The23rdman's 52 for 2010- Week 24 - METAL

Dean, I am going in the opposite direction, I think the profile image should stay, I think it adds to the image that its different to the others. The profile subject is looking in on the others and adds interest. The lighting is great in these (as expected really;)). Your second image is a winner too, the colours, composition and dof are spot on but just a wee bit of a crowbar ;)
Iain

Hmmm I can't quite decide whether I would prefere a fourth sky background or not...but then that's me ever indecisive! Really cool idea that you have pulled off very well, especially considering mild inebriation ;) Pretty Aubretia too!

Hi Dean - I'm a huge fan of people shots and I love the BBQ pics - different angles, variety of styles and overall good lighting. I think the bottom right one is not quite as good as the rest, but a good set of portraits!

Phil

Hmmm I can't quite decide whether I would prefere a fourth sky background or not...but then that's me ever indecisive! Really cool idea that you have pulled off very well, especially considering mild inebriation ;) Pretty Aubretia too!

Thanks, Sonia, and thank you for the ID of the flower.

Hi Dean - I'm a huge fan of people shots and I love the BBQ pics - different angles, variety of styles and overall good lighting. I think the bottom right one is not quite as good as the rest, but a good set of portraits!

Phil

Cheers, Phil. I put the one of Ali in cos I liked the sky. I can see the composition isn't classically correct though.

Dean, I am going in the opposite direction, I think the profile image should stay, I think it adds to the image that its different to the others. The profile subject is looking in on the others and adds interest. The lighting is great in these (as expected really;)). Your second image is a winner too, the colours, composition and dof are spot on but just a wee bit of a crowbar ;)
Iain

It's staying then. ;) Thanks, matey.

Isolation: lol, very cool idea and well executed ;)

Quality: I like the portrait shots, the female one, i like it, its different and stands out, is that a good or bad thing, I dont know but it offers a kind of story of the evening, which is nice.

I saw your BBQ pics Dean, and I think these are the best from that set. All good stuff for a stinker of a theme.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Sue, the people pictures may not say quality to you, but that doesn't mean they don't say quality. To me these people are quality.

So on we go to week 23. I was really looking forward to getting out and shooting this week, but crap weather, time and inspiration left me. To that end I decided to work on my product shot lighting. It's not anywhere near perfect, but I wanted to ditch the lightbox and try something a little more controllable. This is the result.

It's a lens a received through the post t'other day shot with another lens received through the post (Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8)

Clicky.

After getting grief I thought I'd have another go...

Last edited:
Bloody cheek!

I do have another shot I'd like to take, and hopefully now the sun's out I'll get a chance - time permitting.

I really like the 'post' shot! I'm not entirely sure why, I think I'm just a sucker for B&W abstract-y shots, really like the composition and processing! (y)

Ooohhhh.....I wish I had goodies like that arriving through the post (although, by 'goodies', I mean Nikon stuff!). Like the reflection of the lens and looks like a product shot out of a catalogue or online shop.
Great angle on the second image and the clouds really add a bit of drama to the shot.

Love the telegraph pole, Dean. The angle of shooting has given a dynamic composition, further helped by a quality b&w conversation. I love the clouds.

Phil

Ooohhhh.....I wish I had goodies like that arriving through the post (although, by 'goodies', I mean Nikon stuff!). Like the reflection of the lens and looks like a product shot out of a catalogue or online shop.
Great angle on the second image and the clouds really add a bit of drama to the shot.

Cheers. I've ditched my lightbox in favour of a homemare cyc curve for lighting this kinda thing. Going to experiment with harder light and fill soon.

Love the telegraph pole, Dean. The angle of shooting has given a dynamic composition, further helped by a quality b&w conversation. I love the clouds.

Phil

Thanks, mate. I quite liked the original, but felt the conversion added a bit of interest.

Really like the telegraph pole Dean....reminds me of one of those posters you see with a buzzword underneath (e.g. Aspiration/Ambition) and some life-affirming mantra.

Perspiration? ...From climbing up it? ;)

Image #2 for me too Dean. Its bang on theme, the first is a wee bit of a crowbar job. The second image works much better, loving the composition of it, made all the better with your processing. (y) from me Dean. Iain

I like the telegraph pole .. interesting angle and patterns in the wood.

You get much better post (mail) than I do :)

The telegraph pole is the one for me. Nice, dramatic angle and just enough clouds up there for interest (y)

Although - you can't beat L glass :D

Yeah, tis true. I should probably just pull the 70-200 shot.

