Things you learn late in photography...but are obvious to everyone else.

DSLRs have made new bodies so much more capable,
Oh definitely, more I'd never buy a camera first hand, i'd let someone else take the depreciation hit and get a great camera at a great second hand price

It's just called Digital Photography - An Introduction
There are Intermediate and then Advanced courses that follow on, but none are certificated or externally validated. They are evening courses to introduce and develop generic photography knowledge and skills with no pretension to being relevant to career or job, just for interest. However the college/faculty does teach HNC, HND and degree courses, and maybe one or two people might go on or over to those, but most of the students on my course at least are mature, not looking for a new career or even to make any side money out of it, just to develop their hobby. That's one of the nice things about it, because there's no pressure to deliver particular course or home work for any assessment.
@lindsay, That sounds just about right, I will have to take another look at my local college, as I think they start new courses in September. Thanks for all the info.

So what type of course is it, if there is no certificate or validation, I mean what is it called ?

This is my course currently on the term before September start. All details on there.

Indeed, Jungli and I have been doing very similar courses, his 10 weeks and mine 8, covering similar ground. The lack of assessment is rather nice, it makes it more relaxed and enjoyable. Interestingly we have had no dropouts over the first 6 weeks (from a starting cohort of 8),

Indeed, Jungli and I have been doing very similar courses, his 10 weeks and mine 8, covering similar ground. The lack of assessment is rather nice, it makes it more relaxed and enjoyable. Interestingly we have had no dropouts over the first 6 weeks (from a starting cohort of 8),

We've had one but not that they have actually said they are not coming.

Back this week after half-term last week.

Something I've still not fully learnt, many years into photography... Check if there is an SD card in the camera before you leave the hosue!

Drove up to Bakewell today, turned the camera on and got the dreaded message.
Have done something similar, I now have a SD card in my wallet. ;)

Yea I have a spare that lives in my camera bag - if I haven't had a brain fail then it's my backup for a card failure, and if I've had a brain fail then it's my safety net.

Something I've still not fully learnt, many years into photography... Check if there is an SD card in the camera before you leave the hosue!

I put the card back in the camera straight after copying off the files and only format it once it’s backed up
a few years ago I formatted the card straight away and something went wrong with the folder on the PC , luckily I was able to recover them
my current camera takes 2 cards so that’s an extra bit of peace of mind

Yea I have a spare that lives in my camera bag - if I haven't had a brain fail then it's my backup for a card failure, and if I've had a brain fail then it's my safety net.
That’s a good idea I do the same and with batteries too

That's why I've always plugged the camera via USB to transfer/import to Lightroom.

I do have a spare in my main camera backpack though too.

@Jungli Hi Satz, yes, I've put in my application, hoping it will run the Intermediate). It looks like this course will focus on studio work and building a portfolio, which is exactly what I'm needing help and direction with. £120 pounds this time, I think it's a 10 week course. What about you?

Thinking about it, it's going to be a different content, light trails were mentioned and more studio work.

Again, 10 weeks starts September.

Will let you know what I decide.

Back