The virus. PPE. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its only got round four small food bags in it, but its starting to get warm
And as the Spring develops into the hottest summer on record ....
Of course there is no guarantee this'll happen ....
But it never rains but pours ;)

I'm not convinced by any of that as there are just so many holes, ifs and buts.

Plus in many parts of the country there are large numbers of people who have no conventional work or education related structure to their lives and some turn to other things which can supply an alternative structure, sort of. For those people having a job and the structure that could bring could be life changing in a good way both for them and society.

If UBI is costed and can work then fine, great, super, smashing but I wouldn't want to see this as another thing that'll just pile debt and misery on as yet unborn generations which I think is much more likely.
I’m no expert on this but one of the arguments is that with a basic income people will be free to start up other enterprises and before you say people won’t work if they have some income — what about those with inherited wealth or already more money than they can possibly spend? If you say, right take their money off them too, then OK I’m willing to try that but it hasn’t worked too well when tried before :(. I don’t think UBI has ever been done in a large way. It’s strange that people don’t really object to shovelling money to banks or wealthy individuals but are always moaning about giving little crumbs to the ‘poor’. Personally I thought all that money thrown to banks in 2008 (?) should have been spread out to everyone to spend and get the economy going and let the banks go hang :).

now we are all taking part in this story ,when do we get to the bit where they nuke London and Birmingham to stop it spreading o_O o_O :banana::banana::banana::banana:

So this is why they don't want us going to Swnodonia. You will still get enough fallout there, just will be much slower and painful death. Of course UN might come and save us just in time :)

View: https://BANNED/FoleshillWMP/status/1242460673914912770

This won't affect many people on here I suppose ( apart from me and my work load :woot: )

Amey have just announced they have shut all their HWRC's ( tidy tips what ever you call them)
In the Cambs / Suffolk area.
Amey being Amey are pretty much the "waste leaders" with this sort of thing.
I'm sure the other companies won't be far behind.

So all you lot, clearing out your garages / lofts / spare rooms, while grounded, certainly in the area I mentioned
Won't be able to take a trip down to the local tidy tip, for the foreseeable future.

( but then again, would that be an essential trip? I doubt it. )
It will just lead to more fly tipping.
On that subject, there was a bit of noise our flats stairwell as I was getting ready to leave for work. As I walked out of the block, there is a sofa standing on its end outside the door. I don't know who they think is going to come and collect it and I still can't work out how they can have any furniture left, the same woman, she keeps throwing stuff out, but no one sees anything going back in.

View: https://BANNED/FoleshillWMP/status/1242460673914912770
Brainless! But police are wrong too, it’s HMG instructions not advice — you don’t have to take advice ;).

It will just lead to more fly tipping.
Not allowed its a non essential journey ( fly tipping) :D

I don't know who they think is going to come and collect it
Around this way, you pay a fee, cost is depending on the item, and the local council pick up large items. Freezers, sofa's cabinets etc

Stick a "For Sale" sign on it and leave it in an unattended pick-up.

Got sms from HMG at last, thought they’d forgotten me :). Giffgaff, which is O2.

Not allowed its a non essential journey ( fly tipping) :D

Around this way, you pay a fee, cost is depending on the item, and the local council pick up large items. Freezers, sofa's cabinets etc
Tip it on the way to work.

We have the same system, but I can't see the council doing that during a lockdown, there is already talk of reducing the weekly refuse collection to fortnightly

Brainless! But police are wrong too, it’s HMG instructions not advice — you don’t have to take advice ;).

I think I remember Boris saying that police would have the power to break up gatherings of more than 2 people

I think I remember Boris saying that police would have the power to break up gatherings of more than 2 people
It’s not law till later in the week ,our leaders are still trying to keep a semblance of democracy ... on the bright side got 3/4 of the garden decking jet washed only 11 weeks 5 days of confinement to go

More die in London, and after seeing the London underground they will have many many more.