Image #2 for me too Dean. Its bang on theme, the first is a wee bit of a crowbar job. The second image works much better, loving the composition of it, made all the better with your processing. (y) from me Dean. Iain

Crowbar? Moi? ;)

I like the telegraph pole Dean- good angle and the black and white works well.

Thank you. :)

Love the telegraph pole and the clouds really make the shot.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. Had to wait around looking suspicious for the clouds to edge across the sky.

Telegraph pole for me as well (y)

Well composed, interesting sky.

Andy

Ta. :)

I like the well composed pole better than the l glass, not the glass Itself just the picture

Understand. I like the glass too...and the picture. :D

I like the telegraph pole .. interesting angle and patterns in the wood.

You get much better post (mail) than I do :)

Thanks. Yeah, but it dun 'arf cost a lot!

The angle of the 2nd shot and the fact its in B&W work really well and the sky helps add to it.

Liking the telegraph pole Dean. Nice lighting and the B&W suits it.

Liking the pole/post Dean.

You have made a pretty boring subject into a nice image with composition and pp skills.

Well done, Dan

:razz: I hate you.
Even your one-handed drunken portrait shots are better than my sober ones :LOL:
(y) Really good take on the theme and I also like the random profile shot to give it some variety.

The flower shot has worked well too . . . especially since it's not your usual thing.
The edges of the 2 nearest petals have just slipped out of focus, but other than that it looks pretty close to perfect to me.

Although the lens is a nice product shot, it has to be the telegraph pole for me.
What could have been a dull, boring subject has really come to life through the angle and the PP. And it looks like you timed it perfectly to get just the right amount of cloud in the shot.

Sorry I've got a bit behind with your pics.

Isolation: love it - clever idea and well taken and processed.

Quality: the flower for me -- lovely colours and good subject isolation (!) from the background.

Post: the lens is a good product shot (not easy to do, as I have found) but as an image I prefer the telegraph pole. Great angle and as Sarah says, excellent PP with perfect clouds.

Really like the post (telegraphy pole) Dean, that's great. I hate the first one you did, but I think that's just jealousy :LOL:

Liking the telegraph pole Dean. Nice lighting and the B&W suits it.

Thanks, Paul, much appreciated.

Liking the pole/post Dean.

You have made a pretty boring subject into a nice image with composition and pp skills.

Well done, Dan

Thanks, mate. :)

:razz: I hate you.
Even your one-handed drunken portrait shots are better than my sober ones :LOL: Fanks. :D
(y) Really good take on the theme and I also like the random profile shot to give it some variety.

The flower shot has worked well too . . . especially since it's not your usual thing.
The edges of the 2 nearest petals have just slipped out of focus, but other than that it looks pretty close to perfect to me. Yeah, had to use f/4 to get the shutter speed.

Although the lens is a nice product shot, it has to be the telegraph pole for me.
What could have been a dull, boring subject has really come to life through the angle and the PP. And it looks like you timed it perfectly to get just the right amount of cloud in the shot.

I was actually on my way to the post office to do a portrait of one of the ladies who work there, but this caught my eye on the way. I'm glad I stopped cos the portraits looked flat.

Sorry I've got a bit behind with your pics.

Isolation: love it - clever idea and well taken and processed.

Quality: the flower for me -- lovely colours and good subject isolation (!) from the background.

Post: the lens is a good product shot (not easy to do, as I have found) but as an image I prefer the telegraph pole. Great angle and as Sarah says, excellent PP with perfect clouds.

Thanks, mate.

Really like the post (telegraphy pole) Dean, that's great. I hate the first one you did, but I think that's just jealousy :LOL:

Cheers, John. It's a great lens. Glad I bit the bullet.

Catch up time :wave:

Ingredients.... a little predictable but very well done, a great mixture of colour an texture.

Stop....The mask, the shirt wow.... should be a crossing guard at a primary school :D

Isolation....:thinking: can't really add to what's already been said.

Quality....You have produced some quality shots this week.

Post....A case of lens aquisition syndrome I think...Glad you got the Tamron, I was looking at one myself but went for the Nikon instead. The second shot is a cracker.

Cheers, Scott. I'm starting to lose my inpiration though. Not sure I'm going to have time for too many 52 shots when the baby comes along soon.

So...week 24 - metal.
As I mentioned above I'm lacking inspiration. There just do no seem to be enough hours in the week. Anyway, I do like this old post so thought I'd have a play with my new 70-200 f/4 L.

Clickable.

Not sure I'm going to have time for too many 52 shots when the baby comes along soon.

Or the opposite could happen and your new bundle of joy could be a boost of inspiration for the final few themes.

Back