The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Dominic Raab says he's doing all he can to help the Philippine Govt repatriate the British people stranded in Lima.

Who voted for his bunch of f*****g clowns?

I think Brits are trapped in a number of locations around the world. A number are stranded in Morocco.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ng-stranded-by-morocco-coronavirus-travel-ban

Raab said that anyone stranded should discuss the matter with their airlines.* He also said:

"Raab said it was unrealistic to expect the government to offer emergency repatriation for many tourists. “No one should be under any illusions. It is costly, it is expensive to coordinate,” he said. "

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ed-to-get-britons-home-as-travel-crisis-grows

I think Raab could possibly be the worst Foreign Secretary we've ever had, with the notable exception of the person who held the position between 2016-2018.

*EDIT: This was in relation to the forthcoming hotel shutdown in Spain, which will leave tourists with nowhere to stay and having to come home earlier than scheduled.

Last edited:
The so called £330bn 'fund' is a loan guarantee, not a loan. It means any company that defaults (having borrowed money from commercial banks) will have their loan repaid by the Government. Once again Govt are protecting the banks if they lend to companies that are flakey......
Theyre all potentially flakey. Thats the point.
For some people nothing is right.
Maybe drive lorries around and randomly tossing money off the back?
Its so easy in these circumstances to sit back and "yeah but" everything.

So Dominic Raab says he's doing all he can to help the Philippine Govt repatriate the British people stranded in Lima.

Who voted for his bunch of f*****g clowns?
As opposed to the other clowns?

Surprising they have closed the large emergency hospitals when they still have over 8k known active cases, of which over 2,600 are serious / critical.

Perhaps the large emergency hospitals are too far from where the active cases are. It is a huge country.
Given the speed at which they can knock up a hospital it may be easier to build new ones on site.

The situation in China is stabilising and they have now closed the large emergency hospitals that they built (may become bat sanctuaries :exit:.
Someone said that on farcebook, and a Chinese citizen said it was rubbish, there are still patients in the hospitals.

It's now less clear than ever that the market was the original source of the outbreak. The first documented patient was not associated with the market, and there is now apparently a case from weeks earlier from an unspecified location in Hubei. The market might just have been the location of the first workplace spreading event.

I've been reading about that very claim. https://www.livescience.com/first-case-coronavirus-found.html

I don't know for sure, of course but I'd imagine that the sellers/buyers in these wet markets would be vulnerable to all kinds of nasty ailments as photos show a very poor level of hygiene..non-existant let alone what some species may be carrying. I've just done a check and SARS did originate in one of these animal markets and came from quote 'A racoon-like animal, a delicacy in southern China"

Whatever the findings this time I'm pleased to see that there's worldwide pressure on the Chinese authorities to permanently close down these markets,not so much re the sea food but the animals, especially those taken from the wild such as the pangolin, which is endangered. If that doesn't particularly bother some peopel then just the risk of pandemics should persuade them that the markets should be closed. People need to eat so it's more than just closing them down. A different food culture needs to be instilled.

A good read here in the Guardian. It also cites how Ebola originated in monkeys that had been inmfected by bats and the monkeys were consumed as 'bush meat' MERS (Saudi Arabia 2012) was transmitted from dromedara camels. Bats get a bad press.Lol. they are associated as the original source in MERS- SARS(the Greater Horseshoe bat) Nipah Virus (Fruit bats..has a 78% mortality rate) and now Covid-19.
https://www.theguardian.com/science...wild-animal-markets-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

I think there are grounds for hope because young people are turning against eating wild animals and there are Chinese groups fighting the practice. Maybe David Attenborough's documentaries are having more impact than the conservation groups..all grist to the mill.
https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingi...ternet-to-temporarily-slow-down-a3689806.html

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.u...d-wildlife-markets-coronavirus-outbreak-grows

Spain in lockdown. This account of daily life was posted on the Face Book page of a group that my wife belongs to. We don't know which city/town she lives in but it's nationwide anyway.

