Notice There's gon' be some new sheriffs in town

Snip:
No but a little sympathy may be in order for the rest of the hard work to come,

Hard work? Just how hard is it to drive over to Marcel's house with a small cardboard box to collect a hamster?

You did remember that one of you will need to collect the Server Hamster, didn't you? :oops: :$

meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss.jpg

Snip:

Hard work? Just how hard is it to drive over to Marcel's house with a small cardboard box to collect a hamster?

You did remember that one of you will need to collect the Server Hamster, didn't you? :oops: :$

Its more than that, its bedding, sawdust, sunflower seeds. Quite the responsibility....

Just a thought/question, once the hand over is complete will the LIKE icon get taken off ?
For me I think it can be to easy to click Like instead of actually saying what I like.
No, its staying.

This idea that the Like button has killed commenting is utter b****x. If people want to comment they can and do.

Just a thought/question, once the hand over is complete will the LIKE icon get taken off ?
Its one of the things that will be discussed at length (y)

Its more than that, its bedding, sawdust, sunflower seeds. Quite the responsibility....
And if we forget, she starts chewing the wires for food and bedding, hence the occasional blip :(

No, its staying.

This idea that the Like button has killed commenting is utter b****x. If people want to comment they can and do.
Its one of the things that will be discussed at length (y)

And if we forget, she starts chewing the wires for food and bedding, hence the occasional blip :(

Only liked to say it's seen and noted (y)

IMO the button can help reduce the number of posts repeating advice - liking a post with which one agrees is far easier than basically retyping/rewording an existing post.

This exactly, most of the time that is how I use it, "noted, thanks and nothing to add". I.e. I like that you commented
And that is exactly how it should be used (y)
But as I've been saying for years, since its addition, its become a very poor substitute,
for comments in the the photo sharing sites.
Face book has a lot to answer for.

Wow, what an exciting time to look forward to. Marcel, You have been the foundation stone for these 3 to stand on & the good news is that is was set in bedrock. Looking forward to the future..

But as I've been saying for years, since its addition, its become a very poor substitute,

TBH, I'd guess those that click Like on a photo post probably wouldn't have commented anyway.

One idea might be, if possible, to disable the button on the opening post of the thread.

I agree that Like is not very appropriate and think Agree would be more appropriate often. In the case of photo Critique Feedback I can’t see that a string of posts saying I like this a lot or similar is any better than a series of (y) .

TBH, I'd guess those that click Like on a photo post probably wouldn't have commented anyway.
One idea might be, if possible, to disable the button on the opening post of the thread.
That's not a bad call actually.
However, in all honesty, as much as I dislike it, in this digital age when everything has to be done faster,
I guess its here to stay.

Agree would be more appropriate often.
I agree too, and we do have
:agree:
However its quicker to click the like button at the bottom of the post
than to search out that little guy.
So I return to my original comment, it seems to be all about speed these days.

^^^^ this

I sometimes click like on photos where I really have nothing to say but appreciate that it was posted and I genuinely like the photo

sirch you never use profanity ! You are the most polite here ! Adhere to this, it's neat. Good luck new hierarchy.

I take it you haven't met him then.... :)

^^^^ this

I sometimes click like on photos where I really have nothing to say but appreciate that it was posted and I genuinely like the photo
Agree, but, and I’m not sure this works, I feel that clicking like shows the poster that the photo has been viewed and appreciated. Maybe there’s a better way?

:agree:
However its quicker to click the like button at the bottom of the post
than to search out that little guy.
So I return to my original comment, it seems to be all about speed these days.
This is the digital age. ;)

Perhaps disable the like button for film posts in the slow lane? :D

We've both been around the block a few times over the years,( me 11, you a little longer) Modding, reading posts, commenting on images posting images,
across most if not all forums.
I certainly noticed a drop in comments ( across the board) on photo sharing sites, around the time the like button was introduced.
Of course that maybe just a sign of the times, increase in membership numbers rather than the buttons fault.

I guess we will never know for sure.

Well I have to admit that was a bit of a surprise,
After a search it seems that the like button was introduced 10 years ago, way back in 2011!
I'd have sworn 5 years or less.

Doesn't time fly when you are having fun?
And of course member numbers would have been a lot less then, than the 60 odd K than in is today.