View: https://BANNED/DHSCgovuk/status/1242479152420225025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1242479152420225025&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fworld-52013888

And so it begins :(
I know you are about 20-ish miles from me ( I'm in MK) and a different LA we still have weekly collections for everything.
Always have. But I'm not sure how long it will continue.

ah yes, ours went fortnightly (alternating twixt recycling/garden and domestic waste) about 2 - 3 years ago now and its ok to be honest.

I was admittedly half trolling you (you should have noticed) but after a visit to local tesco extra I am getting seriously scared. The shelves were nearly empty in many areas, many types of products not available (flour, pasta, washing powder, almost all oil is gone), and not much else left. I've spoken with one member of staff and they nodded it was going to get significantly more scarce. She said they have a little more in the mornings but it goes very quickly.
Tesco was also briefly trialling the queue system at the door when I came in; it wasn't there as I was leaving. It was ridiculous at best. People standing right next to each other and some with DRY COUGH (not the ones next to me thankfully and it was reasonably windy). I was like shall I point finger and shout virus spreader!
It is basically not looking good. If you are out shopping make sure you get all vital supplies and don't be too picky; the choice will not be back for a while.

Getting back to the issue of COUGHING MEMBERS of public on the Street: what is the proper procedure? I am under impression dry cough means they have to strictly self quarantine at home.

Local chemist reporting people still walking in for advice on sore throats [emoji34]. What is wrong with some people [emoji848]

Apparantly, sore throats! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

While this is true, they are still unbelievable stupid not to heed it.

More die in London, and after seeing the London underground they will have many many more.

View: https://BANNED/DHSCgovuk/status/1242479152420225025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1242479152420225025&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flive%2Fworld-52013888

Now you finally understand why I was so critical of mass transit in the past. Those people until now have had very little choice. Well, in terms of shopping they always have a choice to walk a couple of miles to the shop, but in case they need to carry more than 2 medium bags this becomes impractical. Personal transport is the only viable way going forward.

I wouldn't want to see this as another thing that'll just pile debt and misery on as yet unborn generations which I think is much more likely.
I see no reason why it should if done properly. The way I see UBI working is that it replaces all tax allowances for individuals and all benefits.

As a very simplistic example: suppose every adult receives £200 per week in return for paying 30% income tax on everything they receive (probably higher rates for income above £10,000). That UBI becomes the only subsidy anyone receives: no child allowances, no state pension, just a single payment to keep you alive and pay a basic rent.. If you want more you work for it.

Of course the actual amounts would need to be calculated but £10,000 a year seems a do-able figure in return for clearing away all the tax dodges and excuses. It gets rid of the National Insurance which has never been quite what it claims to be and it will encourage more people into employment because they know exactly what they'll get to take home (say 70% of their wages).

Of course it won't suit a lot of people who see tax as a voluntary contribution and society as something they just ignore when they wish to. For most people, though, it could be just what they need to motivate them.

Last edited:
The only positive outcome at the end of this for me personally and anyone else renting would be MASSIVE crash of house prices. Please let it be true. I am sure many of you will have an opposing view.

I have seen reports and videos tonight that police are actively chasing up groups on beaches and proms in north wales,also walkers in snowdonia . Some people think it doesn’t apply to them . We popped to the shops this morning I sat in car wife got some essential food supplies never known her do shopping so quickly literally in and out in 5 minutes or less ..
and just seen a comment by north wales chief of police ,traffic patrols have been instructed to stop and turn round motorhomes and caravans heading in

ah yes, ours went fortnightly (alternating twixt recycling/garden and domestic waste) about 2 - 3 years ago now and its ok to be honest.
TBH it wouldn't bother me either. I only throw out rubbish / recycling every other week max. anyway.
Although there are a few families that manage half a dozen black bags ( rubbish) each week and very little in the way of white bags ( recycling)
now that is a blast from the past!!!

I could have sworn you said you couldn't wait to leave the country.

irrelevant. I'd happily buy in Austria or Italy in fact; same crash required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back