The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorted anyway:

full

I don’t know if it’s ethanol or isopropanol in hand sanitizers? But neat isopropanol is easily obtainable (I have a large bottle myself bought for non-medical reasons). I also happen to have (again for non-medical reasons) about 20 litres of vinegar which is very fungicidal and I expect bactericidal etc at 6% but I don’t know that. I do know you wouldn’t want to expose your hands to it for a long time because it will raise large blisters in my experience :(.

Isopropyl/isopropanol/rubbing alcohol - all the same thing. I use it as a cleaner, but store it outdoors. It is verging on being explosive so it requires careful handling & storage.

Try standing a bit nearer to the razor. That fuzz has just got to be paradise for Covid 19 ........... :LOL:

Hopefully! I want to catch it as it will be an excuse that the daughter can't bring her university mates round and I don't have to drive them about to all manner of parties :)

Just seen on facebook, the band I am seeing in London next month has just had to cancel their Japanese tour because of the virus.
I do hope it doesn't come to that over here, but I suspect that it may come to a point where the bands aren't going to want to fly, let alone gigs and other events are going to get cancelled to stop large gatherings.

Been wondering about that too, couple of my favourite bands are playing a double bill at the O2 early next month.

Seems an easy recipes for DIY hand sanitiser,

99% IPA and Aloe Vera gel, mix 65/35. Bit cheaper than the silly prices on ebay if you want/need some, though washing hands is best.

Been wondering about that too, couple of my favourite bands are playing a double bill at the O2 early next month.

You currently stand more chance of dying/getting seriously ill from an accident/incident on route to watch them than dying of coronavirus caught whilst watching them - can't believe the panic this is causing TBH.

I don’t know if it’s ethanol or isopropanol in hand sanitizers? But neat isopropanol is easily obtainable (I have a large bottle myself bought for non-medical reasons). I also happen to have (again for non-medical reasons) about 20 litres of vinegar which is very fungicidal and I expect bactericidal etc at 6% but I don’t know that. I do know you wouldn’t want to expose your hands to it for a long time because it will raise large blisters in my experience :(.
Popular brands like Carex use ethanol. The risk of a random home-made formula is that it might do more harm than good, potentially compromising your skin - anything that causes blisters can't be good!

Edit:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/03/health/coronavirus-diy-hand-sanitizer-trnd/index.html

This article links to some WHO formulas, one of which uses isoprop.

Last edited:
Seems an easy recipes for DIY hand sanitiser,

99% IPA and Aloe Vera gel, mix 65/35. Bit cheaper than the silly prices on ebay if you want/need some, though washing hands is best.

Iv'e got some of this IPA, too nice to waste on handwashing though.

P1040223 1.jpg

You currently stand more chance of dying/getting seriously ill from an accident/incident on route to watch them than dying of coronavirus caught whilst watching them - can't believe the panic this is causing TBH.
It's not the worry of catching anything, it's the fact the gigs might get cancelled, voluntarily or banned until the virus is under control.

Isopropyl/isopropanol/rubbing alcohol - all the same thing. I use it as a cleaner, but store it outdoors. It is verging on being explosive so it requires careful handling & storage.
Actually not quite, rubbing alcohol isn’t 100% and contains, I think, glycerol or similar, so for cleaning it’s best to use the neat stuff.

Do we..?....:). Do you have a photo of one..? ..I’m intrigued. I suspect I’m missing a trick here :)
As someone has provided a link. I think your'll find that its all true (y)

And another true comment regarding said cows.
When we had an outbreak of "Mad cow disease" early 2000's iirc.
There is a foot path running close to the cows, beyond the concrete cows was a live herd of cows.
So they closed the foot path, effectively quarantining the the concrete cows as well!

I chuckled every time I drove past that area

...anything that causes blisters can't be good!

Drinking 6% acetic acid doesn’t do any harm, I do it every mealtime in the form of a nice sherry or cider vinegar dressing and the good ones are pleasant to drink in small quantities, it’s only prolonged exposure (hours) on your skin which will raise blisters as I discovered many years ago through a peculiar set of circumstances that wouldn’t apply to most people.

Actually not quite, rubbing alcohol isn’t 100% and contains, I think, glycerol or similar, so for cleaning it’s best to use the neat stuff.
Going back many years when I worked in a clean environment, after the requisite entry shower we dipped our hands in a 70% solution of IMS
(Industrial Methylated Spirit)
That and a few other precautions kept the integrity of the barrier intact.

Going back many years when I worked in a clean environment, after the requisite entry shower we dipped our hands in a 70% solution of IMS
(Industrial Methylated Spirit)
That and a few other precautions kept the integrity of the barrier intact.
Yes, I avoided mentioning meths in case it gave anyone ideas in view of the dangers of drinking. Although I used to use copious amounts of IMS we also used a lot of Absolute Alcohol ... ;).

On a general point, it’s amazing the lengths people will go to avoid using the recommended soap and water. I think ‘hand sanitizer, which kills all known germs’ is seen as having magical properties :(.

Yes, I avoided mentioning meths in case it gave anyone ideas in view of the dangers of drinking.
Tastes like crap anyway .....
Or so I'm led to believe :D

Just seen on facebook, the band I am seeing in London next month has just had to cancel their Japanese tour because of the virus.
I do hope it doesn't come to that over here, but I suspect that it may come to a point where the bands aren't going to want to fly, let alone gigs and other events are going to get cancelled to stop large gatherings.
Looks like Genesis are taking a HUGE risk, given the demographic of their fans :)

Sorry Jon, didn't know your missus was poorly.

Thanks, it is just something the missus has had to get used to. She has been poorly for years, if she catches a cold or anything, it really takes it out of her, and she is a little on the frail side now. Other than that, everything is fine. So long as we have a big bottle of hand cleanser, we battle on. ;)

FWIW isopropyl alcohol has replaced industrial methylated alcohol for regular lab use as a sanitiser.

Generally 70% is most effective.

Number of infected in UK jumps by 34 in one day, most have come from infected region, 3 no idea where they caught it.

FWIW isopropyl alcohol has replaced industrial methylated alcohol for regular lab use as a sanitiser.
I'm sure a lot of stuff has changed over the years, this was early 70's - 80's

It's not the worry of catching anything, it's the fact the gigs might get cancelled, voluntarily or banned until the virus is under control.

Think they will be, so easy for people in Europe to travel to see bands if they aren't playing in their own country.

I'm wondering about the big music festivals of all kinds. The Proms in London is an interesting one. 5000 people a night (often with more than one concert), for 2 months solid, crammed into the Albert Hall (gatherings of this size are already banned in some European countries), with orchestras and other artists from all over the world, within spitting distance of the Promenaders.

The Mayor of Liverpool said, "if Liverpool win the league, we will not cancel the victory parade".

Just seen they have cancelled the book show at Olympia next weekend , not holding out much hope for the photography show the way this is spreading

On a general point, it’s amazing the lengths people will go to avoid using the recommended soap and water. I think ‘hand sanitizer, which kills all known germs’ is seen as having magical properties :(.
I can see it has its uses if you cannot find a place to wash your hands........ for example after having visited a supermarket or shopping centre & before getting into your car & potentially 'contaminating' the car? I might consider it (if I had any) before getting into my car after pushing a shopping trolley full of groceries to the car, unloading & returning the trolley to the trolley park

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back