The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see it has its uses if you cannot find a place to wash your hands........ for example after having visited a supermarket or shopping centre & before getting into your car & potentially 'contaminating' the car?
I agree, but you’d only need 1 bottle per person to do that, which probably wouldn’t result in shortage. Have you seen the pictures of people in Sydney with trolleys piled high with loo paper — must be s***ting themselves with fear of virus ;) .

Unfortunately it doesn't look like this list has been updated, as of yesterday number has increased to 51. But I can't find where are new confirmed cases.

This, unfortunately from the Sun, page does suggest its map and contents will be kept up to date:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10801702/coronavirus-uk-tracker-cases-map/

It is easy to make your own.

get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, mix it to 70% with water, Put it in a spray bottle.

if you want a gel. Add gelatine. (By diluting it with the 30% water mix)

if you want it smell nice, put some perfume in, although a waste of money.

There’s no antibacterial gel in Morrisons , as you’d expect but all the paracetamol has gone,too..lol

Flew from Brisbane to Cairns on Sunday.

2 Americans next to me took great pains to use a wipe to clean both of there entire seat areas, trays etc ..... and then offered me the used wipe to do mine! :puke:

I declined ....

Do they do this everywhere I wonder ..... what if they have to use the toilet? Maybe their entire hand luggage is full of wipes and gel?

Last edited:
Good news for kids, not so good for the elderly:
CFR-stats.jpg

2 Americans next to me took great pains to use a wipe to clean both of there entire seat areas, trays etc ..... and then offered me the used wipe to do mine! :puke:

I do think people are getting paranoid now, it won't be long before all the shops are cleared as soon as they get a delivery

All this washing your hands bit, how can that work, as soon as you touch something you are contaminated again, unless you throw everything in the washing machines as soon as you get home

I'm sure a lot of stuff has changed over the years, this was early 70's - 80's

I started working in labs in '79, and it was IMS then. The change to IPA happened in the late 90's/early 2000's. Although it can be bought carefylly filtered etc for labs, we buy 25L drums form a fibreglass supplier.

Today I heard that it can be transferred from bank notes so I’m thinking of the 262,637 punters that attended in 2018 so it could be expected about the same attend this year although I wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers were well down due to fears of contagion. I’m thinking not so much about the fee paid at the entrance but the money exchanged at the bar, catering services and not least the bookmakers who have stands all around the place.

I see Betfair Exchange are offering bets on whether it will go ahead or not. The mind boggles.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co....cheltenham-festival-races-coronavirus-3888426

I do think people are getting paranoid now, it won't be long before all the shops are cleared as soon as they get a delivery

All this washing your hands bit, how can that work, as soon as you touch something you are contaminated again, unless you throw everything in the washing machines as soon as you get home
It’s difficult. Even in hospitals, you go to the loo, wash your hands and then have to turn of the tap (OK if lever but many are not) and the you have to open the door ... without touching the handle. The only solution to the last is if there’s a hand sanitizer (working) outside :( .

Flew from Brisbane to Cairns on Sunday.

I declined ....

Do they do this everywhere I wonder ..... what if they have to use the toilet? Maybe their entire hand luggage is full of wipes and gel?

why the sad face? It’s good practice honestly you have no idea who used it before you.

errrrr yeah...

I hand sanitiser every time I went through a set of doors. Every time I pressed a button in a lift, before every meal.

of course it is less of a problem if you live in the countryside and drive your own car to and from work. If I am on London on public transport I would be washing my hands religiously as I was in Seoul.

It’s difficult. Even in hospitals, you go to the loo, wash your hands and then have to turn of the tap (OK if lever but many are not) and the you have to open the door ... without touching the handle. The only solution to the last is if there’s a hand sanitizer (working) outside :( .

you grab a piece of tissue to dry your hand and then use that to open the door, then throw it away.

Virtually every public toilet in my area has hand dryers instead of paper towels, so you'll need to bring your own tissues.

The soap bit of the antibacterial handwash will help reduce the transmission of the virus (and others)

So will soap.

We have paper towel dispensers as well as hand dryers in the toilets at work. Just grab a couple of extra towels after drying hands and use the towels to protect your hands when opening the door. Dispose of paper towels in the bin outside.

