The "What is it?" thread - Part III

Is this view (PoV) the opposite end of what might be called the "normal" view of it?

Is it what in bathroom plumbing terms a Tap Aerator or regulator?

Is this view (PoV) the opposite end of what might be called the "normal" view of it?

Is it what in bathroom plumbing terms a Tap Aerator or regulator?

Yes and yes.

The first version was taken by accident while I was rinsing my Nikon 1AW under the kitchenette tap while on holiday but wasn't shooting straight up the water flow. Careful repositioning and popping the flash up made it more interesting!
Here's the first accidental version.
DSC_0805.jpg

Weh heh :)

Please bear with me and I will try to post something this evening/by the morning.

Well as a novice to this thread what I am posting is not a macro but a very specific crop of something a tad unusual..................which I have no doubt someone will seek & find the truth of what it is fairly quickly (I had closeup in mind but could not find it :( ;)

What_is_it.jpg

Sinclair C5 National Championships? :D

In a way you are on the right track...........but nothing to do with the oh so marvellous C5 with it's hoover washing machine motor :eek:

Cross country skiing trainer powering a scooter type contraption?

Cross country skiing trainer powering a scooter type contraption?

Well that is what it looks like but no, as far as I know this was/is a very specific (concept) device and "target" market. (A clue perhaps ~ this was taken in 2005 so things may have moved on!?) There is just enough in the picture to lead you to its more modern relative ;)

Last edited:
The boots and bindings look very similar to skiing things. Can't figure out if the whole contraption is moving or static!

The boots and bindings look very similar to skiing things. Can't figure out if the whole contraption is moving or static!

It is moving and as mentioned it is/was a concept product and C5 and Segway perhaps are distant cousins ;)

Kinda looks like those 3 wheeled scooters that kids have. You know the ones, you have to 'squash' your legs together to get the thing moving. But an adult or extreme electrified version.

Kinda looks like those 3 wheeled scooters that kids have. You know the ones, you have to 'squash' your legs together to get the thing moving. But an adult or extreme electrified version.

That description is broadly what it is...........but as mentioned above there is a modern version of this and the same manufacturer ;)

Oh you say manufacturer....... Look closely :D

Looks like a Toyota logo on the right...

Yes, Toyota :jaffa: now can you identify what you are looking at and perhaps it offspring?

Edit ~ I thought this was archived somewhere but it seems so little known that I cannot find another picture of it anywhere........sorry :(

So I will accept its offsping as 'your' solution........but what is that offspring??? ;)

Last edited:
Gotta be an early prototype of the Lexus hoverboard then!

Or one of those 3 wheeled scooter/motorbikes. The one with 2 wheels at the front and 1 at the back. The whole bike leans to the side and the front wheels look funny... ibike or something?

Or one of those 3 wheeled scooter/motorbikes. The one with 2 wheels at the front and 1 at the back. The whole bike leans to the side and the front wheels look funny... ibike or something?

Almost there........as @jimmyjamjojo identified the make what is the 'model' (there are pictures out there)?

The only thing that Google throws up at me shows the final thing to be very different! i-real ly was foxed by the need to be strapped in by the feet!

The only thing that Google throws up at me shows the final thing to be very different! i-real ly was foxed by the need to be strapped in by the feet!

As you said "think early prototype" from what i discovered it has morphed into something 'no boots required' that is the one I perceived as the offspring from this progenitor.

As I sort of said in my last post, is it an I-Real?

As I sort of said in my last post, is it an I-Real?

Sorry Nod I missed that ref as it looked like a predictive text entry oddity :(

Not that model.......think a bit faster with previously mentioned interesting suspension ;)

When back on the PC I will as appropriate post the full frame image as IMO for sure anticipate you will ID the model I see as its modern iteration :). NB I will of course confirm once so 'correctly' identified.

i-Road?

Bingo :)

That from all my latter searches is the most logical development of what I saw at the Festival of Speed in 2005.

Over to you and I will post the full frame, the way it was driven/ridden was hands free........you will see what I mean this evening.

Look forward to seeing the full shot!

Here's one I took just now.

DSCF4587.jpg

A bit smaller.

Teapot stand or perhaps just a small trivet?

Not something for anything to stand on.

As promised here is the full frame
What_is_itFullsize.jpg
It was ridden (driven) by the rider using his body position ~ lean forward to accelerate, lean back to brake and to the appropriate side to turn . As far as I can recall it had a small ICE in the back not electric and the odd leaning front wheels.

I did find the Toyota website here http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation/personal_mobility/i-road/ and if you click on the "Active Lean" video it shows a "skier" (using in-line skates) making tight turns that are mimiced by the I-Road. As I said I was unable to find any other images of this device even using Google image search....................so looks like it was a Toyota student concept project that was deeply buried but indeed the progenitor of the i-Road and other 'like' personal transport devices that are now semi-mainstream.

Interesting concept but probably doomed by a combination of legality issues and lawsuits! IIRC, even things like Segways aren't legal for use on either pavements or roads here in the UK (although a couple of Police forces seem to be using them...) and the "hoverboards" have been bu99ered by fakes with battery/charger overheating problems.

Clue?

Not seen as often as they used to be but just as useful as ever!

No. Not a cooking appliance of any sort. I know of at least one other photographer who uses one of these, although he might not use it while shooting.

So is it a household item or an 'old school' photographic usage item?

Back