The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ventured into fantasy island territory with the unclean nonsense.
Maybe time to call it a day before you show yourself up even more

Not sure if I`m right, but they say Italy has the oldest people in the world ?

Certainly will be a factor but I do wonder about how well their ICU facilities are / are not coping and what their treatment criteria and protocols are. Age will play a factor in that sadly.

Deaths now 233 and 5,000+ confirmed cases.

That's confirmed cases, the advice now seems to be only contact the medical services if you need medical treatment so there really is no way of knowing the true figure

Not sure if I`m right, but they say Italy has the oldest people in the world ?

Not sure if they still do, but several generations used to live together so the older ones were well looked after
which might be a disadvantage at this time

"The use of colloidal silver was promoted on US televangelist Jim Bakker's show. Colloidal silver is tiny particles of the metal suspended in liquid. A guest on the show claimed the solution kills some strains of coronavirus within 12 hours (while admitting it hadn't yet been tested on Covid-19).

The idea that it could be an effective treatment for coronavirus has been widely shared on Facebook, particularly by "medical freedom" groups which are deeply suspicious of mainstream medical advice.

Proponents of colloidal silver claim it can treat all kinds of health conditions, act as an antiseptic, and state it helps the immune system. There are some occasional uses of silver in healthcare, for example in bandages applied to wounds, but that doesn't mean it's effective to consume.

There's clear advice from the US health authorities that there's no evidence this type of silver solution is effective for any health condition." Taken from BBC news.

Some people will believe any old s***, whilst others profess s***.

My wife is generally inclined to be kind and understanding but after hearing some similar rubbish many years ago she said: "The government should encourage them to do it. At least it will put them out of our misery". :wideyed:

"The use of colloidal silver was promoted on US televangelist Jim Bakker's show. Colloidal silver is tiny particles of the metal suspended in liquid. A guest on the show claimed the solution kills some strains of coronavirus within 12 hours (while admitting it hadn't yet been tested on Covid-19).

The idea that it could be an effective treatment for coronavirus has been widely shared on Facebook, particularly by "medical freedom" groups which are deeply suspicious of mainstream medical advice.

Proponents of colloidal silver claim it can treat all kinds of health conditions, act as an antiseptic, and state it helps the immune system. There are some occasional uses of silver in healthcare, for example in bandages applied to wounds, but that doesn't mean it's effective to consume.

There's clear advice from the US health authorities that there's no evidence this type of silver solution is effective for any health condition." Taken from BBC news.

That’d be the same Jim Bakker who served time for fraud and paid hush money to a church secretary he allegedly raped, apparently he’s now back as a tv evangelist. Pretty forgiving people these evangelists.

It never amazes me when those that avoid big pharma are quite happy to pay thousands of dollars for woofu**ery from these con merchants

Last edited:
Washington Post articles, free to access.
U.S. intelligence reports from January and February warned about a likely pandemic
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...il&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_tyh&wpmk=1
Younger adults are large percentage of coronavirus hospitalizations in United States, according to new CDC data
https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...il&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_tyh&wpmk=1

Yes the data of the age range does seem to be in contradiction to a lot of global data, I wonder if there are a larger proportion of those with underlying health conditions but are younger?

That’d be the same Jim Bakker who served time for fraud and paid hush money to a church secretary he allegedly raped, apparently he’s now back as a tv evangelist. Pretty forgiving people these evangelists.

It never amazes me when those that avoid big pharma are quite happy to pay thousands of dollars for woofu**ery from these con merchants

Indeed.

Not heard of them before. Very 80s college rock. Is that a thing again?
Not sure if there are any other bands currently playing similar. But Ghost are fairly big. Saw them twice this year, they played support to Metallica and then saw them as headliners at Wembley Arena.

Edit to add: Be too simple to make all parking free too I guess which would reduce transmission hugely!

It would make sense. In any case, they can’t be making a lot of money out of it atm anyway. I’ve never seen the car parks at the hospital so empty. At least people are avoiding visiting as much as possible.

(Staying on topic) Some interesting information here and showing how many cases might be nearby. Sobering to say the least. Only up to date for today though as Im sure it will continue to change.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/21/coronavirus-uk-how-many-confirmed-cases-in-your-area

It looks like 'flattening the curve" has gone out of the window for now.
The number of 'known' cases has risen about 13.5% in France today which is just over half the percentage increase in the UK.

It looks like 'flattening the curve" has gone out of the window for now.
The number of 'known' cases has risen about 13.5% in France today which is just over half the percentage increase in the UK.

Yep, Im honestly expecting the lockdown by the middle of the week.

After 5 days of lockdown, the Nouvelle Aquitaine region of France (84,000km2....4 x the size of Wales) saw a 10% drop in new cases yesterday....the first reduction since the numbers became meaningful.

Possibly just a statistical blip but maybe the early signs that the harsh measures are having an impact....albeit small.

This is going to come across as sounding really harsh, but should hospital staff even be leaving the hospitals?
Everytime they go home at the end of a shift, they risk passing the virus onto others.
Even though the schools are now closed, they are still open for children with parents in critical jobs. These kids are still at risk of getting the virus and passing it onto other kids or the staff at the school. It can still spread.

Even if they put portakabins in the hospital car parks as temporary living accommodation, it would help stop the spread.

This is going to come across as sounding really harsh, but should hospital staff even be leaving the hospitals?
Everytime they go home at the end of a shift, they risk passing the virus onto others.
Even though the schools are now closed, they are still open for children with parents in critical jobs. These kids are still at risk of getting the virus and passing it onto other kids or the staff at the school. It can still spread.

Even if they put portakabins in the hospital car parks as temporary living accommodation, it would help stop the spread.

I believe the government are negotiating with hotel chains with regards to using them to house NHS staff. Probably won't be long before they are told to close anyway so there won't be a shortage of accommodation.

I believe the government are negotiating with hotel chains with regards to using them to house NHS staff. Probably won't be long before they are told to close anyway so there won't be a shortage of accommodation.
It does make sense up to a point, but I feel sorry for the essential workers that would now find themselves in isolation away from their families. Through no fault of their own.
(My SiL is a nurse)

I don't see that anyone's in a position to ask them not to go home to their families given that "Joe Public" sees fit to go to the beach rather than follow the advice. It's unrealistic to expect one group to make all the sacrifices.

My Dil works for NHS, her husband doesn't so the school isn't open for their children. He is supposed to work from home, their nursery won't take the younger one either, so somehow he is supposed to work and look after the kids.

After 5 days of lockdown, the Nouvelle Aquitaine region of France (84,000km2....4 x the size of Wales) saw a 10% drop in new cases yesterday....the first reduction since the numbers became meaningful.

Possibly just a statistical blip but maybe the early signs that the harsh measures are having an impact....albeit small.
Sounds about right. If the incubation period is around 5 days on average and goes up to 14, we'd still expect to see cases infected before the lockdown, so there'll always be a lead time on these measures taking effect.

My Dil works for NHS, her husband doesn't so the school isn't open for their children. He is supposed to work from home, their nursery won't take the younger one either, so somehow he is supposed to work and look after the kids.
My employer has said in those circumstances, the parent at home is there to watch the kids first and foremost, not working from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back