Alternatively slip on a pair of nitrile gloves, ours at work come in a lovely shade of light blue or bright orange. :)

This photo was apparently taken on the London underground.
NINTCHDBPICT000568296182.jpg

Any suggestions as to where I can buy one before they sell out? ;)

Last edited:
Even more so with a wheelchair. I was my hands then immediately touch my wheels!

Yep, but I suppose it sounds like they are giving out good advice for the masses !

you grab a piece of tissue to dry your hand and then use that to open the door, then throw it away.
Yeah, I know but that’s not the point I was making — I can, and do do it normally, but have you studied how many do?

Actually, on a more general point, I’m always a bit surprised when I go to a hospital that I don’t have to walk on a disinfectantsolution whereas is I go to, say, a pig farm I do have to disinfect my boots.

Partly because the soles of my shoes are nearly always s***ty I wear a different pair when going to the hospital. Anyone else do that?

I wondered what happened to the ”dog with Covid” story, seems it’s still true:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-to-kiss-pets-after-dog-contracts-coronavirus
or maybe not? :)

Looks like the answer is in the article to which you linked:-
"Medical experts, including from the World Health Organization (WHO), had been investigating the case to determine if the dog was actually infected or had picked it up from a contaminated surface. The WHO has said there is no evidence animals like dogs or cats can be infected with the coronavirus. "

The virus (and countless others for that matter) could potentially be found on and any surface, person, animal or bird. That was always self evident.

Actually, on a more general point, I’m always a bit surprised when I go to a hospital that I don’t have to walk on a disinfectantsolution whereas is I go to, say, a pig farm I do have to disinfect my boots.

It never ceases to amaze may that a lot of the visitors who are permitted in wards clearly have personal hygiene problems. Some of them should be made to wear entire body hazmat suits to stop them spreading contamination.

Looks like the answer is in the article to which you linked:-
"Medical experts, including from the World Health Organization (WHO), had been investigating the case to determine if the dog was actually infected or had picked it up from a contaminated surface. The WHO has said there is no evidence animals like dogs or cats can be infected with the coronavirus. "

The virus (and countless others for that matter) could potentially be found on and any surface, person, animal or bird. That was always self evident.
Hence why I said “maybe not” :). The article is conflicting, is says “The Hong Kong Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department said experts unanimously agreed the results suggested the dog had “a low-level of infection and it is likely to be a case of human-to-animal transmission”. To be fair the WHO statement is a general one and does not address the specific case. I’m a bit interested because I have a (young, fit)relative in HK who has a similar small dog — he is working remotely because his school is closed and so is probably not at risk.

its interesting, if true, though because I don’t remember reading about flu etc passing to dogs or cats.

they said this morning that they thought it had mutated already , to a mild form and a virulent one .. the next month or so should be challenging

35 minutes to go, any guesses on today's number of cases?

We have decided to pull our almost-2-yo son from nursery until May. There will be more cases in central London, most people living here works in the city and travels in a metal tubular petri dish. The nursery is always a petri dish for any illness. My wife works from home, I can work from home if needed.

Kettle on carpet TZ70 P1030569.JPG

Does anyone here remember the old saying about empty kettles and noise?

Well, here's a thought: wouldn't it be a great help if people who don't know anything about virology or epidemiology were to stop spreading misinformation around the web?

Then those who were even less intelligent than those empty kettles (if that were possible) wouldn't be panic buying and/or attacking random Asians in Oxford Street: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51722686

On a car forum someone posted that our government fear that 8 in 10 people in the UK could be infected by the summer and was worried that car shows etc would be cancelled/ banned. Surely if it reaches as many as 8 in 10 infected, it isn't worth banning any such gatherings anymore.

If we only repeat what’s seen on the news on t.v then it’s simply repeating it for those that are at work . There are lots of supposed experts everywhere some trying to be honest some spreading b******t ..what as a layman I do know is this virus is dangerous it’s long overdue and allegedly the WHO have Been expecting disease X for a long time .. and I’m sure I’m speaking for everyone else on here that is past 65 years old that it’s very frightening even more so if there are underlying problems with health already .

On a car forum someone posted that our government fear that 8 in 10 people in the UK could be infected by the summer.
...and did they perhaps provide a link to where the government had made this statement?
what as a layman I do know is this virus is dangerous it’s long overdue and allegedly the WHO have Been expecting disease X for a long time.
...and you got that information from what source?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back