The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
J.K. Rowling :

" Grieving families have been split, funerals have been unattended, people dying have been forced to say their final farewells via iPads, because people obeyed the rules to protect the NHS and save lives, yet Johnson stands there defending the utter f***weasel Cummings". How sadly true.

I'll refrain from the personal insults about 'personal standards' and make a reply.

Re care homes - most are privately run and charge an extortinate fee - they have managers who are responsible for their running and it is these persons at fault - why blame the government?

People dying in care homes is not news; sad though it is they are really 'end of life' homes.

The 'Cummings debacle' - no debacle just an irrelevant storm in a tea cup - I have already said it is of no concern to me and is only upsetting a handful of members here who have continually mentioned the same thing page after page. I completely agree with @Marc ; everybody has a right to a viewpoint and to post it but to post numerous times about the same thing is.........................well I think you know.

likewise with the NHS - the frontline staff aren't the problem it is all the managers and admin in the trusts that have failed in their role. the government only provide the funding.

This was highlighted by the senior Army Officer who couldn't actually beleive how poor the logistics were in the NHS.

It all depends which side of the Political fence you sit on, but like I quoted earlier 85% of conservative voters feel the Government is doing a good or excellent job in managing this pandemic and 14% of labour voters thought they were as well.

You are Jacob Rees-Mogg and I claim my fiver

Last edited:
but like I quoted earlier 85% of conservative voters feel the Government is doing a good or excellent job in managing this pandemic

Source for that please. The last YOUGOV poll I saw (that was 17th May) disagreed with you and suggested that the figures were trending away from the government

People on twitter are now saying "but his child is autistic and so needed familiar surroundings".

What so we're expected to believe that:

A: No one else who's been ill and stuck by the guidelines has had an autistic child?
B: His primary residence is less familiar to him than a home 260 miles away?

I fancy even The Chuckle brothers would have done a better job.
I thought we had the Chuckle Brothers running the show? Boris & Dom, names to conjure with, I see them on the comedy circuit when they retire ... oh, wait ... they are already.

People on twitter are now saying "but his child is autistic and so needed familiar surroundings".

What so we're expected to believe that:

A: No one else who's been ill and stuck by the guidelines has had an autistic child?
B: His primary residence is less familiar to him than a home 260 miles away?

He was escaping to the new Tory stronghold up north so he can remind Mr Johnson where it is

Yes & yes!

Smoking is incredibly bad for your health and the medical advice is to stop.

Smokers drain the resources of the health system so anyone that smokes is a drain on the resources of the NHS.

Is that proven? Many smokers will die early, this reducing the need for health and social care in their 70s and 80s?

Starmer must be thanking his lucky stars that he wasn't leader of the party at the last election - he'd probably have this s***storm in HIS lap had he been.

Have emailed my local MP just checking that if I have any childcare worries it's fine for me to drive the 260 miles to my parents house, since my wife's family are shielding.

Not sure it actually classes as them shielding being that my mum in law is in hospital now, although she's coming out today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have emailed my local MP just checking that if I have any childcare worries it's fine for me to drive the 260 miles to my parents house, since my wife's family are shielding.

How silly, Boris said it was ok last night and he outranks your MP!!

Starmer must be thanking his lucky stars that he wasn't leader of the party at the last election - he'd probably have this s***storm in HIS lap had he been.

Who knows, may have been better, may have been worse, no question he would have made mistakes but i don't think he would allow Cummings off the hook and I cant see how he could have been any worse!

Is that proven? Many smokers will die early, this reducing the need for health and social care in their 70s and 80s?
These are all the old arguments :(. Smokers May die younger and avoid health care late in life but they are more likely to need health care at younger ages than they otherwise would. And so on. There’s really no justification for tobacco smoking — speaking as an ex-smoker, or as I prefer to a smoker on a long time between cigarettes (44 years) since I still fancy one after meals. Luckily I smoked Gauloises and hate the smell of Virginia tobacco :).

Johnson is still looking very haggard, not sure he is physically fit for the job, mentally he never was, as is now being proved.

BTW wasn’t Raab in charge during the Cummings & goings?

These are all the old arguments :(. Smokers May die younger and avoid health care late in life but they are more likely to need health care at younger ages than they otherwise would. And so on. There’s really no justification for tobacco smoking — speaking as an ex-smoker, or as I prefer to a smoker on a long time between cigarettes (44 years) since I still fancy one after meals. Luckily I smoked Gauloises and hate the smell of Virginia tobacco :).