Of course that maybe just a sign of the times, increase in membership numbers rather than the buttons fault.
Probably worthy of a separate discussion, but the last ten years have seen a huge explosion in photography. Many newcomers (in the last 5 years??) have probably come from smartphone photography and the explosion of Instagram. I would say about 80% of my students fit that bill with the rest being older people who were trying to move from film to digital and get confuzzled by all the buttons and the digital side (memory cards, photoshop/lightroom and posting images online)

[Edit -I say "you" in this post quite a bit, but I mean the reader and not you personally Chris...]

If one looks at another photo sharing site - Flickr, there has been a large downturn in membership and investment in the community.

I suspect many people equate "good photographs" to "what gets lots of likes on Instagram" and thus it's no great leap to equate likes with good photography. If you add the majority of YouTube photography channels, this enforces that belief. Of course many people also know that that's simply not true, but I think they are in a minority.

I use the like button very much as an "I agree with what was said and there is no point in me posting the same thing". When I get likes from people, I assume the likers are doing the same. I tend to "like" photos that I like and very often do it when I see an image posted with no supporting text. Maybe in the "Show us yer..." threads, and other threads where different people post images on the same theme. (Panoramas, IR, Film Photos, Leica, black & white, street etc). I see the emojis as being a bit like guns. Not dangerous in themselves, but dangerous when used incorrectly :)

I rarely go near single images posted with no context. Mainly because I'm bored of saying "it looks a little under exposed" only to get "That was deliberate" as a response. If people want constructive feedback, then they should post what they were trying to achieve, and where they think they failed.

Occasionally, someone will do that and if I spot it, I will try and engage. Those threads are useful to me (because I get to try and put into words what I think about the image) and hopefully useful to the photographer (because they get another opinion).

Back in the olden days (IIRC) TP had a "Critique" subforum that ran alongside all the genre forums, and it was generally accepted that only photos in that subforum would get feedback. That was changed at some point to make all the forums "critique" friendly, and just have the one "photos for fun" subforum for no critique. Perhaps that was to try and get more people commenting?

The 52s are interesting and an anachronism to the overall "no feedback" we see in other threads. and whilst there are a lot of "great shot" posts, there are many people willing to offer feedback which is on the whole, gratefully (or at least graciously!) accepted. And I find the number of likes is very much reduced.

I suggested a long time ago, that it might be cool if there was a disclaimer/announcement type thing in the "Post an image" threads that says, "if you are looking for feedback, please give some sort of description of what you were trying to achieve, and if possible, what you think is missing or needs improvement" along with a "Feedback Reqd." tag of some sort to focus the eyes of people who want to give feedback onto the threads that want to receive it.

If you are posting an image with zero context and hoping for feedback - what exactly are you looking for people to say? You're wanting them to study your image, evaluate it based on their (very personal) idea of what constitutes "good"? Is that really going to be helpful to your photography? Or secretly, are you just wanting the likes and positive affirmations? If the latter - then I would suggest that Instagram is a much better place for that.

[There is a lot of generalisation in this post, but hopefully you get what I mean, and apologies for the length!]

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a time when you could click 'Critique' in the header of your message thereby encouraging people to say what they think about an image?

Critique seems to have connotations.

Comments or suggestions sounds a bit less scary.

Having the comments section with a 'How do I' kind of post template might at least find what the poster wants to find out in particular.

@Harlequin565 A lot of what you've said echoes a brief dialogue that I and Steve @SFTPhotography have had today elsewhere, in respect of competition entries but I think it equally applies to photos posted for feedback: it is very helpful and aids everyones learning in these cases, if full EXIF data is visible for such images, plus as you and Steve say, context and what the intention was.

[Edit -I say "you" in this post quite a bit, but I mean the reader and not you personally Chris...]
LOL no problem Ian, and not taken personally :D

All valid points, and again, I think much of it is down to facebook yet again, with people posting images and hoping their friends will
blow sunshine up their arse. or at the very least hit the (y) button.
I think that it maybe FB mentality that prevents a lot of people adding comments, especially when the poster here, is a total stranger to them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a time when you could click 'Critique' in the header of your message thereby encouraging people to say what they think about an image?
Indeed Martin,you are correct, and actually its still there in the drop down menu at the left of the title bar.

