The23rdman's 52 for 2010- Week 24 - METAL

Thanks, guys.

Ian, you're a mentalist, but I love ya. :D

Born and bred in Leeds. What can I say?

:ty:

Ian.

So it's curry round at yours for the end of 52 celebration then? ;)

Seriously good shot Dean. Really, really like this.
It's definitely worth viewing large to appreciate it and I'm very impressed by the way you've kept the definition of the white plate against the white background.

Stop is slightly disturbing. He looks like he's enjoying himself a bit to much in that mask . . . a bit of a demented Superhero thing going on there :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Really interesting twist on the theme and brilliantly lit and executed as always.

Curry all round sounds like a great plan! I'll get the vat out. ;)

Yes, he did enjoy it a little too much!

That's a bit different... it fits the theme well, and is lit as we've come to expect.. too perfection. The mask gives it an added edge and twist...

:agree: with John's comments Dean. A creative and different take on (for me) an uninspiring theme.
ps any tips on using flash:D

Thanks, Iain. :D

Tips on using flash? Read strobist.com lighting 101 then lighting 102. Play, have fun. Learn how to use one light then build it up. Put up one light at a time. Have fun. Practice a lot!

Did I mention have fun? ;)

Thanks, Iain. :D

Tips on using flash? Read strobist.com lighting 101 then lighting 102. Play, have fun. Learn how to use one light then build it up. Put up one light at a time. Have fun. Practice a lot!

Did I mention have fun? ;)

In reply to your post in my thread Dean, I thought I'd set myself a challenge to get more from flash. I think it'd definately be worth doing, I think it opens so many more creative possibilities. Cheers Iain

Very polular shot for this week but defo one of the better ones Dean.

Like the lighting and the mask gives it another dimension.

Spot on

Iain, buying my strobist gear is the very best thing I've ever done for my photography. Everwhere I go I see potential to create backdrops and locations.

Thanks, Dan, much appreciated. I knew it'd be quite popular, but I think I was the first to post it. :D

Thanks Sonia. Lessons are always available. Where are you based?

Ingredients:

I zoomed all the way in to see the big picture and the detail, sharpness and colours are all fantastic.

Having zoomed right in so that the picture was bigger than my laptop screen I found that I preferred a tight crop with the bright colours and textures filling the frame, however that is probably just me - I tend to crop everything too tight.

I don't dislike the composition as you have it, just that all the 'action' in the shot is in the spices themselves rather than the plate or backdrop.

Nice work on the lighting.

Totally agree (and I often crop too tight, too!) I'm in awe of all your clever lighting. (y)

Stop: That's a scary looking mask - I wouldn't argue with him! :LOL: Again, it needs to be viewed large, imho, but spot on for the theme. Another good week. (y)

Jean

Stop is a fun image, if slightly scary! The lighting is very good, and I like the way the rear hand is almost disembodied against the dark background.

A bit late, but here it is...ISOLATION

I was a bit stumped this week (hence my lateness posting). I was going to do the same as so many and do a portrait of someone all curled up in a ball etc. but it felt like I'd taken the obvious route too often this year.

I hope this take on the theme is humourous as well as a bit dark.

This is shot with natural light and then processed in SEP to look like Ilford HP5 Plus 400 and given a blue tint.

Oh, and there are a couple of Lost related easter eggs. :)

I do advise that clicking for larger is absolutely essential.

Thanks, Carl. :) Ideas? Neverland, of course!

I'll get around to commenting on everyone elses shots now. :)

Excellent Dean.

Brilliant take on the theme and you are right, it has to be viewed large to read the letter properly :LOL: Not quite so sure on using Stoke On Trent NHS in such a frivolous way though :razz:

Brilliantly lit and well composed as always. PP works really well and the little touch of the wand adds to the image perfectly.

Andy

well you started on the pop early today, and that's a new keyboard and wacom tablet you owe me, as this one is soaked in G&T.

Fantastic idea......... How does Ali put up with your warped mind?

Thats funny Dean. I know a few sufferers of that disease lol. A totally different take on the theme.:LOL:

Don't we all? ;) Thank you.

Excellent Dean.

Brilliant take on the theme and you are right, it has to be viewed large to read the letter properly :LOL: Not quite so sure on using Stoke On Trent NHS in such a frivolous way though :razz:

Brilliantly lit and well composed as always. PP works really well and the little touch of the wand adds to the image perfectly.

Andy

Thanks, mate. Do you work for them? I just wanted the most boring place I could think of as I thought it'd be funnier. Yeah, the wand was a last minute idea for a bit of interest.:D

well you started on the pop early today, and that's a new keyboard and wacom tablet you owe me, as this one is soaked in G&T.

Fantastic idea......... How does Ali put up with your warped mind?

Haha! Sorry fella! Ali married me - do you think she's sane?? ;)

Ha ha ha that's crazy Dean, what a fabulous idea, as for the processing it looks spot on and the grain is so smooth and pleasant on the eye, what is sep?

Thanks, matey. SEP is SilverEfexPro.

Oh, and as nobody has noticed the Lost numbers are in there too. I'm such a geek.

Thanks, mate. Do you work for them? I just wanted the most boring place I could think of as I thought it'd be funnier. Yeah, the wand was a last minute idea for a bit of interest.:D

How very dare you :nono: I don't work for them but I do have to live here. I guess being central gives me easy access to photegenic places :LOL:

Andy

How very dare you :nono: I don't work for them but I do have to live here. I guess being central gives me easy access to photegenic places :LOL:

Andy

No offense meant fella. :D:D

LOL, Dean, that is so clever :D I really did not understand what it was all about until I saw the large version.

Brilliant :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. :)

:LOL: very good Dean... an unusual and funny idea for the theme and it works well.

Well done on a brilliant take on this weeks theme.
I wasn't going to click on the larger version but I'm glad I did

Dean, a very creative and individual take on last weeks theme.
Composition, lighting and processing are all perfect, with added humour gets my (y). Nowt more to add. What you got for this weeks theme? You've raised the bar with this one and gave yourself a challenge. Iain

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Love it !!!!
That's cheered me up no end tonight.
The grainy B&W and blue tint really works with it and there's some great attention to detail with the wand in the background.

A TOTALLY different feel to your usual stuff, but it ticks all the boxes for me this week.

Thanks, Sarah. One of my other hobbies/income streams is writing short stories. I think this might be the basis of a new one. :)

Dean, a very creative and individual take on last weeks theme.
Composition, lighting and processing are all perfect, with added humour gets my (y). Nowt more to add. What you got for this weeks theme? You've raised the bar with this one and gave yourself a challenge. Iain

Cheers, Iain. This weeks theme? Still haven't a clue, but it's my birthday on Friday so I might rope the clan in for a shot...

Two shots for me this week.

I knew I was going to use this weekends birthday BBQ fun to take a shot for my 52 this week. I was going to take a big group shot of all the quality people who came along to celebrate with me and help me have a quality time, but instead took the opportunity to take some quick portraits.

These all shot E-TTL with a handheld 430EX through Lumiquest III. It's tough shooting one handed - especially when a leeetle drunkled.

Both clickable.

The second was an attempt to take a decent quality shot of some of the lovely flowers in our garden. It's a discipline I'm not very good at, but hope this passes quality control!

I like your portraits, the ones you are slightly below catching some nice skies all work for me but the profile shot throws it a bit. It looks a bit odd with the others. For a one handed shoot with a few beers in the system its pretty good. Your garden shot is excellent.

Thanks, Chris. I actually agree with you about the profile shot. I put it in cos I just loved it so much, but I may have an edit and add a different one in keeping with the sky idea.

Back