So for my friends that are hearing about what is happening over here in Spain. This is the reality...
Yes we are in total quarantine... What does that mean?
*Well everything is closed apart from pharmacies, supermarkets, petrol stations. Tabacs (only in Spain)
*All bars and restaurants and shops are closed.
*We are not allowed to leave the house unless it's to buy food or an emergency.
*We are not allowed more than 1 person in a car.
*We are only allowed to walk our pets within 50 metres of our house and a quick walk on your own.
*We are not allowed to just take a walk or a bike ride to get fresh air
*All childrens outdoor parks are closed. Beaches are closed.
*In supermarkets you cannot enter unless you are wearing gloves and put sanitizer on. They are provided at the door
*At the pharmacy tape 2m apart outside door, only one person can enter at a time and only go 1m away from the counter
*The majority of us have suddenly found ourselves with no work
*In supermarkets and queues we have to stay in single file with a 2 meter distance between each person.
*Many hospital appointments have been cancelled
*There are hefty fines if you do not abide by the rules

Bats get a bad press.Lol. they are associated as the original source in MERS- SARS(the Greater Horseshoe bat) Nipah Virus (Fruit bats..has a 78% mortality rate) and now Covid-19.
https://www.theguardian.com/science...wild-animal-markets-amid-coronavirus-outbreak
Don‘t be too hard on the bats, I’m sure they carry a huge variety of bugs because of their huge numbers crowded together and so on. It‘s the humans who are batty enough to eat them that are at fault :(.

London Mortuary being expanded to cope with greater number of Corona Virus victims:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-london-mortuary-to-expand-to-cope-with-deaths-11959712

A very apt avatar, Danny..:LOL:

A grim article indeed. Here's another uplifting article. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743

Let's hope we don't get to the point of 'Bring out your dead'. On a serious note all this must be having a damaging psychological effect on many people. Like waiting for the Grim Reaper:(

Don‘t be too hard on the bats, I’m sure they carry a huge variety of bugs because of their huge numbers crowded together and so on. It‘s the humans who are batty enough to eat them that are at fault :(.

I've just Googled that,Richard. I had no idea they were so popular as food in Asia and Africa.Half of all Megabats are hunted. Even if they aren't eaten they are hunted for medicinal value,hide teeth and sport so viruses can still be transmitted without eating them. I see that bat soup is popular, along with bat stew and curried bat. Someone needs to have a word with those who eat them as they carry so much potential l for nasty diseases. They harbour rabies for one.

I've just Googled that,Richard. I had no idea they were so popular as food in Asia and Africa.Half of all Megabats are hunted. Even if they aren't eaten they are hunted for medicinal value,hide teeth and sport so viruses can still be transmitted without eating them. I see that bat soup is popular, along with bat stew and curried bat. Someone needs to have a word with those who eat them as they carry so much potential l for nasty diseases. They harbour rabies for one.
Guess it just comes down to available food stock for too many humans. We'll keep multiplying until there's no more/not enough food left, same as any other species on the planet, eventually nature says "enough" and takes action. I doubt it's as planned as that but we all know what I mean.

Glad it`s still low, as I was thinking it would of been quite a few more.
Worst part of 50% increase, keeps up like that and it will be a rapidly climbing number very soon.
One stat I saw was that the same number of people had died as have survived (was a few days ago and was 50 odd in each camp). There'll be a latency in each camp of course and there'll be a quicker rise in deaths than survivors.

Couple of people I know in London have heard the capital will be locked down very shortly.
Something similar to the way France has gone about it, seems credible to me

or why not 2 chicken madras and 5 naan's? far more appealling.

I quite like papadums. They would have gone down well with the crowds.( I've only heard them pronounced as popadoms)

When I were a young man ..lol..I worked in Germany for three yeaers and along with a couple of other Brits were invited to have a curry made by an Asian friend. We were all very much looking forward to this home-made authentic curry so you can understand our great disappointment to be served ...curried pilchards :LOL:

Reactions: mex
Worst part of 50% increase,

thought it was triple, you may well be right though, thought yesterday was 11 but day before was 15 but may have mixed it up.