Opera Snapshot_2021-05-12_151105_www.talkphotography.co.uk.png

Last edited:

Bit the difference to faceache and here is, on fb a crap shot will be shared and everyone is like WOW that's a fantastic shot. Here the images are a damn site better.

Back in the olden days (IIRC) TP had a "Critique" subforum that ran alongside all the genre forums, and it was generally accepted that only photos in that subforum would get feedback. That was changed at some point to make all the forums "critique" friendly, and just have the one "photos for fun" subforum for no critique. Perhaps that was to try and get more people commenting?

Your recollection differs from mine. The "Critique" subforms were for those images where the poster wished to invite in-depth critique. more then normally would be given in the ordinary sharing forum which (accept for "photos for pleasure") images posted in were accepted could and would be critiqued.

I learned an awful lot from giving and receiving critique. Its a shame that its fallen by the wayside. I still think its the most valuable learning tool for a photographer. I'd like to see it encouraged more. I'm not sure how to achieve this.

Anyway good luck to all the new owners. Its hard to imagine how it could be in better hands

I suggested a long time ago, that it might be cool if there was a disclaimer/announcement type thing in the "Post an image" threads that says, "if you are looking for feedback, please give some sort of description of what you were trying to achieve, and if possible, what you think is missing or needs improvement" along with a "Feedback Reqd." tag of some sort to focus the eyes of people who want to give feedback onto the threads that want to receive it.
I had this in mind and when we get our feet under the table I might see what can be done

If you are posting an image with zero context and hoping for feedback - what exactly are you looking for people to say? You're wanting them to study your image, evaluate it based on their (very personal) idea of what constitutes "good"? Is that really going to be helpful to your photography? Or secretly, are you just wanting the likes and positive affirmations? If the latter - then I would suggest that Instagram is a much better place for that.
Honestly there are times when I really appreciate someone just posting good photos for us to enjoy, some people want to share without any ulterior motive and I am happy to enjoy looking at that work.

I'd like to see it encouraged more. I'm not sure how to achieve this.
Be the change you want to see - i.e. get on there and do some commenting.

To everyone who is saying "there should be more commenting" - the answer is simple - do some commenting!

I do. Its a bit disheartening when you take time to put together what (I think) are useful comments and they're not even acknowledged
But most of the time most people do acknowledge- Like - :) , rough with the smooth I guess

Bit the difference to faceache and here is, on fb a crap shot will be shared and everyone is like WOW that's a fantastic shot. Here the images are a damn site better.
There is that of course (y)

I learned an awful lot from giving and receiving critique. Its a shame that its fallen by the wayside. I still think its the most valuable learning tool for a photographer. I'd like to see it encouraged more.
Anyway good luck to all the new owners. Its hard to imagine how it could be in better hands
Me also Hugh and thanks for the good wishes.

Honestly there are times when I really appreciate someone just posting good photos for us to enjoy, some people want to share without any ulterior motive and I am happy to enjoy looking at that work.
That's a fair point Chris

. Its a bit disheartening when you take time to put together what (I think) are useful comments and they're not even acknowledged
Agreed Hugh.
Over the years I have learned that there are some that post on here, that never acknowledge feed back, nor do they ever comment on other peoples images.
:(

Thankfully they are in a minority

But most of the time most people do acknowledge- Like - :) , rough with the smooth I guess
Some cant even be arsed to do that unfortunately :(

Last edited:

I don't post many photos here and when I do, I tend to stick them in the relevant sections. Not sure if I've ever had any comments on them! Must be perfect in every way then. If I want to share photos properly, I'll show decent size prints.

Until I read this I was going to suggest that giving context to a photo is probably more likely to draw feedback, even just the EXIF or location might help but I support the above quote!

That's why I think there needs to be a clear delineation between people who want feedback and those that don't. Absolutely there should be a place for just sharing photos for fun, or simply not wanting feedback because you're happy with it. I just don't think it's clear on TP.

That's why I think there needs to be a clear delineation between people who want feedback and those that don't. Absolutely there should be a place for just sharing photos for fun, or simply not wanting feedback because you're happy with it. I just don't think it's clear on TP.

I guess it’s implied if the photo is posted in the ‘no crit’ thread but perhaps the poster should say that they are pleased with it and why?

Back