I gave up a fair few years ago and only ever fancy one now when i'm somewhere like Belgium or Germany.
Everyone seems to be smoking outside cafes whilst enjoying a beer, never submitted though.
Like you I also disliked the smell of Virginia tobacco and smoked cigarettes like Disque Bleu
Only time I think I would start again is if I knew for definite my days were numbered.

And don't forget the tax on cigarettes.
Approx 12.5 Billion ££ in tax and vat

And a cost of approx 2 billion££ in smoking related problems.
( various internet sources)

But anyway this thread isn't about that ...

Last edited:

No it's not, but some folks like blowing smoke up Boris's @rse....

I gave up a fair few years ago and only ever fancy one now when i'm somewhere like Belgium or Germany.
Everyone seems to be smoking outside cafes whilst enjoying a beer, never submitted though.
Like you I also disliked the smell of Virginia tobacco and smoked cigarettes like Disque Bleu
Only time I think I would start again is if I knew for definite my days were numbered.
Oh dear, you’ve sent me down Wikipedia Memory Lane! Apparently they are all made by Imperial Tobacco now so I expect they are rubbish :). Disque Bleu, yes but I mainly smoked Gitanes Maïs readily available in Soho at that tobacconist/newsagent near the Algerian Coffee Stores in Old Compton Street, where you could also find Italian Nationale Nazionale and those impossibly strong Tuscan cigars, though a bit hard to find elsewhere :(

BTW Wiki says:

“The brand was also linked to high-status and inspirational figures representing the worlds of art (e.g. Pablo Picasso) and the intellectual elite (e.g. Jean-Paul Sartre,[8] Albert Camus and Jean Baudrillard[9]

But though it doesn’t mention you and me, we were obviously right up there :).

Edit: Edit: spelling - Nazionale or was it Nazionali? Memory failing :(.

Last edited:
Oh dear, you’ve sent me down Wikipedia Memory Lane! Apparently they are all made by Imperial Tobacco now so I expect they are rubbish :). Disque Bleu, yes but I mainly smoked Gitanes Maïs readily available in Soho at that tobacconist/newsagent near the Algerian Coffee Stores in Old Compton Street, where you could also find Italian Nationale and those impossibly strong Tuscan cigars, though a bit hard to find elsewhere :(

BTW Wiki says:

“The brand was also linked to high-status and inspirational figures representing the worlds of art (e.g. Pablo Picasso) and the intellectual elite (e.g. Jean-Paul Sartre,[8] Albert Camus and Jean Baudrillard[9]

But though it doesn’t mention you and me, we were obviously right up there :).

In my youth days we would chip in and buy a pack of Sobranie(sp?) black russian, 'coz it wuz kool' to walk around with a black ciggy with a gold filter, in hindsight we probably looked propper d******ds.
If you were Cardiff born or knew the city, you would know all about the 'bear shop', a tobbaconist in the city centre that sold just about anything smokable (legally) and some very strange chocolates too. Every day they would drag out a stuffed grizzly bear and stand it just outside the doorway, hence the nick name. As nippers we would dare each other to touch the teeth.

image.jpg

Last edited:

It is now :)

They are you just dont know the number :exit:

In my youth days we would chip in and buy a pack of Sobranie(sp?) black russian, 'coz it wuz kool' to walk around with a black ciggy with a gold filter, in hindsight we probably looked propper d******ds.
Me too before I discovered Gauloises :).

Was it Nazionali (or however it's spelled/spelt) that were made from seized contraband ciggies that came across the Med and were then chopped up to be reformed into "new", legal fags? Often had bits of paper mixed in with the baccy and tasted foul!

Was it Nazionali (or however it's spelled/spelt) that were made from seized contraband ciggies that came across the Med and were then chopped up to be reformed into "new", legal fags? Often had bits of paper mixed in with the baccy and tasted foul!

I seem to remember something like that, resourceful lot the Italians. they weren‘t very nice but “when in Rome Florence” ... :).

It all depends which side of the Political fence you sit on, but like I quoted earlier 85% of conservative voters feel the Government is doing a good or excellent job in managing this pandemic and 14% of labour voters thought they were as well.

I think you data might be a little out, confidence in this imho failing government is waning.

Screenshot (30).png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back