Though we’d still be 6th :(. Though that arguably biases the China figure if most were in one city/province.
Yes, comparisons are tricky. The US doesn't look so bad by that measure, but they obviously have some terrible regional outbreaks, like the one in New York (as we do in London).

Yes, comparisons are tricky. The US doesn't look so bad by that measure, but they obviously have some terrible regional outbreaks, like the one in New York (as we do in London).
What would be even more telling would be the number of people infected and recovered that never required any care. By the sounds of it these potential antibody tests sound a long way off. Yet it is difficult to know how we can as a nation come out from lockdown situations without these tests.

Weather forecast is fir a sunny and warm weekend, so imo if a lot of folk decide to come out then the UK should be in a total lockdown and the Army to come in and enforce the rules.

I doubt weekends make a lot of difference at the moment with people not working and we have had a couple of warm sunny days already

I doubt weekends make a lot of difference at the moment with people not working and we have had a couple of warm sunny days already
already got the crap stirrers moaning about the caravans pouring in to north Wales ,I checked the live web cams and sod all there

I'll be keeping an eagle eye on the new cases. When the new case numbers begin to drop that could suggest that the lockdown has had effect. Death rate reduction should be about 3 weeks after that.
It is hard to guess how major population centres will fare. If 50% of people in London stayed indoors there would still be lots of opportunity for the virus to spread.

If you're wondering why the PHE haven't got their finger out and authorised release of antibody tests yet, whether they have been 'bought' or not, a little bird whispered on the grapevine that they don't work very well and aren't reliable. While there are some aspects of PHE that make me less than a fan, they are very very careful to make sure something works properly.

If you're wondering why the PHE haven't got their finger out and authorised release of antibody tests yet, whether they have been 'bought' or not, a little bird whispered on the grapevine that they don't work very well and aren't reliable. While there are some aspects of PHE that make me less than a fan, they are very very careful to make sure something works properly.
I'm sure I remember Matt Hancock saying that some they'd tested were only something like 25% accurate.

Absolutely, but I wouldn't be telling everyone about the millions we had bought until we were clear they worked either

When even the Torygraph is putting the boot in

"Government has bought no Covid-19 home testing kits despite Matt Hancock's claim millions had been purchased"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...bought-no-covid-19-home-testing-kits-despite/

Politicians have always deceived, spoken double speak, twisted the truth to breaking point and put out so much spin that it’s threatened to alter the earths rotational speed.

But if you broke out your electron microscope, you could find a degree of half truth in their opaque statements.

Alas, those were ‘the good old days’ as not a single particle of truth is required in the modern politician. You can lie, lie and lie to your hearts content. Why, you can even emblazon your lies on public transport, no one cares and the few fact checkers are dismissed.

We shouldn’t be surprised that the man who insisted that he wouldn’t stand for the proroguing of parliament, now lies in the service of the man who prorogued parliament.

Absolutely, but I wouldn't be telling everyone about the millions we had bought until we were clear they worked either

Pressure to be seen to be getting something done was probably enough, and he's not likely to have any idea about assay development processes. Someone probably made HMG aware that China was producing kits and 'if we were quick' then we could buy some. Not all Chinese assay stuff is bad, but it's often impossible to know before you try them, and in a situation like this any straw is going to be clutched. If you could get the country back to work 1 day earlier by buying some possibly shonky assays from China then you'd easily save the cost of those tests if they worked (LFDs usually go for about $1/test, so assuming these are 10X that, £30M would be good value to save the costs of Britain shut down for 1 day).

There are some good kits coming: from a big Italian diagnostics company, possibly also from a small British company (I hope they're a bit quicker than they were with their Dengue assay) and a number of others.

Just... wow. It's like all those bad 80's distopian movies come true.
The insane we always have with us but the internet lets them spread their madness further and faster than ever before. :(

Broadband engineers threatened due to 5G coronavirus conspiracies

'EE suspects telephone mast engulfed by fire in Birmingham was an arson attack as celebrities claim Covid-19 caused by new network'

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...threatened-due-to-5g-coronavirus-conspiracies
We can fine people for putting chalk lines on pavements, walking in the countryside yet nothing can be done with these ‘celebrities’ who spread this stuff? A night in the cells might cause them to think again. :).

So blocking 5g will slow them down then. ;)
Indeed. It's a case of "place foot on table, point gun at foot, pull trigger". (y)

“The Trump administration changed the Strategic National Stockpile website's description of the program yesterday after White House adviser Jared Kushner falsely claimed that the medical-supply stockpile is not meant to be used to help states.”

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...r-states/?comments=1&sort=insightful#comments

Why? It is claimed Trump is selling Federal supplies to private companies who then sell them to the States. If true, is beyond criminal :(.

The Telegraph is being very critical of the government at the moment, there’s a steady stream of negative articles. It seems their golden boy has lost some of his shine.
The Telegraph”s owners are falling out with each other aren’t they? Perhaps they are losing their grip. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back