Pretty sure though that up by 32 is the biggest jump in the UK in one day though.

Albumin functions primarily as a carrier protein for steroids,
:p
They are the one thing that has never interested me as far as weight training/bodybuilding is concerned, at 5'8" tall, I don't want to get freakishly big. :)

Perhaps the large emergency hospitals are too far from where the active cases are. It is a huge country.
Given the speed at which they can knock up a hospital it may be easier to build new ones on site.
I was under the impression they had it all pretty much locked down to the one area, with just random cases around the rest of the country.

thought it was triple, you may well be right though, thought yesterday was 11 but day before was 15 but may have mixed it up.

Pretty sure though that up by 32 is the biggest jump in the UK in one day though.
32 new deaths, now stands at 104, so it was 72 deaths. 32 over 72 = 44.4% increase in number of deaths
As you say if it was 11 deaths the day before then it's triple the previous number (or double if 15). So both figures are correct, just depends how you read them, as always.
It's accelerating though.

Last edited:
Trump's just given another press conference. It' wasanother rambling mess. He's described Corona Virus as 'The Chinese Virus' and when challenged about his low ratings he responded that he thought his ratings were great. When asked why he's changed his stance on the virus (It's just like the 'flu) he just blustered and evaded.

When asked if it was acceptable for someone at the Whitehouse to describe the virus as 'Kung-flu' Trump seemed indifferent and when asked whether such language could endanger Chinese-Americans he said no.

It's a shame that lies and incompetence can't be transformed into a vaccine for COVID-19, the virus would be wiped out immediately. It wouldn't have a chance against Trump.

104 deaths now places us ahead of South Korea (84 deaths) in the grimmest of league tables. South Korea could easily have been another Italy, but its huge campaign of testing, contact tracing and isolation, without major lockdowns, appears to have suppressed the large outbreak associated with the Shincheonji religious sect, in a democracy with the population of England. At over 8000 their total case count is much higher than our nominal count, but of course they are counting many of the community infections we are simply ignoring. Their number of active cases is actually in decline.

I guess we'll soon see if the new measures brought in this week have an impact on our exponential rise in fatal cases.

Last edited:
I remember seeing BBCTV program maybe 10 or more years ago about African “pygmies” (as they used to be called), the Baka, I think. They caught bats trussed them, wrapped in leaves and toasted them (alive, well, not fo long) over the fire :(. Probably very tasty :) but not for me :(.

Spain in lockdown. This account of daily life was posted on the Face Book page of a group that my wife belongs to. We don't know which city/town she lives in but it's nationwide anyway.

So for my friends that are hearing about what is happening over here in Spain. This is the reality...
Yes we are in total quarantine... What does that mean?
*Well everything is closed apart from pharmacies, supermarkets, petrol stations. Tabacs (only in Spain)
*All bars and restaurants and shops are closed.
*We are not allowed to leave the house unless it's to buy food or an emergency.
*We are not allowed more than 1 person in a car.
*We are only allowed to walk our pets within 50 metres of our house and a quick walk on your own.
*We are not allowed to just take a walk or a bike ride to get fresh air
*All childrens outdoor parks are closed. Beaches are closed.
*In supermarkets you cannot enter unless you are wearing gloves and put sanitizer on. They are provided at the door
*At the pharmacy tape 2m apart outside door, only one person can enter at a time and only go 1m away from the counter
*The majority of us have suddenly found ourselves with no work
*In supermarkets and queues we have to stay in single file with a 2 meter distance between each person.
*Many hospital appointments have been cancelled
*There are hefty fines if you do not abide by the rules

That’s old news. They are in day 5 of the cuarentena.

Couple of people I know in London have heard the capital will be locked down very shortly.
Something similar to the way France has gone about it, seems credible to me

Is that to be the capital locked down but everywhere else a free for all?? ...... Hmmm all Londoners part the capital and head for greener pastures! Yeah right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back