things that you dont see anymore

Kays catalogue ... when the clothes were modelled by drawings! :LOL:

Once a week 'bath night'

Little girls with ringlets in their hair (damn those rags were hard to sleep in)

Petticoats under dresses

'American Tan' tights (that vile orangey colour all the moms used to wear)

Nylon bed sheets :puke:

Carbolic soap.

Shirt & Tie rule in nightclubs.

Derelict houses.

Sunday best.

Old ladies polishing the front doorstep.

Boys in balaclavas, girls in knitted 'bobble hats'

Sterograms

Twintub washing machines.

:LOL:

I guess you call them flick up indicators too...

:LOL:

Derelict Houses. There's an interesting one that I overlooked.

They all seem to be bought up, knocked down, and flats built :(

There was an old house round the corner near my daughters school, up until last year. It was this old country house looking thing, set back, and surrounded by trees, and had a stream running by the side of it, and it was situated infront of a wooded / field area.

Was typically idyllic. Someone lived there, but it was desperately in need of modernisation.
Old wooden windows. Net curtains that hung from halfway down the window. Outhouses. It was one of those houses which would have had a log fire in the living room, and you could imagine waking up of a morning, freezing your potatoes off because there was no heating until you got to the fire downstairs.

Me and my mum used to say we really wanted to buy it and live there.
Middle of last year, we drove past, and the bulldozers were razing it to the ground. It's not flats yet, but I'd bet my kids pocket money that it will be soon.

... I'd bet you just for the fun of it, but knowing how much kids get for pocket money nowadays .. Best not.

Its cheaper to knock them down and rebuild unfortunately, unless you can get the heritage people involved....most frustratingly its the local councils who often let these places fall into decline, often taking ownership by default etc. ... Bring back squatters I say. :D

:LOL: @ Glo, bobble hats, forgotten all about those, my mum used to make me wear them :eek:
....and yeah, nylon sheets, jeeze what where we thinking. ..:puke:

Actually Adam ... 'we' didnt get nylon sheets in our house ... but my neighbours did...orange & turquoise!
I remember feeling terrible jealous of how trendy they were! :puke:
We didnt have quilts either .... just loads of itchy blankets, topped off by the candlewick beadspread that Min mentioned.

Please say there are pics of you in a bobble hat :LOL:

I used to love my itchy blankets....I think I remember having about 5 of em...lol

The top one was really wierd, I used to use it as a comforter, because it was kinda like a WW1 soldiers coat, duffley type, but itchy. As a littleun I used to squeeze it inbetween my frst two fingers as I went to sleep.....wierd :D

Ration books, I remember getting a huge b@ll@cking for tearing all the stamps out of a brand new book so it would be easier for my Mum.

Public phones with buttons A and B, I got another b@ll@cking and a clout round the ear for pressing one of the buttons coz I wanted to see the money come back, my Mum had just got connected so the fourpence didn't come back and she had no more money. Is that where 'getting a fourpenny one' came from? :LOL:

3 ducks on the wall
proper back loafers
candleabras on dining tables
tank tops in multi colours
chopper type saddles on bikes (the new chopper doesn't count cos it looks pants)
girls with flicked hair loaded with hairspray
cards pegged to bike wheels to make a noise
jacked up cars (probs cos the zero handling)
and........

v*rg*ns older than 15......:)

Gatefold album covers
Sounds, Melody Maker, Disc
Flexidiscs
Putting 6 singles on the turntable stacker
Your mum and dad's name scrawled on singles taken to parties
Records that actually started low in the charts and climbed!!!!
Pick of the Pops followed by Sing Something Simple on a Sunday evening
Dee Time!
Give away toys in comics - notably the thundercracker (triangular cardboard and paper that went bang when you flicked it sharply)
Round The Horne - Rambling Syd Rumpo!!!
Neddie Seagoon

Gatefold album covers
Pick of the Pops followed by Sing Something Simple on a Sunday evening

I remember that as a young kid. Every Sunday my Nan & Grandad would take us to West Kirby beach and make sure we were on our way home when Sing Something Simple started; they never missed it!!

They still make Coffee essence/flavouring thing. I see it in Asda all the time.

Camp Coffee is still going; well at least in the British Goods Stores over here in Toronto. I'll have to check the Use By Date :puke:

Bunty, Jackie and Just 17 magazines
The big old fashioned coach style prams (Silvercross) - now seem to be all these new fandangled 'travel systems'
Travelling in the passenger seat of the car on mum or dad's knee :eek:
Smells coming from the local brewery on 'brewing day'

Edit - oh, and the good old style rollerskates that used to fasten on the bottom of your shoes

Look-In! (Magazine)

Picture disc vinyls, and the free 7" records on the front of magazines, that were thin and floppy.

The big old fashioned coach style prams (Silvercross) - now seem to be all these new fandangled 'travel systems'

Had a few Nannies walk past me a few weeks back pushing Silvercross perambulators. Seems Society still like to have bigger and better over here.

Dan Dare on Radio Luxemburg.
Ink wells at school
Rod brakes on push bikes
Sticks and hoops
Fire cans
Spinning tops
Chickens up the garden
Kaolin poultices ( sent your neck green)

Fences with creosote freshly applied (I used to love the smell when I was a kid).
Dog poo which has been left on the street so long that it's gone hard and white.
'Lumo' socks.

Fences with creosote freshly applied (I used to love the smell when I was a kid).
Dog poo which has been left on the street so long that it's gone hard and white.
'Lumo' socks.

Creosote is now a controlled substance, and thus illegal to have :geek:

1d, 2d and 3d bangers, sold individually or by the dozen.

Hallowe'en lanterns made from swedes instead of wussy pumpkins.

Christmas morning TV programmes broadcast from children's hospital wards (thank heavens - they were seriously cringe-worthy and glurgy).

The TV testcard and the little white dot.

Double Diamond and Watney's Red Barrel.

A bus shelter with a complete set of glass..:(

Bloody vandals..:bat:

Trade Test Films on BBC2 during the day: Cantagallo, Paint, Homemade car to name but 3! I can never find anyone who recalls those!

Hallowe'en lanterns made from swedes instead of wussy pumpkins.

:LOL: We used to have swedes as my mum couldn't afford to buy us pumpkins. They took about 2 weeks to carve out - by which time Hallow'een had usually been & gone :LOL:

Castaway
Diamond White
Cider flavour ice lollies (they were nice..mmmm)

:LOL: We used to have swedes as my mum couldn't afford to buy us pumpkins. They took about 2 weeks to carve out - by which time Hallow'een had usually been & gone :LOL:

Cider flavour ice lollies (they were nice..mmmm)

Wow, memories flooding back. Agree about the skates and also scooters...big red one with a brake on the back wheel that you operated with your heel.

Wow, memories flooding back. Agree about the skates and also scooters...big red one with a brake on the back wheel that you operated with your heel.

Hmmm! cant think what they were called, but peeps used to have multi coloured plastic streamers that were pushed into the outside of the hollowed handle bars and flapped about as you rode along.

Where I lived, there was always a single bicycle tyre over a lamp post .... oh and do you remember what it was like before all those huge orange-lit lamp posts came out in force!

Home-made catapaults, home made bows & arrows, & home-made kites (that rarely worked).

Hmmm! cant think what they were called, but peeps used to have multi coloured plastic streamers that were pushed into the outside of the hollowed handle bars and flapped about as you rode along.

Where I lived, there was always a single bicycle tyre over a lamp post .... oh and do you remember what it was like before all those huge orange-lit lamp posts came out in force!

Home-made catapaults, home made bows & arrows, & home-made kites (that rarely worked).

The HSE put the kybosh on such things.
Boogies(carts) with stick on the wheel brake if you had the "GT" model